• E

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • F

Votes: 44 54.3%

• Total voters

#robbiemears

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 1, 2015
We're all so reactive on this forum, myself included. One minute it's awesome Kosi is in the team - he's passionate and a welcome reprieve from the Fusitua/Ken show; next minute he's useless and should be thrown on the scrapheap. One minute the Warriors are making progress and all seems rosy, next we're going backwards and there's no hope.

I think we should all apply a little perspective to the recent losses and the overall position of the club. It's easy to say everything is hopeless after a series of bad losses, it's much more challenging to take the long view and say we're slowly building to something better.

I think the side look far more impressive this year than last. That may not be reflected on the ladder, and it may not be readily apparent every time they crack under pressure. But to me at least, they seem better drilled, more professional and more passionate: there's finally some real emotion when they lose.

I can watch this team, and to the extent that it's possible when they're losing so frequently, enjoy what I see. I get a little nervous again on game day. Under SK, that enjoyment, that vested interest was being rapidly drained away.

Remember, this is a team that has had losing baked into the DNA. The club has been a mess for so many years. It will take far longer than half a season for Brownie, POS and Gus to turn the ship around. But there have been numerous positive changes in recent months, and players are actually wanting to come here again. The mighty ship is slowly beginning to right itself...

As for Brownie, well, let's face it: some coaches are willing to take on shit propositions and take the hit to their reputation. Brownie is clearly one of them. He's astute enough to realise that head coaching roles are like hen's teeth, so when one comes along, you may as well grab it. Especially when there's a dearth of opportunities and a surplus of options.

Brownie took the Knights gig on knowing he was facing a monumental task rebuilding a crumbling club in a one club footy mad city. So what did he do? He attracted top shelf players, and blooded some future superstars. It was a thankless task, but the fact he could get players there, despite the on-field failings, speaks to his status amongst the wider playing group.

With the Warriors, he's done much the same. He's arrived at a club where the culture was battered, the roster was a mess, the salary cap was poorly managed. And you can see, quite clearly, that he's attempting to turn things around.

On top of all the issues he inherited, he's been hammered with injuries, he's had key players missing games for 'unspecified personal reasons', and he's playing the entire season away from the club's traditional home base. It's been a massive challenge.

Like many on here, I'm not convinced that Brownie is the longterm future of this club. But I'm also not convinced that he's not. Time will tell. But in the short term, between the impressive recruitment, the bold focus on blooding the next generation, and the incremental improvements on the field, I think things are looking more positive than they might appear on the ladder.

There's a sense that Brownie and POS know what the club needs to do, who they need to sign, and they're going about it in a very calculated and systematic way.

For all those that say dump Brownie and get a Super coach in, honestly, there is zero chance of that eventuating. There's a reason why the very top coaches rarely change clubs: they're acutely aware of how difficult it is to start again and perhaps even more conscious of their impressive win-loss records. The last thing a Bellamy or a Robinson would want is to tarnish their reputations by taking on a massive rebuild like the Warriors.

Keep in mind too that in the latest 2021 NRL Players Survey, Nathan Brown was voted the 5th best coach in the game - by the players themselves. He was only 1% off Trent Robinson, and beat Hasler and Ricky amongst others. The players rate him, and that's half the battle.

Also, for those speculating that there may be some plotting behind the scenes, bear in mind that POS and Brownie are VERY close mates; as are Gus and Brownie. I'd be most surprised if any of those machinations are in play.

I believed at the time of his appointment that Brownie was the best option available and still believe that today (though Flanagan would be next in line). We need to give him time to implement the drastic changes that are needed at all levels of the club. Yes, there will be plenty of pain along the way and perhaps realistically we're still a year or two away from being a genuine top eight contender. But I have faith in Gus, and confidence in POS, and all signs indicate that Robbo is impatient enough to invest for success.

So we've lost a bunch of games in a row, the finals are looking remote. But if we take a more realistic long view, it's very evident that changes are underway. Let's take a collective deep breath, reset expectations and get excited about next year when more of the fruits of this transformation will start to manifest.

Last edited:

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Also, for those speculating that there may be some plotting behind the scenes, bear in mind that POS and Brownie are VERY close mates; as are Gus and Brownie. I'd be most surprised if any of those machinations are in play.
So were Gus and Ivan. Maybe Gus wants to use Brown as an intermediary but in the end Gus is a winner. That is showing in the recruitment...which indicates something is happening, whether that involves Brown or not.

Reactions: Worried2Death

jonesy101

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 28, 2016
Ironically the loss to the Dragons might have still helped our top 8 chances with their 7th spot now teetering. Looks like up to a dozen players were celebrating at Paul Vaughn's house last night. We'll see what comes to light but some stand downs for their next game or longer might be in order. They have to be fair to the other clubs who are observing the protocols. A fine will not be enough.

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
We're all so reactive on this forum, myself included. One minute it's awesome Kosi is in the team - he's passionate and a welcome reprieve from the Fusitua/Ken show; next minute he's useless and should be thrown on the scrapheap. One minute the Warriors are making progress and all seems rosy, next we're going backwards and there's no hope.

I think we should all apply a little perspective to the recent losses and the overall position of the club. It's easy to say everything is hopeless after a series of bad wins, it's much more challenging to take the long view and say we're slowly building to something better.

I think the side look far more impressive this year than last. That may not be reflected on the ladder, and it may not be readily apparent every time they crack under pressure. But to me at least, they seem better drilled, more professional and more passionate: there's finally some real emotion when they lose.

I can watch this team, and to the extent that it's possible when they're losing so frequently, enjoy what I see. I get a little nervous again on game day. Under SK, that enjoyment, that vested interest was being rapidly drained away.

Remember, this is a team that has had losing baked into the DNA. The club has been a mess for so many years. It will take far longer than half a season for Brownie, POS and Gus to turn the ship around. But there have been numerous positive changes in recent months, and players are actually wanting to come here again. The mighty ship is slowly beginning to right itself...

As for Brownie, well, let's face it: some coaches are willing to take on shit propositions and take the hit to their reputation. Brownie is clearly one of them. He's astute enough to realise that head coaching roles are like hen's teeth, so when one comes along, you may as well grab it. Especially when there's a dearth of opportunities and a surplus of options.

Brownie took the Knights gig on knowing he was facing a monumental task rebuilding a crumbling club in a one town footy mad city. So what did he do? He attracted top shelf players, and blooded some future superstars. It was a thankless task, but the fact he could get players there, despite the on-field failings, speaks to his status amongst the wider playing group.

With the Warriors, he's done much the same. He's arrived at a club where the culture was battered, the roster was a mess, the salary cap was poorly managed. And you can see, quite clearly, that he's attempting to turn things around.

On top of all the issues he inherited, he's been hammered with injuries, he's had key players missing games for 'unspecified personal reasons', and he's playing the entire season away from the club's traditional home base. It's been a massive challenge.

Like many on here, I'm not convinced that Brownie is the longterm future of this club. But I'm also not convinced that he's not. Time will tell. But in the short term, between the impressive recruitment, the bold focus on blooding the next generation, and the incremental improvements on the field, I think things are looking more positive than they might appear on the ladder.

There's a sense that Brownie and POS know what the club needs to do, who they need to sign, and they're going about it in a very calculated and systematic way.

For all those that say dump Brownie and get a Super coach in, honestly, there is zero chance of that eventuating. There's a reason why the very top coaches rarely change clubs: they're acutely aware of how difficult it is to start again and perhaps even more conscious of their impressive win-loss records. The last thing a Bellamy or a Robinson would want is to tarnish their reputations by taking on a massive rebuild like the Warriors.

Keep in mind too that in the latest 2021 NRL Players Survey, Nathan Brown was voted the 5th best coach in the game - by the players themselves. He was only 1% off Trent Robinson, and beat Hasler and Ricky amongst others. The players rate him, and that's half the battle.

I believed at the time of his appointment that Brownie was the best option available and still believe that today (though Flanagan would be next in line). We need to give him time to implement the drastic changes that are needed at all levels of the club. Yes, there will be plenty of pain along the way and perhaps realistically we're still a year or two away from being a genuine top eight contender. But I have faith in Gus, and confidence in POS, and all signs indicate that Robbo is impatient enough to invest for success.

So we've lost a bunch of games in a row, the finals are looking remote. But if we take a more realistic long view, it's very evident that changes are underway. Let's take a collective deep breath, reset expectations and get excited about next year when more of the fruits of this transformation will start to manifest.
This is a great post Robbie. I do believe that unless Morgan is moved on at the end of the year we will still be in a world of hurt next season though.

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Honestly though, injuries had nothing to do with losing that game against the dragons. It was in the bag, the game was won with 8 minutes to go. they just capitulated..
Hear hear.

Im over the "injuries" excuse for not nailing out that game. They had more than enough talent on that park and from the position they were in its just unacceptable really.....at least i hope it is.

Choking this year seems to be an inherent problem even with those players that were missing and needs to be addressed.

That was just a really really bad loss no matter what type of spin people want to put on it.

As for are we in a better shape than last year? Im not sure, seemed Payten's mob played with more heart but that may just be perception. Recruitment wise definitely......POS absolute rockstar.....just start next season already.

Burncity warrior

1st Grade Fringe
May 11, 2021

I think we should all apply a little perspective to the recent losses and the overall position of the club. It's easy to say everything is hopeless after a series of bad wins, it's much more challenging to take the long view and say we're slowly building to something better.

Brownie took the Knights gig on knowing he was facing a monumental task rebuilding a crumbling club in a one town footy mad city. So what did he do? He attracted top shelf players, and blooded some future superstars. It was a thankless task, but the fact he could get players there, despite the on-field failings, speaks to his status amongst the wider playing group.

So we've lost a bunch of games in a row, the fi
So were Gus and Ivan. Maybe Gus wants to use Brown as an intermediary but in the end Gus is a winner. That is showing in the recruitment...which indicates something is happening, whether that involves Brown or not.

I respect your thoughts and evaluation and I do agree with alot you have stated. I remember when we first made the finals in 2001 after 6 long years of being in existence, we were supposed to be on the cusp of a golden era of NZ rugby league where the warriors created a dynasty and were a powerhouse for years to come...who would have thought 20 years later we would be still waiting. Not me.

Mate, I do see the changes but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be winning games either. Especially games that are almost unloseable like this past weekend. I'd probably have a more positive view of the club's situation as well if we had already been blessed with a sustained period of success instead of mediocrity year after year. I'm sick of this perpetual "rebuilding" phase or this "next year" mentality the club always seems to be parked in.

Recruitment has improved, they are learning how to juggle the salary cap more effectively and Gus Gould and POS are positive for the club. Reece Walsh is massive for the club going forward, not just for his on field ability but his marketing ability as well and ability to attract other players in the future. I agree on Brownie, he needs more time. But I'd still absolutely be on the lookout for a "supercoach" Bennett and Hasler have shown they are not scared of rebuilds, who's to say a Trent Robinson won't take the plunge?

I'm heartbroken Roger Tuivasa-Sheck won't be apart of any premiership or at least a deep dive into the finals. What an absolute pleasure to have him captain our club, just a champion in every sense. Plays with his heart and soul every week, never gets injured, is consistently our shining light.

We've been in this situation before where there is "light at the end of the tunnel". And yep, no light. Cronulla had to wait forty years I guess. Geez, I shouldn't be so damn negative because guess what, I'll watch next week and the week after that, and the week after that lol

Burncity warrior

1st Grade Fringe
May 11, 2021
Hear hear.

Im over the "injuries" excuse for not nailing out that game. They had more than enough talent on that park and from the position they were in its just unacceptable really.....at least i hope it is.

Choking this year seems to be an inherent problem even with those players that were missing and needs to be addressed.

That was just a really really bad loss no matter what type of spin people want to put on it.

As for are we in a better shape than last year? Im not sure, seemed Payten's mob played with more heart but that may just be perception. Recruitment wise definitely......POS absolute rockstar.....just start next season already.
Disgusting loss to be honest. Yeah, some of these games we bottled this year I reckon last year's mob would have iced. We haven't run a score up since the knights game last year and it doesn't look like we'll be running up a score on anybody this year. Not anytime soon anyway. Too busy trying to find ways to lose games. Better team "on paper" this year too...oh well, "next year" here we come again lol

Mr Frank White

Warriors 1st Grader
May 19, 2012

Look at Parra. Brad Arthur has been the coach for 9 years! Quite a few of those years fans were calling for his head. Certainly managed to turn that around.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Look at Parra. Brad Arthur has been the coach for 9 years! Quite a few of those years fans were calling for his head. Certainly managed to turn that around.
People are often to quick asking for the coaches head. Even when 2-3 coaches have the same playing group it would often be they have a great roster cause people see a few great things some of them do. Most of Cleary's tenure had people often asking for his despite them making the finals most years. Comments were often he'd get you to the finals but won't take you further. Common sense indicates to get further you need to make the finals first and history show most of our coaches have struggled with that.

I'm willing to give him more time. Lets see how he goes next year with what looks like a stronger squad which should have more experience. I'd also like to see how things would go if they could get the same side on the park for 3-4 games.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012

Enjoyed that. Brown is a cult figure in Newcastle, they could see what being in shit and a rebuild was like by the time he left.

You can see they are moving around the right pieces to make this side a defensive team, the NRL is a defensive game. If you do not have that, you are nowhere really, this consistency that the top sides show, is built on their defence.

The Warriors have been weak in all thirds of the field, Left, right, middle.

It takes a lot of work and time to fix those three fields of a defensive grid.

You cannot do it with players like the Wingers we had locked in long term, nor the centers we have been running until Aitken joined.

This year the Middle on the whole has gone up a level, but the edges have stayed the same.

In the middle, we are seeing more than one player throw out fifty tackle games, that is the start to having a tight center of the park. Egan and Curran are the new high tackle rate defenders this season. Jazz as a defensive player is very effective in the middle third, Tohu Harris say no more.

We have moved on from the problematic Wingers on our edges.

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and Montoya locked that right edge down, as good as any Warriors pairing off the ball.

Aitken and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck will tighten the left.

Next year we will need a smart option to replace Roger Tuivasa-Sheck the wing. Do that and the Warriors will be able to play like a real NRL team. A defensive team.

That is half of the Warriors biggest issues resolved.

We know we will have propping power.

Young Walsh and Johnson will complete the attack.

I am already looking to next year, I know we are all tired, but it really will be a good season given all the pieces are there to finally compete.

Last edited:

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
Ironically the loss to the Dragons might have still helped our top 8 chances with their 7th spot now teetering. Looks like up to a dozen players were celebrating at Paul Vaughn's house last night. We'll see what comes to light but some stand downs for their next game or longer might be in order. They have to be fair to the other clubs who are observing the protocols. A fine will not be enough.

Let's hope they don't win a game for the rest of the year

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
People are often to quick asking for the coaches head. Even when 2-3 coaches have the same playing group it would often be they have a great roster cause people see a few great things some of them do. Most of Cleary's tenure had people often asking for his despite them making the finals most years. Comments were often he'd get you to the finals but won't take you further. Common sense indicates to get further you need to make the finals first and history show most of our coaches have struggled with that.

I'm willing to give him more time. Lets see how he goes next year with what looks like a stronger squad which should have more experience. I'd also like to see how things would go if they could get the same side on the park for 3-4 games.
Its a very kiwi thing to call for the coaches head imo.

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
Also anyone notice how unhappy bunty was after scoring his first try of the season?
Shades of matulino

Reactions: Sup42

Canadian_WarriorFan

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 13, 2013

Can anybody post this?
It's not too interesting tbh, all it explains why Chad did what he did (misread the score) explained the injury (landed on his shoulder, AC joint) and he's going to attempt to try to play through the injury.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings