TeamList Warriors vs Knights [Round 4, 2024]

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Jazz and Ale who were two of our best last week can’t make the squad you know you have depth.

Would like to see a full 80 minutes this week, we’ve done well in parts but patchy in others. Niukore will help, I think he’s a bit underrated in terms of his physicality both in attack and defence.

Not surprised about Pompey and he will do a good job. I am worried about Ali getting itchy feet though 😬
Happy for Pompey but disappointed for Ali. Really shows the pecking order.

Love Ali but he’s blocked for the next few years. For his development he needs to be looking elsewhere. To good for reserves. Resigning Pompey and RTS last year has blocked him.

And I don’t get the ‘he’s only young so wait’ argument. He’s 21 and many are regularly playing first grade younger than that.

Love Ali but he’s blocked for the next few years. For his development he needs to be looking elsewhere. To good for reserves. Resigning Pompey and RTS last year has blocked him.

And I don’t get the ‘he’s only young so wait’ argument. He’s 21 and many are regularly playing first grade younger than that.
No way we’re letting him go, would be horrendous

Kayal Iro for the Sharks another awesome centre talent has been biding his time for years, Ali can wait.

Also the fact he has just re-signed means he is seen as the future, not a worry to be had there.

I doubt very much that Pompey is seen as higher on the pecking order long-term. Another year in reserve grade means Ali can develop his skills and game IQ rather than being the usual Warriors story of coming in incomplete. It is so good to see the likes of Berry come good in terms of development, which has been the achilles heel of the Warriors for 10+ years. These guys are properly incubating. Leave our system at your peril.

So many 'boom centres' have had a very short life in the NRL.

A long-standing school of thought has been that veterans provide the mental steel necessary to win a premiership. But is this actually true?

Since the salary cap was introduced in 1990, only one squad has won with a squad above the competitions mean average age (Cronulla Sharks of 2016)

The random chance of only one squad in 30 years having an average age above the mean age can be determined by a mathematical equation and equals one in 34.6 million. This demonstrates that an older roster is not the key to success.

Where do the 2024 Warriors sit:

D55F7A39-51F1-48B9-97AC-3BA33A08B87D.jpeg

Great squads get players in early so they are veterans young…. But Ali should wait 🧐

It seems a bit backwards, but RTS isn't your average player in terms of getting older.

Not this year but possibly down the line, where RTS moves out to the wing and Ali is ushered in at left centre?

I just honestly only expect Berry to keep growing, so seems hard to fit Ali in somewhere currently.

The random chance of only one squad in 30 years having an average age above the mean age can be determined by a mathematical equation and equals one in 34.6 million. This demonstrates that an older roster is not the key to success.
Please elaborate on this equation?

Disagree. Pompey is a seasoned first grader who is being kept out by two players who are going extremely well. Berry in particular has gone up a couple of gears with the competition. No doubt Ali is the future - but a year or two in reserves against professionals will help his development.

Is he blocked? At the moment, yes. But he is only an injury or two away. The squad this year is stacked and some of those young guys are starters in the 2026 team with a couple of years of development.

Reggie’s have a few challenges in front of them too after being spanked last week.

Let’s be patient and stay the course. He’s got to earn his place and be patient for the opportunity - it will come. Until then, he has a job to do in Cup.

A long-standing school of thought has been that veterans provide the mental steel necessary to win a premiership. But is this actually true?

Since the salary cap was introduced in 1990, only one squad has won with a squad above the competitions mean average age (Cronulla Sharks of 2016)

Where do the 2024 Warriors sit:

View attachment 6376

Great squads get players in early so they are veterans young…. But Ali should wait 🧐
Meh. You are ready when you are ready. NZ does not have the league systems that Australia have, but we do have the nursery. As the Warriors' systems improve, we will have the luxury of a younger squad. At the moment experience is a necessity. There are benefits and drawbacks to that.

The Panthers, Broncos, Cows have an embarrassment of riches in their nurseries.

Last edited:
It says in my post, only 1 team in 30 years has won’t the NRL with a squad whose average age is over the NRL’s average age.

It’s a young man’s game over a long season.
What's the math behind 1 in 34 million though? My overly simplistic view would be it's 1/30? Not a Maths major though.

Reactions: j_p
Disagree. Pompey is a seasoned first grader who is being kept out by two players who are going extremely well. Berry in particular has gone up a couple of gears with the competition. No doubt Ali is the future - but a year or two in reserves against professionals will help his development.

Is he blocked? At the moment, yes. But he is only an injury or two away. The squad this year is stacked and some of those young guys are starters in the 2026 team with a couple of years of development.

Reggie’s have a few challenges in front of them too after being spanked last week.

Let’s be patient and stay the course. He’s got to earn his place and be patient for the opportunity - it will come. Until then, he has a job to do in Cup.
Agree RTS, Berry and Pompey are probably all more experienced. So it’s a failure to plan in signing RTS and Pompey.

The average player age in the NRL is 24. If he waits another couple of years for regular game time he’s going to be just starting out when other players are at their peak.

That’s not superstar material. If he is genuinely a future superstar, we’re wasting his NRL development years and his career is being mismanaging.

What’s best for the Warriors clashes with what’s best for Ali.

Berry's not as locked in as people think. Dude's had like four decent games out of like 20+. Hope he turns out as well as it's looking but it's far from a lock. Timoko was far, far better and showed what a true gun is. We can hope Berry gets anywhere close.

Plenty of space for someone to force their way in if they can reach Timoko's level.

Berry's not as locked in as people think. Dude's had like four decent games out of like 20+. Hope he turns out as well as it's looking but it's far from a lock. Timoko was far, far better and showed what a true gun is. We can hope Berry gets anywhere close.

Plenty of space for someone to force their way in if they can reach Timoko's level.
Timoko’s top 4 centres in the game.
Of course he’s better. But Our mix of centres is up there with the best in the comp. We’ve got 2 young guns in Berry and Ali, 1 reliable solid centre in Pompey than we have Rog.

Ali has a huge amount of potential, but his body position is too high and he has some work ons in defence. Just as a comparison Rocco Berry couldn’t get a start until nearly half way through the season last year.

I’m happy for him to wait his time until he’s a bit more well rounded, we want him to be a guy who has 7-8 years at the top rather than a guy who has a few good games then gets worked out ie Hurrell, Kata Lolohea.

With a winning team we have that luxury, may as well use it for what it’s worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back