General Warriors Where Are They Now 2023?

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
20. WILLIE POCHING
Last update

Currently unemployed after being let go by Wakefield Trinity as their Head Coach.

Super League: Willie Poching departs as Wakefield Trinity head coach​

Last Updated: 12/09/22 1:32pm
Willie Poching has left his position as Wakefield's head coach

Willie Poching and assistant coach Francis Cummins are both leaving Wakefield following the conclusion of the Betfred Super League regular season; The former Trinity captain had been in charge, initially on an interim basis, since August last year​

Willie Poching has left his position as head coach of Wakefield Trinity, the Betfred Super League club have announced.

The former Trinity captain took charge of the club in August last year following the departure of Chris Chester, initially on an interim basis before being confirmed as Chester's successor the following month.

However, Wakefield once again found themselves embroiled in the battle to avoid relegation in 2022 and while they were able to secure their Super League status - finishing 10th ahead of Warrington Wolves and relegated Toulouse Olympique - Poching will now be leaving the Be Well Support Stadium along with assistant Francis Cummins.

"When we appointed Willie as head coach, the nature of the arrangement was that we would review the position in 12 months' time," Wakefield chairman John Minards said.

"Having reached the end of the 2022 playing season and secured our Super League status, the Board have carefully considered all aspects of the past 12 months and decided that we need a change in our coaching set-up as we move forward.

"These decisions are never easy and this one is particularly difficult given the tremendous effort, passion and energy Willie and Franny have both brought to the club.

"Willie Poching will always be a legend at Wakefield Trinity and I am personally very grateful for the way he has conducted himself in sometimes very difficult circumstances. Both he and Franny leave with our very best wishes for the future."

Poching is the second Super League head coach to depart following the conclusion of the regular season, with Hull FC boss Brett Hodgson leaving his post last week and being replaced by Tony Smith.

The 49-year-old, who played for Wakefield from 1999 to 2001, has held assistant coach positions under Smith during his tenures in charge at Warrington Wolves and Hull Kingston Rovers. He has also spent time as an assistant coach with the New Zealand national team.

Poching had already been planning for the 2023 season following Trinity assuring themselves of a place in Super League for next year with last month's 18-6 victory over Hull Kingston Rovers.

"There's a tinge of relief and a bit of finality," Poching said following that win. "We can start the planning process for next season with some assurity."

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
21.LOGAN EDWARDS
Last update

During our 2015 update Logan Edwards was a prison guard in Christchurch. According to the close mutual friend he has retired from the prison game and now a stay at home dad to his two young children.

Will update this when I find out more information...

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
22. JOHN KIRWAN
Last update

Kirwan was the Auckland Blues coach during our last update but since being let go he is working mostly on mental health but also does commentary for SKY TV and helps run a family business importing Italian wines.

Kirwan works with mental health on two fronts. First is his company GROOV which works with workplace mental health.

John Kirwan
Screenshot 2022 10 27 104624 PM

Sir John Kirwan, or JK as we know him, is a globally recognised mental health advocate, author, entrepreneur, and a rugby legend. He's the co-founder of Groov, a leading workplace wellbeing platform. Groov's mission is to improve the wellbeing of 100 million people and save 100,000 lives. Groov bakes wellbeing into the DNA of a workplace and supports people to feel good and function well.

In 2012, JK was knighted for his services to mental health – an honour he strives to live up to every day. He’s long been at the forefront of public campaigns about mental wellbeing. JK began sharing his personal story of depression at a time when there was a lot of stigma. His vulnerability paves the way for people to talk about their own experiences.

Many people also know JK as a sporting legend. He played 63 test matches for the All Blacks from 1984 to 1994 and was part of the winning 1987 Rugby World Cup team. He also played for the Warriors and had success as a rugby coach, including on the international stage with Italy and Japan.

JK is a family man who likes nothing better than to surf, cook, and make a perfect cup of coffee. He lives in Auckland with his wife, Fiorella. They have three children, now grown and pursuing their dreams throughout the world.

Heres some of what they do.

Welcome to Embed by Groov​

The experts at Groov developed Embed to successfully bake a culture of wellbeing into workplaces. Embed is an evidence-based approach that focuses on action and behaviour change.

The tailored programme includes six key elements that target all levels of an organisation. Together they create a blueprint for lasting, sustained change.

Embed empowers everyone to play a role in creating a wellbeing culture that sticks, instead of just relying on the HR lead or wellbeing manager.

Lift your workplace into the new era of wellbeing with Embed.

The front he works on is the John Kirwan Foundation. Heres what they do.

Screenshot 2022 10 27 105107 PM

Mitey is our response to the alarming number of children experiencing mental health issues in New Zealand. One in five will experience mental health issues before they turn 18.

Even those who are otherwise happy, will need skills and knowledge to successfully deal with pressures related to peers, family, relationships, and their place in the world.

At the Foundation we believe that embedding mental health education in both teaching and learning will play a key part in turning our mental health statistics around.

We want to ensure schools have the resources and support they need to equip future generations of New Zealanders with the ability to safeguard and nurture their own mental wellbeing while helping others do the same.

Most will know that Kirwan has been a regular guest on SKY TV as a rugby pundit. A role he has had since 2016.

Sir John Kirwan joins Sky Sports rugby team

08:22, May 11 2016​

Sir John Kirwan is the latest former All Black to join SkySport's rugby team.

Sir John Kirwan is the latest former All Black to join SkySport's rugby team.

Beleaguered former Blues coach Sir John Kirwan says he's looking forward to a new challenge as he joins Sky Sport's rugby presentation team.

Working alongside the likes of Jeff Wilson, Justin Marshall and Ian Jones, Sir John will be on the panel for live Super Rugby matches and New Zealand-based Rugby Championship games, as well as the upcoming three-test series between the All Blacks and Wales.

"I've been out of the game for six months now, so I'm looking forward to getting back in and having a bit of a banter with some of the older players," says Sir John. "I'm sort of a generation detached from Marshy and Jeff and that, but I know them pretty well. Kamo's more my era. And Pod Turner, so there's a few around that are from my era. It'll be good fun."

Sir John Kirwan says he'd love his Sky Sports role to branch out to include the pay TV broadcaster's league coverage.

Sir John Kirwan says he'd love his Sky Sports role to branch out to include the pay TV broadcaster's league coverage.

Following his resignation from the Blues in June last year, Sir John spent time at the Rugby World Cup, during which he was part of the Sky Sport Italy rugby team, with whom he has been working for the last decade.

"Since the Blues, I've been at the World Cup, so I spent the whole of the World Cup over there. I was mainly based in Milan and I'd go across for the odd weekend. I had a really fantastic final. I was with Alessandro Del Piero, who's one of the Italians' biggest soccer players, and he loves rugby, so he did comments with me during the World Cup, which was outstanding.

Sir John Kirwan played 63 times for the All Blacks between 1984 and 1994.

Sir John Kirwan played 63 times for the All Blacks between 1984 and 1994.

"I'm part of the Sky rugby team in Italy, and I'm still doing a little bit. I've got a Super Rugby TV programme on Italian television every Tuesday night. Sky Sport New Zealand is new, but I've been doing Sky Sport Italy for probably the last 10 years."

Working for the Sky Sport New Zealand rugby team might be new for Sir John, but he's already keen to expand his presenting role into the other oval-ball game – if they'll have him that is.

"I'd love too!" he enthuses, when asked if Sky Sport might ever get him to do a bit of rugby league presenting as well. "The Warriors are my team! I grew up around rugby league, my father was a leaguey and the Mad Butcher's one of my best mates. I played for the Warriors for two years, absolutely loved it, and I'm a very keen Warriors fan, so if they were nice enough to invite me I'd love to. Obviously the Warriors are having a bit of a hard time at the moment, but hopefully they'll bounce back and win a couple and get back into contention for the top eight."

Warriors aside, Sir John says he's obviously still following his other favourite team quite closely too.

"At the end of the day, I'm still a really proud Aucklander, and the Blues are my team. I think they've had a good win away, they got the monkey off their back last week, and I've seen them making good improvements so I think they'll slowly get better – I think Tana's doing a good job."

Kirwan is also a Westpac ambassador along with Ritchie McCaw, Sophie Pascoe and Willie Apiata.

Screenshot 2022 10 27 110019 PM

And finally we get to the family business called JK14 Wines

Screenshot 2022 10 27 110725 PM

Our story​

I’ve been having a love affair in Italy, and so far it’s lasted 30 years. It’s okay, my wife knows all about it, and she understands. After all, she loves Treviso as much as I do, since she was born there.

Treviso is unbelievable. The region is like a compact sampler of all that is the best of Italy. My first visit, I remember thinking, “This is a far cry from dad’s butchery back in Mangere.”

Climbing the hill near our house, I could look across and see the homes of bright Pinot Grigios, full Merlots, and Proseccos that make Champagne seem dull.

I want to share what I found with my friends and family back here in NZ… and hey, anyone else who wants a taste of something special. I hope you fall in love with Treviso as much as I have.

John Kirwan

[PARSEHTML]
<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/164926446?h=cc48f2b7d5" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="https://vimeo.com/164926446">JK14</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user51737285">JK14 Wines</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
[/PARSEHTML]​

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
23. ANDY PLATT
Last update

Andy Platt has sold the motel he owned with his wife in Mackay, Australia. Now living the retired life 4 and half hours up the road in Townsville. Heres an excerpt from an interview he did in April 2022.

What took you to Australia and are you in touch with any old rugby friends?

I knew I wasn’t going to be involved in the game, so my partner and I looked long term and decided our future was going to be in Australia. I live in Townsville and play golf with a lot of ex-players. Neil Holding and I played an off-season at Wests in Brisbane in 1985, and I still see some of them. Andy Goodway lives at Tweed Heads, and I see him when I visit my mother-in-law. He’s always at the same coffee shop at the same time because he’s so set in his ways!

Lastest publicly available picture from December 2020...

132206333 10223060864577683 5760348686028991047 n

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
24. STACEY JONES
Last update

As we all know as of 2 months ago he was the interim Warriors Head Coach after Nathan Brown was fired quit. We'll have to update this post in the 2023 season to see if he remains on the staff under new coach Andrew Webster.

Screenshot 2022 10 27 115917 PM

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
25. MIKE DORREEN
Last update

We had Mike as a painter in our last update but according to this article he is actually a plasterer

These days Dorreen is working as a plasterer – a trade he has been in for the past 25 years – and is currently sporting a somewhat intimidating horseshoe moustache.

“I just grew this because the daughter is getting boyfriends and I’m trying to scare them away.”

Mike doreen

Zoomed into the pic above to read the company name of his shirt and found his website for Precision Plastering based in Waimate, Canterbury, New Zealand.

Also found an entry that had him and his wife as owners but that the company had been dissolved.

Screenshot 2022 10 28 122937 AM

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
26. RICHIE BLACKMORE
Last update

We had him listed as a coach last time when he was coaching Papakura Sea Eagles. In 2018 he coached Mangere East Hawks. These days he's doing very well as a real estate agent with his wife. He first started at Ray White Drury from 2017-2020 before joining Bayleys Papakura.

Screenshot 2022 10 28 124837 AM

About Richie​

Working together for the betterment of people and property is Felicity and Richie Blackmore’s catch phrase. For this husband and wife team going above and beyond their clients’ expectations is standard. It’s no surprise that achieving outstanding results that defy the market norm are also standard for this successful team. In just three months they have sold over $12 million worth of property.

The Blackmores arrived to real estate with impressive credentials. Richie had a glittering career as a Kiwi rugby league representative followed by a coaching stint that saw him win three premierships with three different clubs. Richie knows what it takes to succeed and his never-quit attitude invariably pays dividends for the buyers and sellers he works alongside to help them achieve their goals.

Felicity brings to her real estate career a background in social work in South Auckland. She also spent seven years as a Pastoral Care Manager assisting international students, schools and homestay families. It is this caring ability to make a positive difference in people’s lives that Felicity brings to property. High levels of empathy and client care are her speciality.

Felicity and Richie pride themselves on always giving 100% and working extremely hard to achieve the best possible result for their clients. As a team they have earned a reputation as smart, personable and highly driven agents who get results. With a talent for excellent communication and an ability to quickly establish rapport and build trust they are able to get alongside their clients, find out what it is they want to achieve then help make it happen!

Both Richie and Felicity genuinely love the real estate business and have an attitude of constant improvement. This involves reading and researching daily, and constantly engaging with both the city council and industry experts to stay abreast of the latest trends and upcoming developments. Coupled with years of on-the-ground industry experience and extensive skills in negotiation they offer huge expertise. The Blackmores have now become known as South Auckland lifestyle and residential property experts, the go-to agents for those looking to sell or buy in the area.

Away from the office, Richie and Felicity take every opportunity they get to travel and visit their children and grandchildren. They are heavily engaged in the local community, with involvement in several sporting organisations as well as the Maori Pasifika Alliance Networking Hub.

If you’re looking for a solution-focused no-nonsense approach to selling your property for the best possible result then give Felicity and Richie a call today.

309704333 3176201866043954 673280875593726381 n

They also have a Facebook page...

310455614 539877148140068 8613711127611810729 n

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
27. FRANO BOTICA
Last update

Frano is still working in real estate but has left Harcourts Mairangi Bay and is working for UP in Herne Bay, Auckland.

FranoBotica FINAL  ScaleMaxWidthWzQwMF0

Frano Botica​

Real Estate by Design

Frano Botica needs no introduction. His 18 years experience playing internationally for the All Blacks, New Zealand Maoris, New Zealand Sevens and Kiwis made him a household name, he has always relished the challenge of producing his best possible effort on every occasion.

A true professional in everything he tackles, Frano firmly believes in the principles he learned as a top-level rugby player and has successfully applied those in the business arena.

As a former captain he developed exceptional leadership skills, making him an excellent group facilitator and negotiator. He has worked with Fonterra, Downer EDI, Vitico, the Department of Conservation and NZ Defence Force, among many others.

Frano’s long career at the elite level of sport has enhanced his ongoing business career, giving him the ability to operate effectively with a wide range of people at all ages and stages of life.
Needless to say we are thrilled to have Frano join us here at UP Real Estate. Together with Kara Barnston they add a new dimension to our thriving team.

He also has two real estate related Facebook pages.

As with our last update in 2015 he is still available for speaking engagements and workplace literacy and leadership coaching.

Heres a quick video from July 2022 with the Mad Butcher...

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
28. DENIS BETTS
Last update

Our previous update had Betts as the Widnes coach, a role he stepped down from in 2018. Since that last update he has been an assistant to Wayne Bennett coaching the England team and started his own sports leadership coaching company DCB Promotions Limited. I cant find a single thing about that company apart from the business registry that has Betts and his wife as Directors.

Betts is another player we will have to revisit soon as he's just stepped down from his most recent post as Director of Football at Newcastle Thunder in the RFL Championship.

Denis Betts confirms Newcastle Thunder exit as club prepares for part-time status

Matthew Shaw
12:05, 22 AUG 2022
0_jc0807020xJPGjpgunde.jpg

Denis Betts will leave Newcastle Thunder at the end of the season.

Denis Betts has confirmed he will leave Newcastle Thunder at the end of the season. The club's director of rugby said he would depart following the club's decision to return part-time next season.

The Championship side confirmed they would be reverting back to part-time status next season, just nine months since turning their squad into a full-time outfit.
In a statement last week, club chair Keith Christie said: “2022 has been a disappointing season with significant investment made into the club not translating into results on the pitch. We will engage with our players and staff regarding the way forward, and will communicate any updates in due course.”

The club is now working through the transition of returning part-time though there is some confusion as to how they plan to implement the move, with a number of players already contracted to the club next season on full-time deals.

Betts, who has taken charge of first-team matters following the departure of coach Eamon O'Carroll, confirmed to Rugby League Live that he was in the dark over the club's future plans, but that they wouldn't involve him.

Speaking after their 42-10 defeat to Halifax Panthers on Sunday, Betts said: "I know that as a part-time organisation I won't be at Newcastle next year."

Asked about the club's plans moving forward, he added: "I don't know, I can't answer the question. All I know is I've got three more games to do, two home games. It's now looking at avoiding more injuries and putting a team together to play Barrow next week. That's my focus, the idea is to get this group to the finish line then the powers that be will see what's next.

"I'm in the dark. I'm disappointed. We had some bold plans that we pushed out which was a bit of bravado but the solid foundations were in place there. If it's all down to performance this year then I can take that on the chin and point that finger. I think we're a better side this year than we were last year, it's cost us a little bit more but there are reasons for that.

"We've been doing this nine months in a tough competition. But my focus has to be to get a team together. We've lost players for different reasons and a coach for other reasons. It's a tough place where aspirations are high. It's not for me at this moment in time to think about anything other than this weekend."

Betts thanked the players for their efforts during their defeat to Fax, a result that leaves them 11th in the table.

"I'm really proud of the players and how they've carried themselves this week. They've been through a couple of meetings, people from RL Cares have been in and someone from GMB, so they've been through quite a bit this week.

The biggest problem has been our inconsistency, which comes from inconsistency in training because of the injuries as we have a small squad so we don't train as often or as well as we'd like to. We've used over 40 players this year on loan or wherever and it's not a great place to bring people up because you don't get a lot of training out of them.

"We've been inconsistent in our selection and our training but they're a tight group who work hard together and they're young, that's what we tried to do when building a side, make it youthful so they can stay together for a number of years."

In other news Denis Betts is also now a CBD oil advocate.

Stripping back the Stigma: Denis Betts

HAYLEY LEAVER
SEPTEMBER 14, 2020

With so much misinformation out there surrounding CBD, it’s hard to know what and who to listen to. Our new series of interviews with CBD advocates, across a range of different industries, aims to help strip back the stigma and offer fresh and new perspectives on how and why CBD might work for you.

First up is Denis Betts. For rugby fans, he needs no introduction. For those that don’t know their union from their league, Betts is a former English rugby league coach and player. During his playing days, he was part of Wigan’s hugely successful team in the 80s and 90s – during which he picked up six Championships, three Premierships and seven Challenge Cup medals – enjoyed a stint with the Auckland Warriors and holds the joint record for Great Britain’s most capped forward. Moving into coaching, he became Head Coach of the Widnes Vikings and Assistant Head Coach of the national team.

Having enjoyed such a long and successful career in a collision sport, it’s perhaps not surprising that it has taken its toll on his body. After at least seven major operations and struggling with painful arthritic joints, Betts turned to CBD. We caught up with him to find out why he became an ambassador for Kannaway and how he incorporates CBD into his everyday routine.

How did you come across CBD?

I first became aware of CBD when my mum was diagnosed with MS. She suffered badly from the symptoms of MS, especially brittle bone disease. However, she did find relief in smoking cannabis, though it wasn’t legal at the time [medicinal cannabis became available to patients in the UK on NHS prescription in November 2018], it was one of the ways that really helped her manage and relieve pain. Naturally, I became intrigued with the physical properties of the hemp plant, the different strands of the cannabinoids and discovered CBD.

Throughout my career I became very aware of my body and the trauma my body had gone through and have since educated myself on nutrition, anatomy and how to get the best out of myself. CBD was a supplement that was on my radar but I had to be wary of THC levels while I played professionally. Now I no longer play, I am less worried about the levels of THC and can feel the full benefits of supplementing CBD. If it makes me, my body and mind feel better, then I’m happy to try it.

What benefits do you get from taking CBD?

It may come as no surprise given my sporting background, but I suffer with arthritis. I have had seven or eight major operations and I suffer with tennis elbow. CBD has provided me with a way to enjoy day-to-day life while still managing my aches and pains.

I took it upon myself to educate myself about CBD and learn the best way it can benefit my body specifically. If I’m being honest, I don’t think I’ve ever slept better. Taking CBD throughout the day in different ways, with my morning coffee or vaping before I go to sleep, has enabled me to find the perfect balance to manage my pain and take full advantage of the day ahead.

Speaking to more recent events, I’ve found that CBD has helped both me and my family during lockdown. While my family don’t supplement CBD as often as myself, they have used it occasionally. Collectively, we have found that lockdown, surprisingly, has been a calm period (a big difference to the chaos and fireworks I was expecting). We’ve had a really enjoyable 12 to 14 weeks.

How did you discover Kannaway?

In the past, I was using different types of CBD oils from various over-the-counter brands, and while they did work to an extent, I knew my body wasn’t getting the full results. A friend of mine actually referred me to the Kannaway website and after doing some research and actually trying the products, I’ve never looked back. It’s a fantastic website.

I use its Pure Gold [a broad-spectrum filtered CBD hemp oil] for my joints. It’s fantastic. I love it. Each 120-ml bottle contains 1000 mg of CBD. I’ll take a couple of pipettes of that in the morning, under my tongue and let it absorb.

I also use the brand’s vape – even though I’ve never smoked a cigarette in my life. After a bit of research, I found it helps to get CBD/hemp oil into your system really quickly. This settles me after a busy day working.

Kannaway really stood out to me as it has great ethical operations. They have a soil-to-sale commitment, which uses a CO2 fluid extraction process to turn the hemp plant into natural biomass.

How do you find the right dose for you?

Each person is different. As I’ve mentioned previously, I have done extensive research and gained deep knowledge into the plant, the brands I use and the dosage I take. Each person will have a different product and strength that works for them. My advice would be play around but start small. You can come off it for a little bit and then go back on it for a little bit until you find the results that you’re looking for.

What advice would you give to someone looking to try CBD for the first time?

I’m really careful to make sure the quality is right. It’s been fantastic for me because I’ve found the right kind of CBD and product that I’m comfortable with. It’s important to actually do a bit of research and read about a company’s background.

I would also say try it with an open mind and don’t expect to get miracle results. It’s about finding the right balance and incorporating it into your routine. It’s not life changing but it will definitely help.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
29. MARK ELLIS
Last update

He's done pretty well after selling the juice company he started with a few friends to Japanese giants Asahi for $129 million in 2011 of which his cut was $18 million.

From all reports Marc Ellis is mostly spending his days enjoying his family time while still working for Media Blanco, a company he started with a mate and owns a 70% share in. They have worked with Toyota Global, Toyota New Zealand, Tourism New Zealand and Air New Zealand.

Screenshot 2022 10 28 102911 PM

Screenshot 2022 10 28 103248 PM
Heres a live interview from May this year where he touches on a lot of what he's doing now. Well worth a listen.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
30. MARK HORO
Last update

We didnt really have anything concrete with Horo last time but we can say with confidence that hes working for Atmosphere Global based in Charlestown, NSW.

Atmosphere Global sell 100% plant based cleaners, sanitisers, disinfectants, odour control products with one product claiming to be "the first and only plant-based formulation effective against up to 99.9999% of germs & bacteria."

609e0ce2c240ff773fb2a9fb Product Range   Off Centre p 1600

Screenshot 2022 10 29 123733 AM

Last edited:
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
31. MARK CARTER
Last update

Carter was probably the most difficult players to get an update on back in 2015 as his name was too common. We got absolutely nothing but I pleased to tell you that has changed thanks to a Stuff article published in 2017.

Former All Black Mark Carter's horse third favourite for Melbourne Cup

16:58, Nov 06 2017
Humidor (left) runs second to Winx in the Cox Plate last month.

Humidor (left) runs second to Winx in the Cox Plate last month.

A wish granted at the weekend could be the forerunner to wilder celebrations for the Carter family.

Siblings John, former All Black loose forward Mark and Rachael operate under the Jomara Bloodstock banner and early on Sunday morning they welcomed a half-sister to Humidor, who on Tuesday bids for Group I Melbourne Cup (3200m) glory at Flemington.

"We had some really good news when Humidor's mother foaled a filly at 3am on Sunday morning," Mark Carter said.

Humidor's trainer Darren Weir and former All Black Mark Carter  have a shot at Melbourne Cup glory.

Humidor's trainer Darren Weir and former All Black Mark Carter have a shot at Melbourne Cup glory.

"We sold a half-sister to Humidor and the mare's had a filly by Shooting To Win. It's a nice match and we were desperate for a filly to keep the family going."

The Carters bred Humidor, who is by Teofilo out of the Zabeel mare Zalika, and enjoyed success in the Group III Manawatu Challenge Classic (2000m) and a Group I Livamol Classic (2040m) placing with the gelding when he was trained at Otaki by Johno Benner and Hollie Wynyard.

John Carter leads Humidor back to scale following his Australian Cup victory in March.

John Carter leads Humidor back to scale following his Australian Cup victory in March.

Jomara Bloodstock sold a 50 per cent interest in Humidor to clients of top Victorian trainer Darren Weir, who has subsequently added Group I wins in the Australian Cup (2000m) and the Makybe Diva Stakes (1600m) to the horse's record.

Now, the five-year-old is the equal third favourite at $10 to win the Melbourne Cup.
"It's very exciting and at a whole new level – it's a dream come true to have a runner," Carter said.

He is endeavouring to take a low-key approach to Tuesday.

"I'm trying to have low expectations so I don't get disappointed," Carter said.

Meanwhile, Weir is more worried about Humidor's weight than he is about him mastering the extreme distance of Tuesday's Melbourne Cup.

"The negative is the 56kg, it's enough, but all the indications say he will stay," Weir said.

Humidor goes into the cup off the back of his runner-up finish in the Cox Plate (2040m) at Moonee Valley where he momentarily looked like he may have lowered the colours of the champion mare Winx.

"I didn't really think he would get that close, but he's such a good horse when he's ridden the right way and he got a beautiful run in the Cox Plate," Weir said.

"From a cup point of view it was a terrific run."

Humidor will be ridden by the in-form Blake Shinn.

With the withdrawal of the only Kiwi-trained contender, Jon Snow, before the field was finalised and the scratching of veteran Who Shot Thebarman on Sunday, Humidor carries the most Kiwi interest in the cup, but there is a second Kiwi-bred runner in Cismontane ($51), who only gained entry through his win in the Lexus Stakes at Flemington on Saturday. He was bred by Windsor Park Stud of Cambridge and is the late shuttle sire out of the Kiwi mare Viviane.

There are three expat Kiwi jockeys in the big race, while Chris Waller, the top Sydney trainer who hails from Foxton, has a solid chance in Libran.

The jockeys are three-time New Zealand premiership winner Michael Walker, who will ride Bondi Beach ($61), Cory Parish, who will ride his Caulfield Cup winner Boom Time ($31), and 21-year Michael Dee, who will be on board outsider Gallante ($101).

The three jockeys live in Victoria.

According to the business registry Mark Carter has been a Director of Auckland based Jomara Bloodstock Limited since 2001 and runs it with his brother John and sister Rachael with all three having equal shares.

No website for them to visit but plenty of good articles if you Google search the companies name.

Screenshot 2022 10 29 125933 AM

Last edited:
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
32. NIGEL VAGANA
Last update

Back in 2015 Nigel was an NRL Education and Welfare Officer. In 2017 he came back to NZ and worked a similar job for the NZRL. A role he has just left. All we know right now is that he has just been voted in as the Richmond Rugby League Chairman.

We may need to revisit this soon to found out if he has a job.

Former Kiwi Nigel Vagana comes full circle, announced as Richmond Chair​

26 January 2022

111516_wo.jpeg

Nigel Vagana has come full circle on his rugby league journey ending up back where his footy career began at the Richmond Rovers.

Last night, Vagana was elected as the Chair for Richmond Rovers Rugby League & Sports Club (RRRLSC) at their annual general meeting. He said that he is looking forward to the opportunity and taking on the role aiming to help the community aspire to believe they can be whatever they want to be from the grassroots club.

“I’m hoping to help create a future that everyone is a part of, and everyone is excited to play their part”, Vagana said. “I’d like to build strong connections and relations with the community and provide more opportunities for our kids, senior players, coaches and officials.”

For the past two years, Vagana has been involved with the Richmond club he has been a Masters player and his son has been a part of the junior grades.

“It’s the old club that I grew up at and have a strong connection with”, Vagana said. “I just wanted to spend some time coaching some of the young players there and helping them on their journey. Now coming into this role, it’s another opportunity to help grow the community.”

Vagana spent his junior years playing for the Richmond club before joining the Auckland Warriors system in 1995 and embarking on his international rugby league journey.

In 2008, Vagana retired from the professional game with 240 NRL caps, international appearances for New Zealand and Samoa, the Kiwis try-scoring record at the time (19) and back-to-back Dally M Centre of the Year award winner in 2001-02.

Vagana also took part in the 2007 All Golds tour of Great Britain and France. The historic tour celebrated a century of rugby league in New Zealand.

Following his retirement, Vagana moved into a role at the NRL head office working as an Education and Wellbeing Manager for ten years, before taking on a similar role based in Auckland with the NZRL in 2017.

Vagana reflected on how his rugby league journey has led him back into this role at his junior club.

“Coming full circle back to New Zealand, down to Auckland, back to where it all began. I wanted to make sure that I closed the loop on where it all began and came back home to help out the best I can.”

Last edited:
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
33. AWEN GUTTENBEIL
Last update

Awen is running his own business called Passive Fire NZ. Heres a breakdown of what they do from their website.

Passive Fire NZ was founded to bring the industry a new level of transparency and certainty. We pride ourselves on introducing leading edge technology and the superior quality and standards we feel the industry deserves.

After witnessing a host of non-compliant solutions and applications in the construction industry, Passive Fire NZ decided it was time for New Zealand to start to lead the way with our passive fire standards.

Doing so greatly reduces the risk of lives lost and property damage in commercial buildings and structures. A cause which drives the Passive Fire NZ team to do the job once and do it right. Our team is committed to install your PFP requirements to a standard and quality that we would be comfortable to work and live in ourselves.

Passive Fire NZ is an industry leader in Health and Safety standards, being both Site Wise Green Accredited and Safe365 compliant.

We have a full time Health & Safety representative, and pride ourselves on not only keeping the buildings we work on safe, but our team, and all those we work with.

Screenshot 2022 10 30 85907 PM

Screenshot 2022 10 30 104144 PM
Screenshot 2022 10 30 104111 PM

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
34. DOC MURRAY
Last update

When we last heard from Doc he was working at Plumbing World Tauranga. I rang them this morning and was told we hadn't worked there in some time. Decided to just message him and got a great reply. Wish it was always this easy :).

313411546 10229897827088446 2707059523561486423 n

Jensen Steel Fabrication is based in Mt Maunganui and provide structural steel solutions. Heres a run down from their website.

Structural steel detailing, steel fabrication, industrial coating and site installation.​

We offer all services relating to structural steel, meaning we can manage the entire process efficiently, safely and with optimal outcomes. Supported by our competent and experienced project management and site construction capabilities, we are a true leader within the industry. We are based in Mt Maunganui with a great reputation and proven track record within the Bay of Plenty, as well as servicing the rest of the North Island.

Heres a couple quick clips from their Youtube channel.

Follow the link below for an impressive list of all their most recent projects...

Last edited:
Reactions: matiunz
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
35. IVA ROPATI
Last update

In 2015 Iva was the Principle of Howick College but only just this past month has changed scenery for a job in Papamoa. He has just started his new job as Principle for Papamoa High School.

sZwq611u0Xrpt6tFAXhaWVGLKkTYSwY2tFF1SFRduHAWyLYhA1B15N8OXXUyGnSxeJTtXwtdCWEjyjZjKBIvW3gst1QfT9DnCo1C8sy6Kc7ZH9Bakew8jEjG7NHTJCuS

by Times.co.nz

New Principal - Mr Iva Ropati​

PĀPĀMOA COLLEGE — MAY 13, 2022

We are very pleased to announce the appointment of Mr Iva Ropati to the role of Principal, starting in Term 4 this year.

The Board of Trustees Presiding Member, Jethro LeRoy advised the College Community on Monday 9 May of their decision to appoint Mr Ropati. This followed a rigorous recruitment process, since the resignation of Mr Steve Lindsey last year.

Mr Iva Ropati is a very experienced and successful Principal currently working at Howick College in Auckland. He is most passionate about strengthening organisational culture and instilling a sense of purpose and belonging in students.

Some may recognise Mr Ropati as a former professional Warriors Rugby League player. The Bay of Plenty Times reported on the inspiration Mr Ropati got from his League coaches and managers and how that has influenced his professional career.

"It all revolves around the single team philosophy of everyone shoulder to shoulder with the common goal of doing their best to make the community proud."

Mr Ropati is well known for seeing Maori and Pacifica achievement rates soar at Howick College. In an interview with Newshub in 2018, he attributed this success to their approach of honouring diversity and simply instilling a belief in students that they can achieve.

We look forward to welcoming Mr Iva Ropati, who will commence his position on Monday 17 October, the first day of the 4th term.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
36. ANTHONY SWANN
Last update

Since our last visit Swann left his role as a Grade 4 teacher in Singapore and had his own lawnmowing franchise with Jims Lawns in Northland, New Zealand. He sold that franchise in 2021 and took on another teaching post at Whangaparoa College as a PE teacher.

Havent been able to find any articles or pictures but his LinkedIn is up to date and found his name on the Whangaparoa College teachers list so Im happy to close to this update.

Screenshot 2022 10 31 92822 PM

Screenshot 2022 10 31 93515 PM

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
37. BRADY MALAM
Last update

As with his last update Malam is still Director and 50% shareholder is BUDPAC. Below is a quick word on what they do from their website.

BUDPAC is New Zealand’s leading provider of precision-cut MDF board.​

We develop customised cutting solutions for industrial shelving, heavy-duty packaging, freight pallets, kit-set or assembled crates and much more. The BUDPAC name promises high quality, innovative and economical medium density fibreboard products.

Screenshot 2022 10 31 104915 PM

You can find some of their products at your local hardware store.

313304179 10229900369432003 121111885587240712 n

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
38. BRYAN HENARE
Last update

No information available at the moment. If anyone knows what Henare is up to please get in touch.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
39. AARON LESTER
Last update

We had very little to go last time with the confirmation being his continued involvement with Whitehaven RL club.

He is still living in Whitehaven and still supporting the Whitehaven club. Living with his British wife who is a teacher.

All I could on him work wise was a company he owns called ASLNZ Ltd (his initials and birthplace). There is no website or any online presence apart from company registry in the UK and credit report agencies. The company is registered under the following industries.

This company is listed in the following categories:
70229 - Management consultancy activities other than financial management
71122 - Engineering related scientific and technical consulting activities

Screenshot 2022 11 01 122214 AM

Screenshot 2022 11 01 122124 AM

So I guess we can say he runs an engineering consultancy of some description...

Reactions: Hardyman's Yugo