General YOUR 2023 WARRIORS TEAM

wizards rage

wizards rage

Their plans for him seem under cooked. Moist of the talk is that they want him at 14 in case an injury happens somewhere 1- through 13 and he will be able to help plug that gap.
Has there be thinking for what positions he will rotate through on nights where there are no injuries, which is most games, I jolly well hope so but wouldn't stake my house on it.
I would really hope at a minimum he plays 20 to 25 minutes at hooker each game to releive Egan who has shown he gets exhausted playing 80 himself.
Do they mean longer term injury rather than just injury during a game? Our team has been plagued by repeated injury to our players over many years.

Eg. vaileas out for 3 weeks so he covers centre; then Currens out for a month so he slots in there.

Jazz is also versatile for covering in game injury.

Reactions: Damo
RiceOwl

RiceOwl

Yeah he didnt sound very confident in his kicking game did he. And if i remember from his junior days it wasnt a strong point in his game either. Particulary concerning considering i cant recall Nicol Klockstad even kicking a ball,

Half your spine without a kicking game? hmm
I was surprised by that. I couldnt recall his kicking game tbf and the only part i could remember was him slotting the game winning FG in his debut game (I think!?).

Whats Metcalfs kicking game like? Just thinking if Shaun Johnson goes down where does our kicking game go then?

Egan can put boot to ball as well but not a strong suit either from memory?

RizNz

RizNz

I was surprised by that. I couldnt recall his kicking game tbf and the only part i could remember was him slotting the game winning FG in his debut game (I think!?).

Whats Metcalfs kicking game like? Just thinking if Shaun Johnson goes down where does our kicking game go then?

From what I have seen, Ronald Volkman has a good kicking game. Quite a big boot on him from memory, I'd say he comes in if Shaun goes down.

the borg

Yeah kicking is important all right... going by what Webby said about limiting the oppositions possession, then wouldn't 40/20s play a big part in his plan. So have we got the guys with the footy smarts and kicking ability to pull it off. Those opportunities dont come up very often in a game, but if done they are a complete game changers. Plus you get to keep the ball a lot longer if you score from it.

Reactions: Worried2Death
The Falcon

The Falcon

I know I shouldn't but I'm starting to get my hopes up the more I hear from Webby and Te Maire and some of the other new recruits. Looks like we might finally have some footy brains at the club and a coach who knows how to maximise our player's individual strengths. I've got a strange feeling I haven't felt for years, can't quite identify it, might even be optimism.
I’m with you !!.. just the intelligent chat is so good to hear and then those game play phrases..‘ we need to run it’ .. ‘ eyes up footy’ .. hard and straight’ … ‘ not just decoy runners’ ..

The Falcon

The Falcon

I think Metcalf’s kicking game is ‘chip n chase baby’! 🚀

Mullayo

This is going to sound strange for a team that came second to last, but it struck me that we are actually in a 'win-now' window.

Hear me out. Last night, I was looking at a predicted lineup on Youtube and the guy listed their ages and NRL games.

The Aussie hacks have set an arbitrary amount of 50 appearances as the benchmark for solidity. Also, 25-28 is considered a player's prime years.

Games-Name-Age
73 Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 27
170 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 27
90 Montoya 26
53 Pompey 24
68 Te Maire Martin 27
225 Shaun Johnson 32 - likely last year
186 Dylan Walker 27
38 Curran 24
97 Niukore 26
128 Barnett 28
195 Tohu Harris 30
133 Addin 27
87 Egan 24
106 Jazz 27
100 Bunty 26
54 Sironen 26

Looking at those numbers, this is not the novice team they're made out to be. This is a team that should be in their prime and in 2-3 years will likely be in decline.
We got rid of a lot of Uncle Fester deadwood and now it's time to deliver. No excuses.

Defence

Defence

This is going to sound strange for a team that came second to last, but it struck me that we are actually in a 'win-now' window.

Hear me out. Last night, I was looking at a predicted lineup on Youtube and the guy listed their ages and NRL games.

The Aussie hacks have set an arbitrary amount of 50 appearances as the benchmark for solidity. Also, 25-28 is considered a player's prime years.

