Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Interesting....can anyone confirm how this works?

I would have thought if he had a 400k contract with Dogs, who then let him sign for us for $200k and they pay the rest, that his contract with us would only be $200k of our salary cap.

Or else, what's the point? We may as well give him the whole $400k if we're going to be charged that way against our cap
it would take $200k off the Warriors cap and $200k off the Bulldogs cap

If they release him they still have to pay the $400k and it comes off their cap. He can then be picked up by another club, similar to how Lodge was.

What I was getting at, perhaps not articulated very well, was do we have to contribute the minimum ie $220k or as long as the contract is above minimum and is being paid by someone then its ok. For example if we take over the Bulldogs contract of $400k with the condition that $300k is paid for by the Bulldogs and we only pay $100k is that acceptable by the NRL?

Yeah, I realised I probably misinterpreted what you were saying and deleted my message before your reply lol

Surely there must be rules to stipulate that a club taking on a player, who is being partially paid by another club, must be paid at least the minimum by the club taking on the player, i.e. the most the Bulldogs could pay of RFM's contract is 400k minus [insert minimum wage figure here].

We need the option to call a friend.. does anyone know a cap auditor?

If they release him they still have to pay the $400k and it comes off their cap. He can then be picked up by another club, similar to how Lodge was.

What I was getting at, perhaps not articulated very well, was do we have to contribute the minimum ie $220k or as long as the contract is above minimum and is being paid by someone then its ok. For example if we take over the Bulldogs contract of $400k with the condition that $300k is paid for by the Bulldogs off their cap and we only pay $100k from our cap is that acceptable by the NRL?
Also this isnt really how releasing works. when a player is released, ideally for the team the player just quits and walks out the door with nothing. But obviously players rarely do this, unless they are worth ore on the open market than their current contract. Instead they go negotiate the best deal they can with the two clubs and themselves.

where is everyone getting their 220k minimum contract from? its 130k in 2024.

I pulled that number straight out my ass then haha, Apologies to all those I have led astray here

Also this isnt really how releasing works. when a player is released, ideally for the team the player just quits and walks out the door with nothing. But obviously players rarely do this, unless they are worth ore on the open market than their current contract. Instead they go negotiate the best deal they can with the two clubs and themselves.

I feel like this is getting too caught up in the terminology, I get what you mean though.

Welcome by the way, a bit suspicious someone shows up out of the blue during this discussion.. Ray is that you! 👀😂

Also this isnt really how releasing works. when a player is released, ideally for the team the player just quits and walks out the door with nothing. But obviously players rarely do this, unless they are work ore on the open market than their current contract. Instead they go negotiate the best deal they can with the two clubs and themselves.
There should be no player dumb enough to just quit. If a club releases them they ae obliged to honour the amount of the contract ie Lodge with us and they then basically become a free agent. If the club says you are free to look elsewhere like with Curran then its a different situation again - that player is picking up a contract with some other club which you would think would be for the same or more, and it works for both parties. Otherwise a club will end up paying some freight in order to either get rid of a bad apple or free up a roster spot or rebalance the squad.

Surely there must be rules to stipulate that a club taking on a player, who is being partially paid by another club, must be paid at least the minimum by the club taking on the player, i.e. the most the Bulldogs could pay of RFM's contract is 400k minus [insert minimum wage figure here].
You dont really need a rule for this to occur.

Else nearly every single NRL club would be lining up to take up a discarded player if they have to pay less then the minimum for a top 25 spot.

What is more likely to happen is for a player like RFM who reportedly has 2 years on 400k, that a new club could offer him a 3 year deal, where say the Bulldogs pay 250k(this is an example), and the club taking him on pay 150k for the first 2 years. The 3rd year could be at 350k. Usually you will see teams taking on a contract propose a longer contract than the original one where the non subsidised years are at closer to what their original contract is worth, rather than the commonly assumed (especially on this forum) continuation of the subsidised contract value.

You dont really need a rule for this to occur.

Else nearly every single NRL club would be lining up to take up a discarded player if they have to pay less then the minimum for a top 25 spot.

What is more likely to happen is for a player like RFM who reportedly has 2 years on 400k, that a new club could offer him a 3 year deal, where say the Bulldogs pay 250k(this is an example), and the club taking him on pay 150k for the first 2 years. The 3rd year could be at 350k. Usually you will see teams taking on a contract propose a longer contract than the original one where the non subsidised years are at closer to what their original contract is worth, rather than the commonly assumed (especially on this forum) continuation of the subsidised contract value.
Also i believe you cant request a release and get a pay rise. I think the extra length of contract helps here too. like Walsh will still be on his Warriors salary at the Broncos but it would be possible for them to take up the last two years of his contract at the $450k the Warriors were paying him with a $900k third year added to the end.

