General YOUR 2023 WARRIORS TEAM

Shaun Johnson kicking game is massively underrated imho.
I watch other “elite” half’s put in shit kicks every week and it’s always “right idea there- he just put a bit too much on it”…
Soon as Shaun Johnson puts one long it’s his fault we lost.
I’m not very good at finding stats so may get shot down here but I did recall seeing this from earlier in the year that rated our kicking game the best in the comp…

CLUBFDOLKFS40/20TOTAL
Warriors1213227
Sea Eagles1411126
Eels149225
Roosters1310124
Raiders811120
Bulldogs136120
Sharks613019
Panthers126119
Dragons 611219
Titans96015
Storm411015
Knights87015
Cowboys123015
Tigers96015
Broncos77014
Rabbitohs 73010
Legend: FDO = FORCED DROPOUT, LKFS = LONG KICKS FINDING SPACE, 40/20 = 40/20 KICK

Honestly kicking is the least of our worries.
Also why are we assuming metcalf has a better kicking game than tmm? I would’ve thought it was the other way around.

Shaun Johnson kicking game is massively underrated imho.
I watch other “elite” half’s put in shit kicks every week and it’s always “right idea there- he just put a bit too much on it”…
Soon as Shaun Johnson puts one long it’s his fault we lost.
I’m not very good at finding stats so may get shot down here but I did recall seeing this from earlier in the year that rated our kicking game the best in the comp…

CLUBFDOLKFS40/20TOTAL
Warriors1213227
Sea Eagles1411126
Eels149225
Roosters1310124
Raiders811120
Bulldogs136120
Sharks613019
Panthers126119
Dragons611219
Titans96015
Storm411015
Knights87015
Cowboys123015
Tigers96015
Broncos77014
Rabbitohs73010
Legend: FDO = FORCED DROPOUT, LKFS = LONG KICKS FINDING SPACE, 40/20 = 40/20 KICK

Honestly kicking is the least of our worries.
Also why are we assuming metcalf has a better kicking game than tmm? I would’ve thought it was the other way around.
Metcalf averaged 202 metres per game kicking in the new south wales cup in 2022
TMM averaged 30 metres per game as a standoff for Cowboys
Metcalf definitely a better kicking option

I have thought more about these two backline possibilities and the kicking issue

Backline A
1 CNK
2 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
3 Vaillea
4 Montoya
5 Kosi
6 TMM
7 Shaun Johnson

Backline B
1 TMM
3 Vaillea
4 CNK
5 Kosi
6 Metcalf
7 Shaun Johnson

Upon consideration they will go with backline A and just suck up the problems with kicking.
TMM's average of 30 metres per game is the same as Kodi's this year who also averaged 30 this year. Kodi would put in 1 or 2 kicks per game so if TMM is like Kodi he also will be good for at least one kick per game. Egan will just have to step up. He averaged just 4 metres per game this year but did manage 20 metres per game last year.

Backline A I rated as a 7 out of 10 and Backline B only a 6 for Defence.
Defence wins games in the NRL. CNK is one of the elite defensive fullbacks when in form. They will want him at fullback.

Finally here is another out my wazoo analysis
Round 24 2022 Warriors points for 382 points against 673 (worst in the NRL)
I think our points for will improve a little bit as our defence will lead to more possession. The points against will come tumbling down I figure.
I think we can shave 10 points a game less conceeded. Primarily from having more experienced centres and far better defensve fullback.
10 points times 24 games is 433 points conceded (673-240). Which this year would have placed us around 7th for points conceded.

1 CNK/Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
2 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak/CNK
3 Niukore
4 Walker
5 Montoya
6 Asi/Volkman
7 TMM
8 Harris
9 Egan
10 Taupau 1 year deal
11 Curran
12 Murchie
13 Barnett

14 Tevaga
15 Ben Murdoch-Masila
16 Afoa
17 Addin Fonua-Blake

Johnson said he hasn't delivered. He can go not deliver in reserve grade. Still don't see a player they can build a team around.
Like your centres.
As I posted, Our whole season rests on Webster figuring out the best positions for the utility players such as walker and niukore.

To me there is still a lot of questions on various positions or combinations.

Te Maire Martin are we better off with him in the halves or at fullback?
He suits the modern fullback role. Logic would be Johnson and Martin in the halves. At fullback we can slot in either Volkman or Metcalf.

