• Lance

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • J-ro

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Kevin

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

Kaiaua krusher_old

Lance will stay at fullback and he will be playing this weekend. As with the Kiwis, he is part of the larger game plan and if he gets hammered or his play is negated then the opposition are concentrating on him from their defensive point of view. Theoretically this should allow more space for the 6 & 7 to expose gaps elsewhere - not a bad theory and the very basis of the game. Having said that, the second play behind the dummy runner to free up Manu is nothing new to the defence anymore and he is getting hammered from the outside in. I know they are looking at the tapes to see if they alter this move to make it more effective. If he is getting hammered from the outside in then maybe a variation would be for Lance to be missed, the ball to JRO, Manu coming on an angle with Lance looping right around the outside.

I also know for a fact that Ivan wants him to add more vigour to his kick returns.

Just a thought - I have read on this forum ad nauseum how bad a passer Tate is-what would have happened if he had of passed the ball to Lance when he made that break. Lance was in the clear - try perhaps? Who would know? It's the same scenario when comparing Ropos kick returns toward the end of the game. What would have happened if Lance was still on the park and those same gaps appeared. Would his gas got him well clear of the defense and a better opportunity to score - pure conjecture.

We are winning, not because of Lance, Ropo, Brown, Tate, Maloney or Seymour but because we have deployed a great defense around the ruck area with Luck and Mannering tackling their tits off, aided and abetted by Heremaia and Hendo. Doesn't that free up energy and time for the big boppers to get good go forward and the film stars to do the businness???

gREVUS_old

We are winning, not because of Lance, Ropo, Brown, Tate, Maloney or Seymour but because we have deployed a great defense around the ruck area with Luck and Mannering tackling their tits off, aided and abetted by Heremaia and Hendo. Doesn't that free up energy and time for the big boppers to get good go forward and the film stars to do the businness???

Nicley put.

Spence_old

We are winning games by having good defense, but we won't win the premiership without good attack.

Lego_Man_old

Well, i know this is going to be a tad controversial...but i'm going to go out on a limb and say that if we are able to obtain Matai for next year, we actually have a Premiership quality squad.

And not even a fringe contender. With players in form and in their appropriate positions, it would probably be the best Warrior squad ever assembled.

Top 4 would have to be the minimum benchmark.

Lego_Man_old

1. Locke
2. Inu
3. Matai
4. Ropati
5. Vatuvei
6. Maloney
7. Seymour
8. Rapira
9. Hohaia
10. Package
11. Mannering
12. Mateo
13. Luck

14. Heremaia/Henderson/Seluini
15. Matulino
16. Latimore/a new Prop
17. Ta'ai

Beating the door down: Steve Rapira, Moon, Brown, Johnson etc

That really is climax-worthy...

Last edited by a moderator:

ToiletDuck_old

What you're failing to recognise is that Locke is our Slater and should be treated accordingly - Hohaia is a generic fill-in. We seem to be only putting Jewome in there so we can accomodate Brown in the starting side.

If we had a good outside back beating down the door (to play wing) then you'd find the reshuffle wouldnt be in Lance's favour...

Well, no.

My reasoning is that:
a) I don't think we should usher in a 3rd fullback for the season with finals looming;

b) While I said Jerome at FB has merit certainly from an offensive point of view, I see it as further disruption to our now settling squad, as Lance would either have to dislodge Hendog or Heremaia (who we all agree have been performing in tandem quite well) or he'd be dropped to the Vulcans.

Yes Kevin is the future, giving him his debut in the 1 jersey in round 20 when we're sitting 5th, as an unforced change...seems a little unnecessary.

Spence_old

Ew. That team sucks. The bench hooker has to be 14. Or at a pinch 17. Anything else just looks tacky.

But yeah, that's definitely a solid team.

Lego_Man_old

Ew. That team sucks. The bench hooker has to be 14. Or at a pinch 17. Anything else just looks tacky.

But yeah, that's definitely a solid team.

Fixed for you.

Well, no.

My reasoning is that:
a) I don't think we should usher in a 3rd fullback for the season with finals looming;

b) While I said Jerome at FB has merit certainly from an offensive point of view, I see it as further disruption to our now settling squad, as Lance would either have to dislodge Hendog or Heremaia (who we all agree have been performing in tandem quite well) or he'd be dropped to the Vulcans.

Yes Kevin is the future, giving him his debut in the 1 jersey in round 20 when we're sitting 5th, as an unforced change...seems a little unnecessary.

Valid points, however i disagree for the following reasons:

- Fullback is not a "combinations based" position. Unless you have a team like the Eels who are using their FB as a playmaker, having a different face at fullback doesnt matter and wont disrupt the team. It's very much a lone ranger position and you want someone with the best general skillset.

- I would be OK with Heremaia going to Vulcans. Lance's dummy half dynamism would strengthen our cervical spine, while allowing Locke to solidify our lumbar spine. Since everyone is happy with our thoracic spine i'll leave it at that.

Jerome is too vulnerable defensively to be FB, could cost us in finals footy.

Leftfield i know, but I'd be most comfortable with:

1. Locke
2. Tupou/Fisiahi

9. Hohaia

14. Henderson

ToiletDuck_old

Yeah, it has merit. But why change it now, in round 20? If we're going to break Kevin's seal...could we do it pre-season next year? I'm not doubting his ability, I just don't see it a necessary change...you've then got Lance playing a position he hasn't played all year, as you do with Kevin.

Lego_Man_old

Well, i'm coming from a fear position.

I fear that the longer Kevin is kept out of the jersey, and the more set Lance becomes in it...well for a start it stunts Kevin's development. Secondly Ivan (and Lance) gets more used to it and set in his ways, and is less likely to bite the bullet.

ToiletDuck_old

Well Ivan isn't prone to crazy decisions, so a round 20 switch is almost certainly off the cards. This became most evident when he inserted J-Ro a few rounds back over Kevin.

Look I think once Kevin starts to dominate a little more on the wing he'll eventually get the FB role. It wasn't so long ago that he really seemed a spectator who also made a few glaring errors, at which time noone was really calling for his promotion to the 1 jersey.

I'm all for Kevin at FB...just not at this stage of the season. It's on a knife edge.

Lego_Man_old

Well Ivan isn't prone to crazy decisions, so a round 20 switch is almost certainly off the cards. This became most evident when he inserted J-Ro a few rounds back over Kevin.

Look I think once Kevin starts to dominate a little more on the wing he'll eventually get the FB role. It wasn't so long ago that he really seemed a spectator who also made a few glaring errors, at which time noone was really calling for his promotion to the 1 jersey.

I'm all for Kevin at FB...just not at this stage of the season. It's on a knife edge.

Nice reply, but i'm still aggrieved that you didnt acknowledge my medical references in Post #50.

ToiletDuck_old

Nice reply, but i'm still aggrieved that you didnt acknowledge my medical references in Post #50.

I acknowledged them inwardly...and I meant to do so publicly. However my brain is barely working, I just finished a 14 hour night shift with no break.

DanKokoro_old

I acknowledged them inwardly...and I meant to do so publicly. However my brain is barely working, I just finished a 14 hour night shift with no break.

You don't know the meaning of hard work mate..This is only the third time today at work i've had the time to check NZwarriors.com..

ToiletDuck_old

You don't know the meaning of hard work mate..This is only the third time today at work i've had the time to check NZwarriors.com..

Haha I checked it this morning actually, about 3am my time..had a bit of a lolz at the Hayne train thread.

Jesbass_old

Lance will stay at fullback and he will be playing this weekend. As with the Kiwis, he is part of the larger game plan and if he gets hammered or his play is negated then the opposition are concentrating on him from their defensive point of view. Theoretically this should allow more space for the 6 & 7 to expose gaps elsewhere - not a bad theory and the very basis of the game. Having said that, the second play behind the dummy runner to free up Manu is nothing new to the defence anymore and he is getting hammered from the outside in. I know they are looking at the tapes to see if they alter this move to make it more effective. If he is getting hammered from the outside in then maybe a variation would be for Lance to be missed, the ball to JRO, Manu coming on an angle with Lance looping right around the outside.

I also know for a fact that Ivan wants him to add more vigour to his kick returns.

Just a thought - I have read on this forum ad nauseum how bad a passer Tate is-what would have happened if he had of passed the ball to Lance when he made that break. Lance was in the clear - try perhaps? Who would know? It's the same scenario when comparing Ropos kick returns toward the end of the game. What would have happened if Lance was still on the park and those same gaps appeared. Would his gas got him well clear of the defense and a better opportunity to score - pure conjecture.

While this doesn't surprise me, it certainly makes me smile. Hohaia had a lot more vigour in his returns against the Storm, but I'd still like to see more. Glad that it's being asked of him.

Fazz_old

Locke was injured when Ropo was at fullback...

I do agree with the rest of your points though. I think he's starting to show more and more flashes of what he's capable of on the wing this year. I think it'll be enough for Ivan to take a genuine look at him there in the pre season. Not before. For once I can agree with that, this is not the time of year you want to be blooding/changing positions, if at all possible.

And please....FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO ONE SAY PREMIERSHIP OR TOP 4 2011...Remember what happened when those words were being thrown about in 2008/2009 preseason...I know it was a perfect storm of events and bad decisions that derailed that year...but still...DON'T! lol

Jesbass_old

Locke was injured when Ropo was at fullback...

Locke was on the wing when Ropati last played fullback, though. (Against the Storm.)

And please....FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO ONE SAY PREMIERSHIP OR TOP 4 2011...Remember what happened when those words were being thrown about in 2008/2009 preseason...I know it was a perfect storm of events and bad decisions that derailed that year...but still...DON'T! lol

Not sure why you mentioned 2008. We finished third.