Games-Name-Age
73 Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 27
170 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 27
90 Montoya 26
53 Pompey 24
68 Te Maire Martin 27
225 Shaun Johnson 32 - likely last year
186 Dylan Walker 27
38 Curran 24
97 Niukore 26
128 Barnett 28
195 Tohu Harris 30
133 Addin 27
87 Egan 24
106 Jazz 27
100 Bunty 26
54 Sironen 26

Looking at those numbers, this is not the novice team they're made out to be. This is a team that should be in their prime and in 2-3 years will likely be in decline.
We got rid of a lot of Uncle Fester deadwood and now it's time to deliver. No excuses.
Fark yeah good post.
When u look at it like that, it’s a very experienced side with a lot of them in their best years.
A much better balance than past years where we’ve had players past their prime trying to carry players who weren’t quite ready.
This does give me hope- should be a pretty solid outfit really.

snake77

snake77

The poor position on the ladder last year does mean I'm trying to be realistic in my expectations. Too many poor years since 2011 have worn on me. Last year's ladder position will probably mean we will be written off. Most of the analysts will probably not look closely at who we have recruited.

We have recruited well. Instead of 3-5 players overall with 1-2 of them likely to be in first grade and some fringe players, you can see quite a few of them being in the side which will change the dynamics.

You can see why each player was recruited and what they could add. A new coach looking to make his mark.

I've mentioned a few times about a theory I have that rebuilding from the bottom of the table is easier than mid-table. Mid-table you try and tweak and improve. Bottom of the table you need to commit to it. Gould as much as he talks about pathways does recruit heavily as he gets those systems in place. I had similar thoughts before 2018 when we recruited heavily. The problem was continuing that improvement the following seasons.

Five&Last

Five&Last

I’d still leave Berry and Kosi in reserve grade to develop.
One of them will be in the full strength starting side (alongside Vailea), such is our outside backs depth at the moment.

Will just be whoever impresses most in preseason out of the two.

Having Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad at the back and Te Maire Martin in halves will allow us to roll out two inexperienced guys more so than last year.

Waipiro

Their plans for him seem under cooked. Moist of the talk is that they want him at 14 in case an injury happens somewhere 1- through 13 and he will be able to help plug that gap.
Has there be thinking for what positions he will rotate through on nights where there are no injuries, which is most games, I jolly well hope so but wouldn't stake my house on it.
I would really hope at a minimum he plays 20 to 25 minutes at hooker each game to releive Egan who has shown he gets exhausted playing 80 himself.
I think we dont have to reinvent the wheel here.....utilise him as Manly did coming on after 25 and get him involved. Hes dangerous with ball in hand through the middle and has a good passing game.
The fact he can cover so many positions is the luxury on the bench so we can stack it with forwards to help support Addin Fonua-Blake and get the halves on the front foot.

Miket12

Miket12

The RSS link to this article about the Warriors halves for this season is behind the Herald’s paywall so for those who haven’t been able to read it, here’s the article….

Rugby league: Replenished halves leave Warriors with welcome conundrum for 2023 NRL season​

Building a cohesive halves combination will again be a puzzle for the Warriors in 2023.

The club’s halves stocks have undergone a complete overhaul for 2023 with Shaun Johnson the sole survivor from the 2022 first-team squad.

There was no stability in the halves pairings at the Warriors last season; Johnson played alongside five different halves while the club ran out eight different combinations over the course of their 24-game season. Five of the Warriors’ eight combinations played just one game together.

Johnson is expected to remain the team’s first-choice halfback in 2023, while newcomers Luke Metcalf (Cronulla Sharks) and Te Maire Martin (Brisbane Broncos) join young gun Ronald Volkman in competing to play alongside the veteran star.

While 2022 saw the halves turn into a merry-go-round, there is reason to be intrigued by this year’s options.

Martin is experienced and has played alongside Johnson with the Kiwis. He has a handy kicking game in general play and he is smart with his option-taking close to the line. He shapes up as the early frontrunner to partner Johnson in the halves, allowing the younger Metcalf (23) and Volkman (20) to continue their development.

