1. Centre
  2. Winger
Nickname
Marce
Warrior #
Warriors Debut Date
Apr 4, 2021
Warriors Debut Details
April 4 2021, Round 4 vs Sydney Roosters at Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney, Australia
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2021
  2. 2022
  3. 2023
  4. 2024
Signed From
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
Rep Honours
  1. Fiji
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcelo_Montoya
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/marcelo-montoya/summary.html
NameMarcelo Eduardo Montoya Jr.
Born17 February 1996 (Lautoka, Fiji)
Height189cm
Weight95kg
PositionWinger, Centre
Warriors Player Number#256
Warriors DebutRound 4 vs. Sydney Roosters, 04 April 2021
Warriors Career2021-
RepresentativeFiji
Junior ClubBankstown Bulls
Previous ClubCanterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
NRL DebutRound 3 vs. New Zealand Warriors, 17 March 2017 (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)

Marcelo Eduardo Montoya Jr (born 17 February 1996) is a Fijian professional rugby league footballer who plays as a winger or centre for the New Zealand Warriors in the National Rugby League (NRL) and Fiji at international level.

He previously played for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in the NRL.

Montoya was born in Lautoka, Fiji to a Chilean father and Fijian mother, and moved to Campbelltown, New South Wales, Australia at the age of three.

He played his junior rugby league for the Bankstown Bulls, and attended both Patrician Brothers' College, Fairfield and Patrician Brothers' College, Blacktown.

Montoya was signed by the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and played in their Harold Matthews Cup team. He progressed through Canterbury's youth system, and played in their NYC team between 2014 and 2016, scoring 36 tries in 46 matches. The captain of the NYC team in 2016, he also played seven games in Canterbury's New South Wales Cup team that year, scoring six tries. On 8 October 2016, Montoya made his international debut for Fiji in an international against Samoa in Apia, playing on the wing and scoring a try in Fiji's 20–18 win.

In February 2017, Montoya was named in Canterbury's 2017 NRL Auckland Nines squad. In round 3 of the 2017 NRL season, Montoya made his NRL debut for the Bulldogs against the New Zealand Warriors where he played on the wing and scored a try in the 24–12 win at Forsyth Barr Stadium in Dunedin, New Zealand. He is the first player of Chilean and South American descent to play in the NRL. He scored his first career double against the Newcastle Knights on the 7th April 2017 in a 22 points to 12 win.

On 6 June, Montoya re-signed with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs for a further three seasons until the end of 2020.

After a successful opening season in Montoya's career, the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs named him the NRL Rookie of the year.

In 2018, Montoya made 15 appearances for Canterbury and scored two tries. In September 2018, Montoya and other Canterbury players celebrated Mad Monday at The Harbour View Hotel in Sydney's CBD. Later in the night, photographs provided by the media showed Canterbury players heavily intoxicated, stripping naked and vomiting in the street. Montoya was pictured on the street asleep by photographers after vomiting earlier. Montoya was handed a fine of $10,000 ($5000 suspended) by the club for his involvement.

Montoya played the first two games of the 2019 season at centre as Canterbury suffered back to back heavy defeats against the New Zealand Warriors and the Parramatta Eels. Montoya was subsequently one of five players demoted to reserve grade by coach Dean Pay.

After spending 7 weeks in reserve grade, Montoya was recalled to the Canterbury side for their Round 9 match against the Newcastle Knights which Canterbury lost 22–10 at Suncorp Stadium.

In Round 18 against Brisbane, Montoya was taken from the field during the club's 28–6 loss with an apparent leg injury. Scans later revealed that Montoya would be ruled out for the rest of the season after it was shown he had tears to his posterior cruciate ligament, lateral ligament and medial meniscal ligament.

Montoya made his return for Canterbury in round 8 of the 2020 NRL season, scoring a try in a 26–10 loss against Souths. In round 10 against St. George and with the scores locked at 22-22, Canterbury spread the ball left and a routine pass was thrown to Montoya who in turn dropped the ball. Saints player Corey Norman picked up the loose ball and raced away to score the match winning try on the full-time siren.

On 22 September, it was revealed that Montoya would be released by Canterbury at the end of the 2020 NRL season. Montoya was one of eight players who were released as the club looked to rebuild for the 2021 season.

In round 4 of the 2021 NRL season, Montoya made his club debut against the Sydney Roosters. In round 11 of the 2021 NRL season, Montoya scored two tries in a 30–26 victory over the Wests Tigers.

In round 5 of the 2022 NRL season, Montoya used a homophobic slur against North Queensland winger Kyle Feldt in a match between their sides. The comment was picked up by in-game audio. Montoya was referred to the NRL judiciary and entered an early guilty plea. He was suspended for four matches. In round 10, Montaya scored two tries for New Zealand in their 32–30 loss against South Sydney. Montoya made a total of 18 appearances for the New Zealand club as they finished 15th on the table.

In round 3 of the 2023 NRL season, Montoya scored two tries for New Zealand in a 26–12 victory over North Queensland. In round 19, Montoya scored two tries for New Zealand in their 46-10 victory over Parramatta Eels. Montoya played 27 games for the New Zealand Warriors in the 2023 NRL season and scored eleven tries as the club finished 4th on the table and qualified for the finals. Montoya played in all three finals games as the club reached the preliminary final before being defeated by Brisbane.

The 27-year-old Lautoka-born Marcelo joined the club for the 2021 season, becoming the sixth acquisition for the campaign following the earlier signings of Ben Murdoch-Masila (Warrington), Euan Aitken (St George Illawarra), Kane Evans (Parramatta), Addin Fonua-Blake (Manly Warringah) and Sean O’Sullivan (Brisbane). Along with Fonua-Blake he is the only one of the sextet still with the One New Zealand Warriors in 2023.

He was named the Bulldogs’ 2017 rookie of the year after scoring 12 tries in 19 games, Montoya went on to make 54 first-grade appearances. He was used on the wing in 2017 and 2018 but has started in the centres in all but four of his last 21 appearances.

Of Chilean heritage on his father’s side, he began his career against his new club in the first and only NRL match played at Dunedin’s Forsyth Barr Stadium in 2017, marking it with a try in the Bulldogs’ 24-12 victory over the One New Zealand Warriors.

He had a prolific NYC under-20 career scoring 36 tries in 46 matches from 2014 to 2016.

After making his international debut in 2016, Montoya was in the Fiji side which stunned the Kiwis 4-2 in Wellington in the quarter-finals of the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

In his debut season with the One New Zealand Warriors he won the clubman of the year award.

Screenshot 2023-10-16 9.17.36 PM.png
Screenshot from the official Warriors site of Montoya Marcelo bio as of 16/10/2023...

Last edited by a moderator:
100% effort guy and great clubman

Hasn’t been playing great of late - shocker against Manly. Better last week against the Dragons.

Hopefully switches the light on for the finals 💡

Warriors star Marcelo Montoya and his wife Tayla share their love for New Zealand​

By Kelly Bertrand
25 Nov, 2023 06:00 AM7 mins to read
The league sensation and his wife Tayla reveal the awesome life they’ve built in Aotearoa. Photo / Emily Chalk

The league sensation and his wife Tayla reveal the "awesome" life they’ve built in Aotearoa. Photo / Emily Chalk

Giving up your job, your life, your family and your country all in one go is a big call – and that’s even before you chuck all the complications of a pandemic into the mix.

But it was a decision that’s paid off in more ways than one for New Zealand Warriors star winger Marcelo Montoya and his wife, The Hits radio producer Tayla, despite years of upheaval, separation and uncertainty.

Now, they happily tell Woman’s Day they couldn’t be prouder to be Kiwis – and they’ve completely and utterly fallen in love with Aotearoa.

“It’s been the most amazing year,” says Marcelo, 27. “It was always the right decision to come here. We love New Zealand and Auckland so much. The lifestyle and the vibe are incredible, and of course we had a great year on the field too.”

Tayla, 26, adds, “I don’t want to leave New Zealand. It’s been very good to me!”

The Montoyas have settled in quickly to the Kiwi way of life after only a year or so of living here, despite the fact Marcelo has been playing for the Warriors for the past three seasons.

“It’s been a year to remember, that’s for sure. We’re just so grateful to be able to call this place home now.” Photo / Kelly Bertrand
“It’s been a year to remember, that’s for sure. We’re just so grateful to be able to call this place home now.” Photo / Kelly Bertrand
“I signed with the Warriors and thought we’d be moving to New Zealand straight away, but then the pandemic happened,” he explains. “We only made it over here last year, and we were based in Australia for the 2021 and 2022 seasons.”

Tayla continues, “We’d already sold our cars – we were all prepared for the move – but then Covid hit and it was like, ‘Psych!’”

The week Marcelo decided to become a Warrior, he also decided to become a fiance, popping the question to his girlfriend of almost six years in their hometown of Sydney.

Tayla laughs, “I was like, ‘Does he want me to move with him or is it just him?’ But he signed his contract on the Monday and proposed on the Friday – although then I was like, ‘Is this a stitch-up to get me to move?’”

Ever since, life has been crazy for the couple, who first met nine years ago, when the Chilean-Fijian winger was playing for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and Tayla was a cheerleader.

“I remember he was very mature for his age,” says Tayla. “I know that’s saying a lot for an 18-year-old, but he was just so different to anyone I’d met before, especially from where I’m from in Sydney – it’s such a closed-off coastal town and everyone knows everyone’s business! Plus, no one there looks like him. As soon as I saw him – all tall, dark and handsome – I was like, ‘Jesus!’”

The couple first met nine years ago, when the Chilean-Fijian winger was playing for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and Tayla (right) was a cheerleader. Photo / Woman's Day
The couple first met nine years ago, when the Chilean-Fijian winger was playing for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and Tayla (right) was a cheerleader. Photo / Woman's Day

For Marcelo, he recalls first noticing Tayla’s beauty, before coming to know her sharp intelligence and work ethic. “She’s a hard worker,” he says. “She’s very smart and she already knew then what she wanted to do with life – that was really important. We just clicked straight away.”

The couple had to wait out Covid before tying the knot in a stunning Sydney ceremony last year. Tayla laughs, “My brother decided to flick in a wedding around the same time, so my parents said to me, ‘Don’t you bloody dare get married close to each other – it’s not good for the banker!’

“It was honestly so much fun – the best day. Although I had a deep, deep depression after it because I was like, ‘What do I have to look forward to now?’ So that’s why we have our dog Louie because I was really bored afterwards. We’re not ready to have kids quite yet, so the dog seemed like a great idea … And he was!”

Now, after all of the personal excitement, and the multiple moves and relocations as they followed the Warriors around their various Australian bases – Marcelo recalls, “I think it was from New South Wales to Gold Coast, then Gold Coast to Brisbane, then Brisbane to Auckland in the space of two years!” – life for the couple and beloved dachshund Louie is refreshingly and wonderfully “boring” as they revel in the stability of putting down roots in Tāmaki Makaurau.

Weekends consist of taking Louie for walks around their East Auckland suburb and heading out for coffee. “We’re really, really boring,” insists Marcelo. “We don’t get up to much!”

Tayla continues, “When we told people we were moving to New Zealand, they were a bit surprised and kept saying, ‘Huh? It’s usually the other way around!’ But we’ve really enjoyed it.”

“We’re settled now and it’s awesome,” adds Marcelo. “I’m signed with the club until the end of 2025, and we’ll see what happens then, but we both love it here so much and I love it at the Warriors. The plan is to stay there for as long as I can. I’d love to finish my career there. It’s a great club and we’re both so happy that we’re here.”

The week Marcelo decided to become a Warrior, he also decided to become a fiance. Photo / Woman's Day
The week Marcelo decided to become a Warrior, he also decided to become a fiance. Photo / Woman's Day
He and Tayla are remarkably similar when it comes to their extrovert personalities.

“Although we’re different in the fact Marcelo’s a clean freak, and I’m very chill and clumsy, and I don’t really care about anything!” she laughs.

They’re both loving the slower pace of life in Auckland, which was a surprise to them. Tayla says, “You don’t realise how psychotic Sydney is until you move away. Now every time we go back, it’s really overwhelming and now I realise why I’m such a cruel driver because everyone over there reckons they’re Formula One drivers!

“It’s so much more chill here and people are so, so friendly – it’s actually ridiculous how friendly. Everyone wants to help people here. Even with my job on radio, listeners are so lovely and willing to help out anyone who needs anything.”

New Zealand Warriors star winger Marcelo Montoya and his wife, The Hits radio producer Tayla. Photo / Woman's Day
New Zealand Warriors star winger Marcelo Montoya and his wife, The Hits radio producer Tayla. Photo / Woman's Day
Having come from the cut-throat world of Aussie radio, after a stint working on The Hits’ afternoon show, Tayla absolutely loves her role as an executive producer for Breakfast With Jono & Ben, which means keeping Kiwi jokers Jono Pryor and Ben Boyce in check every morning.

“Honestly, I’ve never met two men like that who are so passionate and excited about ideas,” she says. “It’s fun to be around and I’m never bored. It makes me want to work harder. Besides Marcelo, they’re the hardest workers I’ve ever met.”

And, of course, it’s also been a year to remember for Marcelo, with the Warriors enjoying success and adoration like never before, winning 16 of their 24 games and making the preliminary finals for the first time since 2011.

When we mention the “Up the Wahs!” phenomenon, the league star smiles, “It was so crazy how the country has got behind us. It’s been amazing. I’ve never experienced that in my life and it made the move so much easier. Actually, it sucks that it went by so fast!

“I remember my Kiwi sister-in-law telling me that no one really cares about the Warriors here. She warned me it was all about the All Blacks and I thought, ‘Great! I don’t want that craziness anyway.’ When you’re in Sydney and you play for a club like the Bulldogs, you’re always hassled in the media and they’re on your backs 24/7. But then it ended up that we are getting the same love as the All Blacks!

“It’s been a year to remember, that’s for sure. We’re just so grateful to be able to call this place home now.”

Warriors star Marcelo Montoya and his wife Tayla share their love for New Zealand​

By Kelly Bertrand
25 Nov, 2023 06:00 AM7 mins to read
The league sensation and his wife Tayla reveal the awesome life they’ve built in Aotearoa. Photo / Emily Chalk

The league sensation and his wife Tayla reveal the "awesome" life they’ve built in Aotearoa. Photo / Emily Chalk

Giving up your job, your life, your family and your country all in one go is a big call – and that’s even before you chuck all the complications of a pandemic into the mix.

But it was a decision that’s paid off in more ways than one for New Zealand Warriors star winger Marcelo Montoya and his wife, The Hits radio producer Tayla, despite years of upheaval, separation and uncertainty.

Now, they happily tell Woman’s Day they couldn’t be prouder to be Kiwis – and they’ve completely and utterly fallen in love with Aotearoa.

“It’s been the most amazing year,” says Marcelo, 27. “It was always the right decision to come here. We love New Zealand and Auckland so much. The lifestyle and the vibe are incredible, and of course we had a great year on the field too.”

Tayla, 26, adds, “I don’t want to leave New Zealand. It’s been very good to me!”

The Montoyas have settled in quickly to the Kiwi way of life after only a year or so of living here, despite the fact Marcelo has been playing for the Warriors for the past three seasons.

“I signed with the Warriors and thought we’d be moving to New Zealand straight away, but then the pandemic happened,” he explains. “We only made it over here last year, and we were based in Australia for the 2021 and 2022 seasons.”

Tayla continues, “We’d already sold our cars – we were all prepared for the move – but then Covid hit and it was like, ‘Psych!’”

The week Marcelo decided to become a Warrior, he also decided to become a fiance, popping the question to his girlfriend of almost six years in their hometown of Sydney.

Tayla laughs, “I was like, ‘Does he want me to move with him or is it just him?’ But he signed his contract on the Monday and proposed on the Friday – although then I was like, ‘Is this a stitch-up to get me to move?’”

Ever since, life has been crazy for the couple, who first met nine years ago, when the Chilean-Fijian winger was playing for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and Tayla was a cheerleader.

“I remember he was very mature for his age,” says Tayla. “I know that’s saying a lot for an 18-year-old, but he was just so different to anyone I’d met before, especially from where I’m from in Sydney – it’s such a closed-off coastal town and everyone knows everyone’s business! Plus, no one there looks like him. As soon as I saw him – all tall, dark and handsome – I was like, ‘Jesus!’”

The couple first met nine years ago, when the Chilean-Fijian winger was playing for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and Tayla (right) was a cheerleader. Photo / Woman's Day's Day

For Marcelo, he recalls first noticing Tayla’s beauty, before coming to know her sharp intelligence and work ethic. “She’s a hard worker,” he says. “She’s very smart and she already knew then what she wanted to do with life – that was really important. We just clicked straight away.”

The couple had to wait out Covid before tying the knot in a stunning Sydney ceremony last year. Tayla laughs, “My brother decided to flick in a wedding around the same time, so my parents said to me, ‘Don’t you bloody dare get married close to each other – it’s not good for the banker!’

“It was honestly so much fun – the best day. Although I had a deep, deep depression after it because I was like, ‘What do I have to look forward to now?’ So that’s why we have our dog Louie because I was really bored afterwards. We’re not ready to have kids quite yet, so the dog seemed like a great idea … And he was!”

Now, after all of the personal excitement, and the multiple moves and relocations as they followed the Warriors around their various Australian bases – Marcelo recalls, “I think it was from New South Wales to Gold Coast, then Gold Coast to Brisbane, then Brisbane to Auckland in the space of two years!” – life for the couple and beloved dachshund Louie is refreshingly and wonderfully “boring” as they revel in the stability of putting down roots in Tāmaki Makaurau.

Weekends consist of taking Louie for walks around their East Auckland suburb and heading out for coffee. “We’re really, really boring,” insists Marcelo. “We don’t get up to much!”

Tayla continues, “When we told people we were moving to New Zealand, they were a bit surprised and kept saying, ‘Huh? It’s usually the other way around!’ But we’ve really enjoyed it.”

“We’re settled now and it’s awesome,” adds Marcelo. “I’m signed with the club until the end of 2025, and we’ll see what happens then, but we both love it here so much and I love it at the Warriors. The plan is to stay there for as long as I can. I’d love to finish my career there. It’s a great club and we’re both so happy that we’re here.”

The week Marcelo decided to become a Warrior, he also decided to become a fiance. Photo / Woman's Day's Day
He and Tayla are remarkably similar when it comes to their extrovert personalities.

“Although we’re different in the fact Marcelo’s a clean freak, and I’m very chill and clumsy, and I don’t really care about anything!” she laughs.

They’re both loving the slower pace of life in Auckland, which was a surprise to them. Tayla says, “You don’t realise how psychotic Sydney is until you move away. Now every time we go back, it’s really overwhelming and now I realise why I’m such a cruel driver because everyone over there reckons they’re Formula One drivers!

“It’s so much more chill here and people are so, so friendly – it’s actually ridiculous how friendly. Everyone wants to help people here. Even with my job on radio, listeners are so lovely and willing to help out anyone who needs anything.”

New Zealand Warriors star winger Marcelo Montoya and his wife, The Hits radio producer Tayla. Photo / Woman's Day's Day
Having come from the cut-throat world of Aussie radio, after a stint working on The Hits’ afternoon show, Tayla absolutely loves her role as an executive producer for Breakfast With Jono & Ben, which means keeping Kiwi jokers Jono Pryor and Ben Boyce in check every morning.

“Honestly, I’ve never met two men like that who are so passionate and excited about ideas,” she says. “It’s fun to be around and I’m never bored. It makes me want to work harder. Besides Marcelo, they’re the hardest workers I’ve ever met.”

And, of course, it’s also been a year to remember for Marcelo, with the Warriors enjoying success and adoration like never before, winning 16 of their 24 games and making the preliminary finals for the first time since 2011.

When we mention the “Up the Wahs!” phenomenon, the league star smiles, “It was so crazy how the country has got behind us. It’s been amazing. I’ve never experienced that in my life and it made the move so much easier. Actually, it sucks that it went by so fast!

“I remember my Kiwi sister-in-law telling me that no one really cares about the Warriors here. She warned me it was all about the All Blacks and I thought, ‘Great! I don’t want that craziness anyway.’ When you’re in Sydney and you play for a club like the Bulldogs, you’re always hassled in the media and they’re on your backs 24/7. But then it ended up that we are getting the same love as the All Blacks!

“It’s been a year to remember, that’s for sure. We’re just so grateful to be able to call this place home now.”

Thanks for sharing the article with the link. I much appreciated it. He is a Goat.