General Witt to Super league

grumpsta_old

Guest
Michael Witt insists his journey to the rebranded London Broncos couldn't have gone any better as he targets a second straight Super League win at Wigan on Sunday.

Witt made the switch to the European Super League for 2010 after spells at the Warriors, Manly and Parramatta in the NRL and a brief cross-code move to rugby union with Otago.

However, the 28-year-old five-eighth was left fearing for his future last year after it was announced Welsh club Crusaders had withdrawn their application for a licence.

Witt subsequently joined the Broncos, formerly Harlequins, having weighed up global options and last weekend starred in their first win of the season -- 42-16 over Castleford.

The Broncos now travel to Wigan, still smarting from their surprise loss to Widnes, the Crusaders' replacement in the Super League, and Witt said he couldn't be happier in London.

"There were a few scary days (after the Crusaders announcement) and it was a big shock to us at the time," said Witt.

"But I believe it has worked for the best and I am in a great place here in London.

"Once the Crusaders folded I was talking with a few places and decided London Broncos was for me. There are plenty of guys I knew before joining and I put in a few calls to them before coming.

"There were a few other opportunities around the world but I was happy with the Super League and we knew it would take a little while to get the Broncos squad and the coaching staff together.

"We knew it would happen though and it was good that it happened at the weekend. Wigan is going to be a very big game, every time you play Wigan it is a tough afternoon."

Meanwhile Castleford, who have lost their past five matches, have welcomed back coach Ian Millward ahead of their trip to leaders Huddersfield on Friday.

The Tigers have been without the former North Queensland and Canberra assistant for three weeks after the sudden death of his 19-year-old son Robbie.

"My family and I are still grieving over the tragic loss of Robbie. We all regarded him as a special young man," Millward said in a statement.

"I want to place on record my appreciation to the directors, players, staff and supporters at Castleford Tigers, the RFL and also for the guidance of Steve Ball from the RFL Benevolent Fund."
 

Beeteejay_old

Guest
Talk about a fall from grace for a player since 'that try' in 2008. Struggled to get a start with the Warriors in 2009, failed at Otago rugby, then has been with bottom of the table Super League clubs the past 3 years.
 

Fazz_old

Guest
Yeah, it's a real shame. We were stupid to let him go in 2009 though. We started that year with Witt, Ravs, Fein, Jones and others...yet we ended the year with only one of them =/

Stupid, stupid, stupid.
 

Beeteejay_old

Guest
Yeah, it's a real shame. We were stupid to let him go in 2009 though. We started that year with Witt, Ravs, Fein, Jones and others...yet we ended the year with only one of them =/

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I was ok with letting him go. Good goalkicker, but that's about it. If we hadn't let him go, we may well not have signed Maloney. I was more disappointed with Fien going than he. But that's in the past. Onwards and upwards!