Recruitment Who Should The Warriors Sign For 2018/2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that didn't know, he was stuck behind Payne Haas (Broncos) and Thomas Mikaele (Tigers) at Keebra Park High School, and didn't receive a single offer from an NRL club when he finished school. Rocked up to an open trial for Titans U20's carved up and got signed. Then started for U20's from round 1, usually playing 80 minutes at prop and dominating. Then got called up to Junior Kiwis as a 17 year old (pretty rare in itself). Now the Titans have signed him for 4 years on pretty big money for an 18 year old. To go from finishing high school and having no NRL interest to becoming a first grade regular in just over a year is insane. On top of that he had to overcome the tragic passing of his brother Mosese Fotuaika (a promising U20 player for the West Tigers).

i would love to see the Warriors sign Anthony Griffin on a short term contract.

Use him to steal all the intellectual property for undoing Penrith when we play them.

See if the bloke wants to take up McFaddens spot for next year...keep our coaching depth of experience high.

I would like them to hire a kick-arse corporate headhunter. Someone who could really target suitable TPAs. Obviously they couldn't be directly linked to the Warriors because thats how TPA's work (nod,nod wink, wink).
GoDoyle is no longer "associated" with the warriors I could imagine him being a great conduit between potential sponsors and some of our players.

I don't know how old Dean Whare is but I think we should have a crack at him next time he is off contract. He is defensively strong and can put a good shot on and has a clear ability to feed a world class winger. He offers more than Beale in defence and Hiku in offence. I think he could make Fusitua the most dynamic winger in the game. Maybe we could lure him back home for his final contract

Stalefish540

Contributor
I don't know how old Dean Whare is but I think we should have a crack at him next time he is off contract. He is defensively strong and can put a good shot on and has a clear ability to feed a world class winger. He offers more than Beale in defence and Hiku in offence. I think he could make Fusitua the most dynamic winger in the game. Maybe we could lure him back home for his final contract
He signed a 5 year deal last year from memory.

Reactions: YeahNah 4020
To get a flash Center or prop you have to be able to offer a Sydney Life style and some TPA's or flat out diddle the cap.

Obviously we have poured all our money into having a flash spine, with Blake Green the only modest contract...healthy though not cheap.

Take a look at our Forward pack. There is not one single expensive Prop.

The money has been spent on the Hooker and some high end backrowers (Blair and Harris) with some middle of the road Prop backrow transformers (Paasi, Pulu, Gavet, Afoa, Sao Mannering).

IIRC correctly, Paasi was signed on a one year cheap deal, clearly that is going to be upgraded and chew Cap.

Afoa is trending towards becoming very expensive.

Harris is on the most money.

Ah Mau is coming in on a pretty cheap deal if projections are true.

Papalii is going to be worth some real coin eventually.

All that adds up to Luke needing to accept a Modest deal from the Warriors.

Reactions: Off The Bench
It's a sad reflection of the Auckland competition that we don't see any players coming through from the Fox Memorial to the NRL anymore.
The gap is so big I doubt scouts pay any attention, instead concentrating on age group competitions and first fifteen rugby.
We need to seriously improve our domestic competitions, not sure how but lack of money is probably a starting point.
Big potential talent pool that has been left to slip away.

It's a sad reflection of the Auckland competition that we don't see any players coming through from the Fox Memorial to the NRL anymore.
The gap is so big I doubt scouts pay any attention, instead concentrating on age group competitions and first fifteen rugby.
We need to seriously improve our domestic competitions, not sure how but lack of money is probably a starting point.
Big potential talent pool that has been left to slip away.

Is part of it that players tend to be signed younger these days? Players with NRL potential are either signed by the Warriors or have headed to aus befor the end of high school.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Is part of it that players tend to be signed younger these days? Players with NRL potential are either signed by the Warriors or have headed to aus befor the end of high school.
Exactly this. Only players signed from Fox Memorial as adults were missed as juniors cause they were in jail (Manu Mau and Suaia Matagi) or only just moved to NZ (Ukuma Ta'ai)...

If we did lose SK to the Broncos. Would many fans here be happy for a swap with Bennett? I know the whole situation is unlikely. But you would have to say the broncos would be looking at SK pretty hard.

Reactions: nakiproud
If we did lose SK to the Broncos. Would many fans here be happy for a swap with Bennett? I know the whole situation is unlikely. But you would have to say the broncos would be looking at SK pretty hard.
the further the Warriors go the the finals the more that they will consider him, that's for sure, probably a few guys ahead of him in the coaching Q currently i would think

Reactions: MurrayTD and fizurg
A few weeks ago, I was talking to a board member from one of the Auckland clubs. It seems there’s a desire by some of the clubs to see if they can have coaching and training sessions with Kearney and Corvo now that the ARL owns the club. Apparently, they’d tried to do it in the past but Watson wasnt open to it.

The feeling is that if they can improve the coaches and trainers that the standard of players might improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.