General Warriors Where Are They Now 2023?

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
60. TERRY HERMANSSON
Last update

Our 2015 update was of no use. Believed to be living in Christchurch but that was all we could find.

2022 update is no different. He's on Facebook but doesnt post public much. Only thing I could was this 2019 post from the Waimairi Beach Golf Club Inc in Parklands, Christchurch.

UPDATE: Thanks to Akuma_81 we found an interview from the Sir Peter Leitch Facebook page from 2022 Warriors Old Boys day. Terry is working at the Lyttelton Wharf container terminal where he has been for 14 years.

Last edited:
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
61. MONTY BETHAM
Last update

Our last visit Monty Betham was running a boxing gym as well as his usual television appearances. It seems he's given up his boxing coaching and is now co-founder of a company called Indigo.

313998434 10229980667799412 5851504560086689624 n
313181379 10229980673799562 6643531700106759860 n

Now I've had a hard look at them and I cant for the life figure out what it is they do. It appears to be a business mentoring and networking company that runs a few different sites promoting small NZ businesses. The language they use is very confusing and comes across as verbose and full of puffery.

We are INDIGO: The innovation company arming you in the fight against the status quo. We are a tribe of disruptors who help you find and express your voice. So when you’re changing the world, people have no choice but to take notice.​

Innovate and grow

Innovation is growth. So we inspire you to disrupt your Performance Machine, and spark it into a beautiful Innovation Accelerator, that authentically serves your customers AND makes you money.​

Find your voice

When you proudly and boldly speak your truth, your audience will stand up and listen. They’ll see you’ve got the cure for their pain, and be drawn in. We’ve got the key to unlock that truth.​

Make it beautiful

We reinvent beauty for your audience. We intuitively understand what makes their pupils dilate, their hearts skip, their hair stand on end. So from logos to UI, we make every experience disruptively beautiful.​

Take it to the world

We’ve hacked the system, and manipulated every process, pattern, framework, and structure to work for you. So your brand will make a life-altering first impression that your audience cannot ignore.​

Monty is also of course hosting his own show on Sky TV called Once a Warrior as well as working on game day panels and commentary. Most of his show is uploaded on Youtube and Spotify.

Last edited:
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
62. CLIFF BEVERLEY
Last update

Cliff has moved on from Mondelez and is now working with Neill, Crooper & Co Ltd (NCCL).

Screenshot 20221105 202040
Screenshot 20221105 202222

NCCL have no online presence apart from LinkedIn where they direct you to the Bunderburg website. As per their LinkIn profile they are the NZ supplier of Bunderburg, Royal Crown and H2Coco Coconut Water.

314411996 10229990998257667 2840647260478093531 n

GD600 1600x680 Web Wide TGAB V1

Forgot to add that Cliff Beverley is also an ambassador since September 2019 for Physical Disability NZ Rugby League and helps with the national teams training. That team just came back from the RLWC2021.

Last edited:
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
63. PETER LEWIS
Last update

Last update we weren't able to find a single thing on Peter Lewis bar his outdated Wikipedia information.

Ive managed to track him down this time through Facebook which is a miracle considering how common his name is. Somebody had thankfully tagged him in a post about him making his debut for the Warriors.

Sent him a message and hope to get a reply but from what I can tell from his public posts he is a working at the Crudine Ridge Wind Farm and lives in Mudgee, NSW, Australia.

UPDATE: Got a reply from Peter. Information as below.

314633195 10230006781972250 6321155113568287994 n
314504009 10230006774332059 716961335311233462 n
314556710 10230006783532289 1490948564283370473 n
314505921 10230006783932299 2846749478524129139 n

Last edited:
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Last update

Wairangi is still working as a freelance broadcaster/journalist. He can be seen regularly on Crowd Goes Wild.

