General Wooden Spoon

Jordan G

I don't blame Kearney for this year at all, but I'm also not convinced that he is the answer to the problem.

I do think it would do more harm than good if we were to sack him though, especially when he hasn't had the chance to make the squad his own. If I were a potential coach I wouldn't touch the place in those circumstances.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
I wouldnt get rid of maumalo right away. i would give him a crack at 2nd row, you know, the position he plays.

Ok I'll buy that.

Maybe convert him to a prop (beef him up in the off season) because hes not really 2nd row material.

Impact player off the bench. Bring the energy.

That'll work but i dont he'll go for it.

Too comfortable on the wing that guy.

Ranger

1st Grade Fringe
May 23, 2012
I don' think we're the worst team in the league, just feels like it when you've lost a bunch on the trot
We've made 2nd fewest errors, 3rd fewest missed tackles, 4th fewest penalties conceded for all teams this season

Reactions: bruce

Sledge

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 10, 2016
Warriors' late season horrors: The return
DAVID LONG - 14:03, August 14 2017

It's hard to watch isn't it: Mafoaaeata Hingano covers his eyes after the Warriors lost to the Raiders at Mt Smart. - RENEE MCKAY/ PHOTOSPORT
Advertisement
When it comes to the end of a season, the Warriors are heading down a well trodden path.

The 36-16 defeat to the Raiders at Mt Smart Stadium on Sunday was yet another defeat the club have suffered at the back end of the year, with the statistics making horrific reading.

They've lost their last six games this season, they lost their final four fixtures last year, finished with eight defeats in a row in 2015, lost three out of their last four in 2014, four out of their last six in 2013 and lost eight on the bounce to finish 2012.

PHOTOSPORT

Jacob Lillyman says the Warriors will keep fighting but admits confidence is low.
Plenty has been made about how the Warriors are slow starters each season, but when it comes to the end of campaigns they're even worse
With away games against the Rabbitohs and West Tigers to come, with a home fixture against the Sea Eagles sandwiched in between, the Warriors won't go in as favourites in any of their remaining games.

It doesn't matter if they're hunting for a top eight spot, or already out of contention they've been flat at the end of seasons.

So the only thing left to play for this season is to attempt to break that cycle, but how do they do that?

"We've got to keep turning up, preparing as best we can and we've got to believe," Warriors veteran prop Jacob Lillyman said.

"We're still hoping we can finish the season on a high and we're not dropping our heads too much.

"We've got a short turnaround this week (before playing the Rabbitohs on Friday) and we'll look to get over to Sydney and bounce back.

"But there are certainly areas of this (loss to the Raiders) that we'll look back at and review, but we are a team down on confidence."

On Sunday there were some good patches from the Warriors, but they didn't get enough points during those periods and when they made errors the Raiders capitalised.

Aside from a try by 18-year-old Isaiah Papali'i, there was nothing pleasing about the last 20 minutes of the game from a Warriors point of view.

"Obviously, we've got a lot of young guys in there, but they are showing a lot of fight," Lillyman said.

"It's just coming up with some execution of your role.

"Being down on confidence is really hard, especially when you've got new players in key positions and we're a bit out of sync.

"It's a tough one, because there was effort there, but there were still areas where doing your job at certain times, we were found lacking and that was the disappointing part."

Warriors captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck though admits that there were players in the Raiders game that were struggling to get themselves up after conceding tries.

"It's the same each week," Tuivasa-Sheck said.

"There are always a few players who are real down and then there are another few who are like 'let's move on boys and get ready for the next one.'

"The tough part is trying to get the whole 13 on the field to wipe it off and be ready to go again, but at the moment we're carrying that struggle around."

Meanwhile, the Warriors are set to be without Ben Matulino for the Rabbitohs game.

The NRL judiciary have hit him with a one-game ban if he takes an early guilty plea to a shoulder charge on Elliott Whitehead in the 67th minute against the Raiders.

Warriors' end of season woes
2017 - on six match losing streak
2016 - lost last four, six of last eight
2015 - lost last eight
2014 - lost three of last four
2013 - lost four of last six
2012 - lost last eight

Stuff

• Haha
Reactions: BeastMode

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Warriors' late season horrors: The return
DAVID LONG - 14:03, August 14 2017

It's hard to watch isn't it: Mafoaaeata Hingano covers his eyes after the Warriors lost to the Raiders at Mt Smart. - RENEE MCKAY/ PHOTOSPORT
Advertisement
When it comes to the end of a season, the Warriors are heading down a well trodden path.

The 36-16 defeat to the Raiders at Mt Smart Stadium on Sunday was yet another defeat the club have suffered at the back end of the year, with the statistics making horrific reading.

They've lost their last six games this season, they lost their final four fixtures last year, finished with eight defeats in a row in 2015, lost three out of their last four in 2014, four out of their last six in 2013 and lost eight on the bounce to finish 2012.

PHOTOSPORT

Jacob Lillyman says the Warriors will keep fighting but admits confidence is low.
Plenty has been made about how the Warriors are slow starters each season, but when it comes to the end of campaigns they're even worse
With away games against the Rabbitohs and West Tigers to come, with a home fixture against the Sea Eagles sandwiched in between, the Warriors won't go in as favourites in any of their remaining games.

It doesn't matter if they're hunting for a top eight spot, or already out of contention they've been flat at the end of seasons.

So the only thing left to play for this season is to attempt to break that cycle, but how do they do that?

"We've got to keep turning up, preparing as best we can and we've got to believe," Warriors veteran prop Jacob Lillyman said.

"We're still hoping we can finish the season on a high and we're not dropping our heads too much.

"We've got a short turnaround this week (before playing the Rabbitohs on Friday) and we'll look to get over to Sydney and bounce back.

"But there are certainly areas of this (loss to the Raiders) that we'll look back at and review, but we are a team down on confidence."

On Sunday there were some good patches from the Warriors, but they didn't get enough points during those periods and when they made errors the Raiders capitalised.

Aside from a try by 18-year-old Isaiah Papali'i, there was nothing pleasing about the last 20 minutes of the game from a Warriors point of view.

"Obviously, we've got a lot of young guys in there, but they are showing a lot of fight," Lillyman said.

"It's just coming up with some execution of your role.

"Being down on confidence is really hard, especially when you've got new players in key positions and we're a bit out of sync.

"It's a tough one, because there was effort there, but there were still areas where doing your job at certain times, we were found lacking and that was the disappointing part."

Warriors captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck though admits that there were players in the Raiders game that were struggling to get themselves up after conceding tries.

"It's the same each week," Tuivasa-Sheck said.

"There are always a few players who are real down and then there are another few who are like 'let's move on boys and get ready for the next one.'

"The tough part is trying to get the whole 13 on the field to wipe it off and be ready to go again, but at the moment we're carrying that struggle around."

Meanwhile, the Warriors are set to be without Ben Matulino for the Rabbitohs game.

The NRL judiciary have hit him with a one-game ban if he takes an early guilty plea to a shoulder charge on Elliott Whitehead in the 67th minute against the Raiders.

Warriors' end of season woes
2017 - on six match losing streak
2016 - lost last four, six of last eight
2015 - lost last eight
2014 - lost three of last four
2013 - lost four of last six
2012 - lost last eight

Stuff
That's a team on the rise. Fuck me what a fucking shambles. Pricks should be playing Super Rugby not NRL.
Other than the broadcast rights what is the justification for these clowns to be part of the NRL.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Our current squad were rock stars in the under 20s where defence is an option. They haven't got out of the habit.

Which ones?
When i think of our "rock star u20s" I think of packer, mutts, ah mau, lisone, sipley, fai, benry, Taylor, seb, sj, tui, hurrell, laumape, Locke.
Only lisone and sj remain.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Which ones?
When i think of our "rock star u20s" I think of packer, mutts, ah mau, lisone, sipley, fai, benry, Taylor, seb, sj, tui, hurrell, laumape, Locke.
Only lisone and sj remain.
Bunty Afoa, Ken Maumolo, Solomone Kata, David Fusitua are all former under 20s aren't they. By rock star I meant their fame on TV, when in fact they were of a much lower standard than the reserve grade, who I don't recall getting as much air time. The bottom line is they cannot defend, only Roache of the newbies seems to be improving on that.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Bunty Afoa, Ken Maumolo, Solomone Kata, David Fusitua are all former under 20s aren't they. By rock star I meant their fame on TV, when in fact they were of a much lower standard than the reserve grade, who I don't recall getting as much air time. The bottom line is they cannot defend, only Roache of the newbies seems to be improving on that.

Right, gotcha.
You're talking about the left overs (aka the ones we choose to keep) not the stars- well that's totally different-

afoa was a prop in 20s but sk plays him on an edge. Maumalo a 2nd rower come center- sk got him on the wing. Katas defence was excellent last year- it's been terrible under Kearney. Fusitua is going alright but he's a rare talent- could've put him in with the"rockstars" tbh.

Now as for your bottom line- they cannot defend. Hard to argue with that.
So let me ask you why is that?
Are we not keeping the right ones?
Are we playing them out of position?
Is the coaching they're receiving letting them down?
Or are us kiwis just to stupid to learn defensive patterns?

Because from where I'm sitting it's the club that have let these young players down and not the other way around.

Reactions: Tragic

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings