General YOUR 2023 WARRIORS TEAM

Wrighty

Wrighty

Idk wrighty- that didn’t sound like jazz is a lock to me….

“Dylan is going to play that No.14 role and Jazz, if he is playing well and is fit and healthy and playing to his potential, will just be playing like an extra middle forward… if he continues to do that there’s no way he won’t be in the team.

Couple of ifs in there….
He is saying he will start in the 17 but Webster reserves the right to replace jazz
This is pretty ballsy from Webster to clarify anyone’s position months before game day so he has to say some caveats.
He is 90 percent certain jazz will play middle off the bench. We are all friends here and for our intents and purposes Jazz is a lock At This Stage

Defence

Defence

He is saying he will start in the 17 but Webster reserves the right to replace jazz
This is pretty ballsy from Webster to clarify anyone’s position months before game day so he has to say some caveats.
He is 90 percent certain jazz will play middle off the bench. We are all friends here and for our intents and purposes Jazz is a lock At This Stage
I think you’re putting words in his mouth there.

Toookey

Toookey

Let’s add jazz to the locked in list at bench prop he can’t play lock as well as Tohu Harris and walker

Locked in
1 Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
3 Vailea ( adding him as locked in by process of elimination)
4 Pompey or Williame ( must be one of those as no depth at wing to play Montoya at centre )
5 Montoya or kosi
6 Te Maire Martin
7 Shaun johnson
8 Addin Fonua-Blake
9 egan
10 Afoa ( by process of elimination locked in)
11 Barnett
12 Niukore ( he is locked in to start ahead of Curran )
13 Harris

14 walker to replace Tohu Harris at lock
15 jazz to come in at prop
16 ale by process of elimination bench prop
17 Curran or Lussick

Lol Wrighty you can't say 'locked in' and then proceed to guess half the team.
You've guessed at least 6 or 7 spots that are no where near being locked in at this stage

Jay M

Jay M

Contributor
Let’s add jazz to the locked in list at bench prop he can’t play lock as well as Tohu Harris and walker

Locked in
4 Pompey or Williame ( must be one of those as no depth at wing to play Montoya at centre )
5 Montoya or kosi
6 Te Maire Martin
7 Shaun johnson
8 Addin Fonua-Blake
9 egan
11 Barnett
13 Harris

17 Curran or Lussick

Depth
18 Curran or lussick
19 Ben Murdoch-Masila prop
20 ford edge forward
21 Metcalf
22 volkman
23 wiiiame or Pompey
24 kosi or Montoya

Growth
25 otokulu
26 berry
27 kepu
28 kepu
29 sironen
If Addin Fonua-Blake is starting, I'd have Afoa coming off the bench. We only have two genuine props so they'd need to be somewhat split in the rotation.

I'd probably pair Jazz with Addin, then have Bunty and Ale together off the bench. Barnett and Niukore are both options at prop, but both are better off on our leaky edges IMO (or Niukore maybe at centre).

It'll be interesting to see how Webster picks the bench. Does he go with one utility (Walker), two utilities (Walker and Lussick for example) or three (Walker, Jazz, Lussick for example).

Mr Brownstone

Locked in
5 Montoya or kosi
6 Te Maire Martin
7 Shaun johnson
8 Addin Fonua-Blake
9 egan
11 Barnett
13 Harris

17 Curran or Lussick

Depth
18 Curran or lussick
19 Ben Murdoch-Masila prop
20 ford edge forward
21 Metcalf
22 volkman
23 wiiiame or Pompey
24 kosi or Montoya

Growth
25 otokulu
26 berry
27 kepu
28 kepu
29 sironen
Curran depth?

JaggedJ

Lussick isn't making a bench that contains both Jazz and Walker as well.

I think people are sleeping a little on Jackson Ford, especially with Curran uncertain for the first couple of weeks at least.

He's not a game changer but can see him getting the nod over other guys like Ben Murdoch-Masila/Sironen etc just because he's solid across the park and will do the little things better.

I don't think we signed Barnett to play prop and again, IF Curran is suspended for any length of time I don't see how he doesn't start at 11 even if the intention is to move him to prop at some point (which I don't think it is.)

warriorsfan92

Lussick isn't making a bench that contains both Jazz and Walker as well.

I think people are sleeping a little on Jackson Ford, especially with Curran uncertain for the first couple of weeks at least.

He's not a game changer but can see him getting the nod over other guys like Ben Murdoch-Masila/Sironen etc just because he's solid across the park and will do the little things better.

I don't think we signed Barnett to play prop and again, IF Curran is suspended for any length of time I don't see how he doesn't start at 11 even if the intention is to move him to prop at some point (which I don't think it is.)
Agree. It’ll be Barnett & Curran edges, Tohu Harris at lock, Addin Fonua-Blake & Ben Murdoch-Masila/afoa starting

warriorsfan92

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
Montoya
Vailea
Niukore
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
Te Maire Martin
Shaun Johnson
Addin Fonua-Blake
Egan
Afoa
Barnett
Curran
Harris

Walker
Tevaga
Ale
Ford/Ben Murdoch-Masila/sironen

Ben Murdoch-Masila/sironen/ford fighting for the last spot, ideally Ben Murdoch-Masila sorts his shit out, he’s good for a 20-25min stint. Also not sure where they see niukore but atm he’s our best centre option, with some decent depth in the edges. Metcalf a smokey but only see him coming in if there’s an injury. I would’ve liked to see walker at centre (more so due to our lack of depth), but it’s been stated he’s the 14. That bench is small, but compared to the bench of panthers in the gf (api, salmon, sorenson, Leniu) it is definitely comparable in size/speed.