Big changes ahead for The Crowd Goes Wild

Melenie Parkes05:00, Feb 24 2022

Andrew Mulligan will continue to host the Monday show alongside Storm Purvis, with Mulligan and Taylor Curtis presenting Thursday’s instalment. James McOnie has moved into a producing role but will still do reporting and fill-in as host when required. Wairangi Koopu is also returning, as well as a few new faces.

*abridged

Wairangi also still plays touch, tag and just last year laced up the boots for his junior club Taniwharau.

191810658 4005523916197933 6408162443894975815 n

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
65. FRANCIS MELI
Last update

Back in 2015 Meli was only just being forced to retire from Salford Reds after yet another injury. He came back home and has been heavily involved in coaching from the Glenora Bears to the Marist Saints to Kelston Boys High to age group rep teams through the NZRL including an assistant coaching role for the Junior Kiwis.

According to an article from 2018 he was also doing paid community work for the NZ Police but I havent been able to conform that he's still doing it. Another article from 2016 stated he was working with Henderson police as a youth worker.

Once were Warriors: Life after league for some of Mt Smart's favourite sons​

JACKSON THOMAS 17:35, Jun 15 2018

After retiring in 2014 after a long stint in the Super League, Meli took some time off to "clear the head" before diving headfirst back into the game he loves.

Meli is employed by Police, and travels around schools speaking to students and running pathway programmes to encourage them to strive toward their goals.

He is also coaching the Kelston senior rugby league team – who are currently undefeated – under the watchful eye of sports coordinator and foundation Warrior Duane Mann.

"It was my partner who actually encouraged me to put my hand up at a grassroots level and try to give back. Rugby league gave me so much for so long, [so] it's nice to be able to give back through coaching and player development," he said.

"I've always been passionate about grassroots footy. This is where it all started for me. My goal is to of course progress into the professional coaching ranks at some stage and in October I will finish my final coaching course.

"I feel I have a lot to give in terms of my knowledge of the game, the fundamentals especially."

Rugby league star Francis Meli now coaching at the Glenora Bears​

Simon Smith16:18, Jan 28 2016
The Glenora Bears clubrooms are now inhabited by Francis Meli.

Meli says he chose to coach at Glenora rather than his old club Marist as he is now living in the area and working with the Henderson police as a youth worker.

The coaching and his job tie in together, he says.

"It's a no-brainer to look after my own backyard."

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
66. CLINTON TOOPI
Last update

When we last looked at Clinton Toopi he was doing youth programs as a Titans Ambassador. These days he is still doing the same thing but with the NRL while still involved with the Preston Cambell Foundation.

CLINTON TOOPI /​

toopi-c.jpg

Fast facts​

• Born in Stratford, New Zealand and raised in Auckland, New Zealand
  • Debuted with the NZ Warriors in 1999
  • Played with the NZ Warriors for eight seasons
  • Played in the 2002 NRL Grand Final against Sydney Roosters
  • Played for the Gold Coast Titans from 2010-2011
  • Played more than 150 career games
  • Captained the NZ Maori team in 2010
  • Played for the New Zealand Kiwis from 2000-2007
  • Represented New Zealand in more than 20 international games
  • Retired from professional rugby league in 2011
  • NRL Ambassador from 2016-2017
  • NRL Community Program Deliverer since 2018

Fun facts​

• Favourite NRL team: Vodafone Warriors and Gold Coast Titans
  • Career ambition as a kid: A professional NRL player
  • Favourite food: Anything healthy, from fruit, to veges and protein
  • Spirit animal: A lion
  • What's on TV (when the footy isn't on): A program that will inspire me

Biography​

Starting junior league at just seven years old, Clinton Toopi was introduced to the game by his father, a local junior league coach, and has loved the sport ever since.

Born and raised in New Zealand, Clinton debuted with the NZ Warriors in 1999 and completed eight seasons with the side, including the 2002 NRL grand final clash against the Sydney Roosters.

Inspired most by the seniors at his local junior club, Mt Wellington Warriors, Clinton challenged himself to play with the passion and aggression they showed, giving him the edge he needed to make the NRL.

