General NSW Cup 2023

Bit of "Warriors Ball" at the end there, but no chasers on a Volkman bomb and the Bears run the clock out. 28-24 final score.

Boys did well to bounce back after doing it tough in the first stanza, and with the Bears all over the ruck throughout the game. Tough to do in 30 degree heat.

They're all gutted right now, but young side will be better for it, but they'll be better for it all next year!

Onto the main game!

2024 looks promising with the rise of some players, Ali, Going, etc

While it's still fresh here's some basic stats for the season below.
I loved following the team throughout the year, especially the newcomers. I just wish there was more media/club updates. I know they're semi pro's but surely the club can provide a bit more attention to the side instead of just a team list once a week?

Questions I'd love answered are:
1. Was Zyon Maiu’u, Gavet or Laban suspended at some stages after going on report then being absent the following week/s?
2. Did Gavet get dropped at some point or was it better financially for him to play Fox Memorial before he returned for the NSW Cup playoffs?
3. Did Halasima get injured at the back end of the year?
4. Were Going, Roache & anyone else on Train & Trial contracts throughout the whole season?
Screenshot_20230919-190224_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
the average age of that side is teenager
Are they the ones without n age against their name. The other seem way past teenagers.
Was Zyon Maiu’u, Gavet or Laban suspended at some stages after going on report then being absent the following week/s?
Immediate sacking surely?
Did Gavet get dropped at some point or was it better financially for him to play Fox Memorial before he returned for the NSW Cup playoffs?
heyzeuss, more money in Fox than in the NSW Cup?

I forgot about Fukofuka. He disappeared as the season got moving. Some pretty experienced players in his way though.

I hadn't realised Curran was still so young. He was on a bit of a hiding to nothing when he first got here (as one of the forum's favourite whipping boys at the time).

I forgot about Fukofuka. He disappeared as the season got moving. Some pretty experienced players in his way though.

I hadn't realised Curran was still so young. He was on a bit of a hiding to nothing when he first got here (as one of the forum's favourite whipping boys at the time).
They gave a number of other hookers the same age a run, with games to Jacod David Jr Auloa and Makaia Taufa. So probably scoping out which young hooker they want to invest in.

Ieremia and Moimoi with 4 and 5 games each. Ieremia is an under the radar prospect.

I don't know why he was a whipping boy.

He was in the nsw cup team of the year. Captained something I think can't really remember.

I believe he made a Aborigine All stars that year with out having played a FG game too.

I don't know why he was a whipping boy.

He was in the nsw cup team of the year. Captained something I think can't really remember.

I believe he made a Aborigine All stars that year with out having played a FG game too.
When he arrived here in 2019 I remember him coming on and making a few mistakes like dropped balls, missed tackles or giving away penalties. He was also trying to put on some big shots which was a bit refreshing as we seemed pretty timid. That first impression may have turned a few posters off him.

He started 2020 with the All-Stars game. I was keen to watch him and Jamayne Taunoa-Brown. Curran got a try off a nice run playing down the left.

My recollection of why he may have fallen out of favour both with the coaching staff and one here was he was overweight in 2020. He'd come on and would also make a lot of mistakes. It's a credit to him that he improved his fitness and turned his form around.

He never made NSW Cup Team of the Year but was a NSW junior representative. He made the Indigenous team after his debut NRL season for Roosters/Warriors.
He got sin binned in NSW Cup only days after arriving at the club so I think a few people jumped to the conclusion that he was a liability

Last edited:
Here is a team made up of players who have played NSW Cup this year (just for fun)

1. Tuapiki
2. DWZ
3. Berry
4. Ali Jr
5. Kosi
6. TMM
7. Volkman
8. Bunty
9. Lussick
10. Jazz
11. Curran
12. Sikafula
13. Ale
14. Metcalf
15. Roache
16. Going
17. Williame

18. Vailea

If my memory serves me correctly, they all played 1st grade this year.

While it's still fresh here's some basic stats for the season below.
I loved following the team throughout the year, especially the newcomers. I just wish there was more media/club updates. I know they're semi pro's but surely the club can provide a bit more attention to the side instead of just a team list once a week?

Questions I'd love answered are:
1. Was Zyon Maiu’u, Gavet or Laban suspended at some stages after going on report then being absent the following week/s?
2. Did Gavet get dropped at some point or was it better financially for him to play Fox Memorial before he returned for the NSW Cup playoffs?
3. Did Halasima get injured at the back end of the year?
4. Were Going, Roache & anyone else on Train & Trial contracts throughout the whole season?
View attachment 826
Would love profiles set up for the cup team.

He never made NSW Cup Team of the Year but was a NSW junior representative. He made the Indigenous team after his debut NRL season for Roosters/Warriors.
He got sin binned in NSW Cup only days after arriving at the club so I think a few people jumped to the conclusion that he was a liability
Was he their player of the year? I vaguely thinking how in the he'll did we get him off the Roosters. When he had got a major award. Can't quite remember now what it was.

NSW Cup Team of the Year​

1. Isaiah Iongi (Penrith Panthers)
2. Clayton Faulalo (Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles)
3. Kayal Iro (Newtown Jets)
4. Ali Leiataua (New Zealand Warriors)
5. Fetalaiga Pauga (North Sydney Bears)
6. Jesse Marschke (North Sydney Bears)
7. Dean Hawkins [c] (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
8. Liam Henry (Penrith Panthers)
9. Peter Mamouzelos (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
10. Trey Mooney (Canberra Raiders)
11. Clay Webb (Canberra Raiders)
12. Kalani Going (New Zealand Warriors)
13. Zach Dockay-Clay (North Sydney Bears)

4 NZers Leiataua, Pauga, Going, & ZDC. CI born Iro & 'straya born Maori/Croat Mooney.

Volkman was no chance of making the TOTY after Hawkins won NSW Cup Player of the Year. I assume that award is based on a system similar to Dally M's so statistics aren't the be all & end all but here's the stats comparison with Volkman on the right.
20230923_175135.jpg

It'll be some time before we get a clear idea of who'll be available come Round 1 but at the moment these guys are contracted (outside the 30), or are training with the club.

1. Setu Tu
2. Sio Kali
3. Patrick Moimoi
4. Moala Graham-Taufa
5. Sanele Aukusitino
6. Ben Farr
8. Tanner Stowers-Smith
9. Paul Roache (although TBH I haven't seen him in any preseason pics)
11. Selumiela Halasima
12. Eddie Ieremia-Toeava
13. Kalani Going

14. Etuate Fukofuka
16. Kaylis Fatialofa

18. Luke Hanson
19. Tom Summers
20. Jacob David Jnr Auloa
21. Makaia Tafua

It'll be some time before we get a clear idea of who'll be available come Round 1 but at the moment these guys are contracted (outside the 30), or are training with the club.

1. Setu Tu
2. Sio Kali
3. Patrick Moimoi
4. Moala Graham-Taufa
5. Sanele Aukusitino
6. Ben Farr
8. Tanner Stowers-Smith
11. Selumiela Halasima
12. Eddie Ieremia-Toeava
13. Kalani Going

14. Etuate Fukofuka
16. Kaylis Fatialofa

18. Luke Hanson
19. Tom Summers
21. Makaia Tafua
Surely Volkman at 7 as well with Zyon Maiu’u at 10 and Laban off the bench/in the 13?

1. Setu Tu
2. Sio Kali
3. Patrick Moimoi
4. Moala Graham-Taufa
5. Sanele Aukusitino
6. Ben Farr
8. Tanner Stowers-Smith
11. Selumiela Halasima
12. Eddie Ieremia-Toeava
13. Kalani Going

14. Etuate Fukofuka
16. Kaylis Fatialofa

18. Luke Hanson
19. Tom Summers
21. Makaia Tafua
Tuaupiki Fullback? Vagana bench prop?

Vagana looked solid.

Back