General What happened to common sense?

Reaction score

Play The Ball

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Play The Ball submitted a new Article:

What happened to common sense?

Seriously, how is it possible that Michael Ennis can play game three of this year’s State of Origin series despite being given a one-match ban?

Ennis, the Cronulla Sharks hooker, will front the NRL judiciary tonight to try and beat a grade one high tackle charge that will see him suspended for a game if he’s found guilty. If found not guilty, then the issue becomes a moot point and the NRL can save face. Carry-over points from another minor incident earlier in the season, coupled with the points handed down for a low-range high tackle in Saturday’s win over the Cowboys, will see him miss one match with a guilty verdict.

Had Ennis been named in the NSW side for game three he would serve his suspension in the Origin arena. However the Blues have found a loophole in the rules. Ennis was not named for NSW, meaning he would serve his one-game suspension this weekend and miss his club side’s clash with Manly on Sunday. If he were then called into the Blues side (as many are predicting) as a late replacement for an injured Robbie Farah, Ennis would be free to play.

Surely the game’s administrators could have seen this outcome playing out in reality at some point. Rules like this need to be black and white and thorough. If any of the other 17 NSW players were in the same position as Ennis this week, they would be automatically ruled out of the Origin decider, yet Ennis can still feature by exploiting this loophole. It should never have been left open in the first place and now that it has been found, why is the NRL not immediately slamming it shut?

There are just too many of these half-baked, confusing rules around this sport – rep players being named in the two opposing squads at the same time, Daly Cherry-Evans taking everyone for a ride around his contract, players announcing they are off to rival clubs but still representing a current club in the meantime. It isn’t good enough and you don’t see it in other sports.

If rugby league wants to truly be ‘the greatest game of all’ it could start by losing the mantra of being the poorest run sport on the planet.

Interact with the author via the Twitter handle @playtheballnz

Read more about this article here...

Reaction score

Selector

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
State of Origin is what happened. When it suits Australian authorities the 'goal posts' are moved. You have Ennis and other players and reporters coming out and saying he shouldn't miss Origin through suspension.

Yet DWZ missed the test match earlier this year because of suspension where are the players and news reporters bemoaning that? No where. It's one of the many reasons why I no longer retain an interest in the farce that is State of Origin.

Last edited:
Reaction score
MarkW

MarkW

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I imagine the NRL would only try and close the loophole if the Kiwis employed the same tactic.

Reaction score
Makasene

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Doesn't happen that often

If it was happening all the time then their would be an issue. The Kiwis have done it before with Jason Cayless I believe, selecting him to play for NZ Maori, which he was suspended for. That cleared him to play for the Kiwis.

Reaction score

Play The Ball

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It doesn't matter that it doesn't happen often. Bottom line is that it happens and it shouldn't. No other sport in the world accepts this amateur hour type of governance.

Reaction score
Freddie Futler

Freddie Futler

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Um, is that the time? My goodness I think I will have to go have a wine and watch the Simpsons. (yawn)

Reaction score

Pandorica

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
Personally I hate Ennis, but that's irrelevant - just wanted to get that off my chest!
I think the system is flawed anyway, in that players can miss representative games for club transgressions. Honestly, if they're going to make a rule, it should be that players can't miss representative games (and I am talking about international football, not just Origin) because of what they did at club level. Because in my opinion, it is a different platform. And representative games should not be held in the same esteem as club games because they are worth more.
Like would it be fair if a player missed an All Blacks test because of a tackle they made in Super Rugby?

Reaction score
Swanley

Swanley

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Agree what is the problem, his team plays this week, and he cannot. Making him avaialble for the next game he could potentially play....

Maybe they should only name the origin teams on monday night!

Why do they need a 10 day period before the game and the Test teams don't?

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I don't mind this situation as Ennis isn't the current number 1 choice. It would be a bit different if it was Farah under suspension and they tried to push it with him serving his suspension with the Tigers even though he wouldn't have been available for the Tigers.

It's like the TBA that was named for Queensland for Lote Tuquiri in 2001.

