Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Meeting Mark Tookey
17 Sep 2014 JWarrior
NRL News
c07bdbd398dd4ac563358e095fc5d2e0_XL.jpg

Catching up with Mark Tookey

Mark Tookey played 125 NRL games with three different clubs, but with 67 games for the Warriors it was here he developed a cult standing in the shaky isles. As a 16 year old trialing with another 120 kids for a spot with the South Queensland Crushers he kept making the cut, starting out in colts and playing reserve grade before finally debuting as a 19 year old. After two years with South Queensland Brian Smith lured him to Sydney to play for the Parramatta Eels. With the threat of limited interchange it was thought his future was insecure and he went on the open market, hitting pay dirt and security with a three year contract at the Warriors. It was here the legend grew with stories of Mini Racing (he simply owned one and once did a celebrity race) and late night antics. He had considerable success on the paddock with a Grand Final appearance in 2002 and played and lost two major semis with Parramatta.

We decided to catch up with Mark Tookey for a beer and to see what has been happening since his retirement from the NRL in 2004. Sadly distance and footy training prevented this. You may now be googling or reaching for an almanac for his age wondering how old is he and running a mental sweepstake at the size of him. Mark is now 37 and after snapping his Achilles tendon two years ago is officially retired and simply trains for fitness with his masters team. Once his professional league career finished though, he was diagnosed with type two diabetes and blew out to about 150kg. There was once a story of PJ Marsh catching Mark with a bucket of KFC in the passenger seat and Mark swore someone threw it through the window and it landed there (drive thru) and PJ bought it hook line and sinker. Most people probably assumed that this was always going to be the case for Tookey after football and the story would end here.

This was really the beginning. He consulted a dietician and rehabbed with a group that were training for a marathon so he ended up completing the Gold Coast marathon and has subsequently completed another two since and has visions of doing the Auckland or Canberra marathons next. While for most people a marathon would be a tick off the bucket list, Mark has enrolled in a Queensland triathlon series and has the goal of doing an ironman which consists of 3.8km swim, 180km cycle and the full marathon (42km) to finish.

Mark is now working as the Development Officer for the Canberra Raiders aligned with the South Logan Magpies and has been lucky enough to deal with players like Brenko Lee, Edrick Lee, Josh Papali'i and Anthony Milford. Despite being in the Broncos catchment area the last player developed by them was Antonio Winterstein which should give hope to all Raiders fans that this area has a vast talent pool and is being well utilised. Mark is still a keen follower of the NRL and his ties with the Raiders, which means he gets a stress free September, it means he can enjoy finals football and is picking either the Roosters or the Rabbits for the title. He also has a soft spot for the Warriors and feels it needs more Australians to professionalise the natural talent pool.

With family now playing an important role, having two girls and another on the way, relationships always played a big role for the friendly Tookey. With many friends made through Rugby League it was his friendship with Rohan Smith that lead him to getting the role of assistant coach with the Tongan side.

The other way he keeps a close eye on the NRL is through fantasy football, keeping an eye on his players. Performing admirably in the Courier Mail league and also keenly chasing the cash in a cash league with some Queensland mates this three year fantasy player will be entering the renegades overall league next season. When pressed about how he would of performed as a fantasy player, he was realistic and thought his limited minutes would him left him as a cash out option at best. When discussing players that would of performed well though he recalled some great work horses like Rodney Howe, Danny Nutley and thought Wendall Sailor would have been a tackle buster that would of racked up the points. Although fantasy wasn't yet born when Mark was playing, it was common for the team to run a tipping competition. Back then things were different, like the time he walked into the now Mt Smart Stadium and laid his first try scorers on with the TAB under the grandstand. We miss the characters of days passed and we thank Mark for his time.

Unfortunately the RFS budget didn’t allow for payment, so if you see Mark Tookey around buy him a beer on our behalf and say hello.

JWarrior

https://renegadesfs.com/index.php/nrl/nrl-news/item/387-meeting-mark-tookey#sthash.d1p8kffC.dpuf

Reactions: gREVUS

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
locke.jpg

KOUKASH BLASTS LOCKE EXIT RUMOURS
Super League
September 18, 2014

SALFORD owner Marwan Koukash has angrily denied reports that mid-season recruit Kevin Locke is regretting his decision to join the club and wants to return to the NRL.

The 25-year-old signed a three-year-and-a-half year deal with the Super League outfit back in June, however his time in England has been plagued by injury – with rumours swirling that Locke is desperately homesick and is seeking an early release.

But the eccentric Koukash has rubbished any rumours linking Locke with move back to the NRL, stating the former Warrior remains part of the club’s long-term plans.

“Kevin Locke plays for Salford. I have just recovered a text from him assuring me he is 100 percent totally committed to the Salford cause. He is one of our senior leaders,” Koukash told the Manchester Evening News.

“It is utter rubbish to even suggest he will not be here playing for us next season.”

https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/koukash-blasts-locke-exit-rumours/

smc

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
locke.jpg

KOUKASH BLASTS LOCKE EXIT RUMOURS
Super League
September 18, 2014

SALFORD owner Marwan Koukash has angrily denied reports that mid-season recruit Kevin Locke is regretting his decision to join the club and wants to return to the NRL.

The 25-year-old signed a three-year-and-a-half year deal with the Super League outfit back in June, however his time in England has been plagued by injury – with rumours swirling that Locke is desperately homesick and is seeking an early release.

But the eccentric Koukash has rubbished any rumours linking Locke with move back to the NRL, stating the former Warrior remains part of the club’s long-term plans.

“Kevin Locke plays for Salford. I have just recovered a text from him assuring me he is 100 percent totally committed to the Salford cause. He is one of our senior leaders,” Koukash told the Manchester Evening News.

“It is utter rubbish to even suggest he will not be here playing for us next season.”

https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/koukash-blasts-locke-exit-rumours/
Any truth to it?

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Not a Warrior but a former hopeful...

BULLS SEAL SIEJKA SIGNATURE

imagesource.php

22nd September 2014

Bradford Bulls coach James Lowes has put the finishing touches to his new-look squad for the 2015 Kingstone Press Championship season with the signing of scrum-half Harry Siejka from Wakefield Trinity Wildcats.

The 22-year-old Australian, who made just nine First Utility Super League appearances for the Wildcats in 2014, has signed a two-year deal with the relegated Bulls and completes Lowes' 30-man full-time roster.

Siejka, an Australian schoolboy international, made his NRL debut for Penrith Panthers in 2011 and also had stints with New Zealand Warriors and St George Illawarra before moving to Super League in February.

"I like what I have seen of Harry," said Lowes. "He came over on the back of a pretty bad injury and has not yet managed to fulfil his potential but he is an excellent scrum-half and we are delighted to have him on board.

"I liken him to Bobbie Goulding. He can break the line, has a great kicking game and is the kind of guy who is not afraid of getting stuck in.

"I feel sure Harry has some great years ahead of him and am hoping he will form a solid partnership with Lee Gaskell in the halves."

Siejka will be introduced to his new team-mates early next month in time for the start of pre-season training

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/31146/bulls-seal-siejka-signature

Reactions: OMG and Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Harry aye.....he wasn't a fan favorite at the Wildcats....complaints tended to be his defence and that he looked slow out there.

Good luck to him.

Reactions: mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
28 Denis Betts - ESL Widnes Vikings head coach
Denis-Betts-mid-sentence.jpg

Betts: Play-off exit “tough to take”
by: Total Rugby League, September 22, 2014, 1:45 pm

Widnes Vikings coach Denis Betts said his side’s play-off defeat to Warrington Wolves last week was a “tough one to take”.

The Vikings led 18-0 at one stage in the first half and 19-6 at half-time but failed to add to their tally in the second half.

Betts said: “It was a performance high on effort and energy we would just liked to have had that closure.

“We let them in the door just before half-time with an error which we were unable to defend and they scored in the corner. That gave them a lift and they came out in the second half and performed really well.

“We spoke in the week about these kind of games when it’s knockout rugby league and everyone has to play well which we did in the first half but just had a couple drop off in the second half.

“The boys are massively disappointed, they worked hard for each other and hard enough to get the result and it’s a tough one to take.”

There were plenty of positives to take from the clash however, despite his side making ‘uncharacteristic errors’, Betts claimed.

He added: “We came up with some uncharacteristic errors, the occasion probably just got to them and sometimes when you get ahead you stop thinking about winning and start worrying about losing which is something we can talk about as a group.

“Kevin Brown was sensational again, Paddy Flynn got two good tries and worked really hard, I thought our pack in that first stint did well and Jon Clarke was instrumental in that in his last ever game of Rugby League.

“As I said, it was tough to take but we’ll come back from this as a stronger group. There’s a real belief in this side and they’ll be better for the experience.”

https://www.totalrl.com/betts-play-exit-tough-take/

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
Denis-Betts-mid-sentence.jpg

Betts: Play-off exit “tough to take”
by: Total Rugby League, September 22, 2014, 1:45 pm

Widnes Vikings coach Denis Betts said his side’s play-off defeat to Warrington Wolves last week was a “tough one to take”.

The Vikings led 18-0 at one stage in the first half and 19-6 at half-time but failed to add to their tally in the second half.

Betts said: “It was a performance high on effort and energy we would just liked to have had that closure.

“We let them in the door just before half-time with an error which we were unable to defend and they scored in the corner. That gave them a lift and they came out in the second half and performed really well.

