General Worst Warriors Seasons - Where does this one compare?

Reaction score

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
This feels like our worst season in history, perhaps on paper its not. But with George dismantling the team and letting go a huge chunk of our attacking talent in SJ, CNK and Lino, without having better talent to replace them or in CNKs case the coach playing someone who showed from the start he was first grade material, but if you arent in SK's old school player type, you dont get a game, he loves his 4 hookers on game day and he hadnt finally realised how much Kata wasnt performing to allow space for someone as talented as CNK to show his stuff, and even then he would have to get a nod over Beale who imo is too good for our club in 2nd grade. And with SK showing he clearly cannot coach/improve players, coach offense or instill game day intensity into players (some like RTS bring it themselves but the large percentage due to not being from the Aus coaching system dont). With SK all signed up it also feels like another Elliot/Cappy era, another 3 years of not making the 8, so out of 7 years SK makes the 8 once, very depressing team wise despite some glimmers of hope in CHT, Hayze Perham, Ah Mau, RTS (I doubt he will stick around, hes worth way more money and a much better club, coach and CEO).

Luckily we are far enough out to avoid the spoon, but finishing 14th is a joke.

What are some other years where we finished close to the bottom because right now this feels like our worst year ever with an alread -110 FNA?

Reaction score

nakiproud

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
It's been a hard few years.. But I'm sorry under Kearney I have NO faith.
When will the club realise this?? Everything we see shows us a coach who can't coach.... And players who don't give a fuck... And they want our money??
So, for the record, I can actually cope with a team who doesn't make the finals every year. I can see its tough with the referees. What I want is a team that entertains. Under Kearney we are sit... AND boring

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

Hands up if you are a shit coach
Reaction score
Luckily we are far enough out to avoid the spoon, but finishing 14th is a joke.
If Dragons beat panthers this week and games go as expected we will finish 15th. A fair reflection on what Kearney has done to this club.

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
2009 was definitely the worst due to the loss of sonny fai.
This years probably been the most boring. An uninspiring rooster playing a boring style under a super conservative coach- we never really looked capable of making the eight little own challenging for the title.
It’s been a complete yawn.

Reaction score
wallacenz

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
somewhere in the middle, every Warriors team for the last 8 years has had their fair share of 40 point thrashings. At least this team isnt finishing the season on an 8 game losing streak like 3 of the recent seasons. This team is average across the park with the exception of the back 3 but they are still on par performance-wise with better Warriors teams in recent years.

I think the expectation was they would be fit and hungry after last year so even losing SJ they would compete but they just looked flat all season. Players like Pulu and Afoa just disappeared out of the team, and the forwards got dominated by everyone

Weak team with about the right results for the talent assembled I reckon. Last year was an anomaly.

Reaction score

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I would like to compare numbers in for and against if easy enough to dig up our worst efforts?

I dont know where to from here. My feelings are open, we will never win the comp with the Club based in NZ. If they changed the season to 16 rounds, and the team was 90% Aus bred/coached stock, then they may have enough intensity to beat being out of the NRL Circle.

On top of that they need a coach who is intensity focussed. NZ players are naturally talented but tend to lose interest and intensity as soon as things dont go their way. So if the team is largely Aus stock then that should counter this losing culture.

But ultimately, the club needs an Australian presence, as Ive said many times, ANZ Stadium, South Brisbane. HUGE Kiwi fan base in South Bris and Gold Coast. And keep a presence in NZ for a number of home games. Being in the NRL Circle will get our young guys living and breathing Aus NRL which is a VERY different experience to NZ and even Auck based club culture. Plus the major benefit, we have a better chance of attracting marquee Aussie plauers to make uo 80% of our team and utilise the few Auck based players that come through that are ultra special and mentally smart. Need to remove a bit of the bro culture and replace it with Aus NRL culture. I think the dream of NZ players not scouted early by Aus club to fill the Auck Warriors dream is just unrealistic and never going to happen. To me, it matters not where the main base is, or how many Aussie players are in the team, if the club makes the 4 consistently we will win premierships and the name will still be NZ Warriors on the cup.

Reaction score
BA-AD Luck

BA-AD Luck

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
THE WORST

Reactions: FAN
Reaction score
wallacenz

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Technically this will be number 3 or 4 based on win/loss, interestingly 2017 was another shocker under the same coach but at that stage people were saying he had to have a chance to build his own team.. well here it is in 2019

Reaction score
Kestrel84

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Reaction score
This is the worst? Really?? Are you kidding me??

Short memories, guys. 2012 felt pretty shit, but nothing compares to how I felt about the 2017 season - that was diabolical and I was pretty much ready to walk away from the Warriors. Only the start to the 2018 season re-energized me with the club.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
On top of that they need a coach who is intensity focussed. NZ players are naturally talented but tend to lose interest and intensity as soon as things dont go their way. So if the team is largely Aus stock then that should counter this losing culture.
That never used to be a Kiwi trait...it is an elephant in the room thing

Reaction score

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
2004 or 2012 were horrible considering where we came from the previous year.

This year just feels worse because on top of the horrible performances we're bored shitless with nothing to give us hope for next year.

Reaction score

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I would like to compare numbers in for and against if easy enough to dig up our worst efforts?
2004 was statistically our worst with a F/A of -266 or something like that. Conceded close to 700 points.

2000 was -236 and then 2009 with -188

We're currently at -145

Reaction score
Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Other seasons have been and felt much worse than this one, but it is not about this season in isolation for me.

There is always a catalyst for hope going forward. Often false dawns, but new coaches, new players, exciting rookie prospects, players returning from injuries players building on early foundations in FG, players that are just exciting to watch despite the end result for the team etc. Nothing looks like it is going to change next year, I just can't find anything hopeful to grab onto. Years of mediocrity have made this place seem like aids to potential recruits, and not just superstars but rookies, journeyman, fringe hopefuls, everyone. The Superleague would be more attractive to guys in Aussie right now.

For that reason this is the worst season for me.

The club has ruined our roster by plumping for vanilla-type robots ahead of x-factor players, which have been marginalised to a point where the club is maligned. Imagine being a second rower stuck behind Ayshford. Imagine being stuck behind Burr. Those guys give good honest performances and are probably good club men, but a FG team they do not make. I totally understand why that decision was made, the club's history dictated that the joint needed to become more professional, but jeez did they need to become so fucken conservative across the board.

I have wavered over Kearney until this year, but he is too scared of taking risks to ever be a successful coach in my eyes. This conservatism is just negative energy, morale-sapping stupefaction. The club is going to be in a straight-jacket for the next few years and no one outside of the club is going to want a bar of that.

I actually think that a couple of years of offering ONLY one year contracts is the way to go. Sure we will miss most on the market, but we do anyway. Sure, we will open ourselves up to be pillaged of many of our brighter prospects, but at least we will build towards an ability to make wholesale, meaningful change.

I think I need to change my username.

Last edited:
Reaction score
mrblonde

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score

I dont know where to from here. My feelings are open, we will never win the comp with the Club based in NZ. If they changed the season to 16 rounds, and the team was 90% Aus bred/coached stock, then they may have enough intensity to beat being out of the NRL Circle.

But ultimately, the club needs an Australian presence, as Ive said many times, ANZ Stadium, South Brisbane. HUGE Kiwi fan base in South Bris and Gold Coast. And keep a presence in NZ for a number of home games. Being in the NRL Circle will get our young guys living and breathing Aus NRL which is a VERY different experience to NZ and even Auck based club culture. Plus the major benefit, we have a better chance of attracting marquee Aussie plauers to make uo 80% of our team and utilise the few Auck based players that come through that are ultra special and mentally smart. Need to remove a bit of the bro culture and replace it with Aus NRL culture. I think the dream of NZ players not scouted early by Aus club to fill the Auck Warriors dream is just unrealistic and never going to happen. To me, it matters not where the main base is, or how many Aussie players are in the team, if the club makes the 4 consistently we will win premierships and the name will still be NZ Warriors on the cup.
So, in short, kill off the New Zealand Warriors, rename them, say, the South Queensland Toads and give Kiwi league fans one or two "home" games to feed their appetite. The NRL will offer you a firm No Effin' Way on that one - mainly for money reasons. And your argument neatly ignores the reality that every wooden spooner in the NRL has been a club "living and breathing NRL culture" ie based in Australia.

Reaction score
FAN

FAN

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The only thing that SUCKS more than us right now is BONNIE ROTTEN, but I forgive her, cause she is, well...... HOT!
OK,honestly, read the comments, liked most of them. We have had some pretty crappy other seasons besides this one, but for me, this one takes them all out because we are just so boring to watch, we have no flair what so ever.
I think next year will be the same.

Reaction score

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Just so boring this year, and Luke going removes one of the few players with flair in the team. There’s been a lot of crap seasons but this one would be one of the worst behind 2004.

Reaction score

jonesy101

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
2000 was easily the worst. We were fortunate David Moffett had enough patience to allow us enough time to retain our license and find a willing buyer in Eric Watson after the joint Graham Lowe/Tainui venture bankrupted the club. At least we know we'll be playing in the comp next year.

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
This is the worst for me as had some expectations. The resources available to Kearney and co are far greater than the likes of 2000. The lower grade teams are terrible too and above all, I’ve lost total confidence in the coach.

Reaction score
mrblonde

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Still rate 2000 as The Ultimate Worst Warriors Season as there was a shitload of off-field crap going on as well as the team being crap on-field and there was a possibility - however slight - that the Warriors would go under.
This has been unacceptable, certainly, but my Top 3 Crap Warriors Seasons still is: 2000, 2004, 2012. This season is, sadly, mid-field in terms of crapness. It needs to get an Anti-Corvo trainer to get it's act together if it wants to get really crap!
Sometime during the off-season I'll work out where in the 25 this season ranks and post it but at this point, this is 17th. I think. :)

Top Bottom