General Wigan Lad Needs Educating!

Kittwazzer

Kittwazzer

First of all, apologies for my ignorance of all things NRL. It is actually very popular over here. Many people subscribe to Premier Sport and watch all the televised games. They affiliate themselves to clubs, wear the shirts and get as excited as when watching their home town teams. I expect NZ Warriors will pick up many new Wigan fans once the Sam Tomkins deal goes through.

I'm somewhat curious as to what is involved in supporting NZ Warriors, particularly as all your away games are so far away, in another country separated by quite a bit of water! Do any of you manage to get to an away game? Can you realistically be expected to?

Likewise, do your home games attract many visiting supporters?

To put things into perspective, our biggest rivals are St Helens. A town all of 10 miles away. Furthest UK opponents are London Broncos. Many make a weekend of that with the attraction of a night out in the capital. Then we have Les Catalans, a massive 800 miles away in the South of France. This is often a well attended fixture. More and more people are taking a week's holiday on Spain's Costa Dorada and making the day trip by train or coach to Perpignon. It's only once a year.

Les Cats have a couple of hundred travelling fans. And boy do they make a noise. Before one game at the DW, we were in the pub and I got chatty with a young couple. They wore Catalan shirts whilst their 10 year old son had our cherry and white top with Leuluai on the back!

So all things considered, how does it compare?

Reactions: 2 users
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

First of all, apologies for my ignorance of all things NRL. It is actually very popular over here. Many people subscribe to Premier Sport and watch all the televised games. They affiliate themselves to clubs, wear the shirts and get as excited as when watching their home town teams. I expect NZ Warriors will pick up many new Wigan fans once the Sam Tomkins deal goes through.

I'm somewhat curious as to what is involved in supporting NZ Warriors, particularly as all your away games are so far away, in another country separated by quite a bit of water! Do any of you manage to get to an away game? Can you realistically be expected to?

To put things into perspective, our biggest rivals are St Helens. A town all of 10 miles away. Furthest UK opponents are London Broncos. Many make a weekend of that with the attraction of a night out in the capital. Then we have Les Catalans, a massive 800 miles away in the South of France. This is often a well attended fixture. More and more people are taking a week's holiday on Spain's Costa Dorada and making the day trip by train or coach to Perpignon. It's only once a year.

Les Cats have a couple of hundred travelling fans. And boy do they make a noise. Before one game at the DW, we were in the pub and I got chatty with a young couple. They wore Catalan shirts whilst their 10 year old son had our cherry and white top with Leuluai on the back!

As far as away games go there are travelling supporters but the thing to remember is that there are lots of Kiwis like myself who live and work in Australia. Generally there is good support in most away games. With exchange rates it is easier for Aussies to travel to NZ. Also other clubs have their supporters in NZ. Also if you look at the State of Origin thread you will see most align themselves with either Qland or NSW. Here in Victoria they will support anybody against NSW. It is difficult for the team with travel but the size of Australia means that travel between Queensland and Victoria is comparable to Trans Tasman. For Perth it takes longer to fly Melbourne/Perth than Melbourne/NZ. Teams like the Warriors and Cowboys do get the short end of the stick in that regard though.

Reactions: 1 users
koolkat

koolkat

NZ warriors, are one of the most supported clubs in the NRL especially away from home.thats due to are expat population in Australia we probably have a 80/20 split when we play in Brisbane maybe more when we play Melbourne,and the GC titans. as for going over for games it's a 3 hour flight each way so not many of us make the trip. but if we make the finals or even the GF again(please)the die hard fans and the ban wagoners make a weekend of it are last vist to the big dance(GF)was the most memrebial day of my life.as for fans that travel here Na not a lot we have a few home grown fans that supported other clubs before the warriors where established.so they have kept an allegiance to that club so you may have a handful of other clubs colours at are home games but not much more hope that helped you out a little

Paleaaesina2the20

Paleaaesina2the20

I live in Melbourne, but have been to two games this year and am going to two more.

Reactions: 1 user
Sup42

Sup42

As others have said a lot of kiwis live in Australia.

The History from in my life time ( the story of a Warriors Fan Evolved like this ) NZ has Rugby union at it's center in the same way a Muslim fundamentalist State has the Koran.

My Father Played Rugby Union for the Southland Rugby union side and we grew up playing back yard Rugby with the family around the block ( one of their lads was the best player he became and All black and when we moved to South Auckland he came and played a Street Neighborhood game against our new friends in the back yard of our council house against the local kids wearing his All black Kit )
To us playing Rugby league was the equivalent of Bin ladden selling Salty Pork to the Taliban.

My Dad moved to Australia 30 years ago. He flew home for a visit one day and to our Horror he had all the Kit Jumpers of the Winfield cup teams as presents for his many sons ( he had to explain why we should be great full to get a Jersey from the Infidels , I got a team called the North Sydney bears ).

Rugby League was an aparhteid game here at that time :

1) No games had ever been shown on NZ TV

2) We got caught playing league for a club team and were thrashed by our Rugby coach at school with the Cane soundly. We were banned from playing Rugby for our School for life and as such couldn't get games with our local Union Club anymore either.

3) The Auckland rugby league team was populated by folk from Working class ( often Meat workers Union ) and as Such it's nick name is ' State house Rugby ' ( a State house is a Council house ) there was an un imaginable stigma attached to Rugby league people.

The way we were treated by Union Drove the Whole Family into a state of Rugby league Fanaticism more extreme than those Born into It lol.

Circa 1981-2ish NZ Allows the screening of It's First ever Rugby league match Live.

The Kiwis Beat Australia in a weird chicken scratch version of Union but folk slowly sit up and take notice because of the brutality of the contest.

!983 The Worst Brawl in NZ International sport is beamed live from Australia. Australian Hard Man Greg Dowling Bullies a shorter Kiwi bloke gives him a few Violent head Buts to the Face.....The Kiwi Kevin Tamati puts Greg Dwoling in Hospital.

Rugby League is now a thugs game. Union lads who want to prove they are super tough start playing league , the Winfield cup is Allowed to be screened on NZ TV and it takes off.

The Auckland Rugby league Amature team beats a Full strength Kangaroo Side , people begin to dare to dream about Auckland Rugby league having a team that's allowed to play the Australians on TV ( that game was not televised ).

The relevance of this rant to the Warriors is this , You asked about people attending away games. When this thing began, a lot of Kiwis living in Australia were too proud to risk going to Warriors games to support the NZ team ( wear the Jersey etc ) many were ' under cover fans '

People have forgotten this as the popularity of the Warriors has Grown. Our Club Owner Paid for Ten Thousand free tickets to an NRL Final just so he could get Kiwis to have some pride in their team.

We are a Mixed eclectic bunch of fans.

My Dad Lives in Manly and to this day refuses to support the Warriors.....to be fair My younger Brother Played for Manly U'20's grade so he has an excuse.

I lived with me dad in the eighties for a brief stint and went to a Western Suburbs high school where it was ' legal' to playe Rugby league ( Fantasy Island ).

I got a Trial for NSW at that age , and so I support the Blues / Love hate origin because I'm a Kiwi League team fan and I see a conflict of interest.

When My Family got together in 2011 for the GF against the Manly team , the Manly part of my family flew here to NZ to have one hell of a TV experience in our household I can tell you.......Warriors bloodline Versus Manly Bloodline LOL

Reactions: 9 users
Kittwazzer

Kittwazzer

As others have said a lot of kiwis live in Australia.

The History from in my life time ( the story of a Warriors Fan Evolved like this ) NZ has Rugby union at it's center in the same way a Muslim fundamentalist State has the Koran.

My Father Played Rugby Union for the Southland Rugby union side and we grew up playing back yard Rugby with the family around the block ( one of their lads was the best player he became and All black and when we moved to South Auckland he came and played a Street Neighborhood game against our new friends in the back yard of our council house against the local kids wearing his All black Kit )
To us playing Rugby league was the equivalent of Bin ladden selling Salty Pork to the Taliban.

My Dad moved to Australia 30 years ago. He flew home for a visit one day and to our Horror he had all the Kit Jumpers of the Winfield cup teams as presents for his many sons ( he had to explain why we should be great full to get a Jersey from the Infidels , I got a team called the North Sydney bears ).

Rugby League was an aparhteid game here at that time :

1) No games had ever been shown on NZ TV

2) We got caught playing league for a club team and were thrashed by our Rugby coach at school with the Cane soundly. We were banned from playing Rugby for our School for life and as such couldn't get games with our local Union Club anymore either.

3) The Auckland rugby league team was populated by folk from Working class ( often Meat workers Union ) and as Such it's nick name is ' State house Rugby ' ( a State house is a Council house ) there was an un imaginable stigma attached to Rugby league people.

The way we were treated by Union Drove the Whole Family into a state of Rugby league Fanaticism more extreme than those Born into It lol.

Circa 1981-2ish NZ Allows the screening of It's First ever Rugby league match Live.

The Kiwis Beat Australia in a weird chicken scratch version of Union but folk slowly sit up and take notice because of the brutality of the contest.

!983 The Worst Brawl in NZ International sport is beamed live from Australia. Australian Hard Man Greg Dowling Bullies a shorter Kiwi bloke gives him a few Violent head Buts to the Face.....The Kiwi Kevin Tamati puts Greg Dwoling in Hospital.

Rugby League is now a thugs game. Union lads who want to prove they are super tough start playing league , the Winfield cup is Allowed to be screened on NZ TV and it takes off.

The Auckland Rugby league Amature team beats a Full strength Kangaroo Side , people begin to dare to dream about Auckland Rugby league having a team that's allowed to play the Australians on TV ( that game was not televised ).

The relevance of this rant to the Warriors is this , You asked about people attending away games. When this thing began as lot of Kiwis living in Australia were too proud to risk going to Warriors games to support the NZ team ( wear the Jersey etc ) many were ' under cover fans '

People have forgotten this as the popularity of the Warriors has Grown. Our Club Owner Paid for Ten Thousand free tickets to an NRL Final just so he could get Kiwis to have some pride in their team.

We are a Mixed eclectic bunch of fans.

My Dad Lives in Manly and to this day refuses to support the Warriors.....to be fair My younger Brother Played for Manly U'20's grade so he has an excuse.

I lived with me dad in the eighties for a brief stint and went to a Western Suburbs high school where it was ' legal' to playe Rugby league ( Fantasy Island ).

I got a Trial for NSW at that age , and so I support the Blues / Love hate origin because I'm a Kiwi League team fan and I see a conflict of interest.

When My Family got together in 2011 for the GF against the Manly team , the Manly part of my family flew here to NZ to have one hell of a TV experience in our household I can tell you.......Warriors bloodline Versus Manly Bloodline LOL

Cheers for taking the time to write all that mate, it was a fascinating read! The way you tell it there is a parallel between the birth of Rugby League in New Zealand and the Original Northern Union breakaway in 1895.

I went to a Grammar School which was strictly Rugby Union. There were no punishments needed for playing League as it never happened. League was played in Secondary Modern schools. ( those kids had far more fun than we did!).

Couple of 'blasts from the past' in your story as well. Kevin Tamati became something of a hero playing for Widnes. Met him once, really nice guy. Howie Tamati did a stint for Wigan, as did Greg Dowling.

Thanks again and to everyone else for taking time out to enlighten me!

Jay M

Jay M

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your insights on the ESL and Tomkins in the other thread.

I lived in Sydney for 5 odd years, and went to every Warriors game in Sydney I possibly could (even venturing down to Shark Park - which is an absolutely horrible place to visit as a fan), I also (where possible) scheduled work trips (and holidays) to Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra when the warriors were playing there too. Generally you get a fair few kiwis showing up at every game - and even the ausse fans (with the exceptions of the Sharks) generally are pretty good natured towards the warriors...

Since I've been home (end of 2011) - I've been a season ticket holder at Mt Smart, and haven't trekked to Aus for any games - but next GF - definitely ;)

Kittwazzer

Kittwazzer

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your insights on the ESL and Tomkins in the other thread.

I lived in Sydney for 5 odd years, and went to every Warriors game in Sydney I possibly could (even venturing down to Shark Park - which is an absolutely horrible place to visit as a fan), I also (where possible) scheduled work trips (and holidays) to Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra when the warriors were playing there too. Generally you get a fair few kiwis showing up at every game - and even the ausse fans (with the exceptions of the Sharks) generally are pretty good natured towards the warriors...

Since I've been home (end of 2011) - I've been a season ticket holder at Mt Smart, and haven't trekked to Aus for any games - but next GF - definitely ;)

Shark Park? Is that Cronulla?

We used to have problems in the 80s but we've cleaned up our act since then. These days, pretty much the worst that happens is some idiot will throw a pint of beer from the back of the stand. They are usually 'dealt with'!

We still have bitter rivalries of course, Wigan and St Helens perhaps the oldest example. The relationship between the 2 Hull teams is nothing shirt of hatred. And if course, the other Yorkshire teams bait each other!

Jay M

Jay M

Shark Park? Is that Cronulla?

Yeah - Cronulla... The fans there can be pretty rough - I don't know if it's just when the warriors visit, or if it's every side (I've never been to other games there)... Basically, racist comments left, right, and centre (not surprising given Gallen's history with racism) and abuse everywhere... (side note - Manly fans were pretty abusive towards the Bulldogs players and fans a few weeks back as well - pretty well covered in the media). I've been at Shark Park with mates having things thrown at us, mates being racially vilified etc.

It's ironic - when I moved to Sydney, it was the Bulldogs fans who had a bad reputation - but they've always been pretty good when I've been there...

Kittwazzer

Kittwazzer

Yeah - Cronulla... The fans there can be pretty rough - I don't know if it's just when the warriors visit, or if it's every side (I've never been to other games there)... Basically, racist comments left, right, and centre (not surprising given Gallen's history with racism) and abuse everywhere... (side note - Manly fans were pretty abusive towards the Bulldogs players and fans a few weeks back as well - pretty well covered in the media). I've been at Shark Park with mates having things thrown at us, mates being racially vilified etc.

It's ironic - when I moved to Sydney, it was the Bulldogs fans who had a bad reputation - but they've always been pretty good when I've been there...

I suppose Australia has a long way to go before it deals with its racism issues. I believe it had an openly racist immigration policy until not long ago. It is simply not tolerated in the UK!

Coops

Coops

When the Warriors played in Melbourne earlier this year every kiwi in town showed up. It was the first time the Storm had sold out a game, they were turning warriors fans away at the gates even after kick off. Must be weird when you go to your home game and find that your outnumbered 2 to 1 by the visitors fans. Was an epic night.

Kittwazzer

Kittwazzer

When the Warriors played in Melbourne earlier this year every kiwi in town showed up. It was the first time the Storm had sold out a game, they were turning warriors fans away at the gates even after kick off. Must be weird when you go to your home game and find that your outnumbered 2 to 1 by the visitors fans. Was an epic night.

That happens in most of London's home game although nothing like the same numbers!

Coops

Coops

after saying that, I still have to defend RL against AFL and Union fans here in Victoria. The game down here has a long way to go. I have thus far converted one local to the dark side. My aussie missus!

Reactions: 5 users
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

A lot of ex-pat poms follow the Warriors as the crowd are more like what they are used to at football matches than the Blues.

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Sydney is like the M62 corridor - half the clubs are there.

RidingPie

RidingPie

Hi All

just to introduce myself I'm a Wigan supporter like Kittwazzer and thought it might be a waste starting my own introduction thread (after all I'm sure you don't want a flood of pie eaters spamming your boards with introductions).

My real name is Mike and I've been a supporting Wigan since I was 8 (I'm 38 now so... ouch) and have seen many of the , I'm currently in exile in the East Riding of Yorkshire, hence the nickname RidingPie.

I'm very excited about the proposed link up between our clubs, though I understand why some of our supporters might be dubious about it all after the supposed Saracens link up, which I was always slightly concerned about and has turned out to be just words (and frankly thank goodness for that, why give the rival code access to our juniors). What I'd like to see is as well as some juniors swapping for a year or so, assuming we over here can sort out our reserves competition, and maybe even some movement of coaching ideas. Possibly with us sending over one of our assistant coaches (Harris or Deacon) to learn a bit from you guys and maybe vice versa. I'm wondering what you guys would like to see out of it?

Also with all this the NZ warriors are now my adopted NRL team. Previously it was the bunnies because of the Maguire connection, but I'll be far more excited to watch you guys with some of our former players.