The condition CHT is in. More as to me he has been out of sight out of mind not being in first grade. Is his injury still affecting him? He was extremely fit when he first started at the Raiders. Something he took from RTS. We need to get some miles in him over the off season.

What position do they see Metcalf playing?

Is Volkman better with a full year in NSW Cup and slotting in when needed? Then coming in after Johnson retires?
He's shown he has composure for first grade.

Can we squeeze Harris to 13 which might be better for our attack. Or are we too short of quality front rowers that he will need to stay there.

Our back rowers what sides do they suit best?
From what I've seen of Barnett and Niukore they have usually been on the right or in the middle. It might seem like a minor thing but if your not use to running the lines or passing on the other side it would take some work.

As much as I like Curran's improvement and his energy watching the other two playing for their current clubs they seem like they own their side of the field. They know their roles quite well. Watching a few times tonight he get caught in field which the Titans took advantage of.

Then there is still the style of play which might force some selections a specific way.

Harris will probably be listed at 10, but he'll be playing that Yeo role regardless of jersey number. Much like Afoa has been a prop despite being listed at lock.

That's why I think the way Ale has come back for Redcliffe and then stepped up to first grade cleared the picture a little. So important for us that he has a big off season.

I think regardless of jersey number our pack will be.

8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Egan
10. Afoa
11. Barnett
12. Curran
13. Harris

14. Walker - can cover every position except prop.
15. Niukore - impact off bench
16. Ale - impact off bench
17. Tevaga - always brings passion and aggression.

Other forwards
Kepu
Kepu
Sironen
Lussick
Pene
Otokulo
Ben Murdoch-Masila

Backs/halves are way too flexible to know what the hell is going to happen.

Vailea may have given himself the inside track. A big off season and more confidence would be great. If CNK is fullback then one of Martin or Metcalf will miss out.

Reactions: dantheman
Shaun’s kicking metres etc is great. My only concern from this years game plan was that Shaun got 70-80 percent of the 5th tackle plays. It was outrageous how much he touched the ball. Him at this stage of his career should not be touching it that much. The fact we have no halves partner yet to take away from his touches is concerning and the reason why I wouldn’t keep ASI etc. no one wanted the ball more than Shaun. I don’t blame Shaun but I think the balance is way off. Benji on his podcast with yktr got it right when he said that when they prepared to play Tonga I think it was 2019 benjis sole job was to set Shaun up and put him back in spots that are his strengths. I still think Shaun can do what he does not to the extent like what a Dylan brown can do with footwork etc but give him an organising half who can take away some of the kicking responsibilities and get him in those 2nd receiver spots where he can isolate backrowers etc. I don’t think metcalf Tmm volkman or anyone that we have atm is the solution unfortunately but the current style Shaun plays isn’t the one we need

I have thought more about these two backline possibilities and the kicking issue

Backline A
1 CNK
3 Vaillea
4 Montoya
5 Kosi
6 TMM
7 Shaun Johnson

Backline B
1 TMM
3 Vaillea
4 CNK
5 Kosi
6 Metcalf
7 Shaun Johnson

Upon consideration they will go with backline A and just suck up the problems with kicking.
TMM's average of 30 metres per game is the same as Kodi's this year who also averaged 30 this year. Kodi would put in 1 or 2 kicks per game so if TMM is like Kodi he also will be good for at least one kick per game. Egan will just have to step up. He averaged just 4 metres per game this year but did manage 20 metres per game last year.

Backline A I rated as a 7 out of 10 and Backline B only a 6 for Defence.
Defence wins games in the NRL. CNK is one of the elite defensive fullbacks when in form. They will want him at fullback.

Finally here is another out my wazoo analysis
Round 24 2022 Warriors points for 382 points against 673 (worst in the NRL)
I think our points for will improve a little bit as our defence will lead to more possession. The points against will come tumbling down I figure.
I think we can shave 10 points a game less conceeded. Primarily from having more experienced centres and far better defensve fullback.
10 points times 24 games is 433 points conceded (673-240). Which this year would have placed us around 7th for points conceded.
I didn’t like the Fusitua/Maumalo wing combo at all, but that ones worse.
How do we let go of Deon Atumounai and Vaega and keep Kosi. Both wingers I’d be trying to get back

Harris will probably be listed at 10, but he'll be playing that Yeo role regardless of jersey number. Much like Afoa has been a prop despite being listed at lock.

