Votes: 44 54.3%

• Total voters

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
He gets to play FG and 250k.
I'd be motivated haha
Yeah but he gets paid either way hey...

I just hope he really wants to play, otherwise there is no point to pushing him out there....coz that will never end well for us either.

Reactions: AlexM

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
May 10, 2012
Had plenty of time to reflect

Still does not take away from the disappointment and pains me to think that yes, losses can hurt more than the Cowboys one. But we can only affect what is in front of us.

IMO this is the best Warriors team since the 2011 Grand Final - sadly for us the bar is pretty low in terms of performance in this last decade.

Yes we have been on the losing end of close matches far too often this season (6 losses by 6 points or less) but we must also acknowledge 4 of our 5 wins were by 6 points or less. That means in games decided by 6 points or less this season, we win 40% of the time.

So, we need only a small improvement to see a much better position on the table (2 extra wins which we all agree was possible would have us in the 8).

I don't really have the intricate details of the answer but what this team really needs is 2 things - a first choice team on the park (looks like Chad & Tohu Harris out this week..) and some wins. It is amazing how you can start to work things out just by getting some wins.

Sharks just lost to last place Brisbane yesterday - we can definitely beat them without doubt this week and then it is upwards fom there

Flaco

Warriors Bench Player
Jan 7, 2020
Dunno what else to say that hasnt been said, just mentally weak. Until we get a coach that can motivate and instills confidence in each player we ain't going far. We have a team that doesnt believe in itself and lacks leadership.
Motivation, confidence, self-belief, leadership...what's the common denominator? Professional coaches, professional medical staff, professional nutritionists, professional analysts...but totally amateur psychologists.

Reactions: bruce

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
In previous years I have always thought it was back to starting point every year for the Warriors. I think this year is different in that it seems to me they are building on the squad from last season. Recruiting supports that.

I know our table position doesn't reflect that improvement but the players are being put in place for the future. There will be mistakes and unwanted departures, like Lawton. However, I do think we need to look further than results. Then it will be Nathan Brown's squad and he must be judged on his results.

Mr Frank White

Warriors 1st Grader
May 19, 2012
In previous years I have always thought it was back to starting point every year for the Warriors. I think this year is different in that it seems to me they are building on the squad from last season. Recruiting supports that.

I know our table position doesn't reflect that improvement but the players are being put in place for the future. There will be mistakes and unwanted departures, like Lawton. However, I do think we need to look further than results. Then it will be Nathan Brown's squad and he must be judged on his results.

Lawton was probably a case of needed a roster spot and him being injured.

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Watch when he scores.
Most players were doing something silly for a celebration for the Moses masoe thing try July whatever.
He just gets up , no smile nothing
Might be nothing at all , just thought it was odd
Very strange considering it's a Masoe try celebration round. Reminded me of the old school all blacks, don't show any emotion, focus on the next try.

Reactions: mrblonde

#robbiemears

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 1, 2015
I respect your thoughts and evaluation and I do agree with alot you have stated. I remember when we first made the finals in 2001 after 6 long years of being in existence, we were supposed to be on the cusp of a golden era of NZ rugby league where the warriors created a dynasty and were a powerhouse for years to come...who would have thought 20 years later we would be still waiting. Not me.

Mate, I do see the changes but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be winning games either. Especially games that are almost unloseable like this past weekend. I'd probably have a more positive view of the club's situation as well if we had already been blessed with a sustained period of success instead of mediocrity year after year. I'm sick of this perpetual "rebuilding" phase or this "next year" mentality the club always seems to be parked in.

Recruitment has improved, they are learning how to juggle the salary cap more effectively and Gus Gould and POS are positive for the club. Reece Walsh is massive for the club going forward, not just for his on field ability but his marketing ability as well and ability to attract other players in the future. I agree on Brownie, he needs more time. But I'd still absolutely be on the lookout for a "supercoach" Bennett and Hasler have shown they are not scared of rebuilds, who's to say a Trent Robinson won't take the plunge?

I'm heartbroken Roger Tuivasa-Sheck won't be apart of any premiership or at least a deep dive into the finals. What an absolute pleasure to have him captain our club, just a champion in every sense. Plays with his heart and soul every week, never gets injured, is consistently our shining light.

