General YOUR 2023 WARRIORS TEAM

Dunedin warrior

He is solid positionally , always carts the balls back well. We have Te Maire Martin, Johnson and Harris controlling the good ball set anyway.
I think he's what we need.

I think with our team we will need more. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad played his best footy with Wighton, Cotric, Leilua and Rapana all in career best form. We don’t have any ball runners of that calibre.

If he can organize the defence well, we might be able to sacrifice some points if it improves our porous defence. I just don’t see how a Egan, Shaun Johnson, Martin and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad spine puts points on the board.

Toookey

Toookey

I think with our team we will need more. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad played his best footy with Wighton, Cotric, Leilua and Rapana all in career best form. We don’t have any ball runners of that calibre.

If he can organize the defence well, we might be able to sacrifice some points if it improves our porous defence. I just don’t see how a Egan, Shaun Johnson, Martin and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad spine puts points on the board.

I would go Egan, Shaun Johnson, Te Maire Martin and Metcalf in the spine, but I guess one of the big things to look forward to is that we now will have a big forward pack.
We've added considerable size to the pack, so I'm hoping that if we can get a bit of a roll on, the rest should fall in to place.
Hopefully with Tofu, Curran and Walker we have a little bit more offloading/2nd phase play, and fingers crossed Vailea starts to beat players 1 on 1 it gives us a bit of something else. All of those options, combined with Egan hopefully able to utalise his running game and passing game hopefully means that were not relying solely on Shaun Johnson to set up tries. If Shaun Johnson, Te Maire Martin and Metcalf are setting up 2 tries a game between them, and those other 5 mentioned are setting up atleast one try a game, it means were around 18-24 points a game already, and hopefully with better defence well be closer towards the other teams moving forward.
Edit: if we score one more try a game and concede one try less, that puts us in contention with the few teams sitting around 8 automatically. So we don't need to change drastically

AlexM

AlexM

I just have this feeling Metcalfe will be flash but can see him getting steamrolled like walshy

Ref

Ref

I don't see Volkman mentioned much.
He might be our best half yet.
I can see why the Raiders would leave an injury hampered Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad in reserve grade while they have Savage who is far from the finished product but is electric.
We have some likely and lively options for next year in the halves and centres.
Solid wing options.

Reactions: kos
Canonball

Canonball

what i'd like to see plus what's currently possible in terms of options / permutations :

1. Metcalf / Berry / Tauapiki
2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
3. Vailea
4. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad / Niukore
5. Kosi / Montoya
6. Te Maire Martin / (Asi?)
7. Shaun Johnson / Volkman
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Egan
10. New Signing / Harris / Ale / V. Kepu
11. Barnett / Niukore
12. Curran
13. Harris / Jazz

14. Walker / Otukolo / Lussick
15. O. Kepu
16. ??? / Ben Murdoch-Masila
17. ??? / Murchie

This could be a 'start of something good' team - jeez i hope so --- Ale (who's really impressive so far) or one of the Kepus could well be very ready to be that missing prop - and I'd love to have the option of Niukore in the centres, with that sort of menace he'd bring there

snake77

snake77

Fair call, although I wasnt referring soley to this thread.

Just makes me laugh how everyone is lauding Metcalf who is 23 and achieved zero in FG, yet writing off a guy who a few years ago was arguably in the top half a dozen fullbacks in the game.
From the little I have seen of him, he looks to be a good talent. However if you look at the list of players we have recruited I'd say he is the most likely to miss out on the first-grade side. I'd put that down as he initially will miss out as he should see some first-grade side due to injury or form. At the moment he seems to be blocked from first grade at the Sharks. The Warriors have just recruited him so they will be more open to playing him.

The others we have recruited though have more experience and look more likely to come straight into the side. There might be a few exceptions depending on selections (Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad if Te Maire Martin plays at fullback for example).