I remember reading articles that they would try and get suspended players to serve suspensions in England by signing short term contracts. This was when the English season was in their winter. They miss a few weeks, play a few in England come back ready for pre-season training in round 1.

Us Kiwi's see all this as unethical while the Aussies see it as gaps in the fine print.

Reaction score
frankspence

frankspence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The josh Jackson suspension for his spear tackle is way worse then the Ennis situation. He put soward on
His head and gets away with a reduced grading allowing him to
Play in game 3. Any other time or player I would've thought at least 3 weeks for a tackle of that type especially after the McKinnon tackle

Reaction score
Makasene

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It doesn't matter that it doesn't happen often. Bottom line is that it happens and it shouldn't. No other sport in the world accepts this amateur hour type of governance.

In this instance it isn't amateur. The only way around it would be to have a law stating players selected for a rep team MUST be eligible to play the game they are required to sit out. But this just creates a bigger set of worms as then injuries would have to be taken into account.

The only way the current system would be a rort is if the incumbent (in this case Farah) copped a 2 match suspension 2 games out from Origin. The selectors could then select Ennis, meaning Farah would sit out the second game of suspension over the weekend, leaving him eligible to be drafted into the squad should Ennis "Be unable to play".

Reaction score

Play The Ball

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It is a farce that any of the players named in the Blues side would miss the game. What if it was Papali'i who was in this position? We know Queensland was going to pick him but if he had been charged, they would be smart not to name him, wait for the suspension to be served and then call him under false injury pretence. Mickey mouse amateur crap that continues to make rugby league a laughing stock. Fans, supporters etc deserve much better from the game's administrators. I agree with previous comments about club suspensions being served in club games, not rep ones. Would solve the problem.

Reaction score

Marshthedarsh

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I understand what the issue is - but it isn't one.

Reaction score

Play The Ball

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It has generated a fair amount of discussion both sides of the Tasman so quite clearly it is an issue. Do you see this sort of thing happening in other sports? Very rarely I would suggest.

Reaction score

Danpatmac

Ummmm, I dont get it? If he gets a one match ban and serves it this weekend than why cant he play Origin? A one match ban is a one match ban...
because if he was selected for NSW he wouldn't be playing that game for Cronulla as selected players sit out the club game.

But if he is named for Cronulla and not NSW then he can be brought in as a late injury replacement for Farah.

So the loophole is that to play origin he can't be named in the origin side.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
because if he was selected for NSW he wouldn't be playing that game for Cronulla as selected players sit out the club game.

But if he is named for Cronulla and not NSW then he can be brought in as a late injury replacement for Farah.

So the loophole is that to play origin he can't be named in the origin side.
So he's going to pay this weekend with Cronulla and play Origin???

Reaction score
Miket12

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
So he's going to pay this weekend with Cronulla and play Origin???
No - he can't play for the Sharks as that is his one match suspension, however, he can't also be named for the Blues yet because that would have ruled him out of contention for the Sharks meaning he would then have to miss the Origin game in order to serve his one game suspension. In other words, there really isn't any suspension served yet there is.... only could happen in Australia.

So he'll serve the suspension by missing the Sharks game (a game he wouldn't have played anyway if he was named for SOO), but then be free to be named after the weekend as Farrah's replacement.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
No - he can't play for the Sharks as that is his one match suspension, however, he can't also be named for the Blues yet because that would have ruled him out of contention for the Sharks meaning he would then have to miss the Origin game in order to serve his one game suspension. In other words, there really isn't any suspension served yet there is.... only could happen in Australia.

So he'll serve the suspension by missing the Sharks game (a game he wouldn't have played anyway if he was named for SOO), but then be free to be named after the weekend as Farrah's replacement.
Meh. Big fuss about nothing really. Technicalities. Maybe if I was a Queenslander Id be up in arms. As long as he serves his suspension, whatever game that maybe, than there really isnt any harm IMO...

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Obviously there is a bit of gamesmanship going on- otherwise ennis would be in camp not hinchcliff ( who's no chance of getting a start).
I don't care who wins origin so it doesn't bother me ( tackle wasn't that bad anyway). I'm just glad he's not playing for the sharks this week cause it will be good for us if manly can knock them over.

Top Bottom