Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bulldogs 12-

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Bulldogs Mauling!

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Duly noted. While your application has been made in the wrong place and attention to detail is crucial in the role of Kata Fan Club membership admin, I am willing to still accept your expression of interest. I cannot, however, overlook the fact that you are clearly over qualified for the role. Perhaps Vice President may be a more suitable fit for a person of your undoubted intelligence and capacity for rational thought.
I am going to have to pass on this club..

Kata was strong today.

But did Fusitua score any tries?

Kata’s second maybe could have drawn his man and fed my boy a try to share the love.
I was kinda relieved he didn't overplay his new hand there, and that he just gassed it at a wide open line.

Made the kick an easier shot too I spose.

If I'm being picky rather than thump his chest at the Telly when Fusitua tipped the ball inside to him, it would have been nice to see him just run straight for the player that created that Try his wingman, still it was excellent support play by Kata.

Congrats to the boys for the great first up effort, they kept the doggies penned in and muzzled for most of the game. I expected the doggies to score a few more toward the end of the game, but the Warriors held firm to their credit. A real 80 minute effort.

Four observations to make:
  • The refs allowed the game to flow a lot more than previous years. Less penalties given, especially after the tackle was effected. Well done refs.
  • AK's goalkicking was superb. Well done young man.
  • Jazz's bellringer on Foran will be on the Smash Em Bro highlight reel for 2019. Well done Jazz - welcome back to Mt Smart Keiran.
  • Meat pies at $3.50 - 1995 prices!! Well done Warriors management!

bruce

Contributor
A lot was written about the goal kicking over the off season. Another hole left by Johnson.

I know the trials showed Keighran was capable but I was thinking there would be nerves stepping up to first grade so as long as he gets most of them and builds up by the time the finals come around.

After today what the F do I know. He kicked well.
85.71% to be precise:bookworm:;)
I think he has it over Burr, not saying Burr is no good, just that Papaili is very good.

bruce

Contributor
Whats everybodys thoughts on the attacker being able to be tackled in the air?? I've never liked the rule myself.
I think it is simple, the rule is there for safety, so who gives a feck if the player is attacking or defending. Sometimes these NRL types amaze me.

In fact Kata at right centre looked a million dollars
Heyzeuss spare me Mr. Brownstone, a million dollars? :eek: He had a very good game, but it wasn't perfect, especially with a poor pass to Fusitua early in the game, and as usual was involved in a bad count of attacking numbers. However he has ticker by the ton and is a handful as a runner. $300,000 is ample and they can spend the balance on somebody else.:bookworm:

The cynic in me says we just played the probable 2019 wooden spooners, don't lose your shit until we do that against a contender.

But fuck how composed, well drilled and dominant did we look? Clearly the players are benefitting from phase 2 of Corvo. Tactically all of Kearney's positional changes paid off brilliantly, and the new players fitted in seamlessly.....uber impressive start to the season.

Kata probably my MOTM.

Last edited:

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
I was kinda relieved he didn't overplay his new hand there, and that he just gassed it at a wide open line.

Made the kick an easier shot too I spose.

If I'm being picky rather than thump his chest at the Telly when Fusitua tipped the ball inside to him, it would have been nice to see him just run straight for the player that created that Try his wingman, still it was excellent support play by Kata.
I was watching the players faces after they scored and looking at the people behind them. I dunno what it is but i reckon i read people pretty well. There was a lot of honest joy when someone scored, well beyond what I have seen in other years. I think because it was so many different players and that there would have been a lot of unknown even for the team, maybe a bit of relief as well. But their eyes shone and I dont think there was any resentment out there at all.
Maybe it was the knowledge that this is a new team, with great people their to support each other and get shit done. I'm sure a bit of brittleness will move in as they start to get tempered by the season. But for now I'm going to enjoy watching a team, enjoy their camaraderie.

Hiku tackled .
Kata passed the ball
Jazz added impact .

The players as a whole have addressed some issues
We saw it with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck last year an his defence
an now It has continued across the whole team.
Ah mau is a genuine big body ..An his work rate is high
Burr I thought gets his nose through the line
an quick play the balls .Definetly will suit Luke an Roach
Our forward pack will be dominant this year
Our back 3 are some of the best
But our biggest improvers are our centers
I'm just absolutely stoked .

Ask Phil Rothfield. He'll say Tom Trbojevic for one as he plays on the wing for Australia. I'll give you a minute to let that sink in for a bit.

Jokes aside it was good to see him involved in the attack a lot more instead of being spent doing early set hit ups coming out of our end.
Tom got owned last night. His team are specials for the spoon IMO after Parra. The difference was chalk n cheese. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is all class.

Whats everybodys thoughts on the attacker being able to be tackled in the air?? I've never liked the rule myself.

I understand the rule is likely due to the attacker having the momentum running onto the ball, so how else it a flat footed defender supposed to have a fair shot at it(thats the only reason I can think of why it would make sense).

It was good to see Kearney address it, and say he was going to raise the issue with the NRL. I'm not sure the answer to the solution, but hes completely right they always look so awkward and dangerous. It's only a matter of time before someone lands on their neck.
Dumb rule. They 're missing the point. Doesn't matter if the attacker has momentum. He can still be dragged off centre and land on his neck or head or spine.

Kata was strong today.

But did Fusitua score any tries?

Kata’s second maybe could have drawn his man and fed my boy a try to share the love.
Was thinking the same thing. I think my question about the reason why the centers switched was answered. It wasn't because his passing is better left to right. The 2 passes I recall from him to Fusitua were awkward 2-handers. I think it was because Ken was tired of not getting the ball. Not saying that Hiku was feeding Ken a lot. Just noting there is no other real reason.

Fusitua not getting a try could be a bad thing. Might indicate that Kata is hogging opportunities. Thing is, Fusitua used to be a sure thing for try, does that mean Kata is draining our point scoring? Cos I guarantee Kata ain't going to make up the 20 odd tries Fusitua got.

Is this SK transitioning Fusitua to centre and Kata to wing? Fusitua could be as good or better than Toopi.

Beastmode

There’s always next year.
Contributor
Was thinking the same thing. I think my question about the reason why the centers switched was answered. It wasn't because his passing is better left to right. The 2 passes I recall from him to Fusitua were awkward 2-handers. I think it was because Ken was tired of not getting the ball. Not saying that Hiku was feeding Ken a lot. Just noting there is no other real reason.

Fusitua not getting a try could be a bad thing. Might indicate that Kata is hogging opportunities. Thing is, Fusitua used to be a sure thing for try, does that mean Kata is draining our point scoring? Cos I guarantee Kata ain't going to make up the 20 odd tries Fusitua got.

Is this SK transitioning Fusitua to centre and Kata to wing? Fusitua could be as good or better than Toopi.

Yes, totally agree with you.

I like the idea of them switching positions throughout the game on attack. On defence, you keep Fusitua on the wing to defend the high bomb if they’re attacking from 20. Otherwise everything else is fair game.

Keep the opposition guessing as they’re two very different players.

Reactions: Worried2Death
Status
Not open for further replies.