What I like is instead of 1-2 first graders and 1-2 prospects we have recruited more players you can really see in the first-grade side.

snake77

snake77

These teams really highlight how bad we need another prop- Tohu Harris is one of the best 13s in the world and has to play there imo.
I won’t put a team out there yet because I’m still expecting a bit of movement but if webby is planning to play a similar style to the panthers Tohu Harris at 13 and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad at 1 are certainties.
I’d love to have metcalf in the team but I think the way things have unfolded he might have to bide his time.
I liked Harris when he moved to 13 as he times his runs well so we had another big body helping us go forward. He times his runs well and has decent leg speed. When he first moved to the middle it was a case of his work rate and go forward vs his ball playing out wide. We see a bit of his ball playing in the middle but it needs guys running with him and it seems more situational/luck than planned.

I've been thinking he's likely to be moved to the front row to finish his career. Partly to due to fitting other 2nd row/lock versions in and to fill a hole in the squad for front rowers.

You have me changing my thinking though as he could play a similar role to Yeo plays for the panthers. Next year he'd be another year removed from his knee injury.

Walker I'm guessing would be coming off the bench to cover injuries to a number of positions. But tactically he's likely to play a similar role in the middle as a ball player.

TheMorningEmu

TheMorningEmu

Best at position: (*Allowing players to be in 2 positions at most)
FULLBACK: CC Nicoll-Klokstad (1)T MartinL MetcalfD Watene-Zelezniak
WING: C+D Watene-Zelezniak (2)M MontoyaE Kosi (5)A Pompey
CENTRE: CV Vailea (3)M NiukoreC Nicoll-KlokstadM Montoya (4)
HALF: C+S Johnson (7)T Martin (6)R VolkmanL Metcalf
HOOKER: CW Egan (9)F LussickT OtukoloJ Tevaga
PROP: B-A Fonua-Blake (8)M Barnett (10)B AfoaT Ale
SECOND ROW: A-M Niukore (11)T Harris (12)J CurranB Murdoch-Masila
LOCK: A+T HarrisJ Curran (13)M BarnettJ Tevaga

Lineup:
1. Nicoll-K
2. Watene-Z
3. Vailea
4. Montoya
5. Kosi
6. Martin
7. Johnson
8. Fonua-B
9. Egan
10. Barnett
11. Niukore
12. Harris
13. Curran
14. Walker
15. Afoa
16. Ale
17. Tevaga

Next man up: (*That is not already in the 17)
Fullback; Metcalf
Wing: Pompey
Centre: Berry
Half: Volkman
Hooker: Lussick
Prop: Kepu
Second Row: Murdoch-M
Lock: Kepu

I am not married to the idea of Barnett at prop and Harris at second row, switch those two around as you see fit.
At this stage I'm hoping for a finish around 10th, 9th, 8th or 7th next year, though that is subject to change as the sourness of this year wears away and the anticipation of 2023 begins to ramp up so don't hold me to it if/when I predict a top 4 finish in February lol.

JaggedJ

Ok, there's nothing to look forward to this year so might as well look towards next. If I had to pick a team today I wouldn't be thrilled about some of the options, but it is what it is.

1. Te Maire Martin
3. Vailea
4. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
5. Montoya
6. Metcalf
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Egan
10. Harris
11. Barnett
12. Curran
13. Tevaga

14. Walker
15. Afoa
16. Niukore
17. Ale

**Te Maire Martin is based purely on his rep to organise defenses as that's got to be our most pressing need at first. Ideally I'd like someone else to be brought in or develop over the off season who can provide both attack and defense.

**Harris at 10 or 13 doesn't make a difference, I'd have him playing that ball playing lock role regardless. These days a middle is a middle.

**Walker to provide back cover plus along with Tevaga can provide hooker cover if Egan gets injured during a game or needs a break.

**Afoa, Niukore, and Ale off the bench I feel is our best change to maintain some sort of momentum through the middle when Addin Fonua-Blake is off. Ideally, we get/develop a better propping option over the off season.

While that's the team I'd pick with what we've got, right now when I look at the team I'm seeing our best team as something more like this....

1. ???
3. Vailea
4. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
5. ???
6. Te Maire Martin
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Egan
10. ???
11. Barnett
12. Curran
13. Harris

Reactions: Worried2Death
AlexM

AlexM

Best at position: (*Allowing players to be in 2 positions at most)
FULLBACK: CC Nicoll-Klokstad (1)T MartinL MetcalfD Watene-Zelezniak
WING: C+D Watene-Zelezniak (2)M MontoyaE Kosi (5)A Pompey
CENTRE: CV Vailea (3)M NiukoreC Nicoll-KlokstadM Montoya (4)
HALF: C+S Johnson (7)T Martin (6)R VolkmanL Metcalf
HOOKER: CW Egan (9)F LussickT OtukoloJ Tevaga
PROP: B-A Fonua-Blake (8)M Barnett (10)B AfoaT Ale
SECOND ROW: A-M Niukore (11)T Harris (12)J CurranB Murdoch-Masila
LOCK: A+T HarrisJ Curran (13)M BarnettJ Tevaga

Lineup:
1. Nicoll-K
2. Watene-Z
3. Vailea
4. Montoya
5. Kosi
6. Martin
7. Johnson
8. Fonua-B
9. Egan
10. Barnett
11. Niukore
12. Harris
13. Curran
14. Walker
15. Afoa
16. Ale
17. Tevaga

Next man up: (*That is not already in the 17)
Fullback; Metcalf
Wing: Pompey
Centre: Berry
Half: Volkman
Hooker: Lussick
Prop: Kepu
Second Row: Murdoch-M
Lock: Kepu

I am not married to the idea of Barnett at prop and Harris at second row, switch those two around as you see fit.
At this stage I'm hoping for a finish around 10th, 9th, 8th or 7th next year, though that is subject to change as the sourness of this year wears away and the anticipation of 2023 begins to ramp up so don't hold me to it if/when I predict a top 4 finish in February lol.
Jazz and Tohu Harris , Curran and Niukore and to a lesser extent Barnett all fill the same sort of role really with pros and cons to each one. Tohu Harris and Jazz being the most Versatile while Barnett is arguably the least.

Wrighty

Wrighty

I hope we keep Murchie as our injury depth isn’t great
Also worried our bench is a bit budget unless prioritise putting some talent in to it

Finally we need to nail where to play walker
I feel walker should not be a 14
I would definitely play walker at centre and pair him with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

My personal team chosen to ensure a good bench

1 Te Maire Martin
2 Montoya
3 Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
4 walker
5 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
6 metcalf
7 Johnson
8 Afoa
9 Egan
10 tohu harris
11 niukore
12 curran
13 barnett

14 jazz
15 Addin Fonua-Blake
16 Ben Murdoch-Masila
17 Ale

Injury depth
Lussick
Volkman
Taine
Pompey
Kosi
Berry
Kepu
Kepu
Pene
Vailea

Reactions: AlexM

SPJ

Its been a while since I've posted due to how the team has gone the last few years but we look pretty versatile next year while possessing decent depth. Here's my team:
1st Grade Choice with depth for each position

Fullback: Te Maire Martin/Taupi - Ball player, secure under the high ball, great defensive organisation as seen in Broncos this year with and without him
Right Wing: Dallin Watene-Zelezniak/Kosi- fast, takes tough carries but seriously needs to learn how to step late into contact (see Montoya or any other nimble winger in the comp or even Maumalo) so he doesn't break down physically and makes some post contact metres
Right Centre: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad/Berry - Commited defensively and smart enough to shut down set plays, big right foot step and can set up winger, can play roving fb role and will make metres
Left Centre: Walker/Vailea - Natural left hand carry with good fend and ball skills, needs to lose weight to regain speed but can handle the edge defensively if he can handle the middle
Left Wing: Montoya/Pompey - Secure under the high ball, works hard and takes tough carries, defends well, true warrior
Five Eighth: Volkman/Metcalf - depends on game plan with Metcalf providing a great quick ball running/playing option and volkman providing more of a kicking game but he can run, both will need a tonne of defensive work
Halfback: Johnson - slowing down and needs to lose weight in order to keep mobility and evasiveness, pivotal but need him to not overplay his hand
Impact Prop: Addin Fonua-Blake/Ben Murdoch-Masila - one of the games best props, Te Maire Martin, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad,Walker, 5/8th should be supporting his offload
Hooker: Egan/Lussick/Otukolo - coming into his own as a great hooker, needs a running hooker off the bench to keep him fresh and injury free throughout the season
Steady Prop: Afoa/Pene/Kepu - Defends well and plays decent minutes (40), one of the longest serving warriors, durable, needs a step and an offload as his carries can be a bit one dimensional
Left Edge 2nd Rower: Barnett/Curran - Plays 80, makes consistent metres and takes tough carries, defends with mongrel (minus the elbows) and can bodyguard his half
Right Edge 2nd Rower: Niukore/Ale - Aggressive and can set up his outside with offloads through contact, mobile enough to play centre and tough enough to support Johnson defensively,
Lock: Harris/Jazz/Sironen - Captain Warrior, tackles, ballplays, makes metres, supports, should be playing around 60 minutes to keep him mobile instead of running him into the ground like we did with Mannering

Interchange
Lussick - won't take a backwards step and has a good running game, should be playing around 30 minutes providing impact and energy especially in defence
Ale (Or Pene) - shown promise this year in terms of making metres through the middle especially with footwork and speed and can provide defensive energy, covers prop when Afoa is off
Curran (or Jazz)- Tough lock that can play big minutes (50 if needed) and let Tohu Harris play 2nd row or Prop, tackles and runs his heart out but would benefit from passing more often to the backline during set plays to put more doubt in the opposition defense
Ben Murdoch-Masila- Impact and energy off the bench for the 25 minutes Addin Fonua-Blake comes off, runs and hits hard and can offload, injury prone but could benefit from starting

We clearly need another impact or premier prop but our 1st grade and reserve grade teams look promising if they can stay healthy.

AlexM

AlexM

I hope we keep Murchie as our injury depth isn’t great
Also worried our bench is a bit budget unless prioritise putting some talent in to it

Finally we need to nail where to play walker
I feel walker should not be a 14
I would definitely play walker at centre and pair him with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

My personal team chosen to ensure a good bench

1 Te Maire Martin
2 Montoya
3 Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
4 walker
5 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
6 metcalf
7 Johnson
8 Afoa
9 Egan
10 tohu harris
11 niukore
12 curran
13 barnett

14 jazz
15 Addin Fonua-Blake
16 Ben Murdoch-Masila
17 Ale

Injury depth
Lussick
Volkman
Taine
Pompey
Kosi
Berry
Kepu
Kepu
Pene
Vailea
I like the back line, but not starting Addin Fonua-Blake with what we've got .... if we had JWH yeah sure...

Reactions: Defence
Dannevegas

Dannevegas

Still trying to figure out who plays wear between Martin, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Metcalf.

After watching closely Te maire shouldn’t be considered for fullback, should be starting 6.

Metcalfs attacking stats this year all at 6-7:
12 Games:
14 Tries, 8 Try assists, 12 Line break assists

I see Metcalf doing a better job at full back than Martin, because his ball playing ability is on par with Martins, if not better. But his Speed and footwork is what separates them.

Then there’s Nicoll-Klokstad, if he can find top form again he’s my starting 1, he at 1 balances the team out nicely.

If we can’t sign another quality Prop, Barnett or Niukore to partner Blake.

I think we missed a opportunity releasing Katoa to storm we should’ve for asked a player in return
(William Warbrick)

My team:

Nicoll-Klokstad
Montoya
Walker
Vailea
Watene-Zelezniak(New winger)
Martin
Johnson
Niukore
Egan
Fonua-Blake