General Words, Who Likes Reading Them And What Are You Reading?

HD

HD

Never been a big reader, the little I used to read was factual and I didn't have much time for non-fiction. Why read what I can download and watch for free?

Started jumping into books proper the other year and got myself a little bookshelf which is growing every month.

Last month I read 'Sandstorm', the first in the Sigma Force series by James Rollins. If the other books are half as good it's going to be a kick-ass series. A very easy read. Museum is destroyed, DARPA investigates and a motley crew of agents and archeologists journey to the deserts of Arabia to get to the bottom of it. Throw in a bit of magic, science, deceit, plenty of action and you have yourself a good read. I'm surprised the folks at Hollywood haven't turned it into a movie.

Yesterday I finished reading one of the favourite fiction books I've read to date, Game of Thrones. Part of George R.R. Martins A Song of Ice and Fire epic fantasy series. I haven't seen the HBO show, I'm making myself read the books first. Game of Thrones is a fucking stand-out. I loved the POV format that was used. Each chapter focuses on an individual; it really lends itself to character development and you get to know a lot about the characters. The characters are likeable, even some of the baddies have endearing traits, and some you're not sure if they're bad at all.

One of the best - and worst - aspects of the book is that the format encourages suspense, and George R.R. Martin doesn't half make the most of it. At the end of every chapter you'll be itching to fly straight into the next... When you've read the next you'll be no more satisfied and no doubt start another. For a book of its size I flew through it, which says plenty because I'm a sllllooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww reader.

Seasons can span a life time in Martins fantasy world and after a hefty summer "Winter is Coming", finally, and it's bringing with it bucket loads of conflict and plenty of wild, mystical shit. The primary conflict is between the House Stark(North) and the House Lannister(West), although there are many more houses and their allegiances are somewhat fluid throughout the book. In the background are the two remaining Targaryens, they live in exile in the East with the Dothraki, a group of nomadic warriors. They too have aspirations of ruling the Seven Kingdoms.

The book borrows from the War of the Roses in a lot of respects. It's less fantasy than most fantasy books. Sure there's dragons, giant wolves, a bit of magic and lots of other shit that goes bump in the night, but with or without them it's just a stellar story and should be enjoyable even if fantasy isn't up your street.

The book has a fair amount of rape, incest and violence. I wouldn't recommend you buy it for your young sons or daughters. Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter it is not.

The only criticism I have is that I found the first 80-120 pages to be a little mind boggling. I struggled, for a while. The detail in the book is thorough, and there's so much going on that it can be a little intimidating to start with. The author doesn't ease into it in any real sense, it's just an out and out assault of new names, places and histories. The book has more houses than most books have characters; and within each house there's character after character after character after character. Outside of the houses there's other groups and characters too, like the "wildlings", the Night's Watch, Dothraki, etc.

In saying that, the book is a long one at nearly 800 pages. Any initial confusion or struggle with the characters is soon forgiven, as you'll have a good 700 pages of easy reading after it.

I can't wait to get started on the second book. Like with each chapter, when I finished the book I was left wanting more.

So what are you guys reading and do you have any of your own recommendations?

Reactions: 1 user

Matt13-1

Considered buying and reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series because I love Game of Thrones and have heard nothing but good things about the books. The box sets that pop up on sale on MightyApe make it even more tempting, but I just think it would take me too long to get through them all. I'm not much of a reader anyway, haven't read a novel since year 12, although I have read The Walking Dead comics, which are much better than the TV series. That technically counts as a book :)

HD

HD

Considered buying and reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series because I love Game of Thrones and have heard nothing but good things about the books. The box sets that pop up on sale on MightyApe make it even more tempting, but I just think it would take me too long to get through them all. I'm not much of a reader anyway, haven't read a novel since year 12, although I have read The Walking Dead comics, which are much better than the TV series. That technically counts as a book :)

You could always buy the first book second hand, or pick it up from a library, then see what you think.

No word of a lie, I'm a genuinely slow reader. Laziness is the problem. I enjoy reading but find excuses not to do it. Too busy, too tired, rather watch tv or play on the xbox. But I flew through the 900 pages in 2 weeks, which is real, real fast for me.

Everything was new though, might be a bit different if you've seen the show and have an idea what's happening. That's why I'm avoiding the show for now!

HD

HD

By the way I don't expect anyone to post any long reviews of any books they've read. I just type too much out of habit of writing for a job. I'm a book noob by most standards. So even if your review is brief it's appreciated.

Found some stellar music from heeding your guys advice, sure the same will be true of books.

Sup42

Sup42

I saw the Movie Jaws as a kid. Freaked me out , makes my kids laugh at the ' fake shark ' now.

