Post Match 2023 Penrith vs Warriors - Week 1 Finals (Post Match)

Rate the Match !

• A+

• A

• B

• C

• D

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
But.... But... No mention of the refs keeping the Panthers in the game 🤣
I think alot of that is rage commenting though 😂 like fuck me i'm reaaaal good at it, takes a moment or two to fully assess a performance without the emotion haha. I'll put my hand up as guilty, I dunno how coaches do press conferences (maybe we have more in common with ricky stuart than we think lol) id have to take meds to calm down to see a performance for what it is unless it was truely rubbish

Tonight showed us that had Shaun missed the whole season we would have got the spoon
He is our game manager
We were rudderless without him

I don't think any other conclusions can be drawn from his absence than that it is pretty much impossible to beat the bench mark team without a halfback.

I'm critical of the coaches performance for this match but certainly the on field performance defensively we were staunch for long periods

So what's your coaching game to actually win the game against Penrith.

Or if you are coach are you just writing the game off as a loss.
Fair question

We’re not at Penrith’s level. Not many teams are if we’re being honest.

Too many mistakes in our team

We’re getting there though
They played the perfect game

To beat them we needed

1. 50/50 calls go our way
2. Penrith to make mistakes
3. We make no mistakes ie catch the fucking ball

If the above 3 went our way, I believe we win the game or get close

I agree though he could have used the Bench better .. preferred Bunty in there over Lussick…
More minutes for Curran

Live learn and move on.

Webby and Tohu sum it up...finals pressure...I will go with that and even thought so before the game.

Since 2012 we have only made the 8 a couple of times, and got thrashed in the first game.

Finals is a step up

Watch out for next week. The Knights haven't played finals either.

You know if you just bring in Volkman in to replace Johnson you cause a lot less structural changes and get someone that can actually kick.

With the team we rolled out:
TMM switched to the right side - New defensive combination
Walker on the left - New defensive combination, lose middle play off the bench, bench reduced with Lussick added

Don't know what the reason was in the end, surely if there was a smidgen of doubt in Johnson you would have had added Volkman to the extended bench.

Fair question

We’re not at Penrith’s level. Not many teams are if we’re being honest.

Too many mistakes in our team

We’re getting there though
They played the perfect game

To beat them we needed

Tonight showed us that had Shaun missed the whole season we would have got the spoon
He is our game manager
We were rudderless without him
he's our icing on the cake + he's great at what he does since he's been back.
If we rely on one player we're f***ed.
Never, ever, seen Webby say we're the finished product, and definitely not literally one year in.
It's our dream to give SJ and the Warriors a Premiership - no-one but our dreams said it would be this year...
There's a window this year, and or next, if he can see it thru & we can build on what we've achieved this year! Jeez, every man and his dog puts it on SJ to deliver the magic - he can, but on the back of a team, not by himself! Noone is that exceptional, not even SJ.
What pressure!!

The boys did tough it out, watch the replay, Penrith played the ball sideways and took our markers out.
There is no chance to pressure the kicker when fisher Harris is impeding the chaser. I hope webby points this out to the nrl. That team is good, but they play on the edge. Always up very hock when we are running out of our end. I’d be doing some fake play the balls to try and catch out their line speed which is so damn quick….there’s no other way to exit quickly. By the time we’re at our 30 we’re always on play 4. They’ll just do it to every team….gotta try and catch them offside, no point in bashing it up when you got four panthers in your face……

That Adam Gee want kind to the warriors, but he’s the kind of ref that favours the dominant team. We need to be there….leota and fisher harris bring it, but they also give the lip. Hard to beat such a unified team…up the wahs!

We've gone away from what was working with our bench... not sure why Lussick was there,(even Tuaupiki would have been better with speed around the ruck)...

I also thought we should have started with Bunty first twenty, take all the heavy hits and hard yards and brought on Barnett and Jazz after twenty, we needed fresh steel during that period, but we just looked deflated by the time Sironen an Jazz came on, and not long after it was game over...

I thought the reffing suited there game plan better, lie all over the players slowing the ruck, but in the end Penrith were just to good, and even though I thought Te Maire played decent except for his kicking, Dylan had a shocker and was easy meat for Panthers, I was in two minds having Volkman come in...

Anyway all done now, turn to our next game which will be way easier. Playing Penrith will pay dividends as we know the intensity needed to win, I so hope SJ is fit... and hope no injuries or charges are laid...

Disappointed but we still in with a chance

Can't fault the effort as the boys tried hard but boy did we do some dumb, dumb stuff out there. I thought TMM kicking game was serviceable but neither he or Walker could inject themselves in attack. Someone needed to be straightening, rather than. Everyone crabbing across field.
Barnett was in beast mode. I thought AFB had a quiet game by his standards. Nuikore, Ford great efforts but needed to be unlocked by SJ. Egan I thought was gone after that crusher, he’s one tough wetstie….backline needs some work, but I reckon next weeks crowd is worth 12 points

To beat them we needed

That's too simplistic man. 2 out of those 3 are outside of our control - fate does not help us win.

In my opinion, to beat Penrith you need an even share of
1. Possession
2. Field position

Yes error management affects both of those but we can control that through building pressssure through our kicking game:

1. Early and accurate kicking in general play (finding the grass and corners)

2. Getting repeat sets through short kicking & contestable last play kicks

I did not see any of that at all.

Any comments that Penrith would have monstered Volkman is speculation. As is my opinion that we needed his kicking game.

Ultimately we picked a team and gameplan that went against our strengths

The thing that Metcalf brings is speed at the attack line. We get past the defenceline because of that. TMM is more about sleight of hand, which can be predictable. Whereas Metcalf's speed turns the defence around, which would have totally tested Penrith a lot more than TMM did today.
why we were playing so well in attack for the first 20+ rounds speed to break threw a gap .. Metcalf with SJ our best combo IMHO ... also curren for a big guy has great pace .. I'd have him starting next week ..

Back