Why would you let Curran go and then sign Mariner? Would you just not hold onto Curran for two more season?

I think the club have identified Laban and Halasima to progress next season.

I do think it's a risk and a risk worth taking, when we have a great coach.
Because more than likely Curran wanted to leave. Its usually not worth the hassle of holding onto a plyer that doesn't want to be there.

The boss of the NRL, Abdo or whatever his name is on Aussie TV last night was saying there will be incentives for teams the get players from other sports.
I didn’t see anymore details but sounds like if we sign rugby players the full amount won’t count to the cap.

Got to take advantage of that in this country if we can

The boss of the NRL, Abdo or whatever his name is on Aussie TV last night was saying there will be incentives for teams the get players from other sports.
I didn’t see anymore details but sounds like if we sign rugby players the full amount won’t count to the cap.

Got to take advantage of that in this country if we can
Yeah its been proposed that 1m salary cap exemption to get players from Rugby etc. Roosters meeting up the fijian wallabies winger for a deal for 2025. You would think that if any team was able to utilise this to the fullest it would be the Warriors.

Yeah its been proposed that 1m salary cap exemption to get players from Rugby etc. Roosters meeting up the fijian wallabies winger for a deal for 2025. You would think that if any team was able to utilise this to the fullest it would be the Warriors.

Yeah Nawaqanitawase- he’s probably the wallabies best player haha and wouldn’t cost half what they’re paying sualii.
Shrewd from the roosters- brain dead from the ARU.
Let’s get Leo Thompsons brother :D then entice him over too….
Wallabies don’t have the same pull as the all blacks though- we would probably have to look at the players just below that level who may be more suited to our game.

Why would you let Curran go and then sign Mariner? Would you just not hold onto Curran for two more season?

I think the club have identified Laban and Halasima to progress next season.

I do think it's a risk and a risk worth taking, when we have a great coach, the club needs some youth off the bench.
Because we need a prop (two actually) and Curran isn't a prop. We have plenty of backrowers and they're easier to bring in young. As far as I'm aware we have like maybe one young prop we could bring up, who is unlikely to be able to handle anywhere near the workload we require. We have 1.5 props it's insane. Not sure how this is hard for people to compute.

If AFB goes down are we planning on running Bunty and Jazz as our props? The club knew this situation was coming, so I bloody hope they have something better than RFM planned. But we literally must sign a prop or we're totally fucked next year barring another miracle injury run with AFB doing so much work.

Yep, get even a mid tier All Black but make sure it’s one that we think will go well and it’s a marketing dream and hopefully great on field as well.

Because we need a prop (two actually) and Curran isn't a prop. We have plenty of backrowers and they're easier to bring in young. As far as I'm aware we have like maybe one young prop we could bring up, who is unlikely to be able to handle anywhere near the workload we require. We have 1.5 props it's insane. Not sure how this is hard for people to compute.

If AFB goes down are we planning on running Bunty and Jazz as our props? The club knew this situation was coming, so I bloody hope they have something better than RFM planned. But we literally must sign a prop or we're totally fucked next year barring another miracle injury run with AFB doing so much work.
And Faitala Mariner is this prop?

Essential listening for everyone here. Andrew Webster interviewed by Devlin
It's on Spotify too but I pasted a free link.

Recruitment.. makes it seem like signing a back rower isn't out of the question.

Says Addin's grounds for release are legit. That's good enough for me

"Rugby players have come to me about playing league" more a throw away comment so don't expect a Barrett to sign, but interesting.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/53-i...ndroid_share&sc=android_social_share&pr=false

Yep, get even a mid tier All Black but make sure it’s one that we think will go well and it’s a marketing dream and hopefully great on field as well.
Although not a prop, Young Caleb Tangitau is the type of kid I'd love to see us grab from Union. Would be cheap enough with the NRL incentives included. 6ft 4 110kg and lightning quick. He can take Montz spot. Heaps of forwards I'd like to see in League. But none of them would suit prop? Mostly backrow(Akira Ioane/ Ardie Savea etc. .)Someone more in tune with the nz rugby scene might have a better idea.

Although not a prop, Young Caleb Tangitau is the type of kid I'd love to see us grab from Union. Would be cheap enough with the NRL incentives included. 6ft 4 110kg and lightning quick. He can take Montz spot. Heaps of forwards I'd like to see in League. But none of them would suit prop? Mostly backrow(Akira Ioane/ Ardie Savea etc. .)Someone more in tune with the nz rugby scene might have a better idea.

Tangitau had offer from storm out of high school pretty sure

Back