Post Match 2023 Penrith vs Warriors - Week 1 Finals (Post Match)

vs

-

MATCH COMPLETE

01 Jan 1970

Match Stats

Tries
Conversions
/ Field Goals /
/ 2P Field Goals /
Try Assists
% Possession %
/ Set Completion /
Time in Opposition Half
Metres Gained
Dropouts
Dummy Half Runs
/ Kicks/Kick Metres /
40/20
20/40
Offloads
1 on 1 Steals
Line Breaks
Line Break Assists
Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Rate the Match !

• A+

• A

• B

• C

• D

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
It was a full pisstake song (How Bizarre style), which was apparently made by a fan. Given you could barely make out half the stuff he was saying not to mention it was just pretty cringey in general, odd thing for the official team channel to share in the first place.
Anyone got a link to this cringefest song so I can seethe at these toothless retards mocking our boys?

If so then we should be throwing caution to the wind instead of bowing out meekly.

That is how you lose by +50

Look at last season, where we took this approach. No game plan, no discipline, errors and mistakes everywhere. In fact just watch last nights sharks vs Chooks game. Two badly coached teams throwing ridiculous passes everywhere and dropping them all.

Discipline. Clinical. Consistent.

That is Penriths secret to continual success. You with your military background should know this…

That is how you lose by +50
no difference in the finals. Losing by 1 or losing by 50. They dont call it sudden DEATH for nothing. Dead is dead.
Look at last season, where we took this approach. No game plan, no discipline, errors and mistakes everywhere. In fact just watch last nights sharks vs Chooks game. Two badly coached teams throwing ridiculous passes everywhere and dropping them all.
Maybe a tough it out approach with a poor team selection and zero game plan may have worked.
Discipline. Clinical. Consistent.

That is Penriths secret to continual success. You with your military background should know this…
I know if its a suicide mission as everyone claims it to be, you do in fact need a hail mary. Several in fact. Gotta risk it for the biscuit. Or we can play it safe and *checks notes* get pumped by 30pts.

I do fully acknowledge and respect your position though. It is well thought out and reasoned, I just disagree with the logic underpinning it.

how much of our squad were regular first graders last year? i dunno if you're giving the warriors too much credit or not enough

I’ll cop the Volkman thing but what about fucking sirro and lussick both in the bench?? Why isn’t Ale there instead of one of them??

Bench of jazz, sirro and lussick isn’t small ball it’s midget ball and none of those have x favtor or anything particular different about them that would change the game. I would go as far as to say Sirro is big average, lussick is serviceable and Jazz is still underdone. Ale apart from a few games has been killing it all season.

Also get fucking ford out of there the bloke is so one dimensional. Curran is the fucking man!!

This is pretty much where I sit with it.

The Volkman debate is valid, lots of good arguments either way.

But the rest of the selections left a lot to be desired.

Carrying only one underdone middle on the bench

AFB and Barnett off the field at the same time.

60mins for Curran to enter the game

Carrying Lussick for 75mins.

A few people are taking criticism of Webby personally. Webby is the master and should be locked up for a decade but he cooked it this week.

I agree with what Webby said a few weeks back.

We are a season too early for the Grand Final, or maybe even the later finals.

We needed to experience getting wins under our belt and go from strength to strength. That's what Webby achieved in his first season in charge, It's almost been a record season. I'm pretty sure after last two seasons it's been our best for a while.

Nathan Cleary was just 1 man, but he had the rest of the team showing him the way, and when he got on top he was magic to watch.

Had Sean had the luxury of the team doing their jobs, then he would have played the same way. When he's on form, look out. But he didn't play yesterday, and I hope he plays next week.

I think Webby just wanted us to get to the finals and give us the experience, anything after that is setting us up for the next few years.

We all experienced the pain of the last two weeks. I'm sure the Wahs do too, but more personally.

Whatever happens the next few weeks, look out next season.

We have the team, and we have the right Coach. Ivan Cleary.2 but his name is Webster. Andrew Webster.

UP THE WAHS.

The pain of the end of this year

Will be the joy of winning the whole thing next year.

Just a year too early.

Eh?

Years not over mate.

Win at home next week and we're into a GF qualifier where anything can happen

A coach saying something publicly 3 months ago to quell expectation is very different to what is being discussed internally.

I guarantee they are doing all they can to win the comp this year

The lack of focus on how piss poor our defence was yesterday is surprising.

55 missed tackles!....we've been averaging 32 all season. That should be the most concerning aspect above all else, You cant win finals if you cant defend. The amount of times they busted our line, we'd have to scramble to shut it down, but inevitably because we're stretched they'd get a quick ptb and usually strip us for numbers cause our line was still trying to recover......a number of their tries were scored in that fashion.

Main culprits being Jackson Ford and Dylan Walker with 8 each.

Incidently our season high 59 missed tackles.......also against Penrith.

55 missed tackles!....we've been averaging 32 all season. That should be the most concerning aspect above all else, You cant win finals if you cant defend. The amount of times they busted our line, we'd have to scramble to shut it down, but inevitably because we're stretched they'd get a quick ptb and usually strip us for numbers cause our line was still trying to recover......a number of their tries were scored in that fashion.

I thought our defense was a strong point.

Miss tackle count was high but I put a lot of that down to all the positional changes.

Once Penrith got on a roll the missed tackles started to mount but defensively on our line and for long periods we were doing well.

I am puzzled why Ford and Curran were swapped around a few weeks ago, it seemed to work really well - they've not done it again?

And we looked like we were back to our old selves out wide not trusting and not knowing if we were sliding, jamming, holding.... Looked panicked. DWZ I thought had solved or at least had worked hard on his defensive issues but last night was back to rocks again. Panthers have players who do their roles and trust their structures. We have some players who can do that.

Add the errors and you have a recipe for being beaten.

And we looked like we were back to our old selves out wide not trusting and not knowing if we were sliding, jamming, holding.... Looked panicked. DWZ I thought had solved or at least had worked hard on his defensive issues but last night was back to rocks again. Panthers have players who do their roles and trust their structures. We have some players who can do that.

Add the errors and you have a recipe for being beaten.
Yeah tbh i felt a lot of the problems on the edges we're just down to our middles unable to control the ruck and ruck speed. A number of their tries if u look in isolation are off the back of a bust and then a quick ptb and then getting stripped for numbers....u could see it coming we we're short out wide and we know if u put both DWZ and Montoya in that position enough inevitably they'll come out of the line.......felt for them a bit tbh cause we were getting stripped often from inside out......would imagine our first up tackling will get a good going over through the week.

Yeah tbh i felt a lot of the problems on the edges we're just down to our middles unable to control the ruck and ruck speed. A number of their tries if u look in isolation are off the back of a bust and then a quick ptb and then getting stripped for numbers....u could see it coming we we're short out wide and we know if u put both DWZ and Montoya in that position enough inevitably they'll come out of the line.......felt for them a bit tbh cause we were getting stripped often from inside out......would imagine our first up tackling will get a good going over through the week.
Completely agree. Just annoys me how often out wingers take no one. I think a number of our players were overawed by the experience.

I thought our defense was a strong point.
I get what you mean, there we're times when we managed to hold, defending back to back sets which showed some resilience.....but inevitably our 1 off missed tackles ended up being really costly, particulary on the next play after it where we couldnt recover........and 36 points conceded is far too much.....especially with our lack of attack to be able to score more atm.

Completely agree. Just annoys me how often out wingers take no one. I think a number of our players were overawed by the experience.
Wing defence is a lot harder than most realize, your on a hiding to nothing most times. I know u probably know but half the time the damage has already been done in the middle of the park and your trying to mark 2-3 players at times......u come in too early your going to look the fool with them scoring outside u, u hold your width and they score inside u untouched you look just as foolish and you;ll get a gobful from your centre,,,,,its a real fine balancing act yet ntohing is usually mentioned about the middle players that got beaten for the overlap to occur as it's not obvious to the casual viewer.

That first Penrith try for example Cleary centre field changes direction get's rid of Barnett, steps Egan......Walker defending 3 in shoots out of the line then tries to adjust going in on Cleary which leaves Pompey and Montoya with a 4 on 2, Pompey then takes himself out of play getting in behind a decoy runner......Montoya is left in no mans land has to come off To'o really and he scores on the outside (altho Klockstad had got across by then). Couple of times sure they did make the wrong decision but if u put any winger in that position enough inevitably thats going to happen.....i would rather get to the root problem of whats happening further infield to why we were in that piosition time and again......normally it comes down to not controlling the ruck

Wing defence is a lot harder than most realize, your on a hiding to nothing most times. I know u probably know but half the time the damage has already been done in the middle of the park and your trying to mark 2-3 players at times......u come in too early your going to look the fool with them scoring outside u, u hold your width and they score inside u untouched you look just as foolish and you;ll get a gobful from your centre,,,,,its a real fine balancing act yet ntohing is usually mentioned about the middle players that got beaten for the overlap to occus as it's not obvious to the casual viewer.

That first Penrith try for example Cleary centre field changes direction get's rid of Barnett, steps Egan......Walker defending 3 in shoots out of the line then tries to adjust going in on Cleary which leaves Pompey and Montoya with a 4 on 2, Pompey then takes himself out of play getting in behind a decoy runner......Montoya is left in no mans land has to come off To'o really and he scores on the outside (altho Klockstad had got across by then). Couple of times sure they did make the wrong decision but if u put any winger in that position enough inevitably thats going to happen.....i would rather get to the root problem of whats happening further infield to why we were in that piosition time and again......normally it comes down to not controlling the ruck
AW is also trying to fix years of poor defensive habits. I think there is a mix of things. What's happening on the inside, players not trusting their structure, some players who have some fundamental issues with defensive reads. Also think we have a lack of speed in our centres which doesn't help. Still, we have gotten this far on one off season and if we can win next week the team only have to focus on another two games

AW is also trying to fix years of poor defensive habits. I think there is a mix of things. What's happening on the inside, players not trusting their structure, some players who have some fundamental issues with defensive reads. Also think we have a lack of speed in our centres which doesn't help. Still, we have gotten this far on one off season and if we can win next week the team only have to focus on another two games
Yeah quite right. I mean we're night and day better than last seasons abortion of an edge defence.

Trusting the structure is huge. In that first Panthers try instance there was no need for Walker to rush out of the line......sure Cleary had drifted past and beaten a few players but if he had just held his line he wouldve just run into numbers and out of room......shooting up creates the space when there was none......probably due to playing out of postion perhaps.

I still don't understand not playing Volkman.

The only reason I can think is it would have screwed the NSW team.

Looking at the NSW team, there are some good players that will get a chance next year. I would love to see the players Webby can sign after next year. I am sure players will be very interested in playing for him.
We didn't name him on extended bench therefore couldn't have bought him in. Unless we applied but Webster probably also knew they wouldnt allow the application.

Also if we did use him cup team would have suffered as they did last week.

But I feel it was a case of if Volk played he had to face the Panthers. If he got injured and SJ doesn't come good we go in with TMM and Walker in a do or die scenario. So i think part of it was a cotton wool scenario. Granted he could have gotten injured in cup too but no doubt less taxing on the body than FG.

I think Webster knew panthers would have rammed runners down Volks channel.

And went in with robust players that can defend. And they did a great job. Given we were under pressure we could have easily let in 40+

Had we got a few calls might have been decent.

Back