After playing eight seasons with the Warriors, Clinton tested his skills in rugby union, before returning to rugby league in 2010, playing for the Gold Coast Titans in 2011.

In 2017 Clinton was inducted as a NRL Ambassador after his existing involvement in the Queensland State of Mind program and in 2018 will transition to the role of NRL Community Program Deliverers.

"I want to educate, inspire and connect people who are involved in our game, especially women. I also want to help our young junior players have a deeper understanding and connectedness to their emotional, physical and mental worth," said Clinton.
"I have a genuine passion and interest to drive change through our NRL State of Mind and Voice Against Violence programs. I enjoy delivering powerful messages and connecting with our communities."

Passionate about health and reducing obesity, type 2 diabetes and heart-related disease in Australia, Clinton founded Fabruary, a not-for-profit organisation that empowers and educates Australians to make smarter choices when it comes to food, beverages and exercise.

Clinton lives in Maudsland, Queensland with his family of four, where he continues his work for Fabruary, serves as an ambassador for the Preston Campbell Foundation and is a personal trainer at a local studio.

I havent been able to track down which gym he is a personal trainer at and Fabruary havent been active across their social media sites since 2017.

Clinton has made it no secret that he one day hopes to coach the Warriors and after a few stints coaching age grade rep and Grade A teams he will be a head coach in 2023 with Beenleigh Pride.

Screenshot 2022 11 07 31853 AM
311866501 538501034944568 4880383474008272017 n

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
67. CARL DOHERTY
Last update

Carl Doherty still owns Euro Optics in Auckland.

Screenshot 2022 11 07 33844 AM

AboutAbout​

I’m an entrepreneurial and commercial professional with 19+ years’ experience growing sales volume, revenue, gross margin, profitability and market share in consumer products in New Zealand across business and sales leadership roles as an employee and owner. I listen and value other people’s ideas and have developed a reputation for enhancing work environments and improving company culture.

I have experience with building sales teams and establishing/maintaining a customer base of independent and key accounts and am knowledgeable in all areas of new product development. With governance capability of a business I ensure it can be run efficiently while optimising performance. I can be called upon to increase market share, develop a new product in a market and provide leadership, management and strategic direction. I also have experience managing all aspects of operations, logistics and supplier procurement.

With an energetic, engaging and positive approach I’ve led teams with a hands-on mentality guaranteeing motivated team members and business partners. Aiming to be inspiring, fun and fair, I add value to an organisation and treat others with compassion. I would never ask anyone to do something that I was not prepared to do myself.

Achieving 1st 2nd or 3rd place in global sales per capita for adidas eyewear consistently over a 19 year period is a personal highlight for me and demonstrates my determination. I believe in getting the job done no matter what is required and to go above and beyond what I’m expected to deliver. I created a customer base, managed the sales team, key accounts, distribution and operations, ensured the brand and product were presented in market in line with international guide-lines and provided full marketing oversight and responsibility for New Zealand, including sponsorship of athletes, teams and events, engaging local New Zealand hero’s (assets) in global campaigns including All Blacks, Olympic athletes and New Zealand cricketers.

As a driven, results-focused leader, I gain great satisfaction from building relationships with customers, building brands, developing new products and planning strategically to bring it together and deliver outcomes for all parties.

Apart from my family, my greatest achievement would have to be running a business for over 20 years during times of massive changes within the eyewear industry and being able to pivot and adapt when required.

Screenshot 2022 11 07 34013 AM

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
68. ROBBIE MEARS
Last update

Robbie Mears was a police officer in NSW in 2015 and had just retired from league playing his last game for the national police team.

Mears was appointed the Wests Tigers Harold Matthews Head Coach job just two months ago.

Wests Tigers appoint 2022 Junior Representative coaches

Dan Talintyre
Wed 29 Sep 2021, 04:07 PM

Wests Tigers have today confirmed a number of new appointments for its 2022 junior representative programs across the Balmain, Western Suburbs and Macarthur competitions.
With increased focus and commitment to the pathways programs at the club, Wests Tigers are pleased to welcome on board a number of new coaches with experience of what is required to succeed at the next level as well as coaches with a strong development focus.

