General Will the NRL ever take over the club ?

How close are you to quitting ?

• I'm already out, I come here as a league fan who happens to reside in the same country.

• I am still a true fan

• I am still a true fan but I might not last the season

• I am an NRL Neutral that watches the Warriors with the same interest as any other NRL team

• I am a true fan but I cant handle the stress of watching them play till the result is known

• I hate the Warriors

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Serious question.
If things don't improve....with so many ready to quit the club from the faithful...

Can you see an NRL take over coming to protect their one nation merchandising and TV right profits ?

At what point do the NRL wake up and hit the read button ?

Do you think the NRL even know the ships as bad as it is ?

Given that the NRL are already bailing out other clubs....where do we feature in their list of priorities...

Is it easier for the NRL to cut us loose ? Or are we as a one country club worth saving ?

Do the NRL have to protect expansion to NZ ? Do they have the will and the tools to come up with a NZ based alternative to the warriors?

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Really? What legal, logical or even reasonable justification would the NRL have for taking over the Warriors, LOL

Better question now would be, is this thread a shit stir?
I honestly don't get your question.

Legal has nothing to do with it.

Justification ?

How about empty stands at Mt Smart if this continues ?

How about the Warriors no longer making profits for them....think business model and contingencies when our club has twenty years of pissing people off.

Reactions: koolkat

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Being a franchise competition and the Warriors being 100% privately owned legal has everything to do with it..

What I am saying is that in a given scenario where things are as shit as we see them now....in twelve months time....and Eric walks away....and the NRL are faced with a rescue package scenario.....i.e the only time the NRL take over NRL clubs.

Poll added btw brightman brightman

Reactions: bruce

tajhay

👻
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Where is the option to demolish the club and start over again with new players.

Recruit professional players with ability and heart. The ones who give chase regardless of how far behind they are when a speedster makes a break. The ones that compete to win. The ones that leave come off the field with nothing left in the tank. Regardless of whether they are Kiwi or Aussie.

TBH I'd rather watch the NSW cup team than these so called bunch of first graders. Freaking embarrassing that most of them are representative players.

Supporting this team is exhausting. I don't see how they are going to go from a side befitting wooden spoon contenders to being in the top 8 by season's end.

One thing I have no doubt is that we have the dumbest bunch of players in the comp.

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Auckland
What I am saying is that in a given scenario where things are as shit as we see them now....in twelve months time....and Eric walks away....and the NRL are faced with a rescue package scenario.....i.e the only time the NRL take over NRL clubs.
Why are you pondering a make believe and unlikely scenario? Honestly Sup42 Sup42 I think I might have overestimated the value I put on your input.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Where is the option to demolish the club and start over again with new players.

Recruit professional players with ability and heart. The ones who give chase regardless of how far behind they are when a speedster makes a break. The ones that compete to win. The ones that leave come off the field with nothing left in the tank. Regardless of whether they are Kiwi or Aussie.

TBH I'd rather watch the NSW cup team than these so called bunch of first graders. Freaking embarrassing that most of them are representative players.

Supporting this team is exhausting. I don't see how they are going to go from a side befitting wooden spoon contenders to being in the top 8 by season's end.

One thing I have no doubt is that we have the dumbest bunch of players in the comp.
I tried to add the suggested amendment to the poll nut failed...typical Warrior lol

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Auckland
Last edited:

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
yeah I get that, I expected it.

But can you not see that so many years without a finals appearance could see the death of the club ?

Can you not see that should the Saviors Jim, Stepehen, Foran, Luke, SJ, RTS fail that .....well frankly no one will spend a cent of their hard earned dollar on this lot ?

This year is it man....finals or fken no more Warriors.

Old Sid

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2014
Thinking this one through, any takeover would quickly pose a real dilemma for the NRL.
What would be their pre-game instructions to the whistle-blowers and the bunker for the first 20 mins... call it how you see it, or continue to screw the Warriors until they are beaten to another pulp with rubbish calls...

• Haha
Reactions: brightman

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
We’ve seen this movie before half a dozen times, the crowds still come, not sell outs, but reasonable turn ups. People still buy the jerseys. Its only the on field shittiness that holds them back – seems obvious, but the bigger concern is if you have a WINNING team where no one goes and no one cares.

The warriors were 10th in home attendance last year ahead of the likes of Raiders and Panthers who had great on field results.

Its not a good return for a city of 1.4M with only one team – but its not dire.

https://afltables.com/rl/crowds/2016.html

Only concern is Eric’s tolerance. Suspect this is his version of a public good – I don’t know if he’s the charitable type, but who else in NZ can say they own a prominent sporting entity.

The breakers is not the same scale of business – and the phoenix are even less prominent. For example the NRL salary cap is $7M the A league $2.5M and the NBL around $1M.

The super rugby franchises feature some private ownership but are completely subservient to the NZRU.

If they ever get good you won't be able to turn around for all the bandwagoners and lapsed fans returning.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Can you not see that should the Saviors Jim, Stepehen, Foran, Luke, SJ, RTS fail that .....well frankly no one will spend a cent of their hard earned dollar on this lot ?

This year is it man....finals or fken no more Warriors.

There will be a new set of saviours.

