General Whats wrong with us?

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
Anybody else feeling really disillusioned with the idea of continuing to support the warriors and to a lesser degree the NRL? I know this seasons been tough and some fans are down but I'm feeling a real sense of loss with the identity of the whole club and organisation. To be honest the closest thing I can relate it to is a sense of mourning or loss akin to losing a family member or friend.

Obviously nothing that dramatic but I'm definitely at a place where I just don't care anymore. I'm coming to terms day after day that this club has lead me on for so long only to now realise that this is a shitty club with shitty people and shitty players as a result. Whatever success we've had has been short lived and inconsistent and not enough to make me feel like my support matters.

So what's the point? Why are we here? Why do we continue to support these muppets and hold out so much hope for them? Have we not realised how badly the odds are stacked against us even before we step on to the paddock? I'm all for fairy tales and under dog stories but this feels more like sadomasochism and not the good kind either.

What's wrong with us?

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
For all intents and purposes they are nice guys at the club .
An the forum has good people to chat to .

But my feeling is that we are stuck in a past era .
An have placed to much emphasis on natural talent
An not paid any attention to leadership an teamwork .
Structured play is non existent in our team
Changing of game plans on the field .
Knowledge of how to pick up morale when something goes wrong
All lacking at the warriors.

The frustrating thing is there is knowledge out there .
We just are not asking the questions .
Anyway it's always good to chat .

Chief

1st Grade Fringe
May 15, 2012
We stay because the one year we piss off and support someone else the warriors will pull something out of their arse and win. That's what we keep telling ourselves but I don't think there is any danger of that happening in the near (or distant) future

I always start the year with all the enthusiasm possible but then it slowly fades. Faded faster this year. After a few years where I thought we were on the right track at least to then have a fuck up of a season like this is brutal

But then I'm even watching less league in general. Same old teams carving up. Same old Ref blunders. There really isn't too much to be excited about with league at the minute.

Warriors mantra - maybe next year will be better. Better NZW and better NRL. But probably the same old same old.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Anybody else feeling really disillusioned with the idea of continuing to support the warriors and to a lesser degree the NRL? I know this seasons been tough and some fans are down but I'm feeling a real sense of loss with the identity of the whole club and organisation. To be honest the closest thing I can relate it to is a sense of mourning or loss akin to losing a family member or friend.

Obviously nothing that dramatic but I'm definitely at a place where I just don't care anymore. I'm coming to terms day after day that this club has lead me on for so long only to now realise that this is a shitty club with shitty people and shitty players as a result. Whatever success we've had has been short lived and inconsistent and not enough to make me feel like my support matters.

So what's the point? Why are we here? Why do we continue to support these muppets and hold out so much hope for them? Have we not realised how badly the odds are stacked against us even before we step on to the paddock? I'm all for fairy tales and under dog stories but this feels more like sadomasochism and not the good kind either.

What's wrong with us?
This year on the field was really disappointing. Felt like it was on the cards with the off season(the loss of Shaun Johnson) but with Cameron George offering money back memberships think it created a false hope. Suppose this had to be done as they couldn't say we've written this year off because who would go and support at games and generate revenue. The team selections have been hard to fathom at times which has created a loss of faith in the coaching staff. While the performances of the team have been poor in a lot of games and from looking on lacking mental fortitude I take pride in the way they are conducting themselves off the field. I admire the way they pay homage to departing players(must be hard to do when your opposition has just thrashed you) and even doing so with a departing referee last year. The Warriors were one of the few teams to not have any player indiscretions in the off season which says to me the no dickheads policy is serving them well in that respect(though Nikorimas recent comments directed at the CEO to "say it to our face"I think was regrettable-in public anyway). Please don't get me wrong I'm not excusing the performances,decisions and atiitudes and I may be alone but I will always support this team through thick and thin but will also be realistic in what I see though would much rather be impressed with on field displays rather than off field.

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
I watched every game before the Warriors came into the comp, and if I'm home I watch every game now.

Sometimes I wish the Warriors would piss off so I could enjoy 8 games instead of 7.

Chats271

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 9, 2017
on Stuff.co.nz there is an article about the Warriors training on Tuesday and how it was all focused on Defence.....
Ummm should't that have been the case when we still had a chance to make the 8 ?? Why do this now when there is nothing to play for.

Its a bit late to get the team focusing on defence when the season is done an dusted.... There's one thing wrong, Timing.
They should have fired up and been focused on our D at training a LONG time ago, not at the end of the fucken season

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
The team only exists so the boys and management can keep getting paid doing this professional sports malarkey.

winning be nice, but protecting your spot is the number 1 goal.

no one really wants to think about that too much, gets depressing, too much like the real world.

Always a few exceptions to the rule.

Last edited:

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Warriors lack of performance hasn't affected my love for the NRL actually as much as the continual referee stuff-ups have, even if Annesley's Monday conferences are a step in the right direction (you can't solve a problem until you acknowledge it, at least that's starting to happen).

Agree with noitall about the off-field behaviour. I don't subscribe to the idea that you have to be an ass off the field to kick ass on it. With all the crap the Warriors have had this year, be grateful de Bell End and his thuggish kind aren't in our ranks. And that Hodge stuck with the Broncos.

Anyway, The Green Machine to be victorious in 2019!

Geoffpublic

Warriors. As good as Gould
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland
For me the NRL itself is just sad. Every day it is more like professional wrestling and less like a real sport. That's not going to change till they get a leader strong enough to put some clubs in their place.

The Warriors is different. I no longer feel like I even know what is needed to set us on the right track. Do we need to change George or Smith or Kearney or Corvo or who?

I do know I'm tired of my club being linked to every player that comes on the market and signing no one. Even Kodi had to be told to leave by the Broncos. If we don't win, I want us to at least be competitive. And again to Kodi and Kearney, no matter how unprofessional it was for Cameron George to call you out, he said what I and others feel. And I don't care if you don't like it.

I don't believe the board will act before the end of the season , but they need to have something planned now so they can act swiftly and decisively.

Give me hope

Last edited:

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
The most frustrating thing for me is whenever we seem to get our shit together it unravels even quicker and we need to go through the performances that have earned the club its reputation of being inconsistent.

2001-2003 under Anderson looked like the club had turned the corner. Bang 2004 things turned quickly and we had to rebuild.

The Cleary years weren't bad we made the finals reasonably consistently and made the Grand Final in 2011. That was followed by 5 years of either poor seasons or are we going to make the finals debate before falling apart. The sad part is this era is considered a success as we made the top 8 besides 2006 and 2009. The top 8 should be expected and achieved the exception should be the years we don't make it and need to replace older players and freshen up the following year.

2018 looked like they had recruited well and go their office structure right. Heard 2020 was their tilt at a premiership. I'd be more confident if 2019 built off 2018. Now I have a hard time predicting success for 2020, what is there to get excited about we haven't recruited anyone who will make a difference.

The first two periods we also got rid of a lot of experience. This year it's likely the value of two of the assistants in McNamara and McFadden was understated. Losing Johnson freed up cap space but was done to late for to be replaced adequately for 2019, also missed if you compare our attack in 2018 to 2019.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
he team only exists so the boys and management can keep getting paid in this professional sports malarkey. winning might be nice, but protecting your spot is the number 1 goal.
Of course it is. Winning is an option at this club, especially when you get a paid holiday in September every season.
Well the players have come out and saying they are doing it for the fans this week.
I didn't realise that, who have they been playing for the rest of this season?

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015

What's wrong with us?

Should probably just tag this thread at the top of the forum cause it’s a question we’ve all been asking for the last 25 years...

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings