Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
If anybody is in need of a Monday morning laugh, have a listen to the commentary on these highlights :

It's a young fella who has Aspergers. I quite enjoyed his take on the game, showed a lot of energy and is living out his dream. Good on him, and good on the clubs for giving him a go.

Heres a story on him from earlier last year for anyone interested -

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Aug 26, 2017
Auckland
It's a young fella who has Aspergers. I quite enjoyed his take on the game, showed a lot of energy and is living out his dream. Good on him, and good on the clubs for giving him a go.

Heres a story on him from earlier last year for anyone interested -

Holy crap, I legit thought it was a chick... a very manly chick, but a chick all the same.
Actually thought the calling seemed pretty good.

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
May 24, 2013
Watching the trial it was interesting to see Hiku and Kata switched sides was this a one off or a permanent move? Kata gave a nice ball to Ken for his second try which was surprising. Looking forward to the season liking the new direct approach of the team

And Harris switching to left also. It's as if they read some of our convos last year and put it to the test.

Questions I came away with:

Did the on-field disagreement between Ken and Kata last season mean more than we thought and force SK to switch Kata over?

Is Kata actually a natural left to right passer who was stifled on the left?

Did Ken's step inside instead of sprinting for the corner prove he lacks full confidence in his size and speed?

Did Hiku' grubber to the in goal indicate that SK is toying with the possibility of Hiku at 6? That would leave the door open for Fusitua to go centre.

It feels good to say that preseason looks to have improved individuals. Don't think I've ever said that before. To a man they've either put more muscle on and/or improved their game in some way.

Defence has continued where they left off. Still solid.

They look composed. I'm excited. Best part is most Aussie pundits pick us to fall out of the 8 this year. I don't think we will.

Using both sides of our backline makes us lethal. Our back 5 looks awesome.

I expect AK and Chanel Harris-Tavita to share the responsibility but also think Hiku will figure. It looks like Chanel Harris-Tavita has been told to focus on high percentage plays and put away the flash ones until basics are embedded.

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
May 10, 2012
Only early days, but there seemed a quite confidence about the way they played. Tohu Harris what a player !

I'm with you.

A lot of people getting a bit antsy about where the points are going to come from.

It's a moot point for me.

The composure and (dare I say) process like nature of how the team got straight into the game and rumbled through their sets is to me infinitely more important to get right. Quite simply, there are no points without that work being done.

I'm expecting some clunky attack as the new guys settle in. But I'm also expecting the defensive structures to be ready to go from minute 1

Warrior482

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 12, 2012
Just rewatching the game and Big Kenny is a standout.. fook moi he does alot of work.
The bloke is providing massive value to any team he plays for.

I remember being in absolute awe of Manu in his prime - I'm talking 2010 to probably 2014? Never thought we'd have the like again. 200 mpg, strike rate, intimidation, power. Ken will imo be as good this year

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Such a very astute change to implement on a team suffering the loss of a star halfback, will definitely help spread opposition defensive lines..
That is without mentioning the panic that ensues when Roger Tuivasa-Sheck pokes his nose into the line. He is more dangerous than Shaun Johnson, and faster.

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
May 24, 2013
Just rewatching the game and Big Kenny is a standout.. fook moi he does alot of work.
The bloke is providing massive value to any team he plays for.

I remember being in absolute awe of Manu in his prime - I'm talking 2010 to probably 2014? Never thought we'd have the like again. 200 mpg, strike rate, intimidation, power. Ken will imo be as good this year

Can't agree. His step inside indicated to me that he's not as confident in his speed. It's not the first time I've seen him shy away from pinning his ears back. Watch his other games. A true winger pins his ears for the corner. Especially Manu. Nothing is stopping that Mack truck.

Don't get me wrong. I think he has a great attitude. I think he is improving. No doubt he makes hard yards. He caught 'one' at the back. I hope he becomes a beast. But until he runs all over his opposite on a consistent basis on the way to the tryline I'll reserve any premature accolades.

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
May 24, 2013
There will be a lot of attacking stuff not used in the trials which are about executing the basics.
Papali'i alluded to that after the match when he said because it is a preseason match you don't put quite as much effort in(paraphrasing here) because there's no 2 pts. Suggesting they weren't playing hard.

I was surprised to hear such honesty in public. I'm sure he'll get a smack on the ear for it.

But if that was a moderate then perhaps they have more gears in reserve?

That would be pleasing to see.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
His step inside indicated to me that he's not as confident in his speed. It's not the first time I've seen him shy away from pinning his ears back. Watch his other games. A true winger pins his ears for the corner.
He is a slow starter. I remember Mount Wellington assuring me years ago Ken had all the skills and IMO we have seen all those skills at some time. So he has what it takes, maybe just lacks some confidence but that will come, guaranteed.

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
May 24, 2013
I know it's probably been already said but how good does young Paul Turner look as a future star? He was a stand out in a rather rusty performance from the ISP side. Put on a few decent shots too.

He looked far more dangerous in attack than Perham did last season.

I saw enough on his fb page to make think he could be a good half. I was surprised to see he wasn't even mentioned Preseason in the halves race. Go watch his videos. The guy can set up a try and his passing in the line is pretty hot.

I'd put him ahead of the rest.

Reactions: Worried2Death

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
May 24, 2013
He is a slow starter. I remember Mount Wellington assuring me years ago Ken had all the skills and IMO we have seen all those skills at some time. So he has what it takes, maybe just lacks some confidence but that will come, guaranteed.
Time will tell I guess. Hope he goes well. But I'm pretty good at smelling out peeps who are gunshy.

Reactions: bruce and Inruin

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Time will tell I guess. Hope he goes well. But I'm pretty good at smelling out peeps who are gunshy.
He isn't gun shy. He proved that with Angus Crighton. He has balls all right.

Reactions: Worried2Death

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I said to Mount Wellington, way back then, if they don't bite as pups they will never bite, but I am sure he can bite.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings