General Who Should The Warriors Sign for 2016?

HEAD COACH

U20's Player
Apr 8, 2014
*Mod: Thread for all wishful thinking and big dreaming signings like Greg Inglis, Jonathan Thurston, Sam Burgess, Mal Meninga, Clive Churchill, etc. Any potential signings that are off contract that arent based on a rumour. Post below that was in the Recruitment thread is a perfect example.

I read that the Merrin deal comes with a player trade and Sika Manu was a named mentioned. But i expect Lewis Brown and Elijah Taylor to probably be available.. Panthers will eventually want a back row of

11. Cartwright
12. Peachy
13. Merrin

14. Docker

I would not want Manu. I would probably take Lewis Brown back though as he's a pretty handy utility.

In other news.. What are we doing for our hooker is the question? Surely this is Friends last year.. Leuluai is nearing his days and i can see him getting injured in no time.

Junior Kiwi Mania Cherrington from the Tigers would be my ideal fit. Dean Bell you should be already in talks with his manager to get him over here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
I read that the Merrin deal comes with a player trade and Sika Manu was a named mentioned. But i expect Lewis Brown and Elijah Taylor to probably be available.. Panthers will eventually want a back row of

11. Cartwright
12. Peachy
13. Merrin

14. Docker

I would not want Manu. I would probably take Lewis Brown back though as he's a pretty handy utility.

In other news.. What are we doing for our hooker is the question? Surely this is Friends last year.. Leuluai is nearing his days and i can see him getting injured in no time.

Junior Kiwi Mania Cherrington from the Tigers would be my ideal fit. Dean Bell you should be already in talks with his manager to get him over here.
I was thinking about Cherrington as well but he's re-signed with the Tigers till the end of the next season - he's been talked up as a replacement for Farah

https://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/rugby-league/players/manaia-cherrington/

HEAD COACH

U20's Player
Apr 8, 2014
I was thinking about Cherrington as well but he's re-signed with the Tigers till the end of the next season - he's been talked up as a replacement for Farah

https://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/rugby-league/players/manaia-cherrington/

Yeah i knew that, patience is a virtue though... At least if we can show some interest early and put the money on the table may get an early release for 2016? If not 2017 is fine as it works in well with about when Leuluai goes off contract.

Also i doubt the Tigers would be able to retain him if we offered enough.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Yeah i knew that, patience is a virtue though... At least if we can show some interest early and put the money on the table may get an early release for 2016? If not 2017 is fine as it works in well with about when Leuluai goes off contract.

Also i doubt the Tigers would be able to retain him if we offered enough.
Hopefully Andrew Webster can give him a call to encourage him to come back to the country of his birth.

Reactions: ramraider78

Dippa

Warriors Bench Player
Jan 27, 2015
Has anyone else heard about Sam Burgess looking to exit his short Rugby career and move back into Rugby League? It seems as if he will be cast aside from the England team for the World Cup, so it would effectively put his Rugby career in doubt.

You would think that Souths and or a Sydney based NRL team return would be on the cards, but if there is truth to the story then the Warriors should jump onto this immediately and get in contact with Sam's agent. Use Sam Tomkins to their advantage and put millions in front of him. Sam Burgess in a Warriors jersey would be a massive coup for this club.

Reactions: way2sharp

FAN

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 17, 2014
Has anyone else heard about Sam Burgess looking to exit his short Rugby career and move back into Rugby League? It seems as if he will be cast aside from the England team for the World Cup, so it would effectively put his Rugby career in doubt.

You would think that Souths and or a Sydney based NRL team return would be on the cards, but if there is truth to the story then the Warriors should jump onto this immediately and get in contact with Sam's agent. Use Sam Tomkins to their advantage and put millions in front of him. Sam Burgess in a Warriors jersey would be a massive coup for this club.

TBH I very much doubt if he would play for any other club in the NRL other than the Rabbitts. From what i've read, him and RUSTY are very close. Be a fantastic signing for us, but I think we would have more chance in signing SBW before we ever got Sam B.

Freddie Futler

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 10, 2013
Tauranga
Well I'm still waiting for us to sign a decent goal kicker. Over the last two years we have lost so many games by one or two points as we missed too many shots at goal. If we convert every try it makes it so much tougher for the opposition yet last year in one game three unconverted tries left us on 12 points when it could have been 18.
Goal kicker should always be the first pick in every team.

Est95

1st Grade Fringe
May 11, 2012
Auckland
Well I'm still waiting for us to sign a decent goal kicker. Over the last two years we have lost so many games by one or two points as we missed too many shots at goal. If we convert every try it makes it so much tougher for the opposition yet last year in one game three unconverted tries left us on 12 points when it could have been 18.
Goal kicker should always be the first pick in every team.
Watching the Warriors pop up channel, every year we have been successful we have had a gun goal kicker...2002 Cleary, 2008 Witt, 2011 Maloney....worth there weight in gold I reckon, hopefully SJ can come through and deliver

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Watching the Warriors pop up channel, every year we have been successful we have had a gun goal kicker...2002 Cleary, 2008 Witt, 2011 Maloney....worth there weight in gold I reckon, hopefully SJ can come through and deliver

Some nsw cup game last year, Laumape was nailing kicks from the sideline, pity his knee went bung, or they might’ve wanted to give him a go.
Johnson seems like he should be good at it, but is really one of the worst first choice goal kickers in the nrl. Stacey Jones the sequel.

Quitter! He wasn’t going to crack the england first 15 right away, but playing him in the midfield was a daft idea, he’s a forward in either code in every sense of the word.

There is precedent benji marshall declared he would never play against the tigers when taking up his blues contract, 8 months later turns out for the dragons.

Suspect rusty would throw his body in front of him ever turning out for eric watsons team though

Last edited:
Reactions: RobRoyMcCoy

Mr. Muller

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Getting Sammy B would be the ultimate dream, but that's all it would have to be. I think hes too in love with the sydney lifestyle, his media profile and to be back with his bros n mum.

mode81

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2012
Sam Burgess is the million dollar plus league player you'd go after! Modern day power forward enforcer we'd be instant premiership contenders.

Having watched Burgess when I've had the chance he looks horribly out of place in rugby, similar to the Benji experiment. Cut your losses and move on ASAP.

Reactions: Harlz

Freddie Futler

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 10, 2013
Tauranga
After watching the reruns on the Skypopup I no longer want any more big forwards.
If you watch those games the big guys did the hard yards but the Little guys got us home, Rovelli, Hohaia, Fein, etc. Their sniping darts and tries plus ur goal kicking were a big part of our successful run.
Bring on the Fox Terriers.

Reactions: gREVUS

RobRoyMcCoy

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2012
After watching the reruns on the Skypopup I no longer want any more big forwards.
If you watch those games the big guys did the hard yards but the Little guys got us home, Rovelli, Hohaia, Fein, etc. Their sniping darts and tries plus ur goal kicking were a big part of our successful run.
Bring on the Fox Terriers.
Ha ha that is funny I was just think almost the opposite...

Watching the 2011 Melbourne game and thinking we need a Russell Packer. Size, power and mongrel :D

Reactions: Jay M

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Those games finish around 2011. That period 2006-2011 you could get away with a mobile pack and move the opposition around. Since 2012 the game has moved towards big guys. Big is in and it looks like we are still running around with a previous eras team body shape wise.

We do lack the dummy half running we had from the options we had during that time.

NRLBY3

Warriors Bench Player
Jul 14, 2013
Gold Coast
I reckon we should chuck in a "shock" offer for cherry Evans. How good would it be to have the nz halfback and Australian halfback / 5/8 together.

Most likely... No 100% chance we wouldn't get him but if we stuck in a pretty good price above sharks etc he could ask the other clubs to up their price therefore using opposition cap up that could prove instrumental in future signings for us. that 100k extra spent for example could be an advantage for us as it's 100k less the club he signs for can offer our future recruitment targets that the club he signs for.

And say it backfired on us. Oh well we sign theeee Australian 5/8 slash halfback who imo is good enough with SJ to definitely win us a comp.

It's a win win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ToiletDuck

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2012
Invercargill
I reckon we should chuck in a "shock" offer for cherry Evans. How good would it be to have the nz halfback and Australian halfback / 5/8 together.

Most likely... No 100% chance we wouldn't get him but if we stuck in a pretty good price above sharks etc he could ask the other clubs to up their price therefore using opposition cap up that could prove instrumental in future signings for us. that 100k extra spent for example could be an advantage for us as it's 100k less the club he signs for can offer our future recruitment targets that the club he signs for.

And say it backfired on us. Oh well we sign theeee Australian 5/8 slash halfback who imo is good enough with SJ to definitely win us a comp.

It's a win win.
If all the stories are correct, DCE would tear the club apart in short time. He would take payrise after payrise and leave nothing for the rest, who will get their backs up and leave.

Reactions: K1W1 WARR1OR

ryno

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
I would chuck some money at Augustine Pulu. Halfback for the Chiefs, dynamite pass, would be able to snipe around the ruck, only thing I'm not sure of is the defense but he isn't a slouch in that department either.

Reactions: Weno

Upcoming Match

St George Dragons Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Sydney

Last Game

09 Apr

12 - 13
5.0 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 22 ratings