The club’s seven junior representative teams will be supported by NRL Premiership-winning halfback Brett Kimmorley, Balmain legend Paul Sironen and Wests local Shannon Gallant, who are all employed in full-time roles with Wests Tigers.

At Western Suburbs, Joey Saukuru bolsters the SG Ball squad coaching staff with successful Harold Matthews Coach Nathan Lakeman coming on board as his assistant.

Former Wests Tigers hooker and Campbelltown junior Robert Mears returns to the club as Head Coach of the Harold Matthews side — aided by experienced assistants Stephen Isdale and Shayne McMenemy.

Robert Mears celebrates a try for Wests Tigers during his playing days.
Robert Mears celebrates a try for Wests Tigers during his playing days.©NRL Photos

Balmain will retain Scott Kenna as its SG Ball Coach with Kenna’s Assistant Coach from 2021, Christopher Crotty, moving to Head Coach of the Harold Matthews side.

HAROLD MATTHEWS CUP​

Robert Mears — Head Coach

Stephen Isdale — Assistant Coach

Shayne McMenemy — Assistant Coach

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
69. JOHN SIMON
Last update

Another one of our ghosts in the last update. Name was too common to get any hits unfortunately.

This one took so long to piece together but thanks to The Parra Cave podcast I was able to give a very recent update on him.

0.47 mins Warriors move
1.03 mins Post football​

John has worked for Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ) since 2007 in the Child Protection, Intensive Family Based Services and Cultural Support programs. Between 2016 and 2019 he was Deputy Chair of the NSW Community Services Aboriginal Reference Group (ARG) and is a current sitting ARG member, which is the key consultation group for DCJ Aboriginal policies and service direction.

Govt nsw doj

About us​

The Department of Communities and Justice works with children, adults, families and communities to deliver services with a unified and collaborative approach with the objective of achieving a vibrant, sustainable and inclusive community.

Him and his wife have also started a business last year along those lines called Australian Aboriginal Child and Family Services (AACFS).

Screenshot 2022 11 10 14118 PM

AACAFS is an Aboriginal led, managed, self-determining not-for-profit organisation.

Established in 2021, AACAFS purpose is to support, care for and protect vulnerable and at-risk Aboriginal children and families.

Our focus is improving the welfare and wellbeing of Aboriginal children, young people and families through the empowerment that comes from self-determination and culturally responsible support.
To do this, AACAFS will:
  • Deliver a range of integrated and intensive family services and out-of-home care for Aboriginal children, young people, and families underpinned by connection, culture, kinship, belonging and empowerment.
  • Provide national leadership and advocacy to unpack, dismantle and decolonise legislative and policy systems and structures, including child protection, out-of-home care and child welfare, that perpetuate the disempowerment and disadvantage of Aboriginal children, young people and families. We are committed to speaking truth to power.
  • Maintain a strong voice that promotes policies and service system responses that are Aboriginal led and value, respect, and promote the cultural practices and knowledge needed to nourish healthy and thriving Aboriginal children, young people, and families.

He owns a company called Jaccka Pty Ltd which I believe is the company that owns the Subway franchise he is owner/operator of. He has owned that Subway franchise for the last 18 years in Kiama, New South Wales.

Screenshot 2022 11 10 13312 PM
314383547 10230035502210238 2296096003508577354 n
Screenshot 2022 11 10 12452 PM

John is also the current Chair of Australian Indigenous Oztag and has been since 2017.

45386003 965565156966114 3977453811349323776 n

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
70. BOYCIE NELSON

As with our 2015 visit Boycie Nelson is still a police officer in Auckland and has now made Sergeant.

Car thieves preying on diners get pricked in Operation Cactus

JOHN WEEKES
14:33, Dec 10 2019
If you're the owner of one of these phones and call your own number, Avondale Tactical Crime Unit might answer.

