General What does Matty Johns have against the Warriors?

HD

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
UK
Being a neutral pom, but by no means a fan of Australians, I usually laugh when (Kiwi) Warriors fans complain about Aussie pundits talking the club down because on the whole - and I exclude dumb stereotypes about big warriors forwards and jungle ball - I think we get a fair serve, but Matty Johns is obviously a different story.

Just what the fuck does he have against the Warriors (or New Zealand maybe?). It seems he either has something bad to say about us or our players, barring one or two exceptions, or stays silent and pulls a sulky (translation: sook) face when his fellow pundits are talking us up. Again on this weeks Sterlo while there was discussion about us after the Shaun Johnson piece he just sat there looking pissed off at the fact the rest of them weren't bagging us. He doesn't even pretend to be interested or turn his head to whoever is speaking, as media heads ought to do, he literally sits there twiddling his thumbs looking into nothingness like he's upset the people around him aren't talking shit about us.

Am I missing something?

Harlz

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 15, 2013
Hamilton
Pretty sure him and brandy backed us to make the 8 this year. I noticed a change in character when ME got fired lol

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
He definitely seems to have an underlying dislike for the Warriors or NZ in general which comes through in his comments, but for the most part what he has said over the years is true, they are a dumb, lazy team that clocks off when the going gets tough.

They have a well earned and deserved reputation for mental weakness which will take a damn sight more than a few decent results here and there to change.

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Wellington
We like to jump on his comments when we prove him wrong on occasion, but generally he's pretty correct and reasonable in his cynical appraisal of our club. At least he's not all "giant forwards this, jungle ball that" constantly.

Marshthedarsh

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2012
i didn't think he came across that way on Sterlo. He was very interested to see how SJ goes on the field. He was saying we were THE form team om the comp and was full of praise last week, but that's easy to say coming off a 48-0 win.

Of course he hates us to hell when we beat his beloved Knights and is smug as a rug when they beat us. Same goes with Freddy and the Roosters. Sometimes when listening to the Aussie commentators it feels like they hate us and give us a lot of stick - but I know I'm just picking up and focusing on those parts alone to form that opinion.

I use to enjoy his Footy Show antics in the good old days pre 2007-ish, very dialed back in his new show.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I don't mind Johns so much.

That prediction at the start of 2012 that we had hired the wrong coach and were destined for the Spoon was fairly accurate really. He is a critical voice but I prefer that tone than the patronising style of people like Phil Gould.

Gould's comment at half time last night in the Roosters and Newcastle clash that he and Rabs should ' stand up and applaud' Newcastles brave efforts was condescension of the highest order.

Very rewarding to see the Knights kick Goulds Roosters to the curb.

HornbyBrown

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2012
Greg Alexander up until this year is the worst for just hating the warriors. That one has always made me angry. We gave him a lot of money to play that first season. Up until the nines he hadn't even come back to Auckland for anything since he finished playing. Which when you consider his media roll that would be hard to do.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Greg Alexander up until this year is the worst for just hating the warriors. That one has always made me angry. We gave him a lot of money to play that first season. Up until the nines he hadn't even come back to Auckland for anything since he finished playing. Which when you consider his media roll that would be hard to do.
Ive always wondered that 1 too, did he part terms with us on a bad note? Coz he sure as hell seems bitter towards us.

blcu2003

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 8, 2013
Ive always wondered that 1 too, did he part terms with us on a bad note? Coz he sure as hell seems bitter towards us.
yeah, i think it was a bitter time in his life. His brother Benny was killed in an accident, he was coming off a winning a premiership with the Panthers, and came here for a change to get away from it all. Unfortunately it just didnt pan out, and he bailed back to Penrith after a few unsuccessful seasons.

I was a big follower of Greg, and thought he was playing in the wrong position (ie fullback), when his talents were really at half back. There were games where i could see him shouting at team mates, looking really frustrated, and one comment I remember which he was quoted in the Herald saying "he never made as many tackles before in his life before playing in Auckland"...

. so yeah, he was basically bitter with the club even when playing for us 20 years ago...

rocketman

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 20, 2013
Matty Johns is an upstart wanker who lived in his brothers shadow and thinks he is the immortal really like his show though shame hes on it .

• Haha
Reactions: ACT Warrior

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
yeah, i think it was a bitter time in his life. His brother Benny was killed in an accident, he was coming off a winning a premiership with the Panthers, and came here for a change to get away from it all. Unfortunately it just didnt pan out, and he bailed back to Penrith after a few unsuccessful seasons.

I was a big follower of Greg, and thought he was playing in the wrong position (ie fullback), when his talents were really at half back. There were games where i could see him shouting at team mates, looking really frustrated, and one comment I remember which he was quoted in the Herald saying "he never made as many tackles before in his life before playing in Auckland"...

. so yeah, he was basically bitter with the club even when playing for us 20 years ago...
You have to remember that he only played fullback to make room for an unknown halfback called Stacey Jones...

Reactions: ACT Warrior

Upcoming Match

Penrith Panthers Central Coast Stadium

Last Game

07 Aug

26 - 22
6.5 Total Avg Rating
6.5 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 23 ratings