• Lance

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • J-ro

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Kevin

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

Iafeta_old

It's still happening now. Dropped one cold last week, and let one bounce pretty much on his goal line this week, and then to top that off let it bounce a second time in the hope it would go over the dead ball line.

Northern_Union

Lance Hohaia at fullback.

I would happily take Jerome Ropati as fullback when the bloke gets safe under the high ball. In his first stint as club and Kiwis fullback, J'Ro was horrid under the high ball. He had a glaring error in him on his kick returns too where he tried to power through the kick-chase defence, and frequently knocked on, sometimes costing us tries. That part of his game seems to be rectified, however, the bomb part does not. There was a simple one last night that he let bounce, and then bounce again, hoping instead of just catching it and returning 20m upfield that the ball would bounce over the dead ball line. The problem is, the football can bounce anywhere. If that bounced on its point backwards, it was only Jerome Ropati and Kevin Locke defending against 4-5 Storm players. That could have cost us the game.

His running game is superb. I have no doubts on J'Ro on that. If Lance is out for a couple of weeks, and Jerome can prove he can take a bomb, he's the fullback. If he is still having problems, come September, you need to not turn the ball over from kicks and therefore Lance Hohaia is rightly the fullback.

If memory serves he dropped a simplish bomb against the Panthers.

Magic Stick_old

It's still happening now. Dropped one cold last week, and let one bounce pretty much on his goal line this week, and then to top that off let it bounce a second time in the hope it would go over the dead ball line.

Since when has Hohaia been Gary Belcher under the high ball...Hohaia lets kicks bounce too,and his positional play is apalling

Spence_old

Since when has Hohaia been Gary Belcher under the high ball...Hohaia lets kicks bounce too,and his positional play is apalling

I agree. Hohaia may have grown a lot safer under the highball, but he lets it bounce just as much as Ropati.

Iafeta_old

I'm not saying Lance Hohaia is Gary Belcher (I'm more of a Garry Jack man myself, he was a defensive lunatic). All I'm saying is right now I feel ten times safer with Lance under the high ball. Yes, you're right, he has also let some bounce, but when he goes for them, he gets them. He rarely ever misses. There's a lot to be said in finals football about safety at the back. You can't risk giving cheap turnovers inside your own twenty with each broken field recovers off errors or new sets.

In some ways I'm almost hoping Lance is out for a couple of weeks to see if Jerome can fine tune this part of his game, because there's no question Jerome could be our point of difference if he can get the bomb collection right. I'm as happy as anyone to see us split poor kick-chase teams up the middle, and full credit also to Locke who does have a good footy brain for knowing how to set it up, but ... I just want stability at the back.

Northern_Union

Well seeing as Hohaia is running 5th on the POY table he must be doing something right.

DanKokoro_old

Lance Hohaia at fullback.

I agree that Lance is the safer option at the back, and that it's a possibility Ropati could make some errors that lead to tries. That possibility exists with Hohaia aswell though..

It's a cost/benefit analysis and the reason i go with Jerome over Lance is because i'm still not 100% sold on our ability to score points against tough teams. There was an element of luck in both of our tries last night and although we looked good, particulary in defense, there was nothing very threatening about our attack. Jerome gave us that extra little something. Hitting those inside balls at pace, always looking to break the line and not to mention his kick returns which i'm sure everyone will agree are far far more threatening than Lances. At the very least that leads to momentum.

A couple of times last night we actually lost momentum when Lance got the ball. We'd have good go forward and then Lance would get the ball and he'd do that thing where he just kind of stands there, looking for a gap to appear infront of him, then as the defense closes in he tries to bust through a couple of players and is tackled easily.

I guess my point is that I can see Ropati breaking the line and setting up tries for us, whereas i don't see Lance doing that. I see Ropati doing more damage to the opposition than he can do to us with his possible errors.

Add to that the extra bonus of putting Lance back in the position he's served us best in and it becomes a no-brainer for mine. Ropati is in the best form we've seen him in in some time and I think we should be taking advantage of his new found form and confidence by putting him in the position where he'll be most involved.

Iafeta_old

No, to be fair it's because Lance had a very, very, very good start to the season. He was playmaking quite well and a number of us, myself included, wondered if he had suddenly found direction in his passing and kicking game to go with his enthusiasm to have a go. As the season has worn on, his form or moreso his impact has wained. I didn't think he was that bad last night, truth be told. His positioning was good, and he made a couple of good kicks in particular while Buster was off. I was hoping he wouldn't get up in there to kick because frankly his past few weeks of it have been trash, but he got a repeat set and slowed it down for a scrum before half time.

Magic Stick_old

Hohaia use to be a X-factor player...this year he is mud-factor,and very often nullyfying momentum on attack with his greedyness

But he can better help this team as interchange hooker. targetting teams late in each half.

Iafeta_old

I'm not sure why they persist in playing him basically like a second five eighth type of thing. I'm not keen on his playmaking either. Then again, I hope if J'Ro plays fullback he concentrates on the inside channel run and doesn't go into a quasi-playmaking role, because truth be told J'Ro as a playmaker gives me nightmares.

The problem I see with Hohaia going to hooker is that, currently, and certainly not prior to our 5 game run, but certainly currently, I quite like the Heremaia/Henderson combination. Henderson is ripping up in the trench warfare type matches we've had going lately, and Heremaia is going ok without being outstanding.

Magic Stick_old

I'm not sure why they persist in playing him basically like a second five eighth type of thing. I'm not keen on his playmaking either. Then again, I hope if J'Ro plays fullback he concentrates on the inside channel run and doesn't go into a quasi-playmaking role, because truth be told J'Ro as a playmaker gives me nightmares.

The problem I see with Hohaia going to hooker is that, currently, and certainly not prior to our 5 game run, but certainly currently, I quite like the Heremaia/Henderson combination. Henderson is ripping up in the trench warfare type matches we've had going lately, and Heremaia is going ok without being outstanding.

No penetration from hooker though...Best impact runs and vision we have seen from dummyhalf has been from Lewis Brown

Hohaia has a patten of playing a position well early.Like 7,6,9,3,1 but after a extended period he fades

warriors4life_old

I don't think Lance has been that bad but I feel Ropati and Locke would just do a better job at fullback right now. In a perfect world I'd have Ropati at the back for the rest of 2010 with Brown in the centres and Hohaia as impact hooker, though we are on a winning streak and Cleary is unlikely to want to upset the balance of the side.

Once Inu and possibly Matai arrive next year I expect Locke to be our first choice fullback though.

Jesbass_old

Split decision for mine between Hohaia and Ropati. I think Hohaia first, but happy to have Ropati at the back if Hohaia's injured.

I was really pleased to see a bit more venom in Lance's kick returns last night. That's something I think has been sorely lacking.

Maybe we could combine them like Voltron? A Hohati or a Ropaia?

Fazz_old

I could live with any of the three to be honest. I'm kind of leaning towards
1 Ropati
2 Locke
14 Hohaia

With Locke and Ropati switching back and forth, could be a really devastating combination, plus if Jro is going mud under the high ball he can easily be reshuffled into the centres with Tate going onto the wing and Locke to fullback...

gREVUS_old

Maybe im looking at it wrong, however the way i see it, we scored 2 tries with Lance on the field, none after he went off. Last week Ropati was FB and we scored 2 tries in a seriously mismatched game, i counted the ref as 2 extra players for their team. And really didnt get to see what might happen in an even game. Game prior, i start getting fuzy, i would love to know if the points scored were before lance went off injured or not?

I look to 'boring old' Hohia for stability. When hes back there im not afraid of the other teams attack, whether it be high ball or grubber or runner. With anyone running a play at lock i pray that Moon or Tate will get there first and as a FB, i'm not sure my fingernails could stand it. However he is showing vast improvement over the start of the year and obviously dropping him back (to vulcans/under 20s? i forget) has made a real impact. Jro looks great most of the time and i find im only sitting on the edge of my seat when watching plays come his way. But is this tying up our attack? and when will he get comfortable under the high ball. To mind he isnt there yet.

So for now for the sake of my nerves it has to be hohia. Proven dependable/reliable/effective. As a last point, tate proved this weekend any player can be negated if the coaches have both the time and the foresight to plan for it. However would you talk of taking Inglis off the field just because tate closed him down? dont think so, He still the best player for that role and in this case so is Lance - as long as he is fit (i suspect he rushed back before he was right, as per the warriors norm)

ToiletDuck_old

It's a tough one (for sure) *Stray Dog voice*

Who should be there in theory? Lance. Who looks better back there? J-Ro.

I'm not usually one to advocate disruption to positions either, and like to see long-term options sitting in one place, i.e. J-Ro staying at centre. Lance just has to be one of the most impotent FB's in the comp though, his kick returns are really a jog and I've seen nothing to even suggest a half break.

I guess there's no right or wrong answer with this one...the current system works just fine though, Lance starts, gets injured shortly after HT and we rotate. Perfect.

Lego_Man_old

It's a tough one (for sure) *Stray Dog voice*

Who should be there in theory? Lance. Who looks better back there? J-Ro.

I'm not usually one to advocate disruption to positions either, and like to see long-term options sitting in one place, i.e. J-Ro staying at centre. Lance just has to be one of the most impotent FB's in the comp though, his kick returns are really a jog and I've seen nothing to even suggest a half break.

I guess there's no right or wrong answer with this one...the current system works just fine though, Lance starts, gets injured shortly after HT and we rotate. Perfect.

What you're failing to recognise is that Locke is our Slater and should be treated accordingly - Hohaia is a generic fill-in. We seem to be only putting Jewome in there so we can accomodate Brown in the starting side.

If we had a good outside back beating down the door (to play wing) then you'd find the reshuffle wouldnt be in Lance's favour...