Recruitment Who Should The Warriors Sign For 2018/2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a sad reflection of the Auckland competition that we don't see any players coming through from the Fox Memorial to the NRL anymore.
The gap is so big I doubt scouts pay any attention, instead concentrating on age group competitions and first fifteen rugby.
We need to seriously improve our domestic competitions, not sure how but lack of money is probably a starting point.
Big potential talent pool that has been left to slip away.

Is part of it that players tend to be signed younger these days? Players with NRL potential are either signed by the Warriors or have headed to aus befor the end of high school.

Reactions: 3 users

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Is part of it that players tend to be signed younger these days? Players with NRL potential are either signed by the Warriors or have headed to aus befor the end of high school.
Exactly this. Only players signed from Fox Memorial as adults were missed as juniors cause they were in jail (Manu Mau and Suaia Matagi) or only just moved to NZ (Ukuma Ta'ai)...

Reactions: 6 users
If we did lose SK to the Broncos. Would many fans here be happy for a swap with Bennett? I know the whole situation is unlikely. But you would have to say the broncos would be looking at SK pretty hard.

Reactions: 1 user
If we did lose SK to the Broncos. Would many fans here be happy for a swap with Bennett? I know the whole situation is unlikely. But you would have to say the broncos would be looking at SK pretty hard.
the further the Warriors go the the finals the more that they will consider him, that's for sure, probably a few guys ahead of him in the coaching Q currently i would think

Reactions: 1 users
It's a sad reflection of the Auckland competition that we don't see any players coming through from the Fox Memorial to the NRL anymore.
A few weeks ago, I was talking to a board member from one of the Auckland clubs. It seems there’s a desire by some of the clubs to see if they can have coaching and training sessions with Kearney and Corvo now that the ARL owns the club. Apparently, they’d tried to do it in the past but Watson wasnt open to it.

The feeling is that if they can improve the coaches and trainers that the standard of players might improve.

Reactions: 4 users

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Prop/Lock/Back Rower?
I’m a big canes fan, from what I’ve seen of him he’d be a decent second rower, has a decent offload and more pace than you’d expect. Had a few injury concerns and is a fringe All Black- they’re hard to pull away once they get a sniff

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
I think the Warriors should make a play for Vaea Fifita

Might be more realistic now that he’s facing more competition for his ABs spot but I always thought Beauden Barrett would make an amazing league half or fullback- one can dream though

I’m a big canes fan, from what I’ve seen of him he’d be a decent second rower, has a decent offload and more pace than you’d expect. Had a few injury concerns and is a fringe All Black- they’re hard to pull away once they get a sniff

Yeah I thought with him speaking out against the Empire after his non-selection he might be open to the idea of coming across the border.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

WarriorBall

The day the NRL salary cap can compete with the financial incentive to play rugby in Europe/Japan etc will be the day the Warriors have an equal chance of luring away fringe All Blacks like Fafita, until that day comes I sense switching codes to play nrl won't be on the radar for the vast majority.

What I like is that we seem to have targeted a solid Rugby nursery in Rotorua boys high and are cherry picking some of the best talent from that area, first Perham signs then Ale, now the fijian flyer.

I'm sure it hasn't gone unnoticed how if you can grab one and get the good word out his mates tend follow as the incentives seem to be better for these younger players than rugby currently provides, not a bad strategy if you ask me, it's long term thinking that'll reap rewards into the future even if you lose a couple back to rugby later on.

O'Sullivan's obviously there to sign these gun players trouble is we don't know if it's bearing fruit or not because their playing up in ISP, I guess time will tell but I expect if the trend of claiming these talented teenagers continues then in a few years time the club will be in a strong position with all our sides at the top of their respective competitions, that is unless the ARL intercede in some way.

Reactions: 4 users
O'Sullivan's obviously there to sign these gun players trouble is we don't know if it's bearing fruit or not because their playing up in ISP, I guess time will tell but I expect if the trend of claiming these talented teenagers continues then in a few years time the club will be in a strong position with all our sides at the top of their respective competitions, that is unless the ARL intercede in some way.

In all honesty, this guy has a pretty fucking good record. I think if anybody is going to unearth a superstar, it's him. You're right that we won't know for a while, but I'm optimistic.

Reactions: 3 users

WarriorBall

In all honesty, this guy has a pretty fucking good record. I think if anybody is going to unearth a superstar, it's him. You're right that we won't know for a while, but I'm optimistic.

Yep, his record speaks for itself, looking at this thread it's mostly a who's who of quality players people have thrown up as potential candidates that would really add to our stocks but in reality there's no more important signing than Sullivan himself when looking to build a solid roster.

Reactions: 2 users
Watched the Hamilton Boys High v Napier Boys High game.

Pair of Napier twins,one a powerful and silky centre and the other a hooker who would easily be a good lock in league.

Big boys, Thompson is there sir name.

Reactions: 2 users
It all depends on Luke's decision I guess. If he stays I can't see us signing any significant players for next season.

Not a massive fan but I know SK is from his Kiwis days - Lewis Brown is in AK snd it wouldn't surprise me if we signed him up as some cheap cover and experience.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Status
Not open for further replies.