General Working While Studying..

Samwitwiki

Samwitwiki

So i'm desperate to find a job while studying full-time any suggestions? i don't qualify for the student allowance.. i'm only 18, what kind of work should i be looking at doing and where should i look?

Thanks!!

wallacenz

wallacenz

So i'm desperate to find a job while studying full-time any suggestions? i don't qualify for the student allowance.. i'm only 18, what kind of work should i be looking at doing and where should i look?

Thanks!!
I was in that situation many years ago and did bar work. Id recommend inquiring at pubs or clubs where you study or close to home, or try through friends or friends of friends. Maybe cleaning jobs for cleaning companies, they start after 5pm generally.

ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Administrator
Haha you know the answer is hospitality right...

Unless if course you're studying in a field where you can get some sort of part time job as experience...or are connected to ppl that can give you those sort of opportunities.

Rizzah

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Yeah.. one word. Hospo ;)
Become a bartender. If you don't mind the hours and the pay while your learning, it's a pretty cool part-time job. You and your penis will have a shitload of fun!

Reactions: Samwitwiki
Ryan

Ryan

Heritage Member
I worked in a bar once, as a glassie. To dull the moments of having to listen to The Gambler for the gazillionth time (this was Whangarei, the Upper-North Zoo), I drank a lot of staff-rate swill while I was stumbling about picking up glasses. When I finally retired, it turned out I had spent all my of my wages, plus some, on pickling my liver. Ahhh, those were the days.

You could try going on the game. Could work from home too, which would be pretty rad.

Reactions: Hitman82
Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
If you get a bar job ( been there , busy night club ) or any customer service job......don't screw the crew or the patrons bro......that bit of advice though hard to live by avoids a lot of unhappy / scorned workmates....and serves you well long term.

I've worked with 90 % female crews ...thank god someone told me that when i started out son....

Rizzah

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Haha yeah, that's also one of the pitfalls of Hospo.. Pissing away your wages.
I've worked at a few bars now and a lot of them offered up free drinks at the end of the night.
A few had the end of the night as a court session, so if you ballsed up a some point in the night you had to do a jug or 3 at the end.
Good fun ;)

Reactions: Sup42
Rizzah

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
If you get a bar job ( been there , busy night club ) or any customer service job......don't screw the crew or the patrons bro.
Oh bullocks :)
Uni years are all about bed hopping.. he's what.. all of 18!

If your going to work hospo, at least make it fun. pick the coolest night spot(s) around your uni or where ever and take your cv in. then hound them for work.

Reactions: Spence and Sup42
Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
Oh bullocks :)
Uni years are all about bed hopping.. he's what.. all of 18!

If your going to work hospo, at least make it fun. pick the coolest night spot(s) around your uni or where ever and take your cv in. then hound them for work.
LOL well I'm not going to win that argument am I without sounding like a prude,

Hey by all means sow the oats.......I wasn't trying to convert the brother to the priesthood.....I just believe in not shitting in your own nest.....maybe wrong person / scenario....but useful none the less.

Rizzah

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Haha, it is sage advice. it def applies to general work/flat/living situations.

Reactions: Sup42
PartTimeFan

PartTimeFan

Night shifts at supers are decent. Laid back and almost fun compared to working during the day.

Haha oh to be 18 again.

Est95

Est95

If your Big, try bouncing. 3 of my friends did that, good for me and my other mates too haha no line waiting

Reactions: Hitman82
Hitman82

Hitman82

Hospo is great student work if you have a decent level of self control. Didn't suit me, as I ended up more broke while working at a bar, with the added bonus of constantly being tired haha. But I'm a rampant alcoholic maniac so maybe a poor example.
Personally I'd recommend taking any shit job, even stocking shelves, just to tide you over whilst trying to find a job which relates to your studies in some way. If you can find someone in your industry who's hiring, they often take pity on poor students and respect your efforts to gain experience in the chosen field.
Good luck bro!

If your Big, try bouncing. 3 of my friends did that, good for me and my other mates too haha no line waiting
Haha, yeah smash the roids and squat heavy for 6 months then become a bouncer. Loads of bouncers aren't even big, but it helps!

Moonfire

Moonfire

Sign up for SJS, I just got a job through them. The employers who advertise using it are only seeking students which makes the hours more suitable.

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Seems obvious to me, based on the fact you have asked this in a Warriors forum. Just go and get yourself a Toyota Cup contract. :)