General Warriors Will To Win

How much do the warriors want to win?

• 10 They love to win everything, everytime, and losing is painfully unacceptable.

• 5 They don't mind winning, but don't mind losing either.

• 0 They love to lose every game, as trying to win is too much pain and effort.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 30, 2016
Brisbane
Hard question! I gave a six.. only because of Mannering and Foran.
It depends what week it is... seems to change from game to game, week to week. My wife says they are consistently inconsistent.

Reactions: jonno

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I put 5, because half of them seriously want to win at all costs, the other half couldn't really give a shit as long as they are getting paid, getting laid and getting on TV.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
I voted 6. I think they'd prefer winning to losing, but not if it's any kind of hard...

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Is there a side comp to see how many threads we can start that rehash the same arguments?
  1. Warriors: From obsession to apathy
  2. Is your glass half full or half empty with the Warriors?
  3. Warriors will to win.
Maybe the mods could merge this thread if it gets too suicidal or too philosophical..

As for now it's just a simple poll from a simple poster.

Reactions: Worried2Death

eric

1st Grade Fringe
May 27, 2015
GC
Is there a side comp to see how many threads we can start that rehash the same arguments?
  1. Warriors: From obsession to apathy
  2. Is your glass half full or half empty with the Warriors?
  3. Warriors will to win.

4. One Sentence To sum up the warriors
5. Lunacy from the warriors

Reactions: fizurg

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
I think anyone who plays any sport wants to win.

Reactions: Sup42

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
After 18 votes counted, ave 5.5 out of 10, the fan perception is that the team is happy either way.

Winning and losing are about equal in the minds of the players as far as we can tell.

The Happy Go Lucky 2017 warriors?

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I think anyone who plays any sport wants to win.
Yes, but how much?

I know when I lost at league I wasn't smiling and hugging the opposition afterwards. A polite handshake was as most as I could muster then I went into the changing sheds and sulked. Losing was that unpleasant.

Everybody likes to win, but not everybody REALLY wants to win. Winners want it more than the other guy. Graham Lowe, who knew a bit about coaching, used to say just doing the hard work at training only entitled you to turn up for the game, winning took extra.

I get the impression that some of this team, but not all, don't find losing that unpleasant.

Yawn all you like Welly, but did you laugh at losing?

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Yes, but how much?

I know when I lost at league I wasn't smiling and hugging the opposition afterwards. A polite handshake was as most as I could muster then I went into the changing sheds and sulked. Losing was that unpleasant.

Everybody likes to win, but not everybody REALLY wants to win. Winners want it more than the other guy. Graham Lowe, who knew a bit about coaching, used to say just doing the hard work at training only entitled you to turn up for the game, winning took extra.

I get the impression that some of this team, but not all, don't find losing that unpleasant.

Yawn all you like Welly, but did you laugh at losing?
I was never really a competitive sort of person. I reckon you either born with it or your not. Much happier to just have fun.

Personally I don't think you get anywhere near the NRL without being a competitor. Training and getting your ass kicked for a job isn't fun. Preseason isn't fun. Media and fan pressure isn't fun. Most these guys been training hard and doing the extras since they were 14-15. The Warriors U16 players are doing club training, school team (1st XIII or 1st XV) training, rep training as well as Warriors training on Wednesday. All that on top of school. Huge workload and sacrifice for a 15 year old. Talent will only get you so far.

When I think of genuine competitors you are looking at the usual suspects. Johnathan Thurston, James Graham, Sam Burgess, Cameron Smith, Billy Slater etc. Players that absolutely loathe losing. They're the ones that do the extras, chase the ball all day, tackle their guts out, put their bodies on the line. As far as the Warriors go I would say the only real ones in that top bracket are Simon Mannering, Ryan Hoffman and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. These are guys who train hard, play hard and are visibly shook after a loss. The last real agro competitor I remember in the team was Brent Tate and Steve Price. Guys who would strip paint off walls at the boys for dropping a game.

I don't mind players mingling after games. Most have come through the systems together and know each other well. There's nothing you can do after the final whistle has gone. Not a good look after a heavy loss and the club and players soon found that out after the record loss to the Panthers in 2013. To be smiling and joking after a 62-6 thrashing is a hard pill for fans to swallow.

Thing is how do you recruit that mentality? Some have it but aren't wanted by fans like Elijah Taylor. Others have it but aren't good enough like James Taylor...

Sledge

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 10, 2016
I was never really a competitive sort of person. I reckon you either born with it or your not. Much happier to just have fun.

Personally I don't think you get anywhere near the NRL without being a competitor. Training and getting your ass kicked for a job isn't fun. Preseason isn't fun. Media and fan pressure isn't fun. Most these guys been training hard and doing the extras since they were 14-15. The Warriors U16 players are doing club training, school team (1st XIII or 1st XV) training, rep training as well as Warriors training on Wednesday. All that on top of school. Huge workload and sacrifice for a 15 year old. Talent will only get you so far.

When I think of genuine competitors you are looking at the usual suspects. Johnathan Thurston, James Graham, Sam Burgess, Cameron Smith, Billy Slater etc. Players that absolutely loathe losing. They're the ones that do the extras, chase the ball all day, tackle their guts out, put their bodies on the line. As far as the Warriors go I would say the only real ones in that top bracket are Simon Mannering, Ryan Hoffman and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. These are guys who train hard, play hard and are visibly shook after a loss. The last real agro competitor I remember in the team was Brent Tate and Steve Price. Guys who would strip paint off walls at the boys for dropping a game.

I don't mind players mingling after games. Most have come through the systems together and know each other well. There's nothing you can do after the final whistle has gone. Not a good look after a heavy loss and the club and players soon found that out after the record loss to the Panthers in 2013. To be smiling and joking after a 62-6 thrashing is a hard pill for fans to swallow.

Thing is how do you recruit that mentality? Some have it but aren't wanted by fans like Elijah Taylor. Others have it but aren't good enough like James Taylor...
I guess that's were experienced recruitment staff come in, that no what they are looking for and have processes;) . Also who's the hippy looking cu** as my avatar?

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings