General Wildcard weekend....

Would you like to see the Wildcard Weekend go ahead?

• Total voters

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
Wildcard round: NRL set for massive top-eight finals shake-up
Under a new proposal, the NRL is set for a massive top eight finals shake-up in 2020 with the introduction of a wildcard round to be played between four teams.
  • March 4, 2019 8:36pm
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
Mar 15 2019
8:00PM
The NRL finals race is set for a shake-up in 2020.
The NRL finals race is set for a shake-up in 2020.Source: AAP
In what will make the race to the finals even more exciting, the proposal is that teams that finish seventh to 10th on the NRL ladder will compete against each other for the final two spots in the top eight.
The teams that finish first to sixth will earn a week off.
Every game of every round of the NRL LIVE with no ad-breaks during play. Get it all on Foxtel.
How the Wildcard Weekend would've worked based on last year's ladder.
How the Wildcard Weekend would've worked based on last year's ladder.Source: FOX SPORTS
If the change had been implemented last season, the Wests Tigers and Canberra would’ve had the chance to break into the finals despite six and 10 points behind the Warriors who finished in eighth.
The fourth team that would’ve made up the wildcard round would’ve been St George Illawarra who finished in seventh.
Eighth will play ninth, while seventh will play 10th for spots in the elimination finals.

Reactions: Johnnyray

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Under this system, if you finished in seventh spot, you would need to win five finals games over five successive weekends in order to win the Grand Final. But the first placed team would only have to win three games plus have a couple of weekends off over the same five week period.

Last season, we finished on 32 points (only two points below minor premiers, the Roosters) yet the Raiders who finished on 22 points would be playing finals footy.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
It would suit us most years as we usually only just miss out on the finals. We would be the team most likely team to cause it getting ditched by coming 10th and going through to win a Grand Final. That would be a typically Warriors thing to do, drive the Aussie nuts.

In a 16 team competition it's bad enough with a top 8. Half the teams make the finals. We already get journalists who point out about not making the finals when its 8 out of 16. Imagine 10 out of 16.

If the competition is close like most years than it wouldn't be as bad. But last year the top 8 were quite far above the rest.

Vancent

It is what it is...
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
Somebody beat me to it - works with 20 teams, not with any less.

Like the fact they’re toying with formats and ideas though - gotta keep evolving!

Reactions: Worried2Death

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016
Really don't like the idea.

The current top 8 system works perfectly fine as is. This is just pandering to the wants of the television networks, to the detriment of the competition.

If they want less "meaningless" games at the back end of the regular season, make the season shorter.

A 20 team comp where you play each team once over 19 rounds would be ideal.

Reactions: bruce and Johnnyray

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
In 9news they sold it as having the lower teams left with something to play for.
Heard a stat today along the lines of on average 6 of the top 8 after 10 rounds will stay there for the remainder of the comp, essentially 10 teams are playing for 2 spots the majority of the comp

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2014
Yeah it's bullshit idea simply because in my opinion you're not going to solve problem of meaningless games in regular season of NRL by introducing more meaningless games into finals system of NRL. Because let's be honest until semi finals are on, the whole thing really isn't that important and only matters to fans of certain clubs that season who have manage to be playing this time around. So I'm sorry but no. You are not going fix anything doing exact same things as you did before and that all NRL proposing to do here, only they are adding to problems with this solution not subtracting.

In my opinion what NRL should do is get back to top five finals system like we had as kids, a top five finals system that acts like semi final, only this time team that actually wins minor premiership automatically earns themselves a place in grand final with remaining four teams being forced to play for covered second spot at grand final. Myself, if I was Todd Greenburg that's what I do. That and incorporate cheerleaders into my office work space because what point of running large international sporting body like NRL and not have cheerleaders at your desk ...

Last edited:

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
I'd keep this idea on hold until there was at least 18 teams in the NRL.

And it'll be a cold, snowy day in Hell before that happens, methinks....

Reactions: FinsUp93

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
If the 6 of the top 8 from round 10 are still there by round 26 it emphasizes the need to be consistent from the start. Something the Warriors have often been guilty of and the club trying to fix their poor starts is a good move.

The aim is to have more games towards the end of the season with something on the line. Besides 15 playing 16 there are usually a lot of games with teams trying to get the bottom positions of the 8. 1 play 16 and 2 playing 15 has implications for the minor premiership. We hear enough about teams mathematical chances of making the 8.

Instead of taking a new finals format to broadcasters when negotiating a new deal surely a new team or two would be better with more games and coverage across more time zones if Perth for example is included.

Reactions: DANZ

Warrior482

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 12, 2012
Maybe not the perfect idea but the NRL probably needs to think a bit outside the box.

It seems like a tactic to increase ratings for a couple more games. as a fan (particularly of teams 9-10) i would honestly love something to cheer for. We all know that "dare to dream" feeling very well haha.

I would probably prefer a top 6 and have teams 7-10 play off for 2 spots

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016
Hopefully this is just a "let's throw this out there and see how the media/public react" exercise and it doesn't go any further.

For Joe and Josephine Average Fan there are too many games to keep up with and the finals system is complex enough.

Reduce the number of games and each one will be more meaningful and more people will watch them. If you tweak it properly, you will end up with more people tuning in overall.

The NFL makes more money than the NBA with only about 20% of the amount of games played.

Then guess what, more time in the calendar for International football, which along with the Women's comp seems to be the fastest growing part of our game.

Reactions: DANZ

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Maybe not the perfect idea but the NRL probably needs to think a bit outside the box.
Mate they cannot even think inside the box, for starters. I watched NRL 360 and agree with Paul Kent who hates the idea. However they are short of money and the TV channels reckon it is worth big money, so be prepared for it to be a fait accompli. :rolleyes:

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2014
Mate they cannot even think inside the box, for starters. I watched NRL 360 and agree with Paul Kent who hates the idea. However they are short of money and the TV channels reckon it is worth big money, so be prepared for it to be a fait accompli. :rolleyes:

Yeah and they are only short of money because of how much control they still give to the sixteen other clubs currently within NRL competion. They want to start making some serious cash why don't they just change rules so that only one athletic clothing company can provide sportswear to sixteen clubs like they do in NFL, MLS, EPL etc. Or why stop with players jerseys ? Why not footwear, football, kicking tees ? Maybe we can add some sponsors there ? Or maybe we can change rules so that sponsorship of your NRL club is spilt between you and NRL and introduce a couple of match day sponsors across all sixteen teams. Sponsors with large public footprint that can also be used by you to stomp out other competing codes like AFL who have been aggressively targeting NRL since super league wars. Or how about this, just change rules and start moving some clubs out of Sydney city and into other untapped markets like Adelaide, Central Queensland and Perth ? There's alot NRL can do to make money out of this game without having to touch game itself. Leave finals system alone. The fact that because of bye you don't have to win half your games to make playoffs is big enough joke already without introducing concept of wildcard game weekend ...

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings