General Webb Agrees To Terms With Rhinos

• Thread starter warriors_ballboy_CEO_old
  • Start date

warriors_ballboy_CEO_old

World Champions Leeds Rhinos were handed a major boost ahead of the Carnegie Challenge Cup Quarter Final against Wigan Warriors this Saturday at Headingley Carnegie with the announcement that New Zealand international Brent Webb has agreed a new three year deal with the club.

Webb, who recently earned his 17th cap for the Kiwis, was due to be out of contract at the end of the current season but has now signed a three year extension that will keep him at Headingley Carnegie until at least the end of the 2011 season.

Commenting on the new deal Webb, 27, said, "Anyone who plays for Leeds Rhinos doesn't want to leave if it is their choice. I am very happy to have agreed a new three year deal. My wife and I have settled in really well at the club and in the city of Leeds. This is a great club, I have great mates in the team and staying for the next three years is great for me.

"We have worked hard to come to an agreement and this deal will take me through until I am 30 and hopefully cover the prime of my career. I am always learning and trying to get better and I am looking forward to being here to see the young guys come through to become established first team players.

"Having Brian McClennan as Head Coach was also a massive motivation factor for me to agree a new deal. Bluey has shown his commitment in wanting me to stay and that gave me the confidence to pledge my future to Leeds.

"It has been great to see guys like Ben Jones-Bishop, Kallum Watkins and Danny Allan coming through recently and I expect there will be another three or four players who come through during my time at the club. There is a great system in place at Leeds for bringing through young players and I think we operate at a level above every other club for youth development so the future is certainly safe.

"In the immediate future, I am looking forward to this Saturday's game. Wigan is our next step towards Wembley. With the Carnegie Challenge Cup you have to take it one game at a time because it is knock out rugby. We have been building up to this game and we know we will have to be at our best come Saturday afternoon.

"I was very grateful for my team mates for getting us through to the Quarter Final when I was unavailable because of my commitments with New Zealand. I was on a train coming back from London when we beat Harlequins and I was getting nervous as the text updates were coming through. I wished I could have been in two places at once but was not possible.

"It was amazing playing at the Sydney Cricket Ground for the first time and hopefully I will get to play at Wembley too," added Webb

Head Coach Brian McClennan added, "I am really delighted that Webby has agreed a new contract. He is the outstanding full back in world Rugby League and stands alone in the Super League competition. He makes the Rhinos a better side when he is in the team. He is in the prime of his career and, having had a bit to do with him over the years with the New Zealand side, I can honestly say that this year is the best I have ever seen him play.

"However, there is still a lot more to come from him; his option taking, support play and positional sense are phenomenal. Everyone in the team is happy to know that we have got a person in our group who can create fantastic opportunities so quickly and also at the back save us time and time again. Webby signing a new deal has certainly put a smile on everyone's face," added McClennan.

News Source: www.leedsrugby.com

Kid-Dynamite_old

Webby and Mclennan are really flying the NZ flag high over there in the ESL for Leeds Rhinos!!!!

Good on Webby, he's obviously happy where he is and long may his good form continue!!

2big2strong_old

shitballs.... I hate superleague more and more every day. They need a smaller cap on how many non-English players they have in their teams. Like 2. instead of 3 + as many Polynesians as they want because they travel on an island passport yada yada yada.

GROW YOUR OWN PLAYERS!@&^*^$%^&%*(&%*&^$*&^%*^&%87Y5_)+)&^$^%$

2big2strong_old

Webby and Mclennan are really flying the NZ flag high over there in the ESL for Leeds Rhinos!!!!

Good on Webby, he's obviously happy where he is and long may his good form continue!!

It's obviously brought his form down living over there, either that or he was really affected by the flight to Sydney for the test match. He was shitballs.

Northern_Union

shitballs.... I hate superleague more and more every day. They need a smaller cap on how many non-English players they have in their teams. Like 2. instead of 3 + as many Polynesians as they want because they travel on an island passport yada yada yada.

GROW YOUR OWN PLAYERS!@&^*^$%^&%*(&%*&^$*&^%*^&%87Y5_)+)&^$^%$

This is coming. Over the next couple of years they are lowering the overseas quoter on players

Skinny_Ravs82

Bit late for that. And to be honest after that test match, I would hardly think we should bring any of them back.