General Whats wrong with us?

mrblonde

mrblonde

How does this season rank in terms of bad seasons?

I believe the CEO should walk.
I don't think anything will ever rank with the 2000 season. That was the closest the club came to imploding. That will hopefully be the closest ever the club comes to imploding, shitty performances, dumb administrators, hasbeen players and uncaring players notwithstanding.

However, Cameron should seriously be thinking about creating himself a seek.co.nz profile and be looking for other opportunities. It's not working, to be frank it's never worked and I see nothing at all about this year that implies it will ever work.

Mohawk is being a big enough twat that he's giving Cameron covering fire. He comes across as an arrogant, egotistical git who seems to think "Hey! I can do A really well! So, logically, I can do B, C and mebbe fuckit even damn D fuckin' well, too!" All that on the basis that A - running Autex well - is down to his skill. I've heard opinions to the contrary. This year has proved he can't do more than A. Refer everyone to the Mohawk playing Santa To Lodge playing Bad Boy Who Guilt Tripped/Shamed/Whatever Santa Into Paying Him $700,000 situation.

I have nothing against Morgan in particular, or obviously Jones, but whether they said things to Brown that were ignored and things went bad or - worse - they said things to Brown that were listened to and things went bad, their continued existence at the Warriors, whether still as assistant coaches or in some other capacity, should be considered after long, serious conversations. Not before. Maybe those conversations have been been had, led by Webby as the Latest Warriors Coach With The Metaphorical Red Lazer Light Shining Merrily On His Forehead Waiting Joyfully To Do It's Job Of Guide To The Metaphorical Bullet. I hope they have.

Certainly, as I've written previously, I think the club's definition of Leader needs a serious rethink. Everybody's favourite Jonathan Wright had played 91 games in the NRL before he came to the Warriors, which makes him a senior player. Now, obviously, he wasn't part of the Leadership Group, but I wouldn't have put it past the Brain Stem Trust at the Warriors to have done that just on the number of games he'd played. Also, playing for the Kiwis or being a New Zealander doesn't in and of itself make you a Leader.

Does anyone else have a disturbing feeling that come Sunday the spiders living as long term residents in the Warriors Trophy Cabinet will be rudely turfed out and the place will be dusted, cleaned, sanitised and blessed for the insertion of a Wooden Spoon?

TheMorningEmu

TheMorningEmu

How does this season rank in terms of bad seasons?

I believe the CEO should walk.
As it stands it is the worst season yet on paper- we are tied for least wins in a season in club history at the moment (6 Wins, 2004) but our points differential is -69 worse than that year.

I would imagine every one will have their own worst season though. I only started watching the Warriors from '10/'11 so for me 2012 was the worst, followed by maybe 2019 mostly due to the expectations going into those seasons.

Reactions: wizards rage
Juju

Juju

As it stands it is the worst season yet on paper- we are tied for least wins in a season in club history at the moment (6 Wins, 2004) but our points differential is -69 worse than that year.

I would imagine every one will have their own worst season though. I only started watching the Warriors from '10/'11 so for me 2012 was the worst, followed by maybe 2019 mostly due to the expectations going into those seasons.
The Tainui era definitely had a vibe of "just shut the joint down about it"

2009 was another really bad year but the Sonny Fai tragedy weighed so heavy that year.

This year is pretty pretty bad... we've never had a run of - 10 wins years like this, 4 in a row now.
It doesn't help when we have GM blustering it up acting like self appointed genius and an owner calling himself an alpha.

Reactions: jonesy101
defensivebomb

defensivebomb

Eh.
Let's have another reset.
Tbf next year new coach back in nz.
I love cutting this team slack
But by 2024 we'd expect some fucking results.
There’s actually a formula to use for the acceptable range of years to expect the warriors to get results:

Acceptable year = T plus 2

Where T = current year

Reactions: AlexM
matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
1997 ranks up there for me that 7 loss run in the middle was painful and needed a last round win over the cows to avoid the spoon.
2000 another bad one, club extremely close to fading into oblivion, mass player exodus, coming 2nd last finishing behind even the Northern Eagles.
2004 hurt a lot after it looked like we had finally unlocked the formula 2001-2003, ditto the 2012 slump after the consistency from around ‘05.
Last couple of years has truely tested my patience though, no heart, no soul, awful results and seemingly blow after blow off the field.

snake77

snake77

This year would be up there as one of our worst for me. We had spent the last few years getting rid of players who had been here a while and re-balanced the squad. The pre-season wasn't split like last year to the need to play basic due to the squad being split excuse was gone. We started ok but have imploded.

2004 sucked as we imploded after finally looking like we had our house in order.
2012 was after a period of stability and making the finals quite regularly and off the back of a Grand Final appearance.

Not sure the best way to articulate this. But some of the years we end up near the bottom of the table are quite weird. I end up surprised at how few games we had won. Probably because we get the coaches talking like it will turn around and also I've given up looking at the table until I decide to take a peak to see if the spoon is a possibility or not.

Reactions: matiunz
snake77

snake77

What is wrong with us?
Well if you broke the game down into various components, which of these would you give a pass or say is an issue.?

Go forward.
Kick returns.
Early tackles from wingers / getting out from our own end.
General Kicking (5th tackle)
Kicking within opposition 20 (kicking for repeat sets / attacking kicks)
Defence
Attack
Resiliency under pressure
Tactics
Fitness
All of the above

I'd probably give us a pass in goal-kicking. That is more of a hunch than looking up stats though.

Then maybe drop goals. But we haven't been in a position to need one since the start of the year so that may have regressed.

Reactions: TheMorningEmu
TheMorningEmu

TheMorningEmu

I feel like a better topic would be what do we do well.. the answer to "Whats wrong with us" is "pretty much everything"

I'd probably give us a pass in goal-kicking. That is more of a hunch than looking up stats though.

Then maybe drop goals. But we haven't been in a position to need one since the start of the year so that may have regressed.

I counted our conversions/penalty goals and we are at 80% or so (59/74 or 60/75, I counted it in my head twice, I don't want to do it a third time to check which is correct lol) which feels pretty average but we haven't lost any games because of it this year which is better than can be said for previous seasons.

We have been in goal kicking situations three times this season and we are 2/3, though the loss was for a 2-Point FG.

Outside of those though, I cannot think of a single thing that we have been good at, everything else needs to improve.