Johnson will still be here, Tohu Harris and some other forward will herald a new emphasis up front. Some guys will go and Kearney will have “stamped his mark on the squad”

The people want to believe so badly that any minor changes will be treated as the miracle to take us over the top.

Only some really gratuitous off field behavior could kill the faith that returns every February. If they get outed pissing up before the game, or bagging the fans via twitter (again) that stuff actually does more damage than run of the mill poor performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: snake77 and Sup42

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2014
Serious question.
If things don't improve....with so many ready to quit the club from the faithful...

Can you see an NRL take over coming to protect their one nation merchandising and TV right profits ?

At what point do the NRL wake up and hit the read button ?

Do you think the NRL even know the ships as bad as it is ?

Given that the NRL are already bailing out other clubs....where do we feature in their list of priorities...

Is it easier for the NRL to cut us loose ? Or are we as a one country club worth saving ?

Do the NRL have to protect expansion to NZ ? Do they have the will and the tools to come up with a NZ based alternative to the warriors?

You want to know what my single greatest biggest fear is concerning this club ? It's Eric Watson deciding to fucking finally sell his majority share of NZ Warriors to either Australian or Overseas interest group and them buying this club and relocating it back to Australia. I've already had dreams of the business consortium that represents North Sydney Bears buying NZ Warriors and rebranding them Vodaphone Bears and then moving them to Central Coast to play all their home games at Blue Tongue Stadium. If that sounds totally far fletch don't forget this is the exact same business consortium that has had since 2013 a five year plan to get back into top grade football, from them trying to work out a deal with the new Melbourne Storm owners to rebrand their club Melbourne Bears and as a reward for doing all that, they will get all their junior development systems north of Sydney, along the Central Coast, to them now in 2017 trying to buy the Gold Coast Titans. If that deal falls through, what would stop them trying to buy NZ Warriors if Eric Watson suddenly decides to sell up ? You think the NRL would ? Or NZRL ? Auckland Rugby League ? They have too much of their own crap to contend with for them to care. That's what scares me and is why as bad as they have been lately, I'm still going to try and enjoy them for how ever long we've got left and I suggest that you should too. Speaking as a former Bears fan, you can never have too much of a good thing ... :(

Last edited:

t-wade23

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 7, 2012
I had an thread couple of months back before the season starting suggesting where the club is heading in the next 5-10 years and still am convinced there is no real direction or anyone in the higher ups has an idea on what direction it wants to go in.

From an playing standpoint you don't see an team that's does anything particularly well to compensate for its weaker parts overall it seems like an team full of guys that don't just fit together you have SJ RTS and Luke yet who can be dominate off quick play the balls but yet you don't have an forward pack that can generate that.

It's painfully obvious this team can't play structured football so whats next play 2nd phase?? Well you don't have anyone that can generate an offload or has it been coached out of them?? Not sure but you can't play this way so what are you left with an team that is lacking an identity or an philosophy on what it should be. Imo that's why you see the confusion you see the miscommunication and the lack what it seems like is football IQ.

Like I've said before in many threads that if this team fails again this surely it's time for an complete rebuild from the ground up you can't keep trying to do the same thing over and over again and expect better results,this time leave the coaching staff and let players go who aren't required or who aren't apart of the team's future. The first and foremost thing is establishing what kind of team you want to be then funnel that through all grades so that there is an shorter adjustment period for when guys do come up to first grade.

This is where Doyle has failed imo he has recruited the stars but the supporting cast and role players he hasn't really brought anyone in to compliment those stars strengths which to me is lack of direction or focus on what kind of team.it wants to be.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
You want to know what my single greatest biggest fear is concerning this club ? It's Eric Watson deciding to fucking finally sell his majority share of NZ Warriors to either Australian or Overseas interest group and them buying this club and relocating it back to Australia. I've already had dreams of the business consortium that represents North Sydney Bears buying NZ Warriors and rebranding them Vodaphone Bears and then moving them to Central Coast to play all their home games at Blue Tongue Stadium. If that sounds totally far fletch don't forget this is the exact same business consortium that has had since 2013 a five year plan to get back into top grade football, from them trying to work out a deal with the new Melbourne Storm owners to rebrand their club Melbourne Bears and as a reward for doing all that, they will get all their junior development systems north of Sydney, along the Central Coast, to them now in 2017 trying to buy the Gold Coast Titans. If that deal falls through, what would stop them trying to buy NZ Warriors if Eric Watson suddenly decides to sell up ? You think the NRL would ? Or NZRL ? Auckland Rugby League ? They have too much of their own crap to contend with for them to care. That's what scares me and is why as bad as they have been lately, I'm still going to try and enjoy them for how ever long we've got left and I suggest that you should too. Speaking as a former Bears fan, you can never have too much of a good thing ... :(
Yeah I'm a bears fan too by virtue of Graham Friend etc....we lost our club....I'm not nailing the Warrior coffin....but Jim's comments...if he goes....our life span is finite.
Our bad run....begs the question....how close are we too collapse ?

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I can't see the NRL relocating or removing the club from the competition. Just doesn't make sense from a financial approach.

Yeah its hard to see a country of 4.5M and a city of 1.5M traded in for another NSW based club.

Not like league is the most popular sport, but the warrior brand is well established. As a bunch of fickle losers, but its still widely established!

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings