Sports EPL Football

Kiwi teen signs pro contract with Premier League club​

12:45pm
Marley Leuluai signs with Burnley FC with his family by his side.

Marley Leuluai signs with Burnley FC with his family by his side. (Source: Supplied)

Rising Kiwi footballer Marley Leuluai has signed his first professional contract with Burnley FC in the English Premier League.

The teen penned the deal on his 17th birthday, which will see him through until the summer of 2026.

The under-18s defender joined Burnley at the end of last season on a two-year scholarship from Manchester City.

"It's a dream come true to sign my first professional contract. That's it really, I can't say much more, it's a dream," Leuluai said.

“I think it’s been the perfect transition to be honest, joining Burnley’s Academy. The style of play we’re trying to play; I’ve been playing that all my life, so it’s been a really good transition and I’m loving every minute. It’s been really good so far.”
Burnley's first team is managed by Vincent Kompany, a former Manchester City captain.

Leuluai helped New Zealand qualify for the under-17 World Cup and is in Indonesia for the tournament, which kicks off on Friday.

He is the son of former NRL rugby league player Kylie Leuluai, who was a Samoan international and also represented New Zealand Māori.

The New Zealand U17 team's first match is on Sunday against Venezuela

Some people reckon the promoted trio from the Championship are the worst trio for some time. Heck, Everton, as bad as they are, look already as if they'll avoid relegation fairly comfortably.
I know Sheffield United got their first W last weekend, but I still think Derby County would be worried they'll take their "Most Shit Team Promoted To The Premier League" award off them. They might struggle to get to 11 points...

Some people reckon the promoted trio from the Championship are the worst trio for some time. Heck, Everton, as bad as they are, look already as if they'll avoid relegation fairly comfortably.
I know Sheffield United got their first W last weekend, but I still think Derby County would be worried they'll take their "Most Shit Team Promoted To The Premier League" award off them. They might struggle to get to 11 points...
at least the promoted trio probably won't have to deal with a points deduction, which it's looking increasingly likely everton will

And the slowly rolling clusterfuck that is "Pay Player X Whatever The Fuck He Wants So Long As We Can Sorta, Kinda, Maybe With Some Jigapokery Justify That Spending" hits the EPL.
Personally, I understand completely why an owner of one of the EPL clubs would be thinking "Hey, the fans are asking me to put millions of my money to get some dude called Mbappe. Fine, but holy crap I'm going to get that money back with profits. Screw any Relegation shit, screw that 'You're not playing Barcelona 'cos your shitty team finished 7th in the Premier League' crap, if I'm making that investment I'm wanting my team in a competition that guarantees my team plays the best in Europe Every. Damn. Year."
I don't particularly like the idea of Super League, but I do get where the drive for it comes from.
This isn't like Mohawk where, yep, he owns the Warriors and sure, he probably has to personally shell out for a few things, but the money to pay the players, which is obviously The Big Money Item, is given to him by the NRL. Even any Third Party Agreements, he isn't on the hook for.

Kiwi teen signs pro contract with Premier League club​

12:45pm
Marley Leuluai signs with Burnley FC with his family by his side.

Marley Leuluai signs with Burnley FC with his family by his side. (Source: Supplied)

Rising Kiwi footballer Marley Leuluai has signed his first professional contract with Burnley FC in the English Premier League.

The teen penned the deal on his 17th birthday, which will see him through until the summer of 2026.

The under-18s defender joined Burnley at the end of last season on a two-year scholarship from Manchester City.

"It's a dream come true to sign my first professional contract. That's it really, I can't say much more, it's a dream," Leuluai said.

“I think it’s been the perfect transition to be honest, joining Burnley’s Academy. The style of play we’re trying to play; I’ve been playing that all my life, so it’s been a really good transition and I’m loving every minute. It’s been really good so far.”
Burnley's first team is managed by Vincent Kompany, a former Manchester City captain.

Leuluai helped New Zealand qualify for the under-17 World Cup and is in Indonesia for the tournament, which kicks off on Friday.

He is the son of former NRL rugby league player Kylie Leuluai, who was a Samoan international and also represented New Zealand Māori.

The New Zealand U17 team's first match is on Sunday against Venezuela
Is this becoming more common in nz?
Total dad boast post but my boys been playing league the last couple of years and he’s the kid who scores every time he touches the ball (he’s only 8) but he got invited to play a soccer summer comp- they had 8 games, a semi and a final and he killed it- they won the final 10-2 and he scored 7 goals- people were spinning out.
Now he’s thinking about playing soccer next year- at the end of the day I want him to play whatever he enjoys but being a born a bred leaguie it never crossed my mind he might wanna play soccer.
Is there much of a pathway there for kids in nz/australia? Not that I think he’s the next Pele or anything but are there many opportunities in soccer on this side of the world?
Just curious.

😯

Klopp has been brilliant for Liverpool. Aside from being a great manager his style of play, all effort, and personality have tapped into the Scouse psyche in the same way that Bill Shankly did in the sixties.

Comes across as a decent fella as well

Is this becoming more common in nz?
Total dad boast post but my boys been playing league the last couple of years and he’s the kid who scores every time he touches the ball (he’s only 8) but he got invited to play a soccer summer comp- they had 8 games, a semi and a final and he killed it- they won the final 10-2 and he scored 7 goals- people were spinning out.
Now he’s thinking about playing soccer next year- at the end of the day I want him to play whatever he enjoys but being a born a bred leaguie it never crossed my mind he might wanna play soccer.
Is there much of a pathway there for kids in nz/australia? Not that I think he’s the next Pele or anything but are there many opportunities in soccer on this side of the world?
Just curious.
Every young player my team Sunderland buy (we have a policy atm of bringing in youngsters who have potential not experienced players) seems to have a highlights video on YouTube. Get filming would be my advice

Back