Player Wayde Egan

Fonzie

Fonzie

May be an unpopular opinion but I'd rate Egan as one of our best players this year tbh. I think he is underrated, this year he was a better dummy half than Cook.
Hes probably in the middle tier of hookers, the elite tier would be guys like Korisau, Grant, Brailey, Origin Hunt.
Completely agree. Plays behind a poor middle and still looks ok.

Edit - not just a poor middle, terrible yardage and metres per carry. And he’s not the cause, his passing is top notch.

Paulo24

Paulo24

Personally I think the most import attribute of a hooker is a crisp, long and accurate pass

Second very smart decision making and the ability to control the tempo of the game

Third rock solid D

Depending on your halves the running game is a real plus, but I’d take the above fundamentals first.

Lussick has a defensive game that can change the momentum of a game, which surprised me given how skinny he is. He needs to improve his pass but that’s not hard to improve if you practice enough. I’m keen to see how he goes. I’m happy to let Otukolo go, he’s shown nothing that excites me.

Egan…he’s ok, but I dont see him winning us a comp. Obviously I’d take Api, Grant, Smith, Reed or Cook but realistically they aren’t coming to the Warriors any time soon.
Sorry boys, I should have clarified that a crisp pass and having standard defence etc was a given for me. I should have made it clear.

Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

Contributor
The great hookers have the pass. It's that ability to get the ball away without a wind up swing or taking a step and to put it slightly in front of the receiving player. Gives the first receiver that extra second or two and negates the defensive line (depending on the ref)

Not sure we're quite there yet but maybe a work in process. I thought Otukolo had a decent pass.

Blain

Blain

I disagree. I think he'd be lucky to be 10th on his performances in the warriors' jersey. He might be if our pack consistently asserted dominance.

In no particular order:
Grant
Koroisau
Smith
Cook
Robson
Mahoney
Brailey
Croker
Verrills
JMK
Hodgson
Woolford
Hunt

The top 6 are better hookers for sure. The rest are equal at best (most are poorer IMO), and Hunt is a halfback. Otherwise you would have Tommy Turbo on the best NRL centres list for instance because he played origin there.

Egan is clearly under rated by Warriors fans, which is probably because we have been so poor since he's been at the club. Was easy in our top 3 players this season.

Toookey

Toookey

Egan's a decent player. If we got things right with our forward pack he'd go even better. Hes shown he has a decent footy brain and is great at squaring up the defence for his outside men. Has an okay running game, if he improved his kicking he would be above average imo.

He's not the player who's going to win you a premiership singlehandedly, but does his job well enough for other stars to shine. I just don't think we have many other stars at the moment.

He would be the kind of player that would go great at a club like Storm or Panthers. Professional, good work ethic and does his core job relatively well.

Still only 24 too! He could be a solid, consistent Warrior for over 10 years really.

Noitall

Noitall

….and he started running the ball more and realised he could do a job there too. He’s on the up. 👍🏾
Somebody on here said Harry Grant studies Egan for how he engages defenders from dummy half, he’s obviously doing something right. I read the panthers forum a bit and they would have him back in a heartbeat. His body is getting stronger and not so injury prone, I see him as our captain after Tohu Harris is done

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
240. WAYDE EGAN

Warriors signed Wayde Egan from the Penrith Panthers on a 3 year contract where he had played 29 games from 2018-2019. Egan was told by Penrith that he was free to look elsewhere for the 2020 season as his contract would not be renewed.

In December 2021 Egan signed for a further 2 years keeping him at the club until 2024...

Vodafone Warriors re-sign Egan for further two years

Richard Becht & photosport.nz
Thu 2 Dec 2021, 03:59 PM
Screenshot 2022 12 21 95017 PM

Hooker Wayde Egan has extended his time with the Vodafone Warriors after signing a new two-year contract until the end of the 2024 NRL season.

The 24-year-old, who was off contract after the 2022 season, will now stretch his stay to at least five seasons.

“We’re really excited to have Wayde with us for a further two years,” said Vodafone Warriors general manager football Craig Hodges.

“He impressed throughout the season giving us real consistency with his work at hooker.

“We like what he brings to the squad and to the club as a whole with his work ethic as well as his attitude off the field where he has a passion for community causes.”

Like many in the current squad, Egan is yet to play a home game at Mount Smart Stadium after appearing in 38 matches in his first two seasons with the club.

“What’s really impressive about Wayde is the way he’s always looking to improve his game,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Nathan Brown.

“He gave us tremendous value this year, performing consistently well and standing out as one of our best players across the season.”

The former Penrith hooker was among the four nominees for the club’s prestigious Simon Mannering Medal alongside Addin Fonua-Blake, Euan Aitken and award winner Tohu Harris.

He appeared in 20 of the Vodafone Warriors’ 24 games scoring three tries while averaging almost 69 minutes a game and making a team-high 818 tackles (an average of almost 41 a game). He made more than 50 tackles in a game five times including a best of 59 against Cronulla Sutherland in round 17.

On attack he had eight try assists and eight line break assists, third best behind only Kodi Nikorima and Reece Walsh in each category.

Off the field Egan continued his involvement in community causes, most recently last month when he enlisted the support of some teammates for a 24-hour stationary bike ride to raise funds for the Gotcha4Life Foundation.

WAYDE EGAN
BornMarch 20, 1997
BirthplaceLithgow, NSW
Junior clubLithgow Storm
PositionHooker
Height185cm
Weight91kg
Previous clubsPenrith Panthers (2018-2019)
NRL debutPenrith Panthers v North Queensland Cowboys, 1300 SMILES Stadium, March 29, 2018 (Round 4)
Vodafone Warriors No240
Vodafone Warriors debutv Newcastle Knights, McDonald Jones Stadium, March 14, 2020 (Rd 1)
NRL career67 appearances (2018-2021)
Penrith Panthers: 29 appearances (2018-2019)
Vodafone Warriors: 38 appearances (2020-2021)
NRL points32 (8 tries)