Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Our defence of the broncos won't get fixed by adding an alpha prop, it might help but there is more to it. We have to have more in the tackle and win the ruck to stop that and its more in the entire middle, I think more work on line speed in the offseason might help too. We got run through by Nelson as well this year so we need to find a way to stop it.
I do also want another good prop by the way, just don't think that's the answer to this problem.

was thinking tackling techniques, not getting the correct combination of tacklers (high/low) to lock up the ball

also ruck speed was concerning vs Manly, Knights, Broncos, not dominant enough to lie all over the ball runners like Broncos did to us in the weekend

was thinking tackling techniques, not getting the correct combination of tacklers (high/low) to lock up the ball

also ruck speed was concerning vs Manly, Knights, Broncos, not dominant enough to lie all over the ball runners like Broncos did to us in the weekend

The real problem is the Refs.

They will not allow us to wrestle, not saying that we cannot be a bit better, just saying that the reason we do not slow the ruck down much is that we get pinged faster than the other sides.

Which would be why Webster tries to compensate with mobile scrambling defensive small fowards who can also offset this problem (ideally) with a faster play the ball speed.

The Storm got killed against the Broncs by the Ref because their normal wrestle was not allowed.

Our defence of the broncos won't get fixed by adding an alpha prop, it might help but there is more to it. We have to have more in the tackle and win the ruck to stop that and its more in the entire middle, I think more work on line speed in the offseason might help too. We got run through by Nelson as well this year so we need to find a way to stop it.
I do also want another good prop by the way, just don't think that's the answer to this problem.
Winning the middle goes a long way to winning the game though. We can put more in the tackle to wrap up the offloads but a quick play the ball is always going to catch someone like Tohu out because he’s slow to his feet, that’s not a slight on him but a testament to the mountain of work he gets through. His body needs someone to take some of his workload, probably Egan too.

Webby did very well with that he had to work with, but we've got too many tweener forwards. Neither big enough to make an impact that way or dynamic enough to make up for the lack of size. Walker/Barnett/CHT/BIG PROP would go well. Or if Barnett is starting Walker/CHT + 2x big men. Sucks because Jazz is a real warrior, but without being able to cover hooker he messes up our bench.

I'll be happy with the team next year if Metcalf is fit for the entire season. One thing i think we missed when he was injured at the end was his speed. TMM, CHT & Volkman doesnt have the speed to compare or replace it. Walshes speed alone created gaps and over laps, add that to the offloads and its a recipe for a successful attack.

if the Broncs play like that, the Panthers will have a tough time, but the panthers do the same with cleary, luai, chrichton, edwards they're all quicker than most of our team bar Metcalf and maybe DWZ but either way we didnt have it middle of the park with Metcalf out.

Post SJ, i'd have Metcalf 7 and tryyyyy lure Luai over as our 6, which could be doable if we're still up there next year where he can see potential success, or we find another quick 6 somewhere... unless our back ups really improve their pace

Panthers courtesy of a reference from Webster perhaps?

Good player for us, did reasonable job, moved to Auckland, will always be a Warrior in good standing.
Huge respect for him signing with the club during the covid years and returning with the club. A lot of others moved on.

I remember seeing a video clip the Warriors posted in one of their temporary training facilities and they had pictures of Mt Smart and their training facilities. Sironen commented on it being their home.

He did well in his role, especially this year filling in different positions. It meant instead of Walker plugging holes for injuries he could stay in his middle playmaker role.

For us to continue to improve we are going to have guys leave so others can get promoted or brought in.

How much cap space do we approximately have?

If we don't, who are we getting rid of.

I'd like Webster to try something a little different next year - with the game as it stands, that hybrid/smaller prop is important, but I do think theres still that role for a bigger prop on the bench.

Why not try someone like Ale or Zyon Maiu’u off the bench for an explosive 20 minute period just before/after half time. Run as hard as you can, give him the greenlight to offload (within reason) and try to smash everyone in the tackle.

I think some teams figured out how to dominate our game plan of smaller middles, and that's to bash with bigger players and offload the ball. We really had no answer once the Broncos started doing that. It forced us to tackle more, made us tired and RW had a field day.

We need to start doing that a little more imo, bend the line with a big bopper. If it works well let's try and bring in an experienced big man who can do that from the bench

I wonder if we'll see Freedom Vaha'akolo during preseason again. He didn't return to Dunedin to play NPC so must have a desire for higher honours.
On the Rugby Union note, what's happened to Denny Solomona's return to NZ for opportunities in either code.

Last edited:
Every AB wants to have a go at league when it’s contract time 🙄
But Ardie did say if he was to play NRL it would be for Storm or Roosters
He said he would want to join a team dominating, like the Storm or Roosters, not specifically wanting to join the Storm or Roosters. He might consider us in that tier now as well.

Every AB wants to have a go at league when it’s contract time 🙄
But Ardie did say if he was to play NRL it would be for Storm or Roosters

That was to ensure they played for a team they could succeed in from memory. Perenara was the same, I'm not sure it is due to any long-held allegiance. The landscape has changed since then, not that for any minute I'd be expecting us to sign an All Black in the next few years.

I'd like Webster to try something a little different next year - with the game as it stands, that hybrid/smaller prop is important, but I do think theres still that role for a bigger prop on the bench.

Why not try someone like Ale or Zyon Maiu’u off the bench for an explosive 20 minute period just before/after half time. Run as hard as you can, give him the greenlight to offload (within reason) and try to smash everyone in the tackle.

I think some teams figured out how to dominate our game plan of smaller middles, and that's to bash with bigger players and offload the ball. We really had no answer once the Broncos started doing that. It forced us to tackle more, made us tired and RW had a field day.

We need to start doing that a little more imo, bend the line with a big bopper. If it works well let's try and bring in an experienced big man who can do that from the bench
We’re going to see just how ruthless Webster is after coming in with good will and telling the squad their position is theirs to lose. Common sense would say Bunty’s future is in the air after not being used in the back end of the season and being challenged in the past to lift output or develop another facet. Ale possibly in the same boat but likely seen as lock being his best spot since playing there in nsw cup, perhaps Tohu’s successor? I thought the lift in intensity when we met the likes of panthers and broncos found out the likes of Jazz(though only back recently from injury), Ford, Pompey, Berry(though I think both will be better for the experience and competing for a centre role. Matter of time for Leiataua though) and Montoya.

We’re going to see just how ruthless Webster is after coming in with good will and telling the squad their position is theirs to lose. Common sense would say Bunty’s future is in the air after not being used in the back end of the season and being challenged in the past to lift output or develop another facet. Ale possibly in the same boat but likely seen as lock being his best spot since playing there in nsw cup, perhaps Tohu’s successor? I thought the lift in intensity when we met the likes of panthers and broncos found out the likes of Jazz(though only back recently from injury), Ford, Pompey, Berry(though I think both will be better for the experience and competing for a centre role. Matter of time for Leiataua though) and Montoya.

I agree that the decisions around Jazz and Bunty will be interesting. Two players that bleed for the club, but may not necessarily be the way forward. Bunty is experience for chump change, but Webster may feel he is obsolete with juniors coming through. I hope he is there for next year at least. Jazz is on more money, so it will be interesting to see how ruthlessly that may pan out.

Last edited:
Last offseason we saw Ben Murdoch-Masila, Kina Kepu & Taniela Otukolo moved on despite all having at least one more season under contract. Guys who are coming into their final year of their deals, & don't get confirmation that they're wanted longer term, are most likely to jump ship.
It'd be interesting to learn of the conversations that the managers of the likes of Lussick, Tevaga & Curran are currently having with the club

I wonder if we'll see Freedom Vaha'akolo during preseason again. He didn't return to Dunedin to play NPC so must have a desire for higher honours.
On the Rugby Union note, what's happened to Denny Solomona's return to NZ for opportunities in either code.
Denny played for north harbour and was terrible gone back to England

Back