General YOUR 2023 WARRIORS TEAM

Defence

Defence

Metcalf needs to cut his teeth in the NRL before being started in the hardest position on the feild (Fullback). For the best part of the last 2 seasons we have hosted a rookie fullback in Walsh and despite the prestigous talent we saw that his lack of experience cost us in important moments. I would play Metcalf but as a 5/8 where he can be protected somewhat in the front line and not be exposed as our last line of defence...
U make a strong case.
So Te Maire Martin to fullback in that scenario then?

Tragic

Tragic

Contributor
Why do u say that?
For me metcalf is an upgrade on Walsh and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is a better defender than any other center on our books- yes he struggled a bit against Australia but no one else on our roster would’ve done any better.
Who would be your centers then? Surely not berry or vailea if defence is the main concern.
I also like the idea of Shaun Johnson playing through the middle with Te Maire Martin on one edge and metcalf on the other- gives us strike both sides of the field.
I agree Metcalf > Walsh. But CNKs best position is fullback, moving him to centre because we are weak there just means we are weak in 2 positions.

Socrates

U make a strong case.
So Te Maire Martin to fullback in that scenario then?
Yep this would be my team

01. Te Maire Martin
02. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
03. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
04. Villiame Vailea
05. Marcelo Montoya
06. Luke Metcalf
07. Shaun Johnson

08. Addin Fonua Blake
09. Jazz Tevaga
10. Marata Niukore
11. Josh Curran
12. Mitchell Barnett
13. Tohu Harris

14. Dylan Walker
15. Bunty Afoa
16. Wayde Egan
17. Ben Murdoch Masilla

Note Jazz to start at Hooker. Take the sting out of the game before bringing on Egan. Niukore to prop. Aggressive forward pack x factor and experience in the backs, we will push for top 8.

Wrighty

Wrighty

01. Te Maire Martin
04. Villiame Vailea
05. Marcelo Montoya
06. Luke Metcalf
07. Shaun Johnson

08. Addin Fonua Blake
09. Jazz Tevaga
10. Marata Niukore
11. Josh Curran
12. Mitchell Barnett
13. Tohu Harris

14. Dylan Walker
15. Bunty Afoa
16. Wayde Egan
17. Ben Murdoch Masilla

Note Jazz to start at Hooker. Take the sting out of the game before bringing on Egan. Niukore to prop. Aggressive forward pack x factor and experience in the backs, we will push for top 8.
I like your idea of jazz to start
Egan is at his best when he doesn’t play 80

Last year I plugged the ides of Addin Fonua-Blake not playing the first twenty minutes and playing the last 60 minutes

I reckon the warriors even if we play a leaser starting 13 can go toe to toe with any team in the league for the first twenty minutes based on the fact our adrenaline is high and ramped up

Case in point with most of our blowout losses last year we were in the match for the first twenty before the oppositions fitness and Quality won through.
We don’t need our best players on the field for the first twenty minutes

For the coin Addin Fonua-Blake is on let’s ask him to play 60 minutes he has the fitness for it

Socrates

Could be considered that idea re: Addin Fonua-Blake. I recall when he was at his best playing for Manly he was a big minute forward he would often play upwards of 60mins.

My advice to him would be to look to use his footwork and offloading game more this season. He often beats the first defender and has the ability to pass but no one pushing up. Whoever gets the fullback job needs to run off Addin Fonua-Blake shoulder imo.

Wrighty

Wrighty

Could be considered that idea re: Addin Fonua-Blake. I recall when he was at his best playing for Manly he was a big minute forward he would often play upwards of 60mins.

My advice to him would be to look to use his footwork and offloading game more this season. He often beats the first defender and has the ability to pass but no one pushing up. Whoever gets the fullback job needs to run off Addin Fonua-Blake shoulder imo.
I like your fresh ideas and views. Are you a new member or an old timer who has returned.

Wrighty

Wrighty

Just looking at the market
Cooper Johns got signed to another club
George Williams from England being chased
Halves are in top demand
We might as well be pleased that for 2024 we have metcalf Te Maire Martin and volkman and run with those three top 3 as it will be hard to get anyone else decent in.

Reactions: warriorsfan92
Since95

Since95

Webster has cleared up a few positions. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad as our first FB. Te Maire Martin to partner Shaun Johnson. Walker plays 14, Jazz middle forward and Tohu Harris back to 13.

