Internationals World 9s?

Northern_Union

Anyone heard that the IRLF is running a world 9s next year?? News to me.

https://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=187563

THIRTEEN teams will participate in the Fiji National Rugby League Nines tournament to be played in Lautoka today.
The teams have been grouped into four pools with the pool winners progressing to the semi finals at the Lautoka Methodist School ground.
FNRL development officer Sale Tubuna said another tournament will be held at the Bidesi and Buckhurst Park in Suva next week.
He said the tournaments were being held in a bid to identify players to be part of the training squad for next year's World Nines Championship in Samoa.
"The tournaments will serve as a selection process for next year's World Nines," Tubuna said.
"Two clubs from Suva will participate in the first tournament."
The clubs that have confirmed entry for tomorrow's event includes West Tigers, Sabeto Roosters, Lautoka Crushers, Malawai Sea Eagles, Saru Dragons, Police Sharks and Makoi Bulldogs.
Tubuna said there was high interest in the sport in Suva.
He said they expected an increase in the number of teams in the Eastern Conference.
"There are a few new clubs being formed," Tubuna said.
"We have the likes of Narere Eels, Nakasi and Kinoya. Also Prison has showed interest in taking up the sport. The FNRL will assist these clubs technically. We will hold coaching clinics for the new clubs."
The FNRL Nines tournament will kick off at 8.30am in Lautoka.

Tajhay_old

i doubt its a irlf sanctioned tournament...prob referring to the 'world nines' that was held in cabramatta a couple of years ago...from memory there was a australian fiji team coached by manoa thompson....was all local park players..

dingleberry_old

Does anyone know what the "Prison" club is? It's had me scratching my head as to how clubs in Fiji work. Prison vs Police Sharks?? Now that would be a game.

Northern_Union

It'll be a prison team. The Christchurch mens prison (Addington i think it is) used to or still does have a team in the Canterbury 2nd RL.

Viking_old

It'll be a prison team. The Christchurch mens prison (Addington i think it is) used to or still does have a team in the Canterbury 2nd RL.

Pareremo had a team in the senior As comp a couple of years ago too.

The prison club could be made up of the prison guards. The guards in Auckland have an inter prison rugby tournament late in the year.

playdaball_old

THE prison league would be pretty good with a few national representatives ready for selection as well as coaches.

Est95_old

Does anyone remember back in the day they had the pre-season 9's? Im sure it was clubs and pacific teams and was like a pre-season warm up tournament. Could be similar to what they are talking about?