General YOUR 2023 WARRIORS TEAM

Horriors2013

Horriors2013

Gotta laugh at everyone suggesting Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is washed up. The guys only 27, coming off a couple of injury plagued seasons. Also been away from his kids. Give him an offseason and then lets judge.
Being 27 doesn't tell the story. He's washed up because he was an average player who had a breakout season in Canberra, when nobody knew him, and underestimated him. He put a big effort in each week for sure. He's an honest player. But he's hit his ceiling IMO. He's injury prone and at 27 not likely to improve as a player when injury keeps interrupting.

john nick

john nick

Being 27 doesn't tell the story. He's washed up because he was an average player who had a breakout season in Canberra, when nobody knew him, and underestimated him. He put a big effort in each week for sure. He's an honest player. But he's hit his ceiling IMO. He's injury prone and at 27 not likely to improve as a player when injury keeps interrupting.
Exactly mate. Otherwise how would he be coming to us.

Paulo24

Paulo24

Exactly mate. Otherwise how would he be coming to us.
It could play out that way, but as I remember him he was always super committed and skilful. Not the most skilful or the fastest but always managed to use what he had real well. His ceiling is higher than Montoya’s and I believe he can do well at whatever he sets his mind too as he is an effort guy. He hasn’t cost us the earth, I think he has the potential to contribute real well to our team.

Wrighty

Wrighty

I like the back line, but not starting Addin Fonua-Blake with what we've got .... if we had JWH yeah sure...

I am very new to the NRL. Most of what I have learned has been on this site with more experienced fans like Jagged etc taking time out to explain things to me over the years.
So take any post I make with a grain of salt due to my Inexperience
In my view Addin Fonua-Blake should play off the bench.
I think our second and third best props should start and finish the game and the best prop should play in the middle stanza of the game.

In my observations each NRL game folds out in this fashion

FIRST 20 MINUTES:
Big Hits
Crunching Tackles
Teams blitz each other and take some risks to try to jump out to an early lead to put scoreboard pressure on the opposition
The game has not developed a rhythm yet
Teams are full of adrenaline and even a bottom celler dweller team can keep pace with an elite team in the first twenty minutes through sheer adrenaline, extra effort etc. They can't keep this up the whole match but can go hammer and tongs for a short time with the bog boys. Eg on the weekend against the panthers we were in the match for the first twenty minutes before fading as the pace and skill of the panthers eventually overwhelmed us later in the match.
Helter Skelter
Intercept tries

MIDDLE 40 Minutes
This is the arm wrestle period
Each team knuckles down and goes for set completion
War of attrition
This is where an elite prop can single handedly tip the arm wrestle in your favour and why Addin should play off the bench

FINAL 20 Minutes
Both teams are gassed
The game is less high octane
Ideally the coach has saved a 4th prop or a second rower just for this period as fresh legs
The game is less of an arm wrestle
Teams down on points are spinning it wide early in the tackle count
Ideally you will have experienced players on the field who at this stage of the game won't give away a play of the ball error, a loose carry or some other N00b preventable mistake.
Some teams when losing kick it up to new levels and teams who are nursing a lead need to play with great composure. These are the championship minutes.
Eg Le Chad losing us a match by panicking when we were up by 8 and going for a drop goal and giving away a vital 7 tackle set instead.
You don't need your best prop here as long as you have other leaders on the field

So that is why Addin off the bench. But i would play him like 50 minutes a match so when he came off there were only 10-15 to go and in a real tight one you could leave him out there and ask him to play 60 minutes and play both the middle stanza and the final 20 minutes. He has a bog motor and for $750 000 we should use him.

Wrighty

Wrighty

Random thoughts about the Warriors next year not strictly on topic of this thread

I think Stacey has been a good little coach and was better than Nathan Brown and SK but not as good as Payten. We would do ok if Stacey ended up with a head coach role for a full season at some point.

I think the success of our season next year boils down to team selection
Where does Niukore play
Where does Walker play
Where does Barnett play
Do we make a role for Metcalf or let him play as injury reserve
Where does Tohu Harris play

We must get these answers right 90% by game one and 100% by game five
Lets hope Webster is a mastermind coach.

Wrighty

Wrighty

I woke up today with some clarity
They will definitely play Walker at 14 and give him time at lock forward and or hooker
I suspect we will see Tohu Harris not playing lock next year partly because of walker
If we recruit another prop it won’t be a starting one but a solid bench prop

8 Addin Fonua-Blake
9 Egan to be spelled by Lussick
10 tohu harris
11 niukore
12 Barnett
13 Curran to be subbed by walker

14 walker
15 afoa
16 ale
17 Lussick

Nrl standard injury depth players who can step in easily
18 metcalf fullback and halves
19 jazz lock
20 volkman halves depth
21 Ben Murdoch-Masila second row and maybe prop
22 Pompey centres and wing

only use if have to
23 sironen second row we are strangely keeping him over Murchie
24 pene would really help if he improved

Project players still developing
26 kepu prop
27 kepu prop
28 berry centre

Nsw cup deal taine tuaupiki fullback

They will recruit one more player in the next 6 weeks
If they are taking their time then they are brewing up the best signing they possibly can

Toookey

Toookey

I think it was Cces who pointed out that Niukore currently doesn't play big minutes, so around 40-60 minutes will be needed for him which means we need a backrower on the bench.
Maybe that's where Walker comes on?
Things are still looking a little tight for me as outside of Niukore you have Curran, Tohu Harris and Barnett who can play 80 min in the backrow.
Tohu Harris getting on in age so will likely lose a few minutes (or shift to prop for a spell), but id be worried that we lose Curran by either starting him off the bench or only offer him 40 minutes, or both.

So, to be honest I don't really know how were going to work that forward pack so everyone's happy and playing to their strengths

Reactions: Worried2Death
Wrighty

Wrighty

Just myself in this thread at the minute. I am off sick so hence have some time on my hands.

By my count we have 28 players for next year and they will keep the 30th spot free. We need a prop so that is bobbye to Arthars even if he is available.

If we sign a prop that leaves our centre stocks pretty well as they were this year and without Arthars we will need Rocco berry to be a 4th in line centre

First choice centres

Vaillea
Montoya (with Kosi on the wing)

Backups
Pompey
Berry

Backs

1 Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad - Lock him in as fullback
2 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
3 Vaillea - Lock him in for one spot
4 Montoya
5 Kosi
6 Te Maire Martin
7 Shaun Johnson

Off the bat I would rate that backline about 12th or 13th for next year's squads.
If we could say fuck it and find a place for Metcalf in there as well as Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Te Maire Martin then maybe it looks better,

One of Te Maire Martin, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, and Metcalf needs to play centre for us to have our best fire power on the paddock.

Wrighty

Wrighty

I think it was Cces who pointed out that Niukore currently doesn't play big minutes, so around 40-60 minutes will be needed for him which means we need a backrower on the bench.
Maybe that's where Walker comes on?
Things are still looking a little tight for me as outside of Niukore you have Curran, Tohu Harris and Barnett who can play 80 min in the backrow.
Tohu Harris getting on in age so will likely lose a few minutes (or shift to prop for a spell), but id be worried that we lose Curran by either starting him off the bench or only offer him 40 minutes, or both.

So, to be honest I don't really know how were going to work that forward pack so everyone's happy and playing to their strengths
Put Curran at 11, and Niukore at Lock. Walker to replace at lock for last 30 minutes of the match?

Can Harris play 80 minutes at prop?

Reactions: Cces and Toookey
TheMorningEmu

TheMorningEmu

Can Harris play 80 minutes at prop?

He has played 80 minutes twice playing prop this year and over 70 minutes in five of his seven games there, but I don't know if that is sustainable given his age.

I wouldn't mind Tohu Harris playing as an interchange every now and then- he is going to be the same age next year as Mannering was in his last year and he would bounce between starting and coming off the bench as well

zaggo

zaggo

I have just realised that Te Maire Martin does not have a kicking game. How can he go 6 when Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad at full back doesn't kick either. That leaves Johnson to do all the kicking who they will shut down. For me this is a deal breaker. Metcalf has to play 6. With Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad or Te Maire Martin to centre.
That is a concern, especially when SJs general field kicking is lacklustre at best. Close to the line we would be fine given our number of playmakers in non-traditional roles like Tohu Harris, Walker, Addin Fonua-Blake, but we'd really struggle if we were caught in a territory armwrestle.

Reactions: Worried2Death
Jaffa J

Jaffa J

I have just realised that Te Maire Martin does not have a kicking game. How can he go 6 when Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad at full back doesn't kick either. That leaves Johnson to do all the kicking who they will shut down. For me this is a deal breaker. Metcalf has to play 6. With Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad or Te Maire Martin to centre.
Te Maire Martin was always a running 6 and for some reason we have always relied on one person doing all the kicking I'd like to see that responsibility shared amongst the spine including Egan

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad would be the best bet to move to centres if we were to bring in Metcalf

Reactions: Cces and Toookey
Wrighty

Wrighty

Te Maire Martin was always a running 6 and for some reason we have always relied on one person doing all the kicking I'd like to see that responsibility shared amongst the spine including Egan

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad would be the best bet to move to centres if we were to bring in Metcalf
Would it be fair to say that Thurston and Morgan were better equipped to be sole kickers than Shaun ?
Just the 3 or 4 kicks Asi and Chanel Harris-Tavita would chip in seemed to be enough to provide variety and options

TheMorningEmu

TheMorningEmu

Where is Sam Lisone when you need him ey?

Seriously though, I hadn't thought of that at all.

I am sure he could develop a serviceable kicking game in the offseason but I was already on the fence between Martin at 6 or 1 and wanting to keep Montoya and Kosi in the side is the only reason I didn't when I put up my preferred 17 for next year, so I may have to lean the other way now with that in mind..

To think even further ahead/ in dreamland, if we got Dylan Brown for 2024 there is no way Martin could still play in the halves with Volkman and Metcalf sitting around, perhaps Martin at fullback is for the best for both in the short and long term in that case.

Jaffa J

Jaffa J

We haven’t had a good kicking game since Maloney left 🫤 Shaun Johnson shouldn’t be the dominant kicker. Green had a good kicking game but he left it at Manley when he joined us
I actually liked Green's kicking game his first year with us but after that wasn't good tbf to Shaun Johnson he's never been a game manager but at this point in his career he should have developed that Benji was the blueprint

Wrighty

Wrighty

Compare Backline A vs Backline B

Backline A
1 Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
3 Vaillea
4 Montoya
5 Kosi
6 Te Maire Martin
7 Shaun Johnson

Backline B
1 Te Maire Martin
3 Vaillea
4 Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
5 Kosi
6 Metcalf
7 Shaun Johnson

Backline B will be a workman like consistent team.
Backline B will be higher pedigree in the centres and score more tries. May leak more though as Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad a better defensive fullback than Te Maire Martin.

2022 Backline Defence 3 out of 10 Attack 5 out of 10 total 8 out of 20
Backline A Defence 7 out of ten Attack 5 out of 10 total 12 out of 20
Backline B Defence 6 out of ten Attack 7,5 out of 10 total 13.5 out of 20