We've been in this situation before where there is "light at the end of the tunnel". And yep, no light. Cronulla had to wait forty years I guess. Geez, I shouldn't be so damn negative because guess what, I'll watch next week and the week after that, and the week after that lol

I agree, Burncity warrior. Both yourself and BeastMode in a reply to my post make a lot of good points. We're all rightfully impatient for success. But I don't think this current roster is anywhere near as strong as some make out. The halves, for instance, are barely first grade standard and they're the ones running the show. At least issues have been identified (the need for an elite half; the need for a more diverse and aggressive pack; the need for speed...) and fixes are being made. I'd much rather this rush of proactivity than the sit on our hands and have faith in the 'process' approach of the Kearney years.

Since Ivan left, the club has catapulted from one coaching disaster to another.

So truth is, we probably are in year one of ANOTHER rebuild. Yes, that's annoying. Yes, we'll lose a bunch more games along the way. Yes, we've heard it all before. But this time we do have a footy genius in Gus Gould behind the scenes, and a recruitment genius in POS working in tandem with a young coach who theoretically has his best coaching years ahead of him. I'd put some faith in that lot.

At least they all seem aligned in their vision for what the club needs: better development of our own juniors (the Penrith model), bring in experienced, hardened Aussies to fill gaps in the roster (the Roosters model), and blood the future superstars sooner rather than later.

I have no idea whether Brownie can coach a team effectively. The record is mixed of late, but he did take the Dragons to three consecutive finals, he took the Giants to the Challenge Cup final and lead St Helens to the title in 2014. Also, the NRL players seem to think he can, based on their recent survey.

However, like mt.wellington mt.wellington, I'm concerned he brought his best mate Hodges across with him. Likewise, that he's allowed Sean O'Sullivan to feature so prominently this season when he seems off the standard.

Morgan was foisted upon him by the owners, but he will need to go too. If nothing else, hopefully the failings of this season will spark a review of the overall coaching set-up.

I'm prepared to give Brownie another season. If he fails to ignite the spark, he should be moved on - like all the others that have tried and failed. But then, we're likely back to where we started: another rebuild under another new coach.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Watch when he scores.
Most players were doing something silly for a celebration for the Moses masoe thing try July whatever.
He just gets up , no smile nothing
Might be nothing at all , just thought it was odd
I didn't see it but Bunty has never been an emotional type has he? If it wasn't for his Polynesian looks he could have came straight out of the Northern coal mines.
I know I shouldn't tempt fate but they would love him up north.

Reactions: Sup42

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Ok, so who would that be?
Fair question...somebody like they or other clubs have had success with before e.g. Daniel Anderson, Ivan Cleary, Trent Robertson...or wait for it... Craig Bellamy who had never coached first grade before going to Melbourne.

So in short, get off yer arse and really go looking.

I am sure Gould and Robinson are doing that, who was before?

kos

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 16, 2013
I watched a second grade game NZW vs someone at Mtsmart maybe 3 years ago.
Bunty was sitting near me with a hoody pulled down with a few other first graders watching the game.
He was as quiet and unassuming for the whole game.
Good player quiet person.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Fair question...somebody like they or other clubs have had success with before e.g. Daniel Anderson, Ivan Cleary, Trent Robertson...or wait for it... Craig Bellamy who had never coached first grade before going to Melbourne.

So in short, get off yer arse and really go looking.

I am sure Gould and Robinson are doing that, who was before?

You can guarantee that our club would swap Brown for Bellamy or Robinson without even pausing to think about it.

The brains trust are no different to us really on that score, I am sure every club in the world would have offered them gigs.

Cleary I dunno there, can he coach when he doesn't have the best Roster in the NRL?

I would not say no, just asking.

Anderson would have been a useful assistant coach, shame about his personality issues.

I honestly believe the Warriors talk about life after Brown already, I mean they know more than anyone that there is every chance their incumbent coach is not forever.

Geoff Public

Fold some clown
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland
Even good coaches don't get success at clubs that arnt right.

To say some coaches who belong to well run clubs are good and then say others aren't doesn't work for me.

It took the Roosters over a decade to become an overnight success under Politis"s stewardship. If Bellamy was that good in his 1st few years at the Storm they wouldn't have needed to break the salary cap.

We're not a top drawer club. Last year an assistant coach filling in at the top job with no previous head coach experience turned us down because he had a shot at another club. And even that was the Cowboys. Bimin ' 'eck.

At the time Brown seemed as good as anyone applying for the job. The guy who got his old job isn't doing any better.

So we keep on improving everything at our club so Brown has the best support he can get. We develop juniors to pressure our top 30, and we give our coach a descent chance.
Because if we fire him now who's going to want to coach here.

Last edited:

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings