vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Afternoon
12:00

Team Lists

DWZ chasing rare Panthers win as finals reunion awaits​

Alicia Newton

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has a try against every NRL team in the competition except one – his former club Penrith – as he hopes for a change of luck in Saturday’s qualifying final at BlueBet Stadium.

Watene-Zelezniak will be in familiar surroundings driving along Mulgoa road after growing up a local junior with the St Clair Comets before five-and-a-half seasons with the Panthers.

His exit at Penrith in 2019 hasn’t been without its challenges with a 24.3% winning strike rate with Canterbury over a three-year stint before struggling early at the Warriors - all while the Panthers claimed two titles and three minor premierships.

The 28-year-old’s resurgence this season, however, coincides with the Warriors shocking the competition in 2023 to finish fourth on the Telstra Premiership ladder.

Panthers fullback Dylan Edwards, who once was locked in a fullback battle with DWZ during their time together, reflected on that dual ahead of their first meeting in a finals match.

“It was a while ago now but I remember Dal was coming off playing for New Zealand at fullback and was playing really well,” Edwards said.

“I’d come back from a shoulder reconstruction so it was just the timing of it all, then Dal left for the Bulldogs.

1694047405590.png

“He’s had a great year and has always had it in him. It was just about playing the style that his footy suits.

“The tries he’s scoring not many people can score them the way he has this year and he’s been crucial out of yardage for them which is what he did well when he was with us.”

Panthers winger Brian To’o remarkably made his NRL debut in Watene-Zelezniak’s final game for the club in Round 10, 2019, and indirectly replaced him in the team long-term.

The Panthers hold a current 7-1 win record against Watene-Zelezniak, who has produced a career-best 21 tries in 18 games for the Warriors this year.

“He was definitely someone I looked up to coming through the system,” To’o said.

“To see where he’s at now, I’m so happy for him. He gave me tips every now and then to help improve my game.”

Another former teammate, Tyrone Peachey, who followed a similar path to Watene-Zelezniak and switched clubs with stints at the Gold Coast and Wests Tigers, returned to the Panthers this season.

“I watch every game and it’s good to see Dal scoring tries every week,” Peachey said.

“You can see he’s happy and he’s been in similar place I was… struggling for a couple of years but he’s come really good.

“He just needed an opportunity and he’s got it and taken it with both hands.”

Watene-Zelezniak will be joined by Wayde Egan and Te Maire Martin as other former Panthers set to take on their former side in the first finals match between both clubs since 2018.

Egan's season has been one former teammate and close friend Liam Martin was not surprised with after finding his feet at the Warriors.

“Seeing him excel I’m really happy for him but come Saturday we’re both competitors,” Martin said.

“He’s always been a quality player. The couple of years he played at Penrith were pretty tough. He was still quite young and he had a couple of injuries, then he and the club had different [paths] with Api [Koroisau] coming back.

"When we played NSW Cup he always talked about his show and go was the best. He went something like 10 weeks in a row scoring a try from dummy half."

Geezus. Im going to keep digging my head in the sand over this rumour and saying it aint so!

But just doing a timeline on this...

First we heard of this rumour on here was yesterday at 4:30
Team naming was Tuesday evening (the day prior), so IF anything has happened it was Wed morning session.
Morgs was on SENZ yesterday afternoon and there was nothing mentioned or hinted. Said they had had a G vs 3 session yesterday morning (no idea what that is) and those that didnt play last week have really 'bounced' in, and also said "we are at full strength other than Luke Metcalf".

I'm just hoping he isnt a good lier and this has been overblown or mindgames or whatever. Please for the love of god be bullshit.

Also surely to add to that, if it was more than a rumour it would have been jumped on already (even if the club was keeping it super tight lipped) as it would be MASSIVE news. I didnt need this anxiety in my life right now...

Geezus. Im going to keep digging my head in the sand over this rumour and saying it aint so!

But just doing a timeline on this...

First we heard of this rumour on here was yesterday at 4:30
Team naming was Tuesday evening (the day prior), so IF anything has happened it was Wed morning session.
Morgs was on SENZ yesterday afternoon and there was nothing mentioned or hinted. Said they had had a G vs 3 session yesterday morning (no idea what that is) and those that didnt play last week have really 'bounced' in, and also said "we are at full strength other than Luke Metcalf".

I'm just hoping he isnt a good lier and this has been overblown or mindgames or whatever. Please for the love of god be bullshit.
Nice one. This is the type of pro SJ injury detective work we come on here for

Back