That's why I think the way Ale has come back for Redcliffe and then stepped up to first grade cleared the picture a little. So important for us that he has a big off season.

I think regardless of jersey number our pack will be.

8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Egan
10. Afoa
11. Barnett
12. Curran
13. Harris

14. Walker - can cover every position except prop.
15. Niukore - impact off bench
16. Ale - impact off bench
17. Tevaga - always brings passion and aggression.

Other forwards
Kepu
Kepu
Sironen
Lussick
Pene
Otokulo
Ben Murdoch-Masila

Backs/halves are way too flexible to know what the hell is going to happen.

Vailea may have given himself the inside track. A big off season and more confidence would be great. If CNK is fullback then one of Martin or Metcalf will miss out.
Love the starting pack and bench, but that reserves list is depressing.

Kepu’s are overhyped or not ready for next year, Pene and Sironen need to be released, and a big off season for Murdoch and put him back in the back row.
2 more Workman props and a back rower is what we need.

Reactions: ndp26
Metcalf
Montoya
Vailea
Nicoll-Klokstad
Tuimalo-Vaega
Martin
Johnson
Guler
Egan
Fonua-Blake
Barnett
Curran
Harris

Walker
Ale
Niukore
Tevaga

Still a toss up between Metcalf and Martin at 5/8. I’ve watched Martin closely and I like him, but he’s being overhyped way too much. For me there’s no way he should be in contention for Full back he just doesn’t offer enough.
This is our best suited spine for next year imo

CNK-Effort, Defence, Metres
Metcalf- X factor, Speed, Ball play
Johnson-Driver, Kicking game, Ball play
Egan- Smarts

Last edited:

Warriors confirm staggering 15 departures at end of season​

Half of the Warriors squad has already, or is set to depart.​

The New Zealand Warriors have confirmed a long list of 15 players who will depart the club with the season now complete.

A number of the departures - Matt Lodge (Sydney Roosters), Kodi Nikorima (South Sydney Rabbitohs - Dolphins next year) and Ashley Taylor (retirement) have already taken place, while another handful were already known with Euan Aitken (Dolphins), Jesse Arthars (return to Broncos after loan), Chanel Harris-Tavita (no club), Eliesa Katoa (Melbourne Storm) and Reece Walsh (Brisbane Broncos) were already announced.

A group of new players however have had their futures confirmed, with the Warriors confirming that all of Daejarn Asi, Lleyton Finau, Jackson Frei, Dunamis Lui, Jack Murchie, Pride Petterson-Robati and Junior Ratuva will all exit the club.

Young utility option Asi joined the Warriors from the North Queensland Cowboys following the retirement of Ashley Taylor in search of extra first grade minutes.

He has impressed in limited opportunities, and it was tipped that he may have received a contract extension at the club, however, with the impending arrival of Luke Metcalf from the Cronulla Sharks, Te Maire Martin from the Brisbane Broncos and Dylan Walker from the Manly Sea Eagles, the club have elected not to retain his services.

Murchie has been an almost regular player in the Warriors' set up this season, playing on the edge and jumping the Melbourne-bound Eliesa Katoa in the pecking order at the club.

His departure will see clubs rumoured to be interested in him previously look to swoop on his services for 2023 and beyond.
Dunamis Lui was signed by the Warriors mid-season out of the QLD Cup, and could make his way back to the feeder competition for 2023, while the remainder of the players have all had limited to no involvement for the Warriors' first-grade set up in 2022.

The Warriors have so far signed Mitch Barnett, Te Maire Martin, Luke Metcalf, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Marata Niukore and Dylan Walker for 2023, but will now have a number of spots open in their squad to continuing refreshing the club.

1. TMM
2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
3. CNK
4. Niukore
5. Montoya
6. Metcalf
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Egan
10. Taupau
11. Ice
12. Barnett
13. Tohu Harris

14. Walker
15. Ale
16. Bunty
17. Curran

A couple of big hopefuls in there
That team reminds me of 2018 when we recruited our way out of a bad culture. There would be so much baggage in this years team so the change in personal and coach is really important. That team could push for top 4 and a shoe in for top 8