General Worst coach - SK, Cappy, Bluey or Eliiot?

Who is the worst coach since Ivan left us?

• Stephen Kearney

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • Cappy

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Bluey

Votes: 43 46.7%
  • Eliiot

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Tony Iro

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Kemp

Votes: 14 15.2%

• Total voters
Bushman

Bushman

Contributor
Interesting no one has voted cappy yet, players seemed to not want him to leave and done alright with Cambra (kinda like the misspelling of this) did we miss the boat on this one? If no top tier coach available after SK should we bring him back?

Tragic

Tragic

Contributor
I reckon having Hart helped Ivan be more successful. Brian Smith has a lot of experience so I hope SK can leverage that experience, I keep hearing that he doesnt use him, thats fine when you are winning every week but where we are on the table he should be talking to as many people as he can for help.

mrblonde

mrblonde

McClennan by a mile. Mainly because of the hype surrounding his signing. Which, eventually, I bought into. And then I heard of an observation of his English success which was basically "Yeah, he won trophies. With rosters previous coaches had assembled."

Not the kind of coach we needed at the time, given the how-ever-many-hundred-games worth of experience that had walked out the door at the end of 2011 (however you feel about the individual players, it was a few and they had some decent miles behind them), only to be replaced by Nathan Friend. And McClennan even pubically basically said "I've got all the players I need." Bad move.

I'd go:
McFadden
Kearney
Elliott
McClennan

as of right now. The gap between McFadden and Kearney is smaller than between Kearney and Elliott by a fair bit.

I've left this list at coaches who've had a fair crack of the whip since Cleary left. Iro, bit hard to judge on two games as head coach. As an assistant, well, there's all sorts of rumours about white-anting etc, etc, but who'd really know?

gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
had to go Cappy on longevity. here the longest and had the most impact on the club. bluey was dumber but got moved on faster

Beastmode

Beastmode

Just another day in paradise
Contributor
It’s important to put things in perspective.

Based off all this feedback, we could and have done worse than Kearney.

Sure, he’s fucked up a lot of things, but it could have been worse.

Much much worse.

For those wanting Kearney sacked, does it change your view of him?

The very negatives we give him, would we have given the same grade to Cappy, Elliot, Bluey, Iro and Kemp ??

I think he is the best of that entire group.

Including Cappy.

Cappy was out of his depth as head coach. He is a fantastic assistant coach. But that is it.

I am trying to see the other side of the argument...

3 more years of Kearney... FMD...

snake77

snake77

McClennan for me. The hype for him was way over the top. After he returned from Leeds any article on a Warriors loss under Cleary was littered with comments of "get Bluey in there he is a winner", "Bluey won two Super League title" or asking for his opinion.

I said to people I knew at the time that he would struggle to get them to the finals. If he was lucky enough to get them there he could motivate them for a short run.

Also would tell people the Super League title were based off the team Tony Smith had built. He had the best team, they had already won the year before. The guy they should of hired was Michael Maguire who went over there and rebuilt Wigan. He started at Souths that same year and ended up building them up to a premiership.

McClennan inherited a club coming off a high with 3 grades making a Grand Final the previous year. A lot of talent coming through, hindsight we know some of them were flawed. But also most coaches would of worried about the amount of experienced lost and recruited. He was full of confidence and probably trying to impress the new co-owner and said he had the team to win.

Elliott is technically good but pushes to much information onto players.

Cappy took over after a bad start to the season, got things going. Tried to implement change but that eventually seemed to disappear. You could see a style of play he was trying to implement.

Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
I like Kearney as a coach and what he (together with Cappy) have done for the club. However, I feel he can get a club 90% of the way there, but then falls when it comes to the finer tactical details. Our roster is dire and contributes, but we are one-dimensional, and curious team selection decisions can literally lose us games.

I just don't see him improving personally, but without Shaun Johnson or an Shaun Johnson replacement he has a poisoned chalice, just like he got at the Eels. Yes, he built his roster, but you will have a hard time convincing me that this is the team he wanted. We have missed out on so many guys now (potentially he is a factor there). I honestly think that he got the majority of the rebuild right, but like plenty before him has been slapped across the face when it comes to the reality of being 'the NZ based club.' A rebuild is only as good as the team that it is possible to construct at its completion.

Cappy was identified as a guy that was going to be a big gun coach in the future, so we gambled and invested time in him. He'll be around for the next 10 years at least, so the jury is still out there. He always gave the impression that he was willing to listen, wiling to learn. Because he is not the final product (and the others are to an extent), I rate him the highest of all the coaches in the list.

Some things that Elliott put into place were okay, but he probably managed to bluff his way through coaching for a number of years.

Bluey is that old-school type of high school coach that is extremely good value at that level.

Last edited:
warriors55

warriors55

It’s important to put things in perspective.

Based off all this feedback, we could and have done worse than Kearney.

Sure, he’s fucked up a lot of things, but it could have been worse.

Much much worse.

For those wanting Kearney sacked, does it change your view of him?

The very negatives we give him, would we have given the same grade to Cappy, Elliot, Bluey, Iro and Kemp ??

I think he is the best of that entire group.

Including Cappy.

Cappy was out of his depth as head coach. He is a fantastic assistant coach. But that is it.

I am trying to see the other side of the argument...

3 more years of Kearney... FMD...

It is the same with Kearney. He is an fantastic assistant coach. That's it.

playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
To be fair to all, perhaps a better poll would be, ‘ who is the best assistant coach’ ?

Many of those coaches were good assistants who didn’t kick on as Head Coaches ... Kemp, Iro, Cappy, Kearney...

Reactions: Zarjaz

Dunedin warrior

It’s a hard one, I think Iro only got 2 games at the end of the season so you can’t really rate him. Kemp wasn’t very good and got the job at a bad time.

Elliott wasn’t the right man for job although Watson probably pulled the trigger too quickly. Cappy needed just a bit more luck really injuries to Shaun Johnson, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Tomkins blew a couple of seasons for him. I think he’ll get another head coach job at some stage.

Kearney has been a head coach for 5 seasons with one winning season and four terrible seasons. He has a winning record of 35.5%which is lower than any of the others except Kemp and that might even change by the end of the season.

gpred

gpred

Contributor
One has to look at win percentage IMO and my rankings are (in reverse order for worst i.e. Bluey, Sk, Cappy, Elliott):
Elliott had 45% at the Warriors, 45% Raiders 43% at Penrith plus 69% at Bradford
Cappy had 45% at the Warriors
SK has 43% at the Warriors and 24% at the Eels plus Kiwis 55%
Bluey had 36% at the Warriors but 72% at Leeds plus Kiwis 36%

Some explanation behind those rankings:

Elliott had to deal with Watson and Owen Glenn, and had actually been asked by Glenn to develop a managers role with Cappy as coach, then he got sacked. He certainly wasn't a players favourite but.
Cappy and Bluey were terribly under resourced by Watson. Bluey should have demanded more resources before coming back, but then they might have stuck with Ivan, and he obviously wanted to come home.
SK was a better Kiwis coach, but Bluey didn't have Wayne Bennett helping...did he? Also SK is the best resourced Warriors coach of all time.

Conclusion...this club couldn't pick a decent management team if it tried. They had Ivan and Hart and really blew that. Elliott and Cappy might have worked well too, if they had been resourced.
To me, the figures suggest that neither SK or Bluey is an NRL coach, end of story.
When Graham Lowe said the club has to stop being nice to people and think about winning a comp, my guess is he means SK.
Solid argument. If you consider the question of who is the worst NRL coach (which is mainly what I personally care about) then there is a pretty good argument the SK is worse than Bluey. SK has a 35% winning NRL record, while Bluey has 36%. If you then accept that SK has access to much better resources as you suggest, it's SK as the clear loser.

I will note that Bluey was only afforded 22 games, so it's barely a sample size. But in any case, SK worst NRL coach for me. The facts we have available point to this.

Old Sid

I cringe every time I hear Tony Kemp on the radio.
I just cannot understand why his view on life 90% of the time seems to be the polar opposite of mine... always seems to be trying to make an indirect point in his own favour and thinking that we are stupid enough not to read between the lines... wish he'd been on the poll before I have my vote...:oops:

wizards rage

wizards rage

Cappy needed just a bit more luck really injuries to Shaun Johnson, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Tomkins blew a couple of seasons for him. I think he’ll get another head coach job at some stage.
Cappy is going to have a long future ahead of him as a coach.

He was caught in a power struggle with some of our players with little senior leadership at a difficult time for the club. For a new coach it was a challenging situation for him to walk into. Our club is a coach killer and arguably it was not the best place to blood a foreign rookie.

He was still respectable result wise (45%) as head coach, then has performed well as Kearney’s assistant and has carried on success at the Raiders.

A few more years experience and he will be a head coach again. I would take him back at the Warriors. I believe he’s better than Kearney.

france

france

I just cannot understand why his view on life 90% of the time seems to be the polar opposite of mine... always seems to be trying to make an indirect point in his own favour and thinking that we are stupid enough not to read between the lines... wish he'd been on the poll before I have my vote...:oops:
he annoys the fuck outta me ,when he supposed to just be a comments man on the radio..he stutters like fuck trying to sound like he fkn knows it all FFS..WANKER

Reactions: Beastmode
bruce

bruce

Contributor
He was a very good international standard player who was the first to make a stand against international transfer rules. Apart from that I don't know WTF he has to offer the game.

mrblonde

mrblonde

Some things that Elliott put into place were okay, but he probably managed to bluff his way through coaching for a number of years.

To give him credit, it was his idea that the NSWRL team be entirely Warriors controlled rather than 50-50 with the ARL. Which always seemed to me to be the logical approach, as the point of the NSWRL team was to get players ready for NRL/to return to NRL.