Happened upon the Novel at home one day when I was a teen. The TV had been Sold after the Old man lost his Job when Westfield Freezing Works Closed.

With no other fitful entertainment in the House I was Forced to read a book. Worse still this was about a Movie.

Peter Benchleys Description of the ocean and Sunset and the Shark etc was so well written I was in awe that a book about an over grown fish could have any impact after a Movie.....plus the Book had a Sex Scene in it.........Chief Brodies all American Wholesome wife......in the book she cheats with the character Richard Dryfus plays !

Had my God fearing parents known they would have banned Jaws from the house.

I began to realise that some movies were made after the books and heck the books are way more better' er lol

Literacy saved my life ...not literally

I like a wide range of non fiction.

Cult favorite Authors would include Stephen King , Michael Creighton ( read Time Line if you haven't read that guy ) and the subject matter Dan Brown used in the Davinci Code.

Reactions: 1 users
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

The Life of Pi was a good book.

I hear that it's a movie these days?

Sup42

Sup42

Took my kids to the life of Pi. You have too see it in 3d its visually ground breaking , never read the book but plan to (after the superficial medium of film peaked interest in the bigger ideas in the whole tale )

Buck777

Read books all my life but in the last couple of years I've got busier and busier so my reading has got down to pretty much the latest Grisham at Christmas. I think I've read and reread LOTR many times.
Social media has killed it off for me though I have just ventured into iBooks and like it

Miket12

Miket12

HD, if you like things like the LOTR, I'd suggest you look at a trilogy by Stephen Lawhead, "In the hall of the DragonKing". Be warned though, the author is a Christian, and like CS Lewis (author of the Narnia books) and Toilken, the books are written as a Christian allegory.

Reactions: 2 users
fanrrior

fanrrior

I hear the Hunger Games book series is way better than the movie if you're into that sort of stuff.

Sup42

Sup42

HD, if you like things like the LOTR, I'd suggest you look at a trilogy by Stephen Lawhead, "In the hall of the DragonKing". Be warned though, the author is a Christian, and like CS Lewis (author of the Narnia books) and Toilken, the books are written as a Christian allegory.
Are you saying that Aslan was not really a Lion ? Turkish delight is as good as thirty pieces of Silver ?

Spoiler :p

Guess what......Neo is the chosen one and when he meets the Architect of the Matrix.....it was discussed with some vigor at many a Masonic lodge meeting from thames to Invercargill to the Lodge in Kilwinning Scotland......I assure you.

HD

HD

The Life of Pi was a good book.

I hear that it's a movie these days?

My sister brought that round at christmas, was hoping she'd forget it but she didn't. Everyone I know who's seen the movie reckons its good. Cloud Atlas is another rated book which was turned into a well rated movie last year. Haven't read or watched that either.

I hear the Hunger Games book series is way better than the movie if you're into that sort of stuff.

I read the first one last year just because I didn't have much else on hand to read. I finished it. Not the greatest book though. Not too bad either. Pretty average but a little better than I expected considering it's a "young adults" book. Didn't motivate me to read the rest though.

Not too bothered about that. Will add it to my ever growing list of recommendations, Christian allegory or not. I have The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran on order as we speak so the odd bit of theism doesn't matter all that much, although generally it leaves a sickly feeling in my throat ;)

Spence

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
I just read my first Dawkins book (Blind Watchmaker), probably the most interesting book I've read. He's got a way with words.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Cult favorite Authors would include Stephen King , Michael Creighton ( read Time Line if you haven't read that guy ) and the subject matter Dan Brown used in the Davinci Code

I love reading. Prolific reader most times. I'll read anything from books to newspapaers to the back of cereal boxes. Was lucky enough to have a teacher at intermediate who made it compulsory to read books. Started off with the Hardy Boys and The Three Investigators to John Christophers Tripod Trilogy and Tolkeins Rings Trilogy. Im forever thankful as I grew up in a house with no books whatsoever bar a bible and probably would never have discovered the joy of reading if it werent for that teacher. Brother Anthony from Sacred Heart Intermediate, I thank you.

I swore myself off Stephen King after spending a whole afternoon and evening reading Pet Sematary cover to cover then spending the next following few nights having deliriously terrifying nightmares! God they were awful. He sure can write that guy.

Very rarely read fiction these days. 99% of books I read now are non-fiction. My favourite author would be Bill Bryson. Ive read his book 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything' at least 10 times and never tire of it. I truly recommend it if your consider yourself somewhat of a polymathic person or would like to pretend to be one. You will learn something on literally every page and the author has a way of being informative but in a really witty and engaging way.

If anyone has any non-fiction recommendations then Id be grateful...

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Took my kids to the life of Pi. You have too see it in 3d its visually ground breaking , never read the book but plan to (after the superficial medium of film peaked interest in the bigger ideas in the whole tale )
Took my family to Life of Pi in 3D too. I loved the movie but thought it was a waste of money to pay for the 3D effects (most of the effects would have been stunning without the 3D glasses). I thought the movie was good enough without it and I was too engrossed by the movie to notice most of the effects, anyway. My nine year old daughter thought it was OK until I explained the whole insurance company bit to her. Then she thought it was great. She talked about it for hours after, which is no mean feat for a kid of few words.

I'm really not a reader. I haven't ventured far past the usual LOTR, Hobbit, (read them long before PJ got hold of them) and Stephen King. I have read all of King's work except for the Dark Towers series (which I will get around to one day). I am an incredibly slow reader. It literally takes me months to get through one of his books. Considering he himself says that you have to grab a reader on the first page, he tends to write books that are very difficult and slow to get into, but once I get to about half way, I usually knock them out in a week or two. I have always made sure to read his book before seeing any of the many movie adaptations. General rule of thumb, a book will ALWAYS be better than the movie, but so many of his movies have been very low-budget and had really bad screenplays, and have ended up being laughable rather than terrifying.

I am currently stuck in the middle of "11/22/63". I have put it down and left it so many times but I will get serious soon and finish it. I have enjoyed what I have read of it, but I can't read when there is something good on TV (or something not too mind-numbing) and tend to fall asleep within minutes of opening a book in bed.

Rizzah

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Fuckit.. i jsut wrote a review.. and accidentally closed the page down.. haha
Onto the 4th book in the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series. see HD's review at the top.
Outstanding series. Not too 'fantasy'.

On the todo list: World War Z (before the movie comes out)

Sup42

Sup42

Took my family to Life of Pi in 3D too. I loved the movie but thought it was a waste of money to pay for the 3D effects (most of the effects would have been stunning without the 3D glasses). I thought the movie was good enough without it and I was too engrossed by the movie to notice most of the effects, anyway. My nine year old daughter thought it was OK until I explained the whole insurance company bit to her. Then she thought it was great. She talked about it for hours after, which is no mean feat for a kid of few words.
My girl is the same age , again we had that discussion after the film....filling in the gaps about the insurance outcome ( quite remarkable and worth every cent to give the kids that kind of mental exercise and to get families talking ).

I thought it was brave / stylish of the film maker to not dumb all that stuff down the way the yanks often do....spelling it out etc....." Oh so they did X because of Y "

gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
I like to read, but find i have to portion off time to do it, or other things don’t get done.

I also started with the hardy boys, and even the odd Nancy drew. Did the usual hobbit etc and read most things but due to starting so young made a bad habit of skipping (well reading but ignoring) things that i didn’t understand and just using my imagination to fill in the gaps, so sometimes my recollection of books details is not the same as others. It also made reading non fiction very hard as i would skip bits i didn’t understand and come tests or practical assessment i would find that although i knew the end result i didn’t always understand the process to get there.

But anyway books. I have about 800 in boxes, i just cant throw em away after reading, but this started when i was still reading Hardie Boys, although i lent that collection to a work colleague for his boy and never got them back. Books in my opinion are amazing things and i love serials and collections, but not short stories. I need time to work into who and what a character is. However sometimes this can be taken to extreme and is to be avoided. E.g., L RON Hubbard - Battlefield Earth. Brilliant Book (movie not even close). However he then wrote a 10 Book series just to write a 10 book series called the mission earth series (don’t even start it). Course then he went on to found Scientology and stopped paying taxes, so all in all i guess he won as a writer.

I like all genres, but favour sci fiction, fantasy and modern occult books. I know there are a lot of snobs out there that think these can be childish and simplistic but find anything "real life" boring and mundane. Not much in to drug culture, horror or gang lifestyle books, but do enjoy the odd police/detective novel, wish i had the patience to read history books as they fascinate me but find my self more interested in what the people would have been doing at the time than what a city looked like.

So some great reads

Battelfield Earth by L Ron Hubbard
River God by Wilbur Smith
Tactics of Mistake by Gordon R DIckson
Poison Study by Maria V Snyder
The True Game by Sheri S Tepper
Hovercar Racer by Mathew Reilly (although i have been told by others that they found it to much like reading an action movie due to its incredible pace, or maybe that was the Scarecrow series which is equally as good imo.
Grunts by Mary Gentle
i've kida tried to pick a selection of books i enjoyed can remember and probably arent to comanly known

Rsz grunts 01 8259
"Pass me another elf Sergeant, this one's split!"

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

I am hanging out for the SBW autobiography, "when I realised I was a cu**".

Reactions: 3 users