Only adjustment I could make would be Montoya to centre, kosi at wing, niukore to edge, Barnett to prop, afoa to bench, and ford/Ben Murdoch-Masila/sironen dropping off.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHURCUZ
ramps

ramps

I just get the feeling g we haven't seen wets best yet. Vailea whilst potential, still needs more time imo.
I feel like we have seen the best of Pompey, Nothing to be excited about in my opinion. Average at best. I'd like to think i could agree with you but unfortunately, he looks too relaxed. Hes been in the first grade squad for 3 years i believe, but done nothing an average NRL back could do. You match him up against any other Centre in the NRL and i think you will find, more often than not, he will get beaten.

Wrighty

Wrighty

I think you’re putting words in his mouth there.
Why did they mention jazz at all in the article then if they have nothing of substance to say about his playing position for 2023?
I don’t share your view
I think they used clear statements to say he will be a middle forward and be in the 17. The if statements are there in case Webster changes his mind.
Technically none of the players are locked in at this s stage if we are going to use a strong definition of locked in
But I do concede jazz may be less locked in than some of the others if that concession allows us to agree

Tragic

Tragic

Contributor
Both. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad at fullback tells me something

I wonder whether Webby has full autonomy on that or if it was included in his deal

Seems odd to make that call now before he’s even back at preseason training
You would have to be dum to include that in his deal, but we do have that kinda dum in us so who knows.
I read it more that Webster considers him to be a fullback option only and he is defo one of the top 17 players so will get first Crack. Mind you that's also what I think, so I am probably just reading it to confirm my bias.

Reactions: RiceOwl and AlexM

JaggedJ

I feel like we have seen the best of Pompey, Nothing to be excited about in my opinion. Average at best. I'd like to think i could agree with you but unfortunately, he looks too relaxed. Hes been in the first grade squad for 3 years i believe, but done nothing an average NRL back could do. You match him up against any other Centre in the NRL and i think you will find, more often than not, he will get beaten.

Pompey is shifty with his upper body, a little like Manu/Hodges are/were. but he has the outside back acceleration and speed of a sedated turtle on a treadmill and isn't getting faster. Should be thinking about moving to second row if he wants to have a longer meaningful career, but we're stocked in that area and doubt we have the development ability to transition him anyway.

Reactions: Boats n Hoes
Noitall

Noitall

Pompey is shifty with his upper body, a little like Manu/Hodges are/were. but he has the outside back acceleration and speed of a sedated turtle on a treadmill and isn't getting faster. Should be thinking about moving to second row if he wants to have a longer meaningful career, but we're stocked in that area and doubt we have the development ability to transition him anyway.
I find Joseph Manu quite sluggish too, and Hiku doesn’t have a great turn of speed I don’t think. Those are two of the best centres in my mind more because of their ability to set up their outside man and distribution. I think he can get to that level, not sure if it will be with us or not. I hope so.

Reactions: Up the guttz

PNG Kiwi

Ben Murdock Musila has to shape up or ship out. Potentially an asset for any team. Is he trying his best, or just collecting a pay cheque?

Sorenson is another with skills, and seemed to be a favorite of Brownie, but his ability did not seem to match the loyalty shown to him.

The wraps that young Berry had seems to be dissipating, Gus was reported to have big wraps on him.

Curran still is a very good talent about the only success story Brownie had.

New coaching new voices could make a difference and been based in New Zealand and real home games should really help. The new team members could make a difference to the team dynamics for the better.

So as usual the cup is half full.

No team has a team of champions unless you are the Roosters, Storm, or Penrith, so it is how the new coach gets the most of his resources.

Wrighty

Wrighty

Lol Wrighty you can't say 'locked in' and then proceed to guess half the team.
You've guessed at least 6 or 7 spots that are no where near being locked in at this stage
Here in that case is just the locked in players
Locked in by either a Webster comment or because it is obvious and clear they will play eg Addin Fonua-Blake at prop

6 Te Maire Martin
7 Shaun Johnson
8 Addin Fonua-Blake
9 Egan
13 Harris

14 Dylan Walker
15 Jazz

Toookey

Toookey

Here in that case is just the locked in players
Locked in by either a Webster comment or because it is obvious and clear they will play eg Addin Fonua-Blake at prop

6 Te Maire Martin
7 Shaun Johnson
8 Addin Fonua-Blake
9 Egan
13 Harris

14 Dylan Walker
15 Jazz

Yeah mate, look I actually agreed with a lot of what you posted, I just don't think they're locked in certainties as such.

For what it's worth, I believe Afoa and Ale are locked in for bench spots (unless they train the house down and jag that 2nd starting prop position) and Vailea starting at centre too.

I hope I didn't come across too harsh!