“We spoke in the week about these kind of games when it’s knockout rugby league and everyone has to play well which we did in the first half but just had a couple drop off in the second half.

“The boys are massively disappointed, they worked hard for each other and hard enough to get the result and it’s a tough one to take.”

There were plenty of positives to take from the clash however, despite his side making ‘uncharacteristic errors’, Betts claimed.

He added: “We came up with some uncharacteristic errors, the occasion probably just got to them and sometimes when you get ahead you stop thinking about winning and start worrying about losing which is something we can talk about as a group.

“Kevin Brown was sensational again, Paddy Flynn got two good tries and worked really hard, I thought our pack in that first stint did well and Jon Clarke was instrumental in that in his last ever game of Rugby League.

“As I said, it was tough to take but we’ll come back from this as a stronger group. There’s a real belief in this side and they’ll be better for the experience.”

https://www.totalrl.com/betts-play-exit-tough-take/

That article could be talking about the Warriors. Maybe Denis is still contaminated by his stint here.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
BIGGER AND BETTER IN 2015, SAYS GODINET
POSTED ON 23 SEPTEMBER 2014

E2PH9914.JPG

Fans’ favourite Pita Godinet is aiming for the Wildcats to come back bigger and better in 2015.

The Samoan international was one of a trio of players who only arrived in the country days before the start of the Super League XIX campaign in what was a tumultuous pre-season at the Rapid Solicitors Stadium.

Despite his late arrival alongside Matty Ryan and Scott Anderson, Godinet took to Super League instantly, scoring in three of his first five appearances including a brace in the resounding win over Catalans Dragons.

With recruitment close to being finalised for James Webster and pre-season plans in place for two training camps in the UK, Trinity look set to be well prepared for the challenges of the new 12-team Super League. Godinet is confident that can reap benefits for the Wildcats.

“The season did go pretty fast,” admitted the livewire pivot.

“It feels like only yesterday I was sitting outside my house waiting for the mail to get my passport and now I’m booked to go back home and spend some time with the family.

“It’s been a rollercoaster of a season but I think as long as get a pre-season under my belt with the club then we should be up for bigger and better things in 2015.

“With the big players that we’ve signed and a good pre-season under out belt we can gel as a team better and I think we can do wonders next year.

“Next year is going to be tougher because everyone’s going to be fighting for that eight. We can say we’re training hard but every other team is and thinking the same. We’ve just got to come back bigger and better next year.

Despite missing a quarter of the season with a knee injury, Godinet’s performances earned him a share of the fans vote in a social media poll for player of the year with Ryan.

Having started the year at scrum-half, the arrival of Harry Siejka and latterly Tim Smith saw the Samoan international form an effective partnership with Paul McShane at hooker, his pace and sharp footwork proving a handful for opposition defences.

The 26-year old concluded the year at stand-off and admits he was ‘overwhelmed’ to jointly win the accolade and admits he has no preference as to where he plays in 2015.

“I’m just happy to be out there,” said Godinet, who featured in the halves and at hooker for Samoa in Rugby League World Cup 2013 and is in the train-on squad for the Four Nations.

“Webbo’s been asking me which position I prefer but I can’t really put my finger on it. I’d just rather be out there at 6, 9 or 7. With Timmy coming back to the club, that’s really helped my game out as well.

“He does more of the controlling part and it’s probably what Webbo wanted, for me to just play what’s in front and play off the back of what Timmy creates.

“I was really happy with that (Fans Player of the Year award). I’d just like to thank the fans of the club. I was shocked really and so overwhelmed.”

And what was it like to hear his name chanted by the supporters throughout the year?

“That’s definitely something I love about the fans. The crowd, their hype and passion about the game and songs like that they make up on the spot, I love it.”

https://www.wakefieldwildcats.co.uk/news/2014/09/bigger-and-better-in-2015-says-godinet

Reactions: Sup42

Vancent

😷
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
Stacey Jones cost us once as well. I think we were down 22-6 with about 10 to go and performed a massive comeback, at the Caketin against the Dogs, and Stace had a kick to win the game and missed a sitter. It ended up a draw, one of the most epic games. It was I think 2002, so I wonder where Ivan was, I'm guessing injured although he was very reliable.

Boys, it was 2000 at the Cake tin, 5mins34secs left on the clock, Morgan offloads to Toopi, Toopi to Fa'afilli, next was cross field kick from Jones to Meli, last was Toopi all the way, Jones with a kick to win, Darren Britt sledges Shaun Johnson about it being very windy, Shaun Johnson replies "yeah it is eh!" and misses right.....I was with a good mate and wifey, screamed myself voiceless in under 6mins. Never forget that shit..... #justsayin'

• Haha
Reactions: mcdenda

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings