General YOUR 2023 WARRIORS TEAM

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
  • 326558504_402340678764561_6127699977843354819_n.jpg
Who’s this?
Sagele Aukusitino?
Yeah thats him. Wellington kid. Train and trial contract with Manly preseason so must have been cut and trying for NSW Cup here now...

Fonzie

Fonzie

Contributor
Some thought lines:

Webby seems to want a model where the halves are both running threats, and likes the ball playing lock. That ‘lock carries and hits edge backrower or goes out the back to a half’ model. Only Tohu Harris and Walker can do that, so that’s your 13 rotation.

If Addin Fonua-Blake plays 60 mins, Bunty 30, Ale 30, then we need to find another 40 mins of prop. Barnett and Tohu Harris doing 20 each?

Given we’re a couple of props short back 5 yardage will be more important than ever. Based on that Kosi probably gets a start.

We will likely be compressing in D to hold bigger middles, and relying on our mobility to work hard from the inside pushing out. Niukore is perfect for that. How mobile is Curran these days?

Worried2Death

Worried2Death

Interesting comments from Te Maire Martin on the spine, an underated Egan, and his thoughts on Webster

I know I shouldn't but I'm starting to get my hopes up the more I hear from Webby and Te Maire and some of the other new recruits. Looks like we might finally have some footy brains at the club and a coach who knows how to maximise our player's individual strengths. I've got a strange feeling I haven't felt for years, can't quite identify it, might even be optimism.

Jay M

Jay M

Contributor
We will likely be compressing in D to hold bigger middles, and relying on our mobility to work hard from the inside pushing out. Niukore is perfect for that. How mobile is Curran these days?
That's definitely a panthers D model. I'd be worried about our edges though, given the previous years.

Need two good defensive centres to make that work, especially given Shaun Johnson and Te Maire Martin aren't great defensive halves.

Wheels

I know I shouldn't but I'm starting to get my hopes up the more I hear from Webby and Te Maire and some of the other new recruits. Looks like we might finally have some footy brains at the club and a coach who knows how to maximise our player's individual strengths. I've got a strange feeling I haven't felt for years, can't quite identify it, might even be optimism.
Worried 2 death is optimistic- love it!

TeetsNRL

TeetsNRL

That's definitely a panthers D model. I'd be worried about our edges though, given the previous years.

Need two good defensive centres to make that work, especially given Shaun Johnson and Te Maire Martin aren't great defensive halves.

Need a way better defence performance in the middle too. Teams were rolling down the centre way too easy last season.

The whole defence falls apart if the middle can’t dominate the 1st 3 tackles. The key to the Panthers defence is that they barely even give you a chance to cross half way, let alone put on spreads to the edge.

The South’s GF was a great example, Cody’s patience broke because he never had any good ball to put a play on and he tried to force the issue from his own half.

NRL attacks are too good, if the other team has all the ball and they’re getting shots at your edge every set then they’re going to leak eventually. Tighter ruck control early in the set will make it easier on the edges to defend.

Defence

Defence

His comments on defence and kicking didn’t really fill me with confidence- at least he’s working on it but it does make me wonder if he should be playing fullback with metcalf at 6.
Seems like a solid dude though with a good head on his shoulders- he’s a class player but I think that calm head is where he can really add some value.

jmb_31

jmb_31

Luke Metcalf
Marcello Montoya
Viliame Vailea
Marata Niukore
Dallin Watene-Zelzniak
Te-Maire Martin
Shaun Johnson
Mitch Barnett
Wade Egan
Addin Fonua-Blake
Tom Ale
Josh Curran
Tohu Harris

Dylan Walker
Jackson Ford
Jazz Tevaga
Freddie Lussick

I’m sure new recruits are on the way with 26 roster spots atm?
Realistic buys who aren’t usually in their clubs best 17

Backs,
Will Warbrick
Max Feagai
James Schiller
Josiah Karapani

Forwards,
Eddie Blacker
Corey Jensen
Emre Guler
I was really impressed with Jensen in the Broncos games I watched last year, he'd be a good addition. He's a lot bigger than you'd expect.

Jay M

Jay M

Contributor
Need a way better defence performance in the middle too. Teams were rolling down the centre way too easy last season.
Our linespeed has been poor for 2-3 seasons. If we sit back on our heels, they will get that roll on up the middle. Need to get in their faces and push out to shut down any edge issues (aka the umbrella defence as opposed to the very slow up and in D line that we have been using which gives them easy overlaps.

Boats n Hoes

Boats n Hoes

Ruck speed a big issue on defence, hence why i think Webby's putting a big emphasis on the wrestle this off season. Nice to hear they'll be pushing from inside out as opposed to our edges jamming in early and getting caught out on the overlap as they consistently were last season.

Starts at the ruck, slowing that ptb should give our line time to set.

Boats n Hoes

Boats n Hoes

His comments on defence and kicking didn’t really fill me with confidence- at least he’s working on it but it does make me wonder if he should be playing fullback with metcalf at 6.
Yeah he didnt sound very confident in his kicking game did he. And if i remember from his junior days it wasnt a strong point in his game either. Particulary concerning considering i cant recall Nicol Klockstad even kicking a ball,

Half your spine without a kicking game? hmm

Noitall

Noitall

Yeah he didnt sound very confident in his kicking game did he. And if i remember from his junior days it wasnt a strong point in his game either. Particulary concerning considering i cant recall Nicol Klockstad even kicking a ball,

Half your spine without a kicking game? hmm
Think it all depends on our field position, Shaun Johnson has the distance in his kicks but Te Maire Martin is capable of chips and grubbers looking for players close to the line or repeat sets. Egan has a decent boot and could kick from dummy half or be first receiver on some last tackles if someone can provide quick enough service to him when required.

6Again

Of course the precursor to our lack of line speed and weak defence through the middle is often attributed to fatigue when the flow of possesion goes against us.

Webby made a point of highlighting how important possesion is on the TWL podcast, some improvement there would go a long way towards helping to fix that for us... despite best intentions without gas in the tank it's differcult to kill momentum under the modern interpretation of the game with tackle count restarts etc.

Boats n Hoes

Boats n Hoes

Think it all depends on our field position, Shaun Johnson has the distance in his kicks but Te Maire Martin is capable of chips and grubbers looking for players close to the line or repeat sets. Egan has a decent boot and could kick from dummy half or be first receiver on some last tackles if someone can provide quick enough service to him when required.
Chips and grubbers still take skill and a fine touch.

Definitely hope we see more kicking from Egan this year.

Reactions: Noitall
Tragic

Tragic

Contributor
Some thought lines:

Webby seems to want a model where the halves are both running threats, and likes the ball playing lock. That ‘lock carries and hits edge backrower or goes out the back to a half’ model. Only Tohu Harris and Walker can do that, so that’s your 13 rotation.
I think Barnett can do that, every shot of him at preseason training is of him passing. Looks like he is practicing for that role.

Wrighty

Wrighty

Interesting , cheers for the heads up. But then where does Walker fit? It’s a Rubix cube this
Their plans for him seem under cooked. Moist of the talk is that they want him at 14 in case an injury happens somewhere 1- through 13 and he will be able to help plug that gap.
Has there be thinking for what positions he will rotate through on nights where there are no injuries, which is most games, I jolly well hope so but wouldn't stake my house on it.
I would really hope at a minimum he plays 20 to 25 minutes at hooker each game to releive Egan who has shown he gets exhausted playing 80 himself.

AlexM

AlexM

Their plans for him seem under cooked. Moist of the talk is that they want him at 14 in case an injury happens somewhere 1- through 13 and he will be able to help plug that gap.
Has there be thinking for what positions he will rotate through on nights where there are no injuries, which is most games, I jolly well hope so but wouldn't stake my house on it.
I would really hope at a minimum he plays 20 to 25 minutes at hooker each game to releive Egan who has shown he gets exhausted playing 80 himself.
Or he plays as an extra middle and just runs at tired middles and does a bit of ball playing