POLICE
If you're the owner of one of these phones and call your own number, Avondale Tactical Crime Unit might answer.

Police have arrested 17 people after central Auckland motorists were getting robbed when out dining.

"Our intelligence showed there had been an increase in vehicle crime ... with valuable items being stolen out of parked cars while owners dined at nearby restaurants," Sergeant Boycie Nelson of Avondale Tactical Crime Unit said.

The police unit launched Operation Cactus, targeting car crime in Balmoral.

Avondale Tactical Crime Unit recovered a stash of stolen goods including phones, bags and chargers from thieves who targeted restaurant patrons.

POLICE

Avondale Tactical Crime Unit recovered a stash of stolen goods including phones, bags and chargers from thieves who targeted restaurant patrons.

Police recovered mobile phones, a laptop, jewellery, adaptors and other stolen property.

Operation Cactus lasted for four days, Nelson said.

Apart from the 17 arrests, police made 322 vehicle stops and carried out 81 bail checks.

Police released pictures of the stolen property on Tuesday, urging any victims to phone police on 105 or visit Avondale police station.

Nelson said removing highly valuable items from cars or keeping expensive items hidden made cars less attractive to thieves.

Police data for the year ending in August showed all nationwide theft victimisations increased 3.2 per cent from the year before.

There were 28,513 complaints about theft of car parts or vehicle contents reported in those statistics.

35972480 10156658965218680 7955979109664817152 n

UPDATE 06/12/22

Thanks to Cces we have a solid update for you. Boycie Nelson is part of the Canterbury Tactical Crime Unit.

Last edited:
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
71. TALITE LIAVA'A
Last update

As with our 2015 update Talite Liava'a is still a firefighter but is now stationed in St Heliers, Auckland instead of Palmerston North.

Found an article on the New Zealand Fire Service website that mentions him getting a scholarship.

Scholarship recipients named

Published: 02/09/2020

Congratulations to the recipients of the 2019/20 Firefighters’ Scholarship and Len Doughty Fellowship.
  • Firefighters’ Scholarship: SO Talite Liaava, St. Heliers Station, Te Hiku
  • Len Doughty Fellowship: FRMO (Secondment) Nick Linton, Waitemata Area, Te Hiku
Firefighters-scholarship.JPG

Firefighters’ Scholarship
The Firefighters’ Scholarship provides an opportunity to research, study or undertake a project that is relevant to Fire and Emergency's strategic plan, or that demonstrates innovative approaches to contributing to the welfare of the organisation. Personnel eligible for this opportunity are career firefighters and officers (up to and including Senior Station Officers) who have a minimum of five years of service, and Comcen Communicators, Senior Communicators and Shift Managers who have a minimum of five years of service. The project can be done here in New Zealand or overseas.

The recipient of the 2019/20 Firefighters’ Scholarship is Station Officer Talite Liavaa, who will undertake an international study into ‘Personal Accountability at Greater Alarms’. Talite intends to visit brigades in the USA and England to observe international accountability tools and processes for all personnel at greater alarm incidents.

Heres the most recent picture I could of him from May, 2021...

182895472 4022093894547762 4728955232872961332 n

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
72. SCOTT PETHYBRIDGE
Last update

Pethybridge was coaching Narrabeen Sharks A Grade team when we last visited in 2015. From what I could find he did a bit more coaching with Craig Gower at Peninsula Seagulls which is a club his father Gary Pethybridge help found. We werent able to confirm any new coaching roles.

Found it almost impossible to track down what he does for work but according to his Wikipedia page he was involved with horse racing post footy and we were able to Google a few horses he had part ownership in.

BRENT STANLEY SINGS PRAISES OF ATOMIC KITTEN IN WINNING RETURN​

April 13, 2017 4:46 pm.
Daryl Curnow
Atomic Kitten
Atomic Kitten gave Brent Stanley his first winner for over a year when winning at Kilmore on Thursday
FORMER Caulfield Cup-winning jockey turned trainer Brent Stanley scored his first success in over a year after spending nine months on the sidelines.

