Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
What do you guys think about Curran moving on?

I find that a very strange decision if it's the Warriors that made it.. He was a mixed bag this year form wise but I think he's a gun player and suits the style the Warriors like to play. I think he's a player worth holding onto.

I think Curran might have a higher ceiling than Ford! But perhaps now he's showed enough to get a higher paying spot.

Agent prob has had a look around and inquired. If this is out he could be leaving is say he has a spot to head to already.

I thought his mins were down to injuries? He's a footballer he needs to just be out there playing. As shown in his year he knocked on the door briefly for blues Duty.

There were 2 plays this year that defined our clubs direction. Curran v Sharks, Pompey v Broncos.
There's one player I'm allowing to talk to other clubs.
To be fair to Pompey he did have a great game the week before and while he's possibly not going to be in the starting 17 next season I'm glad to still have him in the top 30. There were plenty who struggled that night of the Broncos game. Agree about Curran though.

There were 2 plays this year that defined our clubs direction. Curran v Sharks, Pompey v Broncos.
There's one player I'm allowing to talk to other clubs.

If I had a dollar for every time an Aussie back rower charged down a kick made a clutch af play at Shark Park to set SJ up to take us to an amazing win.. I’d only have $2 but it is pretty crazy that it happened twice lol

Last edited:
IMG_0417.jpeg

The Curran thing I can see both sides and it's not an uncommon scenario

The Waqa Blake thing though - in the words of Gus Gould "No, no, no, no, no!"

Honestly, with our outside back depth this just makes no sense at all on any level.

I'm thinking they have an offer from Cowboys below the level they want and they are using the old "Warriors are keen" bargaining trick.

If Blake came here it would have to be on the most minimum contract allowed and he would be behind:
  • RTS
  • Berry
  • Montoya
  • Kosi
  • Pompey
  • Ali

This was only a few weeks ago so something must have changed. If there’s any truth to giving Blake a lifeline all I can think of is they want an experienced centre in the squad after reading there was a role for Williame in 2024 before his retirement. That’s the only thing that’s happened recently that could make it plausible. Doesn’t fit Webster’s type though with such a poor tackling efficiency, fast though.

Regardless of the reason for letting Curran go, he’s a popular asset as evident by 2 clubs already inquiring, hope McFadden is smart and plans to use him as a trade or offload the salary cap along with Williame and Siro’s for at the very least an experienced proper or impact prop

Curran let go and Williame retiring in the space of days before Nov 1, coinciditis?

AFB
Egan
Prop
Ford
Marata
Tohu

Bench
Tmm/Metcalf/CHT
Walker
Jazz
Barnett

Reserves
Ale+1 of the juniors+Bunty

Would be such a dumb move to let go 3 players and not recruit anyone for the area you got beaten up by the finalists

Another reason to keep Curran is so the other Aussie boys at the club have a fellow countryman over here with them and don’t wanna leave. I notice the Aussies in the team always around each other.

Bench
Tmm/Metcalf/CHT
Walker
Jazz
Barnett

Reserves
Ale+1 of the juniors+Bunty
The more I look at our bench options the more I think Jazz and Bunty don’t fit.

That same bench with a big junior forward instead of Jazz balances size, skill set, positional cover and provides development.

14 Walker (game changer - Jazz backup)
15 Barnett (prop/ 2nd row cover - Ale, Bunty backup)
16 Reserved for forward development (Sifakula, Laban, Zyon Maiu’u, etc approx 8 games each)
17 CHT (backup TMM, Metcalf or Lussick) partner Walker as mobile game changers and back injury cover.

Assume injury will give lots of opportunities for depth players.

Back