Mike

Reactions: 4 users
Sup42

Sup42

Hi All

just to introduce myself I'm a Wigan supporter like Kittwazzer and thought it might be a waste starting my own introduction thread (after all I'm sure you don't want a flood of pie eaters spamming your boards with introductions).

My real name is Mike and I've been a supporting Wigan since I was 8 (I'm 38 now so... ouch) and have seen many of the , I'm currently in exile in the East Riding of Yorkshire, hence the nickname RidingPie.

I'm very excited about the proposed link up between our clubs, though I understand why some of our supporters might be dubious about it all after the supposed Saracens link up, which I was always slightly concerned about and has turned out to be just words (and frankly thank goodness for that, why give the rival code access to our juniors). What I'd like to see is as well as some juniors swapping for a year or so, assuming we over here can sort out our reserves competition, and maybe even some movement of coaching ideas. Possibly with us sending over one of our assistant coaches (Harris or Deacon) to learn a bit from you guys and maybe vice versa. I'm wondering what you guys would like to see out of it?

Also with all this the NZ warriors are now my adopted NRL team. Previously it was the bunnies because of the Maguire connection, but I'll be far more excited to watch you guys with some of our former players.

Mike
Wellcome to the Southern Warriors Mike.

What I'd like to see out of the connection is actually happening by the likes of yourself coming over to the Warriors , and of late a number of us looking at Wigan with interest again.

Rugby league following / television coverage is building out of this already, and I can see a time where the ESL will be covered live on NZ TV again if some of our stars go to Wigan.

That can only be a good thing for the sport in both parts of the world. Talk of England playing down this way has come out of the Tomkins , Burgess phenomena already.

Exciting times. We have started chipping away at the Rugby Union thanks largely to two recent changes to the Rugby league landscape.

1) Live coverage of the Under Twenties comp. A few union players have come over to league / are being actively recruited from our massive pool of talent in the high schools here...what kids doesn't want to be on TV every other weekend ?

2) Big money backers of the NZW are expanding the game here , an Auckland Schools competition with some of our own Real Rugby league people and the addition of High Profile Ex PLayer Steve Price just adding that ' we are serious ' element to all of this.

At the Nuts and Bolts level once things start moving. Ten years from now it would be nice to have Wigan and NZW supply each others weak spots with Top class Stars. I expect some stars to go your way before that , soon in fact , but the Template thats been set with the Sam Tompkins deal ( we see him as on loan , no one really expects that he will stay ) can be used / developed , perfected.....look out rugby league world.

Traditionally New Zealand has a shortage of Spine players , every other position we can cover. Ideally we develop our own , in the mean time there will be a glut of players coming out of NZ if this keeps up , already we are a key supplier of Stars for the NRL competition.

We can certainly give the ESL advice about surviving raids from other sports and other competitions.

RidingPie

RidingPie

We certainly need advise on surviving the raids.

As far as I know we have some quite highly regarded half backs and a couple of fullbacks (I think ) in the juniors that could benefit from a season with you guys even if they never made the first team! It will certainly push them out of their comfort zone, and force them to learn and adapt (always a good thing in my opinion). The real problem for us would be what happens when we have a injury crisis (like now) when these kids have got games. It's not fair to call them back when its such a long flight and it would certainly leave our cover exposed.

I'd probably suggest sending one of the halfbacks and one of the fullbacks.

Poihakena

Hey mate i'm new too so welcome.

Is there still a bit of trouble between football fans and league fans in Wigan? I know a guy who played football for Wigan (pre Whelan) and he said that it was strange playing for a team where their biggest rivals weren't another football team but a league club!

RidingPie

RidingPie

Hey mate i'm new too so welcome.

Is there still a bit of trouble between football fans and league fans in Wigan? I know a guy who played football for Wigan (pre Whelan) and he said that it was strange playing for a team where their biggest rivals weren't another football team but a league club!

Though I don't live near Wigan anymore so Kittwazzer might be more knowledgeable. There is bad blood that's for sure, but oddly its mostly on the side of the football supporters (or at least it always has been from my perspective).

The RL supporters are often annoyed when we've had to move the odd fixture due to the football, but the soccer fans seem upset that the RL club has a bigger supporter base and has been more successful. I believe they are historically upset that we wouldn't let them use central park for an important game in days gone by but I don't know the details.