Think leaves our Centers short/lacking but I'm willing to see what happens.

I would just because of hype would like to see us cram as many of our hyped signings in to the team as possible. Metcalf we went hard for to sign early.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad while a great player he's has as a FB. Strong running, minor passing game but more a backup/line break kind.

Think center fits his skill set better IMO. But hey happy to be proven wrong.

Reactions: Defence
Paulo24

Paulo24

I reckon it weakens those positions defensively and Webster is going to think about defence first if he wants to build a winning team. So i can't see that happeni

01. Te Maire Martin
04. Villiame Vailea
05. Marcelo Montoya
06. Luke Metcalf
07. Shaun Johnson

08. Addin Fonua Blake
09. Jazz Tevaga
10. Marata Niukore
11. Josh Curran
12. Mitchell Barnett
13. Tohu Harris

14. Dylan Walker
15. Bunty Afoa
16. Wayde Egan
17. Ben Murdoch Masilla

I hear the calls for Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, I think he is the best defensive fullback but looking back at the old days with Lance Hohaia and our other little full backs I long for those exciting days where we score from anywhere. Of course I want to win but boy it’s tempting to have Te Maire Martin and Metcalf in the same team. I would be very tempted to risk it.
It could be painful but eventually could end up resulting in an exciting successful style of Warriors ball, that may even attract others.

eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
copying something wrote in a different thread .. Addin Fonua-Blake, Harris, Niukore, Barnett and Curran are your 5 best forwards and should start and play the most minutes.

If Tohu Harris isn't going to, Niukore probably has to play 10 with that in mind, he's the most prop-like of the backrowers. Not sure suits him, but he got a big contract to come here, so hard yards for him.

That should mean you can just set and forget Curran (barring suspension) and Barnett on the edges for 80 and they'll produce good numbers. Johnson does better with someone who just runs lines and doesn't try and get clever, so probably put Barnett on his side.

Because Walker is true utility and Niukore can play edge you can have a random set of 4 middles on the bench, Afoa, Tevaga, Walker and Ford/Ben Murdoch-Masila/a Kepu twin, they all do something a bit different and you just patch together the leftover minutes. If Addin Fonua-Blake is playing 55 and Tohu Harris 65+ and the edges aren't really coming off, there isn't many minutes left, Egan can be spelled by walker or jazz for 10-15, i only really like a bench hooker if its a proper job share, and it won't be.

So i think he'll mitigate his weak bench, by just not playing them much - bold plan, but penrith barely use their bench, their 2 middles get short minutes, a utility gets some pity minutes and mitch kenny spells korisau for a bit, and thats it, the starters and outside backs do all the work.

It won't work if even one of the starting pack is unavailable, but when at full strength it might be okay.

Charnze will help our awful set starts, and kosi, montoya, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak are willing at least. i would put marcelo at center just cos he tries hard and is a reasonable defender. the other spot hope for the best with Vailea. Have a hard time believing Berry can be that bad again, he's got to overtake Pompey at some point. If he plays Williame over them red flag the new coach don't think they are any good. Why can't we find a traditional winger either, i know every coach just wants a Toó who will hit it up all day, but union is swimming in wingers who are good under the high ball and can break a tackle and finish.

Last edited:
Up the guttz

Up the guttz

Gees I know we don’t have the best pack but I thought we’d rank better than this. Fox always get details about the warriors wrong though - like naming Tohu Harris at prop when Webster has stated many times now that he will be 13

P.S I hate when they include hooker as part of the pack. This isn’t union, hooker is a spine player - not part of the pack!

TeetsNRL

TeetsNRL

I know we’ve all turned on Reece Walsh here, but to say Luke Metcalf is better than him based largely off NSW cup performance is a bit premature.

Walsh was mostly the lone attacking threat in a bad NRL team, Metcalf has been playing in a pretty good NSW cup team.

I do think Luke will hit the ground running a be really good for us.

But I’d also fully expect Reece Walsh to look a lot better next season behind the Broncos yardage game on attack and a better front line on D.

nzwarrior51

Would you consider Metcalf as a centre, he’s mainly played there or wing when he’s played NRL, I’m not sure on his defence but he has to be more of a threat than some of the other guys we have in the squad given what he can do with the ball in hand.
From all reports he’s been leading the way in pre season.