Martin also provides the team with an option at fullback, along with fellow recruit Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad - who is also a proven centre - which could aid in opening up minutes for the younger players.

Whatever the case may be, Metcalf welcomed the competition in the squad and was looking forward to staking his claim to first grade minutes.

“You can’t just have one or two; you need at least four, so the more the merrier,” Metcalf said of the competition in the halves.

“You’ve got to have competition and boys competing for spots. There’s nothing wrong with it.”

Metcalf’s arrival at the club ends a long wait for the 23-year-old who signed with the Warriors in November of 2021 but had to see out the final year of his contract with the Sharks last season.

He brings a good ball-running option to the club, and uses his speed to his advantage at every opportunity. In just seven NRL appearances across two seasons, he has scored three tries. He describes his style of play as “eyes-up footy” and he plays with confidence.

There were suggestions the Warriors were hopeful of getting him to the club earlier, however Metcalf saw out his year in limbo, spending most of it in reserve grade as established halves Matt Moylan and Nicho Hynes – the latter winning 2022′s Dally M Award – running the show in first grade.

Metcalf has had a wealth of knowledge to tap into during his time in the NRL to date. Before joining the Sharks, he developed through the Manly Sea Eagles’ junior ranks when Daly Cherry-Evans and Trent Hodgkinson were paired in the halves at the top level.

While he didn’t see as much first grade action as he would have liked last year – with just one appearance – Metcalf said he embraced the opportunities to learn that were afforded to him by spending another year in the Shire.

“I had quite an enjoyable year at Cronulla, actually,” he said. “I had a good crew there, there were a lot of good boys, (Craig Fitzgibbon) is a good coach and I learned a lot from him. It didn’t go the way I wanted it to and I didn’t get many games in first grade, but I had a good year learning and I couldn’t be more grateful for my time in Cronulla.

“I feel like I’m ready to take that next jump in my career, and those boys have played a big part in that”.

Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
Dunno what peoples expectations are like for this season.

Mine have been permanently lowered. Nothing will change that no matter who I name out of our squad as a preferred line up.

Fundamentally I want them to select based off attitude and cop the losses, recruitment in the same vein.

Fix the fundamental culture through team selection and take hit this year...like Anderson did in 2001 with a team that made the eight because he had them thinking the right way about football. Having said that....assuming everyone is up for it....

1. Metcalf
2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
3. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
4. Pompey
5. Kose
6. Te Maire Martin
7. Johnson / Volkam (Johnson and the injury thing)

The forwards I have no way to fix the Propping issue, we are short of at least three proper Props there and it is a disaster.

Addin Fonua-Blake then a bunch of tackling slow running too lean backrowers with old legs does not make a Propping rotation.

Potentially bite the Bullet and throw names like Ale in there, rotate some young boys, cop some hidings and grow some props rather than try make Props out of...not props....I dunno I'm a bit disturbed by our forwards.

Hooker we are shy of one hooker for injury cover too....the Pack is a mess.

VictorRadleysScrotum

Dunno what peoples expectations are like for this season.

Mine have been permanently lowered. Nothing will change that no matter who I name out of our squad as a preferred line up.

Fundamentally I want them to select based off attitude and cop the losses, recruitment in the same vein.

Fix the fundamental culture through team selection and take hit this year...like Anderson did in 2001 with a team that made the eight because he had them thinking the right way about football. Having said that....assuming everyone is up for it....

1. Metcalf
2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
3. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
4. Pompey
5. Kose
6. Te Maire Martin
7. Johnson / Volkam (Johnson and the injury thing)

The forwards I have no way to fix the Propping issue, we are short of at least three proper Props there and it is a disaster.

Addin Fonua-Blake then a bunch of tackling slow running too lean backrowers with old legs does not make a Propping rotation.

Potentially bite the Bullet and throw names like Ale in there, rotate some young boys, cop some hidings and grow some props rather than try make Props out of...not props....I dunno I'm a bit disturbed by our forwards.

Hooker we are shy of one hooker for injury cover too....the Pack is a mess.
Agreed, it all starts up front and unfortunately our propping stocks are looking very lean and not first-grade quality. Not great squad management I think it's fair to say.

Reactions: Sup42