General YOUR 2023 WARRIORS TEAM

Waipiro

That's a solid pack and half the defence sorted, then fingers-crossed Valea can kick on, he looks the best bet. Maybe give Metcalfe some games at wing in place of Kosi?
Yeah Vailea looked good on attack towards the end of season and i think Charnze at FB may help him on defense. Like the idea of Metcalfe on the wing too.....

Reactions: YeahNah 4020

Mullayo

Yeah Vailea looked good on attack towards the end of season and i think Charnze at FB may help him on defense. Like the idea of Metcalfe on the wing too.....
Like the idea of naked speed somewhere. Sometimes it just breaks things open, Sharks were scum for not releasing him they had Dykes, Miller, Trindall et al and no way needed hiim. They're all up themselves, I live 100m from their training ground and am over it.

Mullayo

Yeah agree. Webster says in that article you don't go off and panic buy a prop (paraphrasing here) and they're happy with the depth they have there.
I think they'll do what you said & they've seen enough to be positive with the likes of Ale & Co.
The actual comp with real opposition is hugely different to pre-season though and will sort the chaff from the wheat. We just need to be patient if/ when they persevere with any that we think aren't cutting it a la Mooks with Papa'ili
I disagree. Warriors shopping goes like this.
First step, who does no-one else want? Is he a Kiwi? Will he sign for us? Done. Oh no, who was that that just left? Oh look we have 7 tackle allergic centres, a couple of kids and 8 tweener lock utilities and one prop.

I now live in Aus and over here they stress experience and count NRL games. In NZed we just throw young pups to the Wolves and hope they fight back for a bit.

Vailea, Rocko, Kepu X2, Otukoulo, Reece Walsh, Pompey, Paul Turner, Kosi, Katoa, Metcalf, Volkman...

These are all regarded as junior prospects by every other NRL team. Only we are dumb enough to blood them, then two years later they pack their bags and head on to a real team when they're in their mid 20s.

It's partially a cultural team. We're a if you're good enough you're old enough country, they're not. They drill all the skills out of their kids. I watch their junior football and there is zero talent, just lots of over coached midgets.

Juno

I disagree. Warriors shopping goes like this.
First step, who does no-one else want? Is he a Kiwi? Will he sign for us? Done. Oh no, who was that that just left? Oh look we have 7 tackle allergic centres, a couple of kids and 8 tweener lock utilities and one prop.

I now live in Aus and over here they stress experience and count NRL games. In NZed we just throw young pups to the Wolves and hope they fight back for a bit.

Vailea, Rocko, Kepu X2, Otukoulo, Reece Walsh, Pompey, Paul Turner, Kosi, Katoa, Metcalf, Volkman...

These are all regarded as junior prospects by every other NRL team. Only we are dumb enough to blood them, then two years later they pack their bags and head on to a real team when they're in their mid 20s.

It's partially a cultural team. We're a if you're good enough you're old enough country, they're not. They drill all the skills out of their kids. I watch their junior football and there is zero talent, just lots of over coached midgets.
Every NRL game count starts at 1 and every club bloods young players and every nrl club in the comp has some players in their teams now who are/were blooded at a young age.
The problem for the Warriors is the nz lower grade competitions are far behind Oz, something they're trying to address by getting into th Oz comps from here.
Much of the cream is scouted long before the Warriors get a chance, & at a very young age, so there is talent here.
Overcoached midgets - have said for a long time that what's lacking here is a proper national coaching strategy/ training programme so we churn out good coaches in the regions who understand what is needed to help talented kids on the nrl pathway & to help talent be nurtured - still won't stop potential being scouted but at least we'll be in with a chance with some of them - can't keep them all though cos the majority of nrl opportunity is in Oz.
Every club makes mistakes and moves players on who don't cut it or for various other reasons that come good elsewhere, or don't.

Dannevegas

Dannevegas

Last edited:

Mullayo

Great picks, I'd love any of these guys.

Jensen will be close to a decent role in the 17 this season though due to how well he performed last season.
Yeah Broncos have a bit of a prop crisis. Also Guler is on the Can bench for me. Horse may be 13, plus Big Papa is more like GrandPa every year.

Wests have all the spare props this year. 4 of them are Kiwi too. I'd love to steal that Neame (Greymouth) back from the Cowboys. Let him finish their fitness camp first, though.

Reactions: Worried2Death
Wrighty

Wrighty

Great picks, I'd love any of these guys.

So would the Warriors. Getting any of them to the negotiating table or even return our texts is the problem, McFadden as MtWellington mentioned is a rookie Director of Football.

What I am hoping is that we just open the vault and accept we will have to play overs this year to get that prop. Despite Webster/McFadden having limited pulling power compared to say the Dolphins they are also trying squeeze on the offers and "not break the bank".

Hopefully there are other factors such as the lack of the CBA and once that happens perhaps we get our prop.

Mullayo

I'm making my Supercoach & Fantasy and am stumped with our forward rotation.
Tohu Harris, Barnett, Curran and Niukore (not a center apparently) are all underpriced for a fulltime role (and definitely paid up for it) but 4 into 3 doesn't go.

I need them all getting 60m+ to make it worthwhile.

Who gets the minutes and where?
I have 10 Tohu Harris at prop 40m+30m at lock?
11 Curran at 2nd row for 65m
12 Niukore switching between 15m @ 11 +50m @12
13 Barnett for 50m at lock and 20m at 2nd row.
Then Walker (also well paid) takes 20 off Egan and ???)

Reactions: Damo
Noitall

Noitall

• 326558504_402340678764561_6127699977843354819_n.jpg
Who’s this?