Post Match 2023 Penrith vs Warriors - Week 1 Finals (Post Match)

vs

-

MATCH COMPLETE

01 Jan 1970

Match Stats

Tries
Conversions
/ Field Goals /
/ 2P Field Goals /
Try Assists
% Possession %
/ Set Completion /
Time in Opposition Half
Metres Gained
Dropouts
Dummy Half Runs
/ Kicks/Kick Metres /
40/20
20/40
Offloads
1 on 1 Steals
Line Breaks
Line Break Assists
Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Rate the Match !

• A+

• A

• B

• C

• D

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Panthers game was hard to watch, but missing SJ and Metcalf was always going to be hard. Also, most of the points were scored after errors from the Warriors. I think that the players will be better for the experience and won`t be as jittery as they were in this game. Upwards from here I think.

Hey, if there's anyone needing positivity for next Saturday and 2024 and beyond, there's this:

Ivan Cleary lost his first 2 Finals games after finishing in the Top 4 in 2007 when he was Warriors coach.

Look where he and the Panthers are now.

As the Great Sage W. Axl Rose says "All we need is just a little patience."

Don't think Guns n' Roses have a song called "Don't Sack Your Coach 'Cos He'll Be Great One Day", though....

Yes we were beaten by a better side made worse by some dubious calls and our errors. That said, we have every chance of correcting this situation on Saturday night. We can clean out the Knights for sure. They have done well for a while but have been living on the edge. This one belongs to the Wahs! With advance apologies to the Aussie media.

I thought we tried to step up to finals pace and fatigued out playing right into the Panthers strength. We weren’t going to beat them playing faster then them.

We should have tried to control the tempo and play our game at our pace. Taken a few penalties early for slowing the play if need be. Play a power rather than speed game. I feel we would then have had more even possession, less errors and less panic.

If we were aiming for a close, defence orientated 16-14 scoreline we went about it the wrong way.

But shit happens… hopefully good learnings.

I'll watch the replay tomorrow. Couple of points/questions. Who is the player in the bottom frame to the left of Niukore that gets involved in the play and was he onside? Was it him who was penalised? Niukore looks onside but he can't make an offside player onside. Only TMM as the kicker of the ball can do that
Probably Dylan Walker as he is the only one cited for an offside penalty in the stats.

Im a bit perplexed about what Webby is trying to do and why our form seems to be going backwards.

My best guess though is:
- we started the year a prop (or two) short, and I thought we would end up bottom 5. Webby came up with a model involving ball playing middles, but also overloading AFB and Tohu, that overcame that weakness to a point.
- as the year has gone on AFB and Tohu are fatiguing from overwork and other teams have figured our model out and are adjusting
- we always knew we were stuffed without SJ firing. The miracle is he’s lasted this long in this good form
- a number of players have had career best years; after a while you expect a little reversion to mean
- I reckon we heavily front loaded the conditioning work to start well; other top teams build into the year

We’ve had an unbelievably good year and exceeded my wildest expectations. I reckon we’ve run our race though.
I think you’re spot on.

Look at most of the top 8 except probably the Panthers and Broncos and they have all has quiet spells and in-form runs.

Knights - started the season slow then 9 wins into finals
Raiders - started the season fast then hung on to reach the finals only winning 4 of their last 10 games.
Roosters - very poor early season form then finished strong with 6 wins to sneak into the finals.

Us - peaked mid season then hung on against average teams to round our the season

The thing that really pisses me off about this is how Penrith react whenever they win. The lack of humility is just too irritating.
They love winning so much and deserve to celebrate any way they want. There's really nothing in the "up the pahs" stuff. I wish we were less sensitive and grew a thicker skin.

Im a bit perplexed about what Webby is trying to do and why our form seems to be going backwards.

My best guess though is:
- we started the year a prop (or two) short, and I thought we would end up bottom 5. Webby came up with a model involving ball playing middles, but also overloading AFB and Tohu, that overcame that weakness to a point.
- as the year has gone on AFB and Tohu are fatiguing from overwork and other teams have figured our model out and are adjusting
- we always knew we were stuffed without SJ firing. The miracle is he’s lasted this long in this good form
- a number of players have had career best years; after a while you expect a little reversion to mean
- I reckon we heavily front loaded the conditioning work to start well; other top teams build into the year

We’ve had an unbelievably good year and exceeded my wildest expectations. I reckon we’ve run our race though.
Yeah, agree with all that you've said and will add that lack of finals experience in the squad adds to it. Those ones will be better for it they were making pressure mistakes. Webby too as head honcho.
We don't know why he chose who he did and there could be more injuries than we know but if not, he may be rolling the dice to get some finals experience into some that will be around next year for the same scenario. Even one game at that level might help for this week.
They all should be better next year for the experience, including Webby.

What the fuck has happened to that left edge? Montoya has absolutely fallen off a cliff, he looks lost out there.

Bench management was a shambles.
Ever since he re-signed he seems to have fallen off a cliff.

That's what happens for every try. The ref awarded this one, the bunker reviews it and confirmed it. The conversion isn't taken until it's confirmed or it gets overturned.
Your not wrong with what you say but was the confirmation correct

On the Sky NZ commentary even the caller (Voss?) had doubts that it was a correct call as do I

Your not wrong with what you say but was the confirmation correct

On the Sky NZ commentary even the caller (Voss?) had doubts that it was a correct call as do I
Watching live I thought no try but after the replays were shown I thought they got it right, looked like it was grounded on part of the line with his hand controlling the ball to me.

I suspect the apology from the panthers about "up the pahs" is to neutralise any distraction on players and/or unhelpful motivation coming from opposition teams.

Apparently QLD played clips of Luai's shenanigans last year, which only served as motivation for QLD to get revenge the following game

My best guess though is:

Yeah good summary.
However team 4 will beat team 5 Warriors beat Knights on the back of 25000 fans at MSS
Team 3 will beat team 7 Storm will melt Roosters at AAMI Park.
Then teams 1 and 2 will beat teams 3 and 4.
Then team 1 Penrith will beat team 2 Broncos.
Its all in the numbers

Back