The talented horseman was outed for his involvement in the illegal sale of a racehorse last year, but he returned to winning form at Kilmore on Thursday with three-year-old filly Atomic Kitten.

The daughter of Northern Meteor produced a strong turn-of-foot to win at odds of $10 and Stanley was happy to reward his loyal owners and long-time friends Scott Pethybridge and the Gillards.

“First winner back was a great relief and a great result for the clients that have stuck solid through my period of being out,” Stanley told horsebetting.com.au.

“Scott Pethybridge is my best mate, he’s been a mate for 21 years now. Steve Gillard became a very close friend and his wife and kids and my wife and kids became close – we’ve had great success together.”

The well-bred filly was an expensive purchase which spent time with Leon and Troy Corstens this season before arriving back into Stanley’s Sutton Grange-based stables.

“I bought her as a yearling at the Easter Sale two years ago – paid $360,000 for her,” Stanley said.

“She was with me to the day I got time, then she went to Troy and Leon Corstens. They went through the preparation before she arrived back to me after her last start.

“I’ve just gotten her ready for today and it was good to get a result out of it.”

Stanley believed it only needed time and a change in scenery to show its best after three moderate runs to begin its career.

“She was a time horse, she’s still six months away from maturing into a nice mare,” he said. “She needs further distance.

“She’s improved fitness wise and she just got back to a place where she’s comfortable – that made her relax and let her perform today.”

The future looks bright for Atomic Kitten which attract plenty of attention as a broodmare if it lives up to expectations this spring and into next autumn.

“She’s a very valuable broodmare, she’s very well bred and she’s a full sister to Fighting Sun, she’s got the pedigree page,” Stanley said.

“We’ve got to protect that a little bit, so the main thing was to let everyone know she could gallop which she’s done now.

“Training for people who breed – you have to try get a city win and/or stakes win or placing, so I’ll work out where she’ll go through the spring and autumn next season.”

Stanley was seen purchasing some rich yearlings at the 2017 Easter Sale and he came away with some promising types.

“I bought four horses,” Stanley said. “I paid $1.5 million for a Fastnet Rock filly, $500,000 for a Snitzel filly, $350,000 for a Redoute’s Choice colt and $200,000 for a Zoustar colt.

“The sale was good to me. I’ve got great clients, great support and hopefully we can keep the results going.”

Super Debut For Icantoo​

06 May 2020

We were absolutely thrilled to open Day 2 of the Warrnambool Racing Club Carnival with a victory for a lovely 2yo filly we took to the races for the first time.

Icantoo, a $155k purchase at New Zealand Bloodstock purchased by Troy who fell in love with her, headed to The Bool with some very good trial form under her belt and started Fav in the opener on Cup Day.

She settled well back from her wide draw but Craig Williams kept his poise and obviously knew what he had under him. He circumnavigated the field and loomed up ominously as they cornered. The leader and ultimate 2nd placegetter still had a lot to offer but Icantoo dropped into another gear and mowed it down to score a soft win.

Having the toughest run in the race and winning the way she did just franked our opinion she will make it into a top notch racehorse in the future.

The daughter of Per Incanto is owned by former NRL star Scott Pethybridge in conjunction with Ben Riddle, George Lygoyris, Nick Sutton, Rhett Tregunna and Shane & Rebecca Morrissy who were over the moon to have had their first ever Warrnambool Carnival winner!

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
72. SCOTT PETHYBRIDGE
Last update

Pethybridge was coaching Narrabeen Sharks A Grade team when we last visited in 2015. From what I could find he did a bit more coaching with Craig Gower at Peninsula Seagulls which is a club his father Gary Pethybridge help found. We werent able to confirm any new coaching roles.

Found it almost impossible to track down what he does for work but according to his Wikipedia page he was involved with horse racing post footy and we were able to Google a few horses he had part ownership in.

BRENT STANLEY SINGS PRAISES OF ATOMIC KITTEN IN WINNING RETURN​

April 13, 2017 4:46 pm.
Daryl Curnow
Atomic Kitten
Atomic Kitten gave Brent Stanley his first winner for over a year when winning at Kilmore on Thursday
FORMER Caulfield Cup-winning jockey turned trainer Brent Stanley scored his first success in over a year after spending nine months on the sidelines.

The talented horseman was outed for his involvement in the illegal sale of a racehorse last year, but he returned to winning form at Kilmore on Thursday with three-year-old filly Atomic Kitten.

The daughter of Northern Meteor produced a strong turn-of-foot to win at odds of $10 and Stanley was happy to reward his loyal owners and long-time friends Scott Pethybridge and the Gillards.

“First winner back was a great relief and a great result for the clients that have stuck solid through my period of being out,” Stanley told horsebetting.com.au.

“Scott Pethybridge is my best mate, he’s been a mate for 21 years now. Steve Gillard became a very close friend and his wife and kids and my wife and kids became close – we’ve had great success together.”

The well-bred filly was an expensive purchase which spent time with Leon and Troy Corstens this season before arriving back into Stanley’s Sutton Grange-based stables.

“I bought her as a yearling at the Easter Sale two years ago – paid $360,000 for her,” Stanley said.

“She was with me to the day I got time, then she went to Troy and Leon Corstens. They went through the preparation before she arrived back to me after her last start.

“I’ve just gotten her ready for today and it was good to get a result out of it.”

Stanley believed it only needed time and a change in scenery to show its best after three moderate runs to begin its career.

“She was a time horse, she’s still six months away from maturing into a nice mare,” he said. “She needs further distance.

“She’s improved fitness wise and she just got back to a place where she’s comfortable – that made her relax and let her perform today.”

The future looks bright for Atomic Kitten which attract plenty of attention as a broodmare if it lives up to expectations this spring and into next autumn.

“She’s a very valuable broodmare, she’s very well bred and she’s a full sister to Fighting Sun, she’s got the pedigree page,” Stanley said.

“We’ve got to protect that a little bit, so the main thing was to let everyone know she could gallop which she’s done now.

“Training for people who breed – you have to try get a city win and/or stakes win or placing, so I’ll work out where she’ll go through the spring and autumn next season.”

Stanley was seen purchasing some rich yearlings at the 2017 Easter Sale and he came away with some promising types.

“I bought four horses,” Stanley said. “I paid $1.5 million for a Fastnet Rock filly, $500,000 for a Snitzel filly, $350,000 for a Redoute’s Choice colt and $200,000 for a Zoustar colt.

“The sale was good to me. I’ve got great clients, great support and hopefully we can keep the results going.”

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
73. IVAN CLEARY
Pretty sure I dont even need to do this but just incase you have been living under a rock or in a coma for the last few years Ivan Cleary is the Head Coach of the Penrith Panthers and has taken them to the last 3 Grand Finals and won the last 2...

64746658 team photo panthers celebrate 211003 0gt 9904 202110319458
9d80a3ed03e21c72d14e2c78a37b5953

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
74. MATT SPENCE
Last update

Last update we had absolutely nothing and I'm afraid this time is the same. Only clue we could work with was an entry in his Wikipedia profile that had Spence as the player-coach for his junior club the Turangi Dambusters in the Bay of Plenty premier competition in 2009 and 2010. The citation provided led me to the following article that mentions him doing youth work.

Star Spence in roving Dambusters role​

Rotorua Daily Post
13 Jul, 2009 05:00 PM

Working with youth is his vocation now. He's a solo father of two boys aged under 7 and many of his football side are teenagers.

"Football and a bit of hunting, that's the main reason I moved back home, just to relax a bit," Spence said shortly after his side's 36-14 loss to Pikiao in Rotorua on Saturday.

"I kept away from football when the kids were young but now they're playing junior football."
Spence has been back in Turangi since he retired from professional football just over seven years ago but he still displays the nose of someone who has played at the higher levels.

*abridged

Have reached out to a mate that lives in Turangi so fingers crossed we can get some word back.

UPDATE: Got a reply from my mate. He happens to work with a good mate of Matts. He is living just outside Turangi in Waihi Village and is a youth worker in the area...

Last edited:
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
75. SCOTT COXON
Last update

We last had him as either working in the mines or as a mechanic. Havent been able to find anything but have sent him a message via Messenger so hopefully we get a reply...

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
76. MARK TOOKEY
Last update

As per our last update Tookey is still involved with sport and fitness. He runs a company called Big Tooks Sports and as his LinkIn profile says "Big Tooks Sports is a business that does anything to do with sports. From personal training , bootcamps to coaching!"

314011812 10230047206142829 444021018355654124 n

You can visit his website and see for yourself all the events he organises and is involved with. Far too many to cover here...

Screenshot 2022 11 12 84735 AM

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
77. DAVID MYLES
Last update

He has stopped his Business Mentoring and Coaching consultancy and is concentrating on his business Gutter Knight which has blown up since our last update to become Australias leading gutter protection system.

315110617 10230047333346009 403391316942451165 n
315310093 10230047333786020 1405918814400830172 n
314071176 10230047334266032 793408160972767494 n

Logo 01
Slider1

Gutter Knight is a locally owned and run business which provides high quality, value for money gutter guard and leaf guard solutions for residential through to commercial applications. All gutter leaf guard products are Australian made and pass through many strict Quality Control processes to ensure the highest quality material available. Founded on old fashioned work ethics and values, you can be assured that no short cuts are ever taken and every small detail is dealt with and accounted for.

Your gutter guard will be installed by an experienced technician who has gone through a strict in-house training program. They will explain to you in plain English all details of what the gutter protection installation process is so you know 'exactly' what you are getting. From start to finish you can expect first class service. The friendly technician will meet you onsite on time and will listen to what you require. They will answer any questions that you may have about the process and will suggest some options and ideas for not just a new leaf guard, but aspects such as how to prevent foliage falling there in the first place, to assist you in making your decision for your individual circumstances. You can be assured you will be offered 'real personalised advice' that is right for you.

Unlike other companies offering gutter protection, Gutter Knight not only guarantees its product but also importantly their workmanship.

I'll post an interview about the franchise side of his business in his player discussion thread as its quite lengthy but here is the link if you want to read it...

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
78. PAUL WHATUIRA
Last update

No longer a personal trainer in Sydney. Paul has come home and is running training programs in schools, courses and online both here and Australia through his company Internal Strength.
245412472 1798440523681067 8665141529607480966 n

LET US GIVE YOU THE TOOLS YOU NEED TO START LIVING YOUR BEST LIFE TODAY.​

Internal Strength will give you the motivation and skills you need to be able to rewrite your story, build self-confidence and set personal goals that will help you break your cycle and start living your best life, today.

What We Do​

The 10 Step Programme is the foundation of everything we do here at Internal Strength. Having been delivered to thousands of people across both Australia and New Zealand, we can facilitate in-person group sessions or online via our website right here. Additionally, we can modify the programme to suit difference industries, circumstances and wellness situations. See below for alternative access to the Internal Strength Programme:

We Coach.​

We give leaders and managers the skills needed to recognise unwellness in others and help motivate them and their employees to take control of their future knowing their health and wellbeing is valued by the organisations they work for. We can then help them to begin rewriting their life stories.

We Speak.​

We all sometimes need that extra bit of motivation and inspiration. Paul will spend time one-on-one developing a session specifically with you, whether thats for yourself, your team or your whanau. All based on your highest wellness needs.

We Connect.​

This is the full Internal Strength course delivered in person by Paul and his team of facilitators but done in groups of like minded people – be it sectors of business, educators, health workers, professionals or schools.