General Why Hohaia

Skinner_old

commonsense said:
i still cant believe nathan fien was chosen over lance hohaia as the warriors halfback. ever since hohaia put on a warriors jersey he was seen as stacey jones' understudy. the person to takeover when stacey leaves.

hohaia is too good of a player to be playing in bc (no disrepect to bc players). i would totally understand it if lance wanted out of his contract. it must be frustrating for him. i hope the warriors give him a chance a the no7 soon b4 its too late.

Lance is not the answer at number 7, anymore than Nathan is.

Warriors management though, bought Fien in 04 when it looked
like Stacey wasn't going to be around so he has got the gig.

Rovelli is the one who may usurp Fien though, and out the three, he
is the one with the most class.

Skinner

Jesbass_old

fiamacho said:
If Lance is acting like a prima dona, then good on Cleary for dropping him. This b/s attitude has been prevelant in the Warriors for the last 2-3 seasons it is good to see that Cleary wont stand for it.

I'm assuming, of course, but I suspect Cleary didn't so much drop Hohaia as promote Gatis. I know that's just a matter of semantics, but like Graham Lowe said before the Tigers match, Hohaia hadn't been doing anything wrong on the field. I think it's just that Gatis was doing better.

tezzah_old

You guys are speaking of Gatis like he is the answer we have all been looking for- based on one game which he played well in we need consistency from all players. Rovelli had been a live wire but that doesnt mean to say lets replace Lance, who has had time and access to these positions...

Jesbass_old

tezzah said:
You guys are speaking of Gatis like he is the answer we have all been looking for- based on one game which he played well in we need consistency from all players. Rovelli had been a live wire but that doesnt mean to say lets replace Lance, who has had time and access to these positions...

Well, I'm no first grade coach - not by a long shot. But I'd like to think that I'd pick my team based on form rather than experience. Even the most experienced player can look amateurish when he's not performing well.

Skinner_old

Jesbass said:
tezzah said:

Well, I'm no first grade coach - not by a long shot. But I'd like to think that I'd pick my team based on form rather than experience. Even the most experienced player can look amateurish when he's not performing well.

Completely agree Jesbass, Picking Warrior teams based on experience
has brought them completely undone in the past. Right now, Gatis and
Rovelli are performing, so they are in. It may be completely different
in a months time with injuries, slumps etc.

Cheers
Skinner

tezzah_old

So why is it that Guttenbeil is still in the team?

He's been put through the grinder and definitely has picked up his game!

All good anyway- as long as the Warriors WIN- and play to to Win!!!

jono_t2000_old

I dont think they are picking Guttenbeil just on the experience he has (which is bucketloads) but more on the consistency he produces out on the field.

Now Im not saying that means he is consistently having blinders week in and week out but he is doing the simple things well and performing the job his position requires of him.

In the past there have been to many players having fantastic matches one week and shockers the next.

Thats why Tony Kemp never knew what to do with Toopi and Meli kept saying they were on a warning and praying like hell they put in a blinder the week after.

umosay_old

Hohaia should be starting at 7, and kicking goals. I thought we signed Martin to kick Goals? The guy can hardly get the ball to the goal line from the sideline... lance is very accurate

/ends Martin bashing

Iafeta_old

I don't understand the Guttenbeil hate as much, as much as I didn't understand the Vatuvei hate after his first appearances in first grade.

If you watch Awen since about round 12 last year, he's definitely one of the Warriors best players, let alone forwards. There are games where he rips through opposition, and even other games where he doesn't necessarily get a lot of wraps he's got through 130-150 metres and 20-30 tackles.

I'm not sure what we expect sometimes, its almost as if a player doesn't score 47 tries a season, or make line breaks and try assist with every touch of the footy they're not up to the mark.

jono_t2000_old

Yeah thats exactly we gotta remember that the players are only human and cant be expected to have MOTM performences week in week out.

As long as the team sticks together and is there for each and continues to do the simple things right then I will be more then happy.. a couple of wins would be nice too.

The Crusaders TV ad a couple of years back comes to mind.. a champion team will always beat a team of champions.

You dont have to have a line-up of superstars to play well.

Wiki_old

Iafeta said:
I don't understand the Guttenbeil hate as much, as much as I didn't understand the Vatuvei hate after his first appearances in first grade.

If you watch Awen since about round 12 last year, he's definitely one of the Warriors best players, let alone forwards. There are games where he rips through opposition, and even other games where he doesn't necessarily get a lot of wraps he's got through 130-150 metres and 20-30 tackles.

I'm not sure what we expect sometimes, its almost as if a player doesn't score 47 tries a season, or make line breaks and try assist with every touch of the footy they're not up to the mark.

Great post. I could probably use this post to reply to 100 posts over the last three weeks :D!

AmeriKiwi_old

jono_t2000 said:
Yeah thats exactly we gotta remember that the players are only human and cant be expected to have MOTM performences week in week out.

As long as the team sticks together and is there for each and continues to do the simple things right then I will be more then happy.. a couple of wins would be nice too.

The Crusaders TV ad a couple of years back comes to mind.. a champion team will always beat a team of champions.

You dont have to have a line-up of superstars to play well.

Well said, Jono... you`re dead right about that!!

Jesbass_old

Iafeta said:

Personally, I thought Guttenbeil had a blinder last week. I'd have him in my top 13 against the Knights based purely on last week's form. His vast experience comes as a valuable bonus.

Iafeta_old

The other ingredient to think of is the long term.

WHAT?

Surely Awen doesn't fit into the long term?

If you're smart, he does. One of your top 25 players is eligible for $100,000 discount under the salary cap. Awen is the only Warrior at that milestone currently. If he's resigned at $100,000 per season, effectively his contract is nil under the salary cap freeing up $100,000 elsewhere in the other top 24.

Awen Guttenbeil is one of this club's biggest unsung heros, and largest scapegoats. He's steady, he's methodical - admittedly he had a horrendous start to 2005 - but all around that he's always been consistently one of the Warriors best when injuries permit him to get time under his belt.

sebastian_old

umosay said:
Hohaia should be starting at 7, and kicking goals. I thought we signed Martin to kick Goals? The guy can hardly get the ball to the goal line from the sideline... lance is very accurate

/ends Martin bashing
10000% right, dale budge was remarking on how martin chips the ball instead of kicking the ball. Who cares about accuracy when the ball isn'y even reaching the posts!!!!