General Worst coach - SK, Cappy, Bluey or Eliiot?

Who is the worst coach since Ivan left us?

• Stephen Kearney

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • Cappy

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Bluey

Votes: 43 46.7%
  • Eliiot

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Tony Iro

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Kemp

Votes: 14 15.2%

• Total voters
Beastmode

Beastmode

Just another day in paradise
Contributor
It’s crazy, every kiwi on that list is STILL involved in the Warriors in some way, shape or form...... it’s like you can’t get rid of them

gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Cappy is going to have a long future ahead of him as a coach.

He was caught in a power struggle with some of our players with little senior leadership at a difficult time for the club. For a new coach it was a challenging situation for him to walk into. Our club is a coach killer and arguably it was not the best place to blood a foreign rookie.

He was still respectable result wise (45%) as head coach, then has performed well as Kearney’s assistant and has carried on success at the Raiders.

A few more years experience and he will be a head coach again. I would take him back at the Warriors. I believe he’s better than Kearney.
if the boss is caught in a power struggle with his workers for a period of 8 years then hes not a good boss, can he learn from it sure. will he?

I would never take him back. You have a very short memory of how bad things were before SK joined. This club was headed in one direction The Basement. And he was here for all of that. They should have binned him when they ditched elliot, they sure as shit shouldnt have given him the reins.

Reactions: Off The Bench
gpred

gpred

Contributor
Kearney privilege?
Now I’m not one to buy into all the privilege stuff that floats about these days. But let’s assume I am.
Well then, I would have to believe that there is a thing called ‘Kearney privilege’.
Most people are saying that he is a worse coach than Bluey. But in terms of the NRL, Kearney has a worse winning percentage. Cold fact.
Ok, let’s step outside the NRL. Kearney was better with the Kiwis, but he had Benny holding his hand. Bluey has an outstanding record in the UK. Let’s call it a draw.
It seems well agreed that Kearney has/had more resources at his disposal. Also he had the great advantage of being tutored by the two greatest coaches in the game in Bellamy (1) and Bennett (2).
So based on the above, how is it that Bluey is worse. Sure, he is a shit coach too. But worse than Kearney?
The evidence points to Bluey being better. But, yet we say Kearney is better.
Why?
Is it because Bluey sounds like a moron, which he really does.

Or is it SK privilege?

mrblonde

mrblonde

How can anyone say Elliott was the best? When you rank them in terms of previous first grade coaching experience and then their performance as Warriors coach, surely Elliott and McLennan take the Top 2 as Worst Warriors Coach Since Cleary....

Juno

Kearney privilege?
Now I’m not one to buy into all the privilege stuff that floats about these days. But let’s assume I am.
Well then, I would have to believe that there is a thing called ‘Kearney privilege’.
Most people are saying that he is a worse coach than Bluey. But in terms of the NRL, Kearney has a worse winning percentage. Cold fact.
Ok, let’s step outside the NRL. Kearney was better with the Kiwis, but he had Benny holding his hand. Bluey has an outstanding record in the UK. Let’s call it a draw.
It seems well agreed that Kearney has/had more resources at his disposal. Also he had the great advantage of being tutored by the two greatest coaches in the game in Bellamy (1) and Bennett (2).
So based on the above, how is it that Bluey is worse. Sure, he is a shit coach too. But worse than Kearney?
The evidence points to Bluey being better. But, yet we say Kearney is better.
Why?

Or is it SK privilege?

The old trope re bennett...a good coach gets the help they need, no ego. Kearney went on to win the 4 nations without bennett. Not saying bennett isn't a master or that kearney hasn't got a long way to go. Everyone starts somewhere & kearney has a stubborn belief, a player's experience of the nrl & apprenticeshps under the best...I don't really see a downside except time.

Reactions: Rizzah
gpred

gpred

Contributor
So everyone still think that SK has no idea?
That the process is a joke?
That Cappi was a better coach?
Whether I think he is a genius or a fool, if I am prepared to change my mind after one performance, I would just be admiting that I am a moron.

While I have always suspected I might be, I am not at a point in my life where I am ready to face it.

Beastmode

Beastmode

Just another day in paradise
Contributor
I got time for Stephen. My bias against him is slowly evaporating.

This list shows it’s a tough gig coaching the team, no matter who you are.

One thing I learnt over the weekend :

YOU CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER, BUT YOU CANT MAKE IT DRINK.

Those horses were thirsty Friday night.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Back in the day when he was coaching Leeds he was occasionally interviewed On Radio Sport and sounded very good. Maybe that can be put down to Kiwis having to pronounce their words more clearly for English (especially Yorkshiremen) and so they sound better when speaking to Kiwis. I don't know that he talks so much shite here, just that he has the old Kiwi accent back and is often surrounded by less than knowledgeable people on SKY.
Except Ivan was far more successful.
and less resourced ;)
How can anyone say Elliott was the best?
Based on NRL wins he was. That is the point, if you cannot say SK is a bad coach, you cannot say he is a good one either. The jury is still out. One thing for sure, if I had a three year plus contract, plus Smith as head of football and O'Sullivan doing the scouting I would be feeling confident for maybe three years down the track.

Vedoid

Except Ivan was far more successful.

Whilst that doesn't make any sense in relation to my post, you do highlight the emotional bias of many back then; the success of our club didn't matter to a lot of our supporters at the time - they could only see a team of second rowers playing boring footy - even though it was finals footy most of the time. He was incredibly unpopular. Only in hindsight did the venom ease up on Ivan's tenure.

Kearney coached our side to within one win of the minor premiers last season, an excellent response to his first season both on and off the park. When you read some of the crap on here about wanting our team to lose so the coach gets fired... I nearly feel embarrassed for the posters. If people can't see the change in our club from a couple of seasons ago when Kearney began, then they probably won't understand any of this post either. I don't know where we'll end up when Kearney is no longer our coach but personally I hope we continue with him for the long term.

wizards rage

wizards rage

Whilst that doesn't make any sense in relation to my post, you do highlight the emotional bias of many back then; the success of our club didn't matter to a lot of our supporters at the time - they could only see a team of second rowers playing boring footy - even though it was finals footy most of the time. He was incredibly unpopular. Only in hindsight did the venom ease up on Ivan's tenure.

Kearney coached our side to within one win of the minor premiers last season, an excellent response to his first season both on and off the park. When you read some of the crap on here about wanting our team to lose so the coach gets fired... I nearly feel embarrassed for the posters. If people can't see the change in our club from a couple of seasons ago when Kearney began, then they probably won't understand any of this post either. I don't know where we'll end up when Kearney is no longer our coach but personally I hope we continue with him for the long term.
I agree, most people’s memories of Cleary are getting rosier with time. Average coach. Average results. Kearney has more potential if he lasts the same length.

mrblonde

mrblonde

wizards rage makes a point:

In 2009, forget Sonny Fai's death, forget everything else that was going on in every Warriors employee's heads more important than rugby league subsequently: Some posters on the old forum wanted Cleary gone, gone, gone. Even in 2011 - at the start, certainly - he wasn't given much slack. Boring "bomb to Manu" was his fault, he was shackling the players' natural skills, etc etc. The joy when McClennan was announced was pretty massive...

There are two types of Warriors coaches: Those being slagged off on this forum and...actually, there's only one type. The coach is an idiot if he doesn't do everything exactly as you'd do it. His level of idiocy is co-related to how closely his and your plans align on that particular naming day/game day/a particular player etc.

Post Warriors: Cleary did go and walk out on the Tigers, which was a bit of a shitty thing to do when you think about it.

I'll give him that one mistake, but it was a mistake. Not as in "he'd be doing tons better at the Tigers", because he might be in the same position Maguire's in now, but because he handled it badly. If not outright shouldn't have done it.

That’s a very interesting point.

A massive log jam or teams from #1-8

It's factually true that that's where we ended up, 2 Competition Pts and -155 in PD off 1st. but let's not give Kearney any credit for making the comp so even last year. I mean, he's great. But he's not that great. And if he did pull strings and beg favours for us to be that close to the Minor Premiership, he should've held some of that back for the Panthers game